E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-13-2011, 07:36 AM   #21
ap123ap

My Ride: 2002 E46 ///M3 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamo99 View Post
I took the audio feed from the full-range signal being fed into the stock HK amp, and ran it to my Kicker amp. (700.5, I think- it's a 5-channel amp, but I'm only using the subwoofer channel for now). The Kicker amps are great, because you don't need any line-level converters, adapters, or anything. Just tap into the signal wires, connect some RCAs, and plug right into the amp.

I used the instructions from the BSW installation guide for the BSW ib110 subwoofer system:
http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/pr...e-M3-3-Series/ - look under 'install info', and download the PDF.
thanks for this mate, i will be giving this a go this weekend. do you need a specific type of amp and subwoofer for this to work or could you use any setup for this?
ap123ap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:36 AM   #22
vinnybones

My Ride: E46 330i & E46 M3
Pics from the inside!
Old 07-13-2011, 10:35 AM   #23
Adamo99

My Ride: 330Ci vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap123ap View Post
thanks for this mate, i will be giving this a go this weekend. do you need a specific type of amp and subwoofer for this to work or could you use any setup for this?
I went with the Kicker amp specifically because it has dual sensitivity differential RCA inputs, which are compatible with the stock HK system (without requiring line level to RCA converters). The cabling is easier, and there's less to buy.

Keep in mind, I kept the stock head unit and HK speakers in the cabin. If you're replacing your head unit also, you can go with pretty much any amp that you want. I still recommend the Kicker- as they're a lot of amp for the money - often providing more power than they're rated for.

You can use any subwoofer you want if it's in a box designed for that particular sub. If you're going to build it into the ski-pass opening, you'll be wanting to use a free-air design, so it uses the volume of air in the trunk as the 'box'. Just check to ensure that your current ratings are good (ie: don't plug in a sub designed to draw 1Ohm if your amp doesn't support it).

Last edited by Adamo99; 07-13-2011 at 10:37 AM.
Adamo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:41 PM   #24
TKC

My Ride: 330cic & R6
Send a message via AIM to TKC
Here's some pics of mine and a write up I did:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...55&postcount=2

Old 07-15-2011, 02:31 AM   #25
ap123ap

My Ride: 2002 E46 ///M3 Vert
Quote:
I went with the Kicker amp specifically because it has dual sensitivity differential RCA inputs, which are compatible with the stock HK system (without requiring line level to RCA converters). The cabling is easier, and there's less to buy.

Keep in mind, I kept the stock head unit and HK speakers in the cabin. If you're replacing your head unit also, you can go with pretty much any amp that you want. I still recommend the Kicker- as they're a lot of amp for the money - often providing more power than they're rated for.

You can use any subwoofer you want if it's in a box designed for that particular sub. If you're going to build it into the ski-pass opening, you'll be wanting to use a free-air design, so it uses the volume of air in the trunk as the 'box'. Just check to ensure that your current ratings are good (ie: don't plug in a sub designed to draw 1Ohm if your amp doesn't support it).
thanks for the info mate. Basically, i had a sub and amp from my previous car and it's sitting in the garage gathering dust. i dont think it has dual sensitivity differential RCA inputs, it is just a stock amp that takes rca inputs. i also have one of these: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=150600243726

i was hoping to go line to RCA from the HK head unit into the crossover then from the crossover, into the aftermarket AMP which is this one:http://www.dvbcaraudio.co.uk/toxic-t...er-p-3146.html

Manufacturer: Toxic Car Audio

Toxic Car Audio TX-600 2 Channel 600 Watt Car Amplifier
2 x 300w / 1 x 600w

Bridgeable high power amplifier

Mos-fet switching supply

Built in low-/ highpass x-over

Rca line out

Thermal- / speaker short circuit protection

Will this work?
ap123ap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:36 AM   #26
EVMadman

My Ride: 944
TKC, what brand/model is that subwoofer? Looks like a perfect size for the space.

DAC
EVMadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:30 AM   #27
TKC

My Ride: 330cic & R6
Send a message via AIM to TKC
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVMadman View Post
TKC, what brand/model is that subwoofer? Looks like a perfect size for the space.

DAC

Yes, the sub fits PERFECTLY in the ski pass.
It's a 10" Kicker L7. (The L5 is the same size and works as well)
Old 07-25-2011, 03:47 PM   #28
Stuttgart330

My Ride: 05 330CIC ZHP
Any of you guys replace the crappy HK speakers? I'm having a hard time finding what would fit in the rear - a component set that is. Don't want to go with BSW, way too expensive. Everything else I'm finding is just too deep to install in the rear without cutting metal. I found that the dimensions for the rear mid are 4 1/2" wide by 1 1/2" deep..

2001 330Ci ZSP - (wifes)
2005 330CiC ZHP - (mine)
2006 F350 Diesel CC - (Toy Hauler)
2007 X5 xDrive 4.8i -0 (wifes)
Stuttgart330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:40 PM   #29
E46-Cabrio

My Ride: E46 330CI Cabrio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuttgart330 View Post
Any of you guys replace the crappy HK speakers? I'm having a hard time finding what would fit in the rear - a component set that is. Don't want to go with BSW, way too expensive. Everything else I'm finding is just too deep to install in the rear without cutting metal. I found that the dimensions for the rear mid are 4 1/2" wide by 1 1/2" deep..
What about Audio-System?

Page: 21

http://www.audio-system.de/service/AS-Katalog.pdf

Speakers on Page 19 are very flat.

Last edited by E46-Cabrio; 07-25-2011 at 11:42 PM.
E46-Cabrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:43 AM   #30
Stuttgart330

My Ride: 05 330CIC ZHP
hmm - looks like 1.61 inches deep for the ION 165 and 1 5/16 for the ION 130...

200 Euros though - pricey for us US folks...

2001 330Ci ZSP - (wifes)
2005 330CiC ZHP - (mine)
2006 F350 Diesel CC - (Toy Hauler)
2007 X5 xDrive 4.8i -0 (wifes)
Stuttgart330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:03 PM   #31
Ivan22

My Ride: 2001 E46 Convertible
Quote:

Nice work. How is the performance of the free air? Is the bass tight, even with the top down? Im figuring a 10" free air may be almost as good as an 8" sealed...
Ivan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:46 AM   #32
radarcontact

My Ride: 2006 330CiC/ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMUUUUUV View Post
Like mine?.......

^^^ that's the way to do it if you are gonna ski-sub your vert. (very nice touch with the HK moniker)
radarcontact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:00 AM   #33
radarcontact

Note: for those that try this...after you are done, try switching the polarity of the speaker for a sound check. Or some amps allow this with a switch (polarity 0 or 180). In this type of setup, phase can sometimes end up reversed, so if you intentionally wire the speaker out of phase (reverse polarity) you can "trick" the system into being correct. Just swap the leads and see which gives you better sound.
Also re,ember that this is essentially a "baffle" enclosure (no actual enclosure, just something physical that protects the back waves from interfering with the front waves). You lose a lot of power handling with this type, so be a little stingy with the power when showing off to your buds.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:00 AM   #34
radarcontact

Quote:
Originally Posted by radarcontact View Post
Note: for those that try this...after you are done, try switching the polarity of the speaker for a sound check. Or some amps allow this with a switch (polarity 0 or 180). In this type of setup, phase can sometimes end up reversed, so if you intentionally wire the speaker out of phase (reverse polarity) you can "trick" the system into being correct. Just swap the leads and see which gives you better sound.
Also re,ember that this is essentially a "baffle" enclosure (no actual enclosure, just something physical that protects the back waves from interfering with the front waves). You lose a lot of power handling with this type, so be a little stingy with the power when showing off to your buds.
--if you build a "box" behind the woofer, then disregard my statements above.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:03 PM   #35
Ivan22

My Ride: 2001 E46 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMUUUUUV View Post
Like mine?.......

Any tips on how your mesh cover was made? Would love to replicate what you did to cover the sub...
Ivan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:03 PM   #36
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
Subscribed.
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:02 PM   #37
Ballstowalls

My Ride: 05 e46 m3 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKC View Post
Here's some pics of mine and a write up I did:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...55&postcount=2

I saw u and your car at bimmerfest?? U have the extra twitters also right?
Ballstowalls is offline   Reply With Quote