E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-21-2012, 12:12 PM   #1
steifan

My Ride: 325i '06, 323 Ci '00
Thumbs Up Aussies "Mighty Car Mods" dyno-compare air filters (+ CAI) on cars (no BMWs)

Pretty interesting though not featuring any Euro cars.

BMW 323Ci '00, Eibach/Bilstein Pro-kit/B12
BMW 325i '06, M-Sport
steifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:22 PM   #2
ac_2007

My Ride: F32 M4, E46 M3/325i
Kind of makes me want to put back my OE intake.

Now that I have the nice exhaust tone, I don't have a reason for keeping it really.
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:35 PM   #3
serdar255

My Ride: '01 325ci / '90 325i
They make a good show, you guys should check their movie turbos and temples its on youtube.

For coding, custom shift knobs, and vinyl stickers: PM me
serdar255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:16 PM   #4
325rider

My Ride: gone, not forgotten
Send a message via AIM to 325rider
So does this just prove that a snorkel style intake to a UNOBSTRUCTED hole in your bumper is the only thing that will give you minimal gains? If so, w/e Sounds about right to me

Schrick 264/248 | Ebay Headers | AA dyno tune | SSR GT2 18x9 | 3.46 | Full OEM Mtech 2

My Fitness YouTube Channel!!! Thanks for all the support I am GRATEFUL

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCozwn8gNwXQVuG0se8cTpUQ
325rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:01 PM   #5
sedanpowersc

My Ride: 330i 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325rider View Post
So does this just prove that a snorkel style intake to a UNOBSTRUCTED hole in your bumper is the only thing that will give you minimal gains? If so, w/e Sounds about right to me
Pretty much, Iceman dyno'd the cosmos racing v2 long tube CAI for +7whp SAE corrected. No modification to the bumper. I'm running the same intake and the sound alone is worth the $200 let alone the 7whp. Also you will get a better throttle response with a REAL CAI over a stock airbox.

| BB Gen 3 Headers | Cosmos Racing V2 CAI | Muffler Delete | RE Underdrive Pulleys |
| 3.46 Diff | Tein S-Tech | Bilstein Sports | Hawk HPS | ASA AR1 | 35% Tint |
sedanpowersc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:42 PM   #6
325rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedanpowersc View Post
Pretty much, Iceman dyno'd the cosmos racing v2 long tube CAI for +7whp SAE corrected. No modification to the bumper. I'm running the same intake and the sound alone is worth the $200 let alone the 7whp. Also you will get a better throttle response with a REAL CAI over a stock airbox.
Well thats great fvcking news because I just ordered mine on friday and it ships out tomorrow. Got it in black, and I DONT plan on modding the bumper because I have the OEM break duct in there. That will suffice if I put the filter there correct?

With the cams and headers I hope I get 7+ wheel. YAY

Schrick 264/248 | Ebay Headers | AA dyno tune | SSR GT2 18x9 | 3.46 | Full OEM Mtech 2

Old 05-29-2012, 02:40 AM   #7
BMW E465

My Ride: 1dirty5
lol they're gaining international attention... good stuff.
BMW E465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:38 AM   #8
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Not surprised. I would imagine the intake manifold and/or the head itself are larger bottlenecks in most cars. The only car I've seen a filter make a big increase was the mazdaspeed 3
Old 05-29-2012, 08:10 AM   #9
jared_wiesner

My Ride: 1999 328i (M54b30)
I thought it was pretty well known that unless its a true cold air intake, the short ram type intakes are pretty useless for power.

Honestly, I'd say the benefit of a true cold air intake is not so much the increased peak power but from extending/solving some heat soak issues to help make reliable/consistent power.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:08 PM   #10
steifan

My Ride: 325i '06, 323 Ci '00
Btw, is it legal to modify the engine* in general in the US or most states?

Those Aussies speak of it being illegal in their state (*to replace airfilter-system). And in Sweden it's for the most part not a really
good idea to modify cars built after some year in the 90ies because the cars might not be approved in the yearly car
condition control (safety & emissions) which is required for the car to be operational legally.

BMW 323Ci '00, Eibach/Bilstein Pro-kit/B12
BMW 325i '06, M-Sport
steifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:25 PM   #11
ac_2007

My Ride: F32 M4, E46 M3/325i
Quote:
Well thats great fvcking news because I just ordered mine on friday and it ships out tomorrow. Got it in black, and I DONT plan on modding the bumper because I have the OEM break duct in there. That will suffice if I put the filter there correct?

Much more than 7whp gain.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=490864

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpgolf1 View Post
The e46 M3 is by far the most boring and worst M3 that BMW has made to date.
It's amazing to me that a non M E46 is such a beautiful car but the E46 M has never done much for me.
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:42 PM   #12
325rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post
Lol. I mean with JUST adding the long tube intake to the cam/header setup i hope i can get 7whp increase just from an intake. I already got like 30whp from cams/header/tune.

Old 05-29-2012, 03:36 PM   #13
sedanpowersc

Quote:

I didn't need to mod mine at all because of the brake duct on the mtech1 (mtech2 works as well). Good choice, I try and plug the cosmos intake as much as I can because I honestly love it. I had to move the headlight forward a few inches to get the filter in there then re-installed headlight after if was sitting pretty I think Iceman's dyno was on a 2.5 motor as well so the gains might be greater on the 3.0

| BB Gen 3 Headers | Cosmos Racing V2 CAI | Muffler Delete | RE Underdrive Pulleys |
Old 05-30-2012, 11:29 AM   #14
SUHLeen

My Ride: 2005 Saleen Mustang
I just bit the bullet and ordered a Cosmo racing intake also after reading the reviews. I'll be swapping that in for my K&N but I am also ordering Stett Performance intake boots in black to go with the intake. Then my intake should be bullet proof and I won't have to worry about changing lower intake boots every now and then.

- Phil
11 335is - TT 7 spd DCT daily :)
05 Saleen Mustang - forged, stroked, blown,... and on some juice
01 BMW 330ci - Totaled by some bish!
Financial Help
SUHLeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:29 PM   #15
325rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedanpowersc View Post
I didn't need to mod mine at all because of the brake duct on the mtech1 (mtech2 works as well). Good choice, I try and plug the cosmos intake as much as I can because I honestly love it. I had to move the headlight forward a few inches to get the filter in there then re-installed headlight after if was sitting pretty I think Iceman's dyno was on a 2.5 motor as well so the gains might be greater on the 3.0

Mine is going on a 2.5l with mtech2 front w/ brake duct so no modification necessary ... also, I dont have xenons so I can slip the intake in better hopefully. If not, ill loosen the headlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUHLeen View Post
I just bit the bullet and ordered a Cosmo racing intake also after reading the reviews. I'll be swapping that in for my K&N but I am also ordering Stett Performance intake boots in black to go with the intake. Then my intake should be bullet proof and I won't have to worry about changing lower intake boots every now and then.
"Cosmo"
http://www.cosmoracing.com/
or
"Cosmos"
http://cosmosracing.com/
Hopefully the latter, thats what i have coming...

Old 05-30-2012, 02:01 PM   #16
SUHLeen

My Ride: 2005 Saleen Mustang
Yep, Cosmos. Typo on my part. It does not ship til next week though :/

Guess it doesn't matter anyways since Stett is back ordered. This is the second time I've ordered from them and have been told black is out of stock. Then they try to sell me red or blue. At least it wasn't like the first order I placed. Didn't hear from them for three weeks and I called and then they told me it was out of stock and they thought someone had called me. If someone had called me, you wouldnt be asking me what I would like to do. Is this how they always do business? I emailed them back right away yesterday asking what the ETA was and still have not heard back. Of course. Might be canceling another order.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Bimmer

- Phil
11 335is - TT 7 spd DCT daily :)
05 Saleen Mustang - forged, stroked, blown,... and on some juice
01 BMW 330ci - Totaled by some bish!
Financial Help
SUHLeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:07 PM   #17
monkeyhead

My Ride: 2003 330i
so no real gain... more dirt?
i found this thread interesting
http://forums.anandtech.com/archive/...t-2040364.html

see one, do one, teach one
monkeyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:58 PM   #18
sedanpowersc

Quote:
Mine is going on a 2.5l with mtech2 front w/ brake duct so no modification necessary ... also, I dont have xenons so I can slip the intake in better hopefully. If not, ill loosen the headlight

Mine were halogens too when i was installing it, still had to move headlight forward about an inch, not a big deal though takes about 10 minutes

Old 05-31-2012, 04:01 PM   #19
325rider

sO i move the headlight forward, slide the filter and tube down and just leave it? The top of the brake duct is in the way so how will it get air??

Tags
air, cai, dyno, filter, intake