E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-23-2012, 09:58 PM   #141
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by that_one_guy View Post
I've had my eye on a '12 JKU Rubi in dozer but they're having issues with the pentastar ticking, misfiring and needing head replacement in the first 10K mi. DO NOT WANT.

Guess I'll wait for Fiat to figure it out and get a '13
Mine is perfectly fine, but my friends '12 Arctic had his head replaced at 8000 miles. The current batch seems to be trouble free. Besides, it was all replaced under warranty, so who cares. Furthermore, you waiting it out is pointless. Although the pentastar was first put into the wrangler for 2012, the motor itself has been in chrysler products for years already. Don't let that phase you. It is a VERY small percentage of Wranglers.

Here is mine as it sits today (although I just installed a small lift today, but don't have pics yet.)

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 05-23-2012 at 09:59 PM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:00 PM   #142
fordpwns

My Ride: GR STi
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTLaz View Post
Jeep wave

-Dr. F. Pwns

"bro a real university is a little bit harder than community college. let me know if you get into haas, then you'll see"
fordpwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:12 AM   #143
pointman

My Ride: .
How easy is the top removal on the new wranglers?
pointman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:15 AM   #144
k2spitfire
Banned User

My Ride: cosmos M3
if i was in that market, i'd pick up a really old one for $500
k2spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:41 AM   #145
Lexie330ci
ILCUTAWOOTIE

My Ride: 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Lexie330ci
I am planning on buying one also. Mod bug bit already and I dont have one. Just itching to buy so much stuff...lol.

Need brakes? Bother Anthony Here!
Lexie330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:11 AM   #146
JTLaz

My Ride: Can now offroad
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordpwns View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointman View Post
Super easy. There are three panels (two overhead the driver and one that covers the rear seats and trunk space). The front two panels are as easy as twisting a knob but you need a hex bit to remove the rear top. I can take mine off my byself in about 10 minutes.

Last edited by JTLaz; 05-24-2012 at 07:13 AM.
JTLaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:37 AM   #147
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2spitfire View Post
if i was in that market, i'd pick up a really old one for $500
Considering 89's are still fetching THOUSANDS, a $500 wrangler is probably nothing but a pile of parts.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:38 AM   #148
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Two people if you want to carry it off. I have a $179 hoist from Amazon, and takes me 5 minutes to remove it. Back the truck up, attach the cables, turn the crank, lift the top off 3" off the body, and drive the truck out. Piece of cake.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:40 AM   #149
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexie330ci View Post
I am planning on buying one also. Mod bug bit already and I dont have one. Just itching to buy so much stuff...lol.
There is no vehicle that has a bigger bug. You just want to change everything. I am already $3500 in, and I haven't even scratched the surface. I have at least $12000 already planned for it, and that doesn't count the $5000 supercharger.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:06 PM   #150
pointman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTLaz View Post

Super easy. There are three panels (two overhead the driver and one that covers the rear seats and trunk space). The front two panels are as easy as twisting a knob but you need a hex bit to remove the rear top. I can take mine off my byself in about 10 minutes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Two people if you want to carry it off. I have a $179 hoist from Amazon, and takes me 5 minutes to remove it. Back the truck up, attach the cables, turn the crank, lift the top off 3" off the body, and drive the truck out. Piece of cake.
Which is it guys!? JTLaz, its a one man operation? I mean full top removal. Not just the "sunroof" type parts. Thanks!
Old 05-24-2012, 12:09 PM   #151
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Which is it guys!? JTLaz, its a one man operation? I mean full top removal. Not just the "sunroof" type parts. Thanks!
Unless you have a hoist like me, you cannot remove the rear part (on an Unlimited anyway, but probably the two door as well) by yourself. It is heavy, and extremely awkward and not balanced. There are dozens of threads on the wrangler boards filled with guys dropping the top and cracking it. It is just too wide and uneven in weight to be able to do it yourself. Can SOMEONE do it, maybe, but 99% of people can't do it themselves, and with the top costing nearly $2000 to replace, I'd rather not take that chance.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:48 PM   #152
JTLaz

Quote:
I do it myself lol I just get under it and pick it up, hop on the ground then sit it in my garage
Old 05-24-2012, 12:55 PM   #153
NFRs2000nyc

I guess you can do it that way, but with the top costing that much, I'd never do it. My $179 rack from amazon does a perfect job, no sweating and no worrying.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:58 PM   #154
pointman

OK, any ideas how much it weighs? Cause you two are either trolling me, or are polar opposites. haha
Old 05-24-2012, 01:04 PM   #155
JTLaz

Quote:
OK, any ideas how much it weighs? Cause you two are either trolling me, or are polar opposites. haha
Not trolling. NFR is right about it being very awardly shaped and how the weight is distributed. It's probably 100lbs. I personally don't think it is heavy and have no problem picking it up with control and placing it on the ground.

I should invest in that lift for it though...

Last edited by JTLaz; 05-24-2012 at 01:49 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:12 PM   #156
pointman

Gotcha. Thanks.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:25 PM   #157
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Dont know how I am trolling you, but it is my opinion. Imagine two 50 inch plasmas attached at the top side, so you have a 50x80 piece of material, weighing in at close to 100lbs, you cant reach the ends properly, and 85% of the weight is on one side. I remember helping a friend of mine with an old 2 door TJ take off his hardtop (2 of us) and it was a PITA. I wouldn't even attempt to try and remove my unlimited top alone. I am 6' and 220lbs, and lifting 100lbs is not an issue for me, but it is simply the shape and weight distribution of it that makes it extremely difficult.

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 05-24-2012 at 01:27 PM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:46 PM   #158
pointman

Quote:
Dont know how I am trolling you, but it is my opinion. Imagine two 50 inch plasmas attached at the top side, so you have a 50x80 piece of material, weighing in at close to 100lbs, you cant reach the ends properly, and 85% of the weight is on one side. I remember helping a friend of mine with an old 2 door TJ take off his hardtop (2 of us) and it was a PITA. I wouldn't even attempt to try and remove my unlimited top alone. I am 6' and 220lbs, and lifting 100lbs is not an issue for me, but it is simply the shape and weight distribution of it that makes it extremely difficult.
I was joking. I totally understood what you meant. haha Appreciate the info. I wanted the TJ and regret having missed out on it. But I see some nice new ones running around.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:10 PM   #159
that_one_guy

My Ride: 3er Schaltgetriebe
Quote:
Mine is perfectly fine, but my friends '12 Arctic had his head replaced at 8000 miles. The current batch seems to be trouble free. Besides, it was all replaced under warranty, so who cares. Furthermore, you waiting it out is pointless. Although the pentastar was first put into the wrangler for 2012, the motor itself has been in chrysler products for years already. Don't let that phase you. It is a VERY small percentage of Wranglers.

Here is mine as it sits today (although I just installed a small lift today, but don't have pics yet.)

I've spent a lot of time on wrangler forums and read too many stories. I just can't buy a brand new car with known potential engine problems. It seemed like it was engines built in '11 but now people are reporting ticking on jk's built in March of '12. I'll keep monitoring and buy when I feel comfortable they figured it out.

Yours looks rad, is it dozer or crush?
Old 05-24-2012, 06:24 PM   #160
budman
-not a mod-

My Ride: is your mom
Send a message via AIM to budman Send a message via Yahoo to budman
My 11/11 build is at 6500 miles now and no issues.