E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2012, 04:22 PM   #1
GotVANOS?

My Ride: 2003 325xi Touring
m54 vs N54. Whats the difference (besides the turbo.)

Just a random question that I was pondering, but what are the differences between the M54 and N54? YES, I know the N54 is turbocharged, I got it. I assume the N54 has a different DME tune, but besides the tune and turbo are the engines themselves much different. Theoretically could you bolt (prbbly wouldnt be that simple) a turbo from an N54 on the engine of a E46?

Shes not your average grocery getter. This 2.5L of fury doesnt mess around.

E21<E30>E36>E46>E90>F30

Quote:
5TFUUU, If one more person tells me to sell my car and buy an ///M Im going to light their family on fire and make them watch.
*****BUY MY 330XI AUTO TRANS AND PARTS. CHEAP!!!******
GotVANOS? is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:28 PM   #2
jcns

My Ride: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotVANOS? View Post
Just a random question that I was pondering, but what are the differences between the M54 and N54? YES, I know the N54 is turbocharged, I got it. I assume the N54 has a different DME tune, but besides the tune and turbo are the engines themselves much different. Theoretically could you bolt (prbbly wouldnt be that simple) a turbo from an N54 on the engine of a E46?
"Theoretically" yes.
If they can stuff a V10 from the M5 into a e30...
jcns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:31 PM   #3
B_Cyrus
Banned User

My Ride: Malfouf
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotVANOS? View Post
unless it was a direct bolt on, it wouldn't be worth it financially. There are turbo kits out there for the M54 that are cheap enough already.
B_Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:53 PM   #4
golf_234

My Ride: 07 C230 MT
they have a very similar block and share the same materials (aluminum with cast iron cylinder liners if i remember correctly) but by no means would anything be a bolt on

wikipedia
Quote:
Surprisingly the engine block of the N54B30 is similar to the older generation BMW M54B30 engine - all aluminum with cast iron cylinder liners. This is because the newer N52 aluminum-magnesium engine block was not deemed as suitable for turbo-charging with the above-mentioned engineering goals. As a result, the N54B30 is physically heavier (195 kg (430 lb)) than the very light (161 kg (355 lb)) N52 engine. This also explains why the engine block size is identical to the older M54B30 at 2979 cc/181 in³ instead of the 2996 cc/182 in³ of the new N52B30 3.0L engine. There are some differences between the M54 and N54; the M54 is a single-piece block, with the water pump housing cast into the block, and is a closed-deck design, compared to the N54's two-piece block with a separate bedplate, electric water pump, and open deck.

2008 135i | Year 1 of the 1 | AW/Black Boston Leather | N54 | JB4 | Map 5 | 19" Matte Black CSLs | Comfort Access
Adaptive Xenons | Premium/Sport | Cold Weather | Brembos | Clear Bra | Auto Dim | Rain Sensor | 350 WHP

Last edited by golf_234; 05-09-2012 at 04:55 PM.
golf_234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
325, m54, turbo