E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2009, 10:18 PM   #1
joebuttonz4

My Ride: 01 325ci
engine idle trouble

A few days ago i started my car and the it started to shake and rpm jumped up and down for a few seconds and then shut off. Now this problem happened about 3 months ago and i took it to a local mechanic and he ran a diagnostic and found that the car need a tune up. so it seemed to fix the problem but now the same problem has returned and i know it cant need another tune up. At first i thought is was watered down gas but i have refueled twice and in two different places.

Can you guys give me any insight to what the problem could possible be.
i have a 01 325ci manual
joebuttonz4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:27 PM   #2
mhagley323

My Ride: 330i
mine does this as well sometimes first thing in the morning and cold.

03' 330i
Mods
|M Tech II|P46| Orion V2|Painted Rear Diffuser and Moldings|Clears|Painted Grills|Koni FSD|Eibach|M6|WeissLicht LED|

09' ///M5
Mods
|BMW Performance Gloss Grills, Gills and Reflectors|SuperSprint|RPI|WeissLicht LED|
mhagley323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 02:18 PM   #3
Autobot325i

My Ride: 2003 325i E46
Send a message via AIM to Autobot325i
like a winter morning pee
Old 01-27-2009, 01:15 PM   #4
BB BMW

My Ride: 04 330ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebuttonz4 View Post
A few days ago i started my car and the it started to shake and rpm jumped up and down for a few seconds and then shut off. Now this problem happened about 3 months ago and i took it to a local mechanic and he ran a diagnostic and found that the car need a tune up. so it seemed to fix the problem but now the same problem has returned and i know it cant need another tune up. At first i thought is was watered down gas but i have refueled twice and in two different places.

Can you guys give me any insight to what the problem could possible be.
i have a 01 325ci manual
Do a search on VANOS.

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson
BB BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:49 PM   #5
Tater49

My Ride: 04' G35 Coupe
Its gotta be the VANOS, I have just gotten used to it. My car only turned off once, but my RPM's surge sometimes until the car is warm.

2000 328i 5 Spd Black on Black SOLD!

2004 G35 Coupe 6 Spd Gray on Black Current
Daily

FS. JB Racing Lightweight Flywheel (Non-M 6 Speed ONLY) - $450 obo

FS. Spec Stage 3 Clutch Kit (Non-M 6 Speed ONLY) - $400 obo

Tater49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:48 PM   #6
Azn_Rabbit

My Ride: 325i 2002
Send a message via AIM to Azn_Rabbit
cold start problem

Hey guys i work in BMW as a tech part time and i know this problem because i have fix it on my E46 you have to send it to the dealership they have to do a complete encoding plus a software update basically what the software does is that it raises the RPM in the morning so that the cold start will not misfire...
Azn_Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:57 PM   #7
Tater49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azn_Rabbit View Post
Hey guys i work in BMW as a tech part time and i know this problem because i have fix it on my E46 you have to send it to the dealership they have to do a complete encoding plus a software update basically what the software does is that it raises the RPM in the morning so that the cold start will not misfire...
Are you sure the seal reair kit for the VANOS wont fix the cold morning problem?

Daily

Old 01-27-2009, 11:53 PM   #8
Azn_Rabbit

My Ride: 325i 2002
Send a message via AIM to Azn_Rabbit
300% sure its a program thing if u want to test if the seal is bad on the vanos just open ur oil cap if there is a engine difference from opening then ur vanos seal is sealing all the oil and sec if its a vanos problem it would be the "vanos motor" that is bad because the seals on those dont fail as much as the new E90. and they are a bitch to replace because there are 2 cooper rings that are localed in the back have to take out everything its a 9 hr job but ya

the cold start happens like once or twice like every month in cold weather....... if i was you i would not try to fix it unless it happens every other day then ya it will bug me then i would send it to the dealership the Flash the DME but u know its not free and there is no one else that can do it other independents " aftermarket" just make stuff like this worse they think they know but they dont just give it back to the bmw techs and they will fix it

" not trying to tell you guys that u cant do or telling you guys to bring more work to the dealership i am just saying what i have been seeing alote of my work coming from " independent mistakes"

but i will post up that serivce bulliten up for you guys if i remeber it will give u details on why,how, and what is happening its cool if i for get just email me i am on this once a year
Azn_Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:09 AM   #9
rsr e46

My Ride: 328ci
/\/\/\keep us posted on this my car does the same thing every morning....
rsr e46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:21 AM   #10
Tater49

Yea same let me know!

Daily

Old 01-28-2009, 10:57 AM   #11
mhagley323

My Ride: 330i
mine has a rough idle and sometimes "underheating." But never stalls or shuts off... And it makes no sounds like vanos related "rocks in a tin can"

03' 330i
Mods
|M Tech II|P46| Orion V2|Painted Rear Diffuser and Moldings|Clears|Painted Grills|Koni FSD|Eibach|M6|WeissLicht LED|

09' ///M5
Mods
|BMW Performance Gloss Grills, Gills and Reflectors|SuperSprint|RPI|WeissLicht LED|
mhagley323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 12:43 PM   #12
parkerthompson

My Ride: 328i and 330xi
currently, my 328i 1999 e46 has been throwing the eml, check engine, and traction lights as well. I had a pinched air hose on the left side of the engine to the air pump that might have caused my oxygen sensors to get fouled up. Also, the air pump had begun to squeel a bit for a few minutes then would quiet down. Anyway, i replaced the kinked hose and the pump seems to have quieted down, but i wonder if any of this had any thing to do with the fault code. I had Jb Eurotech put it on their "$19,000.00 "
bmw service computer, and they told me i needed a new throttle body assembly. and that the bmw tsb regarding the fault codes i had suggest not only replacing the throttle body, but also the entire friggen wiring harness.
The shop also said that i should have the updated software managment installed for another $100.00 in addition to the $800.00 for the throttle body and install. they did a smoke test of the vacuum system and said it came back all good, but i wonder if a leak could exist where the adjuster unit attaches to the block and they didnt find it or whether the adjuster unit is bad or if the throttle position sensor is bad or if it is a bad idle control valve. I replaced the throttle body with a Used one from Pams Auto and i still get the same codes with my piece of crap code reader although i now have another code that states p1580 mechanical throttle valve stuck . could the throttle cable have been installed incorrectly at the mechanics shop or does this mean that my used throttle body i purchased from pams auto salvage in St. Cloud minnesota, is faulty? or do i just need the software on my car flashed and updated with the new software? any body else having a solution to this aside from replacing the oxy sensors, the idle control sensor, the vanos seal replacement, etc etc... paid for diagnosis $120.00 Used Throttle body$160.00 and the Mechanic to install used throttle body and still the same problem. do i pay to uninstall the new used throttle body and return it to pams auto salvage in St.Cloud, exchange it and reinstall it again or what.

Last edited by parkerthompson; 02-07-2009 at 12:46 PM.
parkerthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 01:16 PM   #13
inlinesicks

My Ride: E46, Jeep, Subaru
I would just replace the vanos seals instead of trying to band-aid the problem with a software update, its really not a difficult DIY.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:20 AM   #14
DrkSide_RbL

My Ride: 99' 328i Sport Sedan
Send a message via AIM to DrkSide_RbL
@parkerthompson
the machine is right...you just need to get a new throttle body b/c the sensors imbedded in the throttle body are bad. There are only 3 things that could go wrong related to this problem:

1. Throttle flaps get stuck due to sticky residue which can be cleaned out.
2. Throttle position sensors are bad which is imbedded into the throttle body.
3. Wire harness is not plugged into throttle body correctly or the wire harness itself is faulty.

If any of these issues happen it will send a code to the computer which will put the car into limp mode.

EML+ASC (traction control) lights are throttle body related issues.

Last edited by DrkSide_RbL; 05-18-2012 at 02:24 AM.
DrkSide_RbL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:02 AM   #15
Dax75

My Ride: 330 ci SE
Could this not be the fuel evaporation valve?
Dax75 is offline   Reply With Quote