E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-21-2012, 10:14 PM   #1
jbehr99

My Ride: 2005 330CI Vert ZHP
Aux Input Need help!!! auxiliary input, 2005 RADIO

Hello, first of all, I have spent hours reading through the various aux threads to see if someone had a solution to my problem and could not find any. All of the problems people normally have with the aux is that there radio is not compatible with the aux feature in the first place. Here is a little back round information on my car. I have a 2005 330CI vert. I have the CD53 Alpine radio with the mode button and my radio p/n is 65-12-6 943-429. The head unit was manufactured in may 2005 so my radio for sure has the aux capabilities. I have the oem BMW iPod interface hooked up to my car as well. I ordered a BMW aux cable from my BMW dealer and installed it today. I followed the instructions exactly, hooked the cable up to the back of my head unit, there is only one hole the cable will fit in so its really a no brainer. I turned on the car to test it, hit the aux button and scrolled through the modes a few times but no aux showed up. I then plugged in my iPod to the aux cable because I thought maybe there had to be a device connected for it to recognize the aux, that did not work either. I tried un-plugging and replugging cables with no success, I fiddled around with it for about two hours as well. I consider my self a decent diy guy, but for the life of me I can not figure out this aux thing. Is it possible I have a bad cable? lol
All of your guys help is greatly appreciated. I have included some pictures as well to aid in you guys helping me. The first picture is the head unit information and the second one is the aux cable hooked in to the head unit cable mount that you stick into the back of the head unit (aux cable is the gray one on the left).
Thanks, Jacob

This is the head unit info

The gray one on the left is the aux cable that goes into the back of the head unit. The black cable on the right has something to do with the sound from the iPod interface. I am not sure what the other black cable dangling down does, if someone knows this and would like to tell me that would be great!

Thanks again for your guys help
jbehr99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:31 PM   #2
Ballistic325

My Ride: slow and steady
I can't help with your problem... but the additional black connector that you pointed out is for the CD Changer.

Have you tried disconnecting the iPod input and using only the Aux?

Good luck with finding a solution!

I can help with
* Reading Codes / Coding your car
* R&R FCAs, Tie Rods, Sway links....
* RTABs

Need an RTAB tool? Or clutch fan and water pump tools? PM me.
Ballistic325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:25 AM   #3
NorCalZman

My Ride: 05 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT
I have a 05 with Nav and my dealer told me it is not possible to have both a OEM iPod interface and aux plug. Bummed me out but I found some aftermarket solutions that allow this.
Added by me: OEM Alarm, OEM heated seats, OEM aux kit, OEM Bluetooth, intravee, M3 strut brace, BMW Performance Intake, Nappa leather arm rest, updated LCM (triple blink, euro hazards, trifecta lighting, 3 stage brakes), temp gauge mod
NorCalZman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:44 AM   #4
jbehr99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballistic325 View Post
I can't help with your problem... but the additional black connector that you pointed out is for the CD Changer.

Have you tried disconnecting the iPod input and using only the Aux?

Good luck with finding a solution!
I will try this tonight, just using the aux and disconnecting the iPod interface. Thanks for the good advice. I will post an update after.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:47 AM   #5
sna77
OEM ///Member

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalZman View Post
I have a 05 with Nav and my dealer told me it is not possible to have both a OEM iPod interface and aux plug. Bummed me out but I found some aftermarket solutions that allow this.
It shouldn't. The OEM iPod solution is junk. AUX + decent aftermarket solution via CD changer input is a better solution.
sna77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:34 AM   #6
jbehr99

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalZman View Post
Dang, I don't have navigation but as I mentioned I do have the iPod interface from BMW. This could be why it's not working... Like I said in the post above, I will disconnect the iPod hook up, try the aux then, and report back with the results. Thanks for this information you got from the dealer. This would really suck if we could not use both aux and iPod interface. Just wondering, what was the after market solution you found?
Old 05-22-2012, 08:50 AM   #7
jbehr99

Quote:
Originally Posted by sna77 View Post
It shouldn't. The OEM iPod solution is junk. AUX + decent aftermarket solution via CD changer input is a better solution.
I agree! The car came with the OEM set up.... But I still should be able to use the aux correct?
Old 05-22-2012, 09:24 AM   #8
sna77
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbehr99 View Post
I agree! The car came with the OEM set up.... But I still should be able to use the aux correct?
Yes, as long as you unplug the OEM iPod adapter
Old 05-22-2012, 10:37 AM   #9
jbehr99

Quote:
Yes, as long as you unplug the OEM iPod adapter
Ok, thanks. Is there anyway to get around having to unplug the iPod adapter while I'm using the aux?
Old 05-22-2012, 10:58 AM   #10
sna77
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Ok, thanks. Is there anyway to get around having to unplug the iPod adapter while I'm using the aux?
no. they use the same channel. Thats why the dealer said it wasnt supported...
Old 05-22-2012, 12:48 PM   #11
gameboy86

My Ride: 2002 325i, 2002 M3
Why would you want the ipod adapter AND aux? Doesn't make any sense to me.

What makes even less sense is having anything Apple in the first place. LOL sorry that conversation is for another time
gameboy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:13 PM   #12
jbehr99

Quote:
no. they use the same channel. Thats why the dealer said it wasnt supported...
Ok, I understand. But since the iPod interface takes the place of the cd changer, I heard the aux still works with the cd changer. So wouldn't the aux still work with the iPod interface?
Old 05-22-2012, 03:24 PM   #13
NorCalZman

Quote:
Ok, I understand. But since the iPod interface takes the place of the cd changer, I heard the aux still works with the cd changer. So wouldn't the aux still work with the iPod interface?
I was told it wouldnt. Just passing the info along. He gave me some kind of technical information but I forgot it all already. haha. If you unplug your ipod interface and try the AUX and it suddenly works, then we will have our answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameboy86 View Post
Why would you want the ipod adapter AND aux? Doesn't make any sense to me.

What makes even less sense is having anything Apple in the first place. LOL sorry that conversation is for another time
I like to keep an ipod in the trunk with all music and controls on the nav/steering wheel. Sometimes, though, I want to listen to streaming music, and that is where the AUX/iphone combo comes in handy.
Added by me: OEM Alarm, OEM heated seats, OEM aux kit, OEM Bluetooth, intravee, M3 strut brace, BMW Performance Intake, Nappa leather arm rest, updated LCM (triple blink, euro hazards, trifecta lighting, 3 stage brakes), temp gauge mod
Old 05-22-2012, 03:26 PM   #14
sna77
OEM ///Member

Quote:
aftermarket iPod interfaces take place of the CD changer

OEM iPod interface takes place of AUX
Old 05-22-2012, 03:28 PM   #15
NorCalZman

Quote:
Dang, I don't have navigation but as I mentioned I do have the iPod interface from BMW. This could be why it's not working... Like I said in the post above, I will disconnect the iPod hook up, try the aux then, and report back with the results. Thanks for this information you got from the dealer. This would really suck if we could not use both aux and iPod interface. Just wondering, what was the after market solution you found?
I am going the Alpine KCA-420i/Intravee solution, but I am not sure how good it will be for cars without a Nav screen (and they do not sell the Alpine adapter anymore....ebay?).
Old 05-22-2012, 05:46 PM   #16
sna77
OEM ///Member

for cars w/o Nav, you want to use the USA Spec adapter for the most reliable iPod connectivity.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:25 PM   #17
jbehr99

The OEM BMW ipod interface does not connect through the CD changer hook up, there for it takes the place of the aux cable. So the conclusion is for e46 cars, you can not have the oem aux with the oem iPod interface as stated above by other users.
Thanks for your help you guys

Tags
aux, auxiliary, auxiliary input, mode button