E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Money Matters

Money Matters
Financial, Stock, Investment etc. posts here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2012, 01:01 PM   #21
sladha

My Ride: 330ci|ActiveHybrid7
I find it hard to believe that normal E-Trade customers trading relatively small accounts will have equal access, let alone any access, to getting in on this IPO when bigger traders are competing for a piece of something that will be in short/limited supply.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:03 PM   #22
Nervous

My Ride: 01 330CI 6MT ZSP EU3
Well, read the article, that was exactly the point to let RETAIL customers of E-Trade (and ONLY E-Trade!) to participate in IPO.
Nervous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:04 PM   #23
sladha

My Ride: 330ci|ActiveHybrid7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nervous View Post
Well, yeah, it is not guaranteed that you'll get the shares, but you still may put an order.
So hypothetically, if I were to open up an account today, I'd be an E-Trade customer. Come next week, I can put in an order - although not guaranteed to get shares - but still eligible, with no minimum account requirement?

It seems unlikely, but I wouldn't mind giving them a call to find out the exact requirements. If not for Facebook IPO, then for other IPOs in the future.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:16 PM   #24
Wraisil

My Ride: 2010 Infiniti G37
Quote:
Well, read the article, that was exactly the point to let RETAIL customers of E-Trade (and ONLY E-Trade!) to participate in IPO.
It's not only E-Trade that will let retail customers participate in the IPO. At TDAmeritrade you just need a $250k account or to have made 30 trades in the past three months to be eligible to participate in the IPO. Fidelitiy requires a $500k account.

E-Trade is just "another" brokerage which is offering the IPO to retail customers. They will have their own private rules to determine who is eligible and you can be fairly sure those rules will include a minimum account size as part of their criteria.

Most brokerages also have a minimum hold time for those who invest in an IPO and will exclude you from future IPO offerings if you do not adhere to those as well, just as an FYI.

Last edited by Wraisil; 05-10-2012 at 01:17 PM.
Wraisil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:24 PM   #25
Nervous

I meant particularly the Facebook IPO. So, only E-trade offers Facebook IPO for retail customers. Accounts with 250k are not retail in my understanding.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:27 PM   #26
Nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by sladha View Post
So hypothetically, if I were to open up an account today, I'd be an E-Trade customer. Come next week, I can put in an order - although not guaranteed to get shares - but still eligible, with no minimum account requirement?

It seems unlikely, but I wouldn't mind giving them a call to find out the exact requirements. If not for Facebook IPO, then for other IPOs in the future.
I don't know these kind of details. I just know that I got the invitation in email and my friend already put an order for that (I'll pass). And this is one time deal between E-Trade and Facebook to offer 'retail IPO', nobody guarantee that E-Trade will offer something like that for future IPOs....
Old 05-10-2012, 01:28 PM   #27
Wraisil

My Ride: 2010 Infiniti G37
Retail accounts generally refer to any individual investor accounts of only their personal money with a total worth of under $1 million per the SEC guidance on identifying brokerage accounts.
Wraisil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:30 PM   #28
Nervous

Fine, but still E-Trade doesn't have any limits on size of the account (at least explicitly) unlike other brokers like AmeriTrade.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:50 PM   #29
Dinan e36

My Ride: LEXUS IS350
Send a message via AIM to Dinan e36
You can't trust a large company with no debt.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:46 PM   #30
GRIFFIN
NWS

My Ride: 04 330i zsp,zpp,zcw
so whos buying?

** Removed - Please stop - Tim330i **
*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
* Continuing to put animated images in your sig will get you banned - Tim330i *
**You make me so horny.- Tim330i **
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
I can honestly say that because of Griffin, i am desensitized to alot of wierd stuff!
GRIFFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:13 PM   #31
Nervous

Well, it is tempting.... Most likely the stock will go up from the IPO price ($34-$38) to $45-$50 on the first day.... To buy or not to buy?....
Old 05-15-2012, 09:41 PM   #32
Raymond42262

My Ride: Is German
Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post
this is so true
so much money is "made" just being a middle man in trades of imaginary papers...
how do you create actual wealth just doing that? as soon as people lose confidence in the market... plop
down it goes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Rick View Post
I agree... But unfortunately a lot of things these days are based upon popularity instead of production.

They will raise a crapload of money then tank HUGE. Wait until their next big security flaw comes out... And it will.
Quote:
Well, it is tempting.... Most likely the stock will go up from the IPO price ($34-$38) to $45-$50 on the first day.... To buy or not to buy?....
My guess is that the best days of FB are behind them. It is already facing a back lash in the US although it is still popular overseas. But MySpace was popular too, and so was AOL. Something better will come along and replace it. GM pulled their advertising from FB today because no one was clicking on their advertising space. Is that an aberration or a sign of the future ? Who knows but the stock market keeps dropping every day. Bad signs for an IPO.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:46 PM   #33
Old Rum

My Ride: 04mtXI 02mtX5 13F30
Ffn
Old Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:58 PM   #34
Nervous

Huh?
Old 05-17-2012, 04:09 PM   #35
Raymond42262

Quote:
Originally Posted by maine325xi View Post
Ffn
Quote:
Huh?
FFN is Friendfinder Network. I guess its cool if you need a date.

FB is Facebook, initial pricing is 38.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=FB&ql=0

I wonder how it will do.

There is an awful lot of hype for the stock.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:51 PM   #36
Raymond42262

Any predictions ?
Old 05-17-2012, 05:55 PM   #37
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
I meant particularly the Facebook IPO. So, only E-trade offers Facebook IPO for retail customers. Accounts with 250k are not retail in my understanding.
A lot of custodial firms are requiring 500k minimum, and yes, retail brokerage accounts can have that kind of money in them. Active day traders use retail accounts all the time, however when you have that kind of money to play with and you are a big time trader, clearly you better have a good tax advisor to back you up if your money isn't in a managed (non-retail) account.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:05 PM   #38
Old Rum

My Ride: 04mtXI 02mtX5 13F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond42262 View Post
FFN is Friendfinder Network. I guess its cool if you need a date.

FB is Facebook, initial pricing is 38.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=FB&ql=0

I wonder how it will do.

There is an awful lot of hype for the stock.
FFN bought 50k shares at .99 on Monday will sell tomorrow at 2.50
Old Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:04 PM   #39
Nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond42262 View Post
Any predictions ?
It will open at 50 tomorrow. In first month it will be around 60.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:56 AM   #40
vids_blk323Ci
DFW

My Ride: JB 323Ci SP PP
Send a message via AIM to vids_blk323Ci
Im in to see who gets in on this. Who has it for the layman like us.. Just e-trade? Schwab, Fidelity, UBS??

Dinan Stage I S/W | ACS RSB | ///M FSB |UUC TMEs & Pulleys |Ate Slotted Discs | ScanGuageII | RockyMounts MTB Carrrier | OEM Rear Clears | LED Euro City Lights & Rear Fogs | Two-Tone Suede DIY | ACS Pedals | Bimmian Gauge Rings & M3 Face | Smoked Frnt Corners w/ Luxeon LEDs | EAS CF Roundels | JLevi Ti CF trim | Blk Suede shift/ e-brake boots | ECS Smoked Frnt Bumper Reflectors | DICE Duo
vids_blk323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote