E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-18-2004, 11:29 PM   #1
pimpn04coupe

My Ride: some hooptie
Switching my 2 10s w7s for 1 13w7 ported....

Hey guys, what are your opinons of 2 10w7 sealed versus 1 13w7 ported? Im thinkin of going this way as i am in search of more bass... right now, the subs are facing the front of the car and my rear seats are partially folded down... im thinking of once again facing the sub toward the front of the car and having the port facing the front and knockin out the ski pass... i have a couple questions... which way should i face the subs and which way should i face the port, and also im knocking out the ski pass either way.... thanks
pimpn04coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-20-2004, 01:53 AM   #2
04titan

My Ride: 08 G37S
How are you going to knock out that ski pass? i was wondering about this when i bring my ride in to get cu$tomized... but i was only thinking of a single sub 12 inch setup...somebody was saying that a box ported with a slit on the side was best for the w7's..but for the 13?
04titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 01:40 PM   #3
smoke

My Ride: 2002, 325Ci
i find the most bass when the subwoofer is facing towards the back of the car, but then again, you're talking about ported, are you really going with the 13.5/w7, that **** is crucial?
Old 03-20-2004, 04:12 PM   #4
pimpn04coupe

yea im goign with w7 for sure, im in love with the sound of it... supppsingly a ported 13w7 should bang on my 2 10s w7 sealed.... thats the reason im switching... plus it would be a more efficient setup because im gonna desing is so that i dont have to have my seats folded down... more input please!
Old 03-21-2004, 03:12 PM   #5
04titan

just got back from audio experts...

in Oxnard,CA....anyone have their ride cu$tomized over there? Went with a buddy of mine and asked about a complete setup for my ride. It jsut so happens that one of the guys working there was cleaning up his car and bumping his bass, thinking he prob has a HUGE setup, i walked up to see that he only had a single 10" w7 setup i was convinced right there that that is what i wanted, we walked in and he started to punch some numbers for me:
Kenwood touch screen cd/dvd/mp3 head unit
4 jl speakers (interior)
4 jl separates (interior)
jl 300x4 amp (for int)
jl 500x1 amp (for sub)
jl 10w7 sub with ported box (long slit on the side)
sub and amps will be customized to blend in with the rest of the trunk, flushed and carpeted.

came out to $4610 and some change, said that he'll drop it to $4500 even, and i spoke of an alarm because i don't have one, just the blinking clown nose (dealer programed it without the oem alarm) and he said that he would throw in a basic on for free.

how does this deal sound? i'm going to shop around some more, but this is a reputable shop, and i know it cost $$, btw, there were 2 brand new SUV's in the shop waiting to be customized Lexus and Mercedes.
Old 03-21-2004, 03:16 PM   #6
04titan

oh, and the dealer said that we would get the most bass into the cabin would be with the ski pass knocked out and the port facing into the cabin...but i would try both directions and see which suits me
Old 03-21-2004, 03:57 PM   #7
pimpn04coupe

that sounds OK i guess, but i think that you are really not going to like the jl speakers, they are not the greatest speakers out... plus i have my current setup for sale, the 2 10w7 in a custom plexiglass box with panels everything built for an 04 ti silver coupe cuz it fits the trunk perfectly... lemme know if your interested it will def sound 100x better than a single 10w7 ported!
Old 03-21-2004, 04:09 PM   #8
pimpn04coupe

btw here is a pic incase your interested....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC0171.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	71059  
Old 03-21-2004, 04:13 PM   #9
04titan

why are you getting rid of your 10's? and what would you recommend for speakers instead of the jl? i heard alot of good things about infinity kappa and mb quartz.
Old 03-21-2004, 04:14 PM   #10
04titan

damn that looks like a pretty sweet setup you got! WHY are you gonna get rid of it?
Old 03-21-2004, 04:25 PM   #11
pimpn04coupe

im actually going for 1 13w7 ported... and also for much better speakers, go to focal, ull never be disappointed with them, i have focal utopias... but going this route will prolly change the 4500 total to 6500 total... but yea my 2 10w7s sound amazingly clean and loud, but i want more deep bass thats why im going toward the 13inch dub7... if your interested in the setup, we can work something out.. we are both in la and you have a ti silver car.... and the setup is only 3 months old
Old 03-21-2004, 04:44 PM   #12
04titan

3 months huh? you get bored easily i'll pm you in a bit, but i gotta jet for now...another dumb question..how do you access your spare tire? and you had that sweet setup and DIDN'T knock out the ski pass? check your PM later!
Old 03-21-2004, 08:03 PM   #13
pimpn04coupe

Spare tire is no longer accessable... i dont need a spare anyways because i have aftermarket rims so a spare is pointless... the way i had this setup was that the right back seat was folded down and the subs fire into the cabin with 0 rattles and 0 distortion... i did this only because i didnt want to knock out my ski pass, but i am doing so very soon
Old 03-22-2004, 06:57 PM   #14
pimpn04coupe

ron i need your opinon, im sure you are familiar with this!!! please help!