E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-23-2012, 01:47 PM   #1
jeskaM3

My Ride: E46 M3 Coupe ('01)
thinking about selling my 2001 M3

The car just hit 67k miles and needs the inspection 2 work (simple: filter replacements, spark plugs, fluids). I had it checked at the dealership, and they found some minor leaks (nothing causing even a drop of fluid to show up under the car). The valves haven't been measured for clearance, so not sure if an adjustment is needed. It could probably use a brake and coolant flush. Rear brakes are worn (going to replace myself) and oil sensor is having issues (randomly showing indicator when oil level is full). Windshield washer fluid pump replaced at time of last oil change at the dealership. Front right fog light is out, lens cracked.

Here's the service record:
Center BMW (Van Nuys), from 1100 miles to approx 24,000 miles (09.2003). From 23,000-34,000 miles it was serviced at East Bay BMW. (Pleasanton). (7/2004), And from then on till the last recorded warranty recall at 40,889 miles (4/2008), it was serviced at Weatherford BMW. Berkeley

I changed the oil myself at 55k with oil and parts purchased from the dealership. Most recent oil change (66k) was done at Steve Thomas BMW in Camarillo, CA.

I told the service writer at BMW that I thought there were issues with the transmission. He said the technician has the same car and said that "it's just the way the car drives." I have noticed a difference from last year, though, so I took it to another shop the specializes in "European cars." The owner drove it for less than a minute and could tell it's an issue with the rear differential (after spending about an hour browsing forums, I agree with him). He also said the clutch has about 20k miles left on it. This guy agreed that the leaks are minor and "normal with M cars."

Would anyone be interested in buying the car in this condition? Someone who knows how to do this stuff could fix it in 2 days max for about 1/5 the cost the dealership quoted. I would do it myself, but I don't have access to a lift, and I'm freaked about spending a lot of time under a car using just jack stands since having them fail on me in the past and having a car fall on me. I just can't justify spending this much on work by a dealership or shop.

Tires are new, about a month old (Michelin PS All-season). Auto-dimming mirror replaced a few months ago. All electronics work, no other indicators on the dash. Interior is flawless. Minor hood damage from rocks (I have the paint from the dealership to fix, but haven't had the time yet).

Check my profile for pics of the car. I can provide more upon request.

I haven't made up my mind yet, but if I do decide to sell it, I'm hoping to sell it for $17k as is.
jeskaM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:53 PM   #2
illestminimike

My Ride: Project Drama
17k is WAY to much bro. I picked up my perfect 03 with 75k for 15k. But your gonna ask more for a older car with problems and needs inspection 2? Sorry but I suggest you lower your price. I understand you can't afford to maintain this car and it's a good idea you plan to sell it before you ruin it but 17k is too much money for that car.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:08 PM   #3
jeskaM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by illestminimike View Post
17k is WAY to much bro.
thought so... I'm gonna try to do the work myself and keep it. I'll see how it goes. thanks.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:12 PM   #4
illestminimike

My Ride: Project Drama
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeskaM3 View Post
thought so... I'm gonna try to do the work myself and keep it. I'll see how it goes. thanks.
You should buy the kit from ECS and do it yourself. It's easy stuff. Then have a shop do your valve adjustment. Then save up for your clutch. Explain the problem with the diff a little more. Maybe we can help.
I'd also do RTABs and FCABs. If your suspension is going out, save up for some coilovers. I'd go with a set of BC racing coils. For $970 it's a great set up for the money.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:28 PM   #5
jeskaM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by illestminimike View Post
You should buy the kit from ECS and do it yourself. It's easy stuff. Then have a shop do your valve adjustment. Then save up for your clutch. Explain the problem with the diff a little more. Maybe we can help.
I'd also do RTABs and FCABs. If your suspension is going out, save up for some coilovers. I'd go with a set of BC racing coils. For $970 it's a great set up for the money.
I'm gonna look around for a shop that will let me rent bay space and use their lift. I need to look under it better and see what's really going on. I did get the ECS kit and will be doing that, plus measuring valve clearances this weekend (yay holiday). I'll check the RTABs while I'm at it, but the front end is holding up well. Pretty sure the previous owner whipped it around a lot.

Thanks again.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:21 PM   #6
donree33

My Ride: '02 JB M3 6MT
Interested in how the car fell off jackstands. You okay?
donree33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:14 AM   #7
jeskaM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by donree33 View Post
Interested in how the car fell off jackstands. You okay?
One of the jack stands failed and the car slid to the side and off the other jack stand. It wasn't the M (luckily) or a lowered car, so there was enough clearance. Just messed up my shoulder a bit.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:21 AM   #8
B_Cyrus
Banned User

My Ride: Malfouf
since you're in Port Hueneme, do you have any friends in the Navy? They should have lifts on base that you can rent for 25 a day.
B_Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:32 AM   #9
jeskaM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Cyrus View Post
since you're in Port Hueneme, do you have any friends in the Navy? They should have lifts on base that you can rent for 25 a day.
Not yet
Old 05-24-2012, 10:49 AM   #10
donree33

My Ride: '02 JB M3 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeskaM3 View Post
One of the jack stands failed and the car slid to the side and off the other jack stand. It wasn't the M (luckily) or a lowered car, so there was enough clearance. Just messed up my shoulder a bit.
Lucky! Someone was watching you.
If you're thinking about selling to fellow enthusiast, you'll have to do the maintenance or think about dropping the price a bit. If you want to sell it to some noob, you may be able to get away with not keeping her tip top. Fwiw, i wouldn't sell. What other car does what the M does at this price point?
donree33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:52 AM   #11
Breezy

My Ride: LSB M3, saab 900s
Just an fyi, when deciding a price on your car, assess it to what YOU think is fair..FYI if you go on forums you will always, inevitably have someone post "That's WAY too much I paid xxx.xxx"
Breezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:14 AM   #12
jeskaM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by donree33 View Post
Lucky! Someone was watching you.
If you're thinking about selling to fellow enthusiast, you'll have to do the maintenance or think about dropping the price a bit. If you want to sell it to some noob, you may be able to get away with not keeping her tip top. Fwiw, i wouldn't sell. What other car does what the M does at this price point?
Yeah I'm gonna do as much as I can on my own. I do love it. I just don't want my lack of ability and/or funds to ruin a good thing.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:15 AM   #13
jeskaM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezy View Post
Just an fyi, when deciding a price on your car, assess it to what YOU think is fair..FYI if you go on forums you will always, inevitably have someone post "That's WAY too much I paid xxx.xxx"
Realistically, without the work done, I'd only expect $15k. I'm gonna do as much as I can and, if I end up still wanting to sell, reassess the price. Thanks!
Old 11-12-2012, 08:47 PM   #14
jeskaM3

Back up for sale. $15k obo