E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-25-2012, 07:20 PM   #1
yetieater

My Ride: '03 330i
Lightbulb Help me fix my wheel paint! Damaged clearcoat :(

Hi guys, I need some help with these wheels that I've picked up. I've attached two photos. Specifically, there's something that's gone down with the clear coat on the wheels, which is causing it to crack in very ugly ways.

DSCF1588 by pur3ist, on Flickr

DSCF1586 by pur3ist, on Flickr

The wheels are BMW Performance alloys, Style 269. They have a highly polished face.

Most of the wheel repair threads on this forum talk about fixing curb rashed wheels. In my case, the wheels are physically fine, but the paint is not. My thought is to use a chemical to strip the clear coat only and then to repaint using a high quality clear coat. However, I have no experience with automotive wheel paints. I would appreciate some guidance on where to go, and what to look out for.

In return, I'll continue updating with photos to show how these turn out.

bullet proof one piece at a time
my page on BMW Performance parts for the E46: clicky

Last edited by yetieater; 05-25-2012 at 07:25 PM.
yetieater is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:35 PM   #2
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
It's a skill; and probably one you and I don't have.
Doubt you could strip off the clear and leave the paint untouched.
You've got a lot of grunt work ahead of you to do this job right, or you could have a wheel shop do them all painlessly.
First step they would do might be dipping in acid bath to remove all down to the metal. Then prime, paint, and clear with their professional equipment.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:36 AM   #3
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Cut away the flaked part- you could try wetsanding (2000+ grit) the ridge to make it less noticeable, tape & newspaper off the rest of the wheel, and hit it with some high quality spray clear coat- several light coats. After a couple days you can polish it to a good shine. It won't look new but I doubt you'll notice the difference unless you try.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:34 AM   #4
yetieater

Definitely going to have to go shopping for the higher grit sandpaper. I took someone's suggestion of hitting the wheels with 80 grit to remove the clear first. Hopefully I haven't scratched too deep.

I have some 400 grit sandpaper that I'd like to use after I clean up the nasty from the 80 grit.

Here's to hoping that it's not fubar yet.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:39 AM   #5
Stinger9

80 way to coarse! Scratch up the metal real good.
Pick up a variety to see what best suits the job.
I'd think you'd want to get some 150 and wet sand.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:15 AM   #6
samson

My Ride: 05' 330i
Send a message via AIM to samson
Quote:
Originally Posted by yetieater View Post
Definitely going to have to go shopping for the higher grit sandpaper. I took someone's suggestion of hitting the wheels with 80 grit to remove the clear first. Hopefully I haven't scratched too deep.

I have some 400 grit sandpaper that I'd like to use after I clean up the nasty from the 80 grit.

Here's to hoping that it's not fubar yet.
you're crazy. don't start with anything more abrasive than 1000 grit tops. I'm sure you're down into the paint wherever you used 40grit.

btw, i hope you picked up the wheels cheap, as refinishing them won't be cheap :-(
samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:03 AM   #7
yetieater

I guess I am crazy for following the advice that I received here: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...70&postcount=4

In any case, I started with the 80 grit and the nasty bits are FUBAR. This isn't going to get fixed with some touch up paint and a rattle can of clear coat. I'd like to sand down all four wheels, prime, paint all surfaces silver, and then clear coat. Can a paint job from a rattle can hold up next to one from a mobile wheel repair trailer? Hmm..

Old 07-10-2012, 05:21 PM   #8
Sweetness
E46 is strong with this one

My Ride: '01 325i
I personally have talked to a mobile wheel repair trailer team, and watched them go to town at the dealership, and believe me it is worth it. They only charged $200-400 for everything (professional sanding and professional re-paint.) It's well worth the money and they hold up just as well as the original finish, if not better. I seen them do it 4 different cars.
Sweetness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:26 PM   #9
Stinger9

$200-$400 is a rather imprecise quote.

What is that for? How many wheels?

What metric did you use to know that they are more durable than factory finish?
Old 07-10-2012, 05:30 PM   #10
samson

My Ride: 05' 330i
Send a message via AIM to samson
Quote:
Originally Posted by yetieater View Post
I guess I am crazy for following the advice that I received here: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...70&postcount=4

In any case, I started with the 80 grit and the nasty bits are FUBAR. This isn't going to get fixed with some touch up paint and a rattle can of clear coat. I'd like to sand down all four wheels, prime, paint all surfaces silver, and then clear coat. Can a paint job from a rattle can hold up next to one from a mobile wheel repair trailer? Hmm..
I clearly warned you above.

Sent from my Evo 4g using Bimmer
samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:38 PM   #11
Sweetness
E46 is strong with this one

My Ride: '01 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
$200-$400 is a rather imprecise quote.

What is that for? How many wheels?

What metric did you use to know that they are more durable than factory finish?
4 wheels. and the fact that a guy standing next to me had his wheels repainted by them 2 years ago and it still looked new
Sweetness is offline   Reply With Quote