E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-08-2012, 09:28 PM   #181
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR4G- View Post
Is this actually true? Someone can be held liable for posting words on the internet?
Probably depends on which party has the more expensive lawyer.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:43 PM   #182
Lztaas

My Ride: cars
Cruise issue Finally fixed!!!

Just wanted let everyone know I finally got my cruise working. The problem was a defective clutch switch that came with my pedal assembly. The switch worked for the EWS but did not ground out pin 23 when the clutch pedal was up. I replaced the switch and everything works!!!

Thanks again for the great DIY and help.
Lztaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:48 PM   #183
Nervous

My Ride: 01 330CI 6MT ZSP EU3
So, you used the 'old-style' 3-wires clutch switch, right?
Nervous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:10 PM   #184
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lztaas View Post
Cruise issue Finally fixed!!!

Just wanted let everyone know I finally got my cruise working. The problem was a defective clutch switch that came with my pedal assembly. The switch worked for the EWS but did not ground out pin 23 when the clutch pedal was up. I replaced the switch and everything works!!!

Thanks again for the great DIY and help.
Glad it was of assistance and thanks for posting the update. It helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nervous View Post
I believe he's using a 4-wire. He referenced the wire to the EWS module was working. "Ground out pin 23" is reference to the DME connection. The other two wires are B+ and ground, which power the 4-wire clutch module (hall-effect sensor).

/// MODS
/// Auto => 6-Spd Manual Conversion | Apex EC-7 | Koni/Ground Control Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | Meyle HD LCA | PowerFlex bushings | GruppeM rep CAI | Shark Injector | 6000k HID's and Fogs | BMW European MTechII | BMW Performance Shifter | ACS Mirrors and Rear Spoiler ///
TitaniumCranium is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:41 AM   #185
Lztaas

My Ride: cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nervous View Post
No the switch was the new style 4 wire hall effect switch. My swap parts came from a 02 M3.
Lztaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:39 AM   #186
Whammy

My Ride: ZHP
Dammit. I now want to do this swap
Whammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:43 PM   #187
330i ZHP

My Ride: have 5 doors and FI
Send a message via AIM to 330i ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumCranium View Post
This is the one last piece that is the holy grail of automatic to manual conversions, the one thing that almost no one seemed to get working... Until now!!! I can confirm without question that this is the solution for mirror dip on auto->manual conversions. Pin 7 of connector X11176 on the instrument cluster needs to be connected to X428, the Blue/Yellow wire buss connection above the fuse block in the glove box. After tracing all the wiring in the WDS, I ran test wires today to make certain the connection worked. I'll order all the right parts and the correct wire before I permanently wire this in but IT WORKS!!!

I'll post the parts list once I have the connectors and wire.

I finally had a chance to go do this - total time about 30min - it works great. I had so many extra various BMW plugs sitting around - so I had the connector and I even had a section of blue/yellow wire long enough to connect across the car.

Everything works great. I find it interesting that my PDC worked correctly this whole time even without the mirror.

Thank you ALL for figuring this out and posting it.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:49 PM   #188
330i ZHP

My Ride: have 5 doors and FI
Send a message via AIM to 330i ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to 330i ZHP
I need to rest adaptations - can this be done without INPA, GT1, etc?

Titanium Cranium - do you have any time before May 29th for me to come your way - or I setup my laptop for you to connect in?
Old 05-20-2012, 12:46 AM   #189
TerraPhantm

If unplugging the battery doesn't do the trick, then you probably need some diagnostics software to reset adaptations.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:29 PM   #190
Rich-330ci

My Ride: 330ci
well we had another play with the programming last night and followed Titaniumcranium's guide with resting the bus etc and everything worked well, only issue is the cruise control wouldn't work at all with the EGS disconnected!

by plugging the EGS in the cruise starts to work but the DSC light is on permanently! grr, so after a little playing around i have the cruise working(except clutch cut-off) and no DSC light on! but still have the EGS connected at the moment!

something i didn't notice until my mate started the car is it now starts without even pressing the clutch! i know when i first did the conversion the car would only start with the clutch pedal pressed down and since then i have got into the habbit of always holding the clutch pedal down when starting the car, so i'm not sure if this issue has happened ages ago or just after last nights programming!

anyone has this issue?

btw just noticed lztaas's post about his going faulty so think i will have to check that out!
Rich-330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:48 PM   #191
cyberkaa

Location: Sunnyvale, CA <-- Ithaca, NY <-- dirty jerz (201) Useful Posts: 25
My Ride: E46 332i,M3;E30 325i
Send a message via ICQ to cyberkaa Send a message via AIM to cyberkaa Send a message via MSN to cyberkaa Send a message via Yahoo to cyberkaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-330ci View Post
well we had another play with the programming last night and followed Titaniumcranium's guide with resting the bus etc and everything worked well, only issue is the cruise control wouldn't work at all with the EGS disconnected!

by plugging the EGS in the cruise starts to work but the DSC light is on permanently! grr, so after a little playing around i have the cruise working(except clutch cut-off) and no DSC light on! but still have the EGS connected at the moment!

something i didn't notice until my mate started the car is it now starts without even pressing the clutch! i know when i first did the conversion the car would only start with the clutch pedal pressed down and since then i have got into the habbit of always holding the clutch pedal down when starting the car, so i'm not sure if this issue has happened ages ago or just after last nights programming!

anyone has this issue?

btw just noticed lztaas's post about his going faulty so think i will have to check that out!
There's clutch interlock option you can disable using NCS Expert. US cars have the setting enabled while most others have it disabled.
When the clutch switch module went bad on my M3 coupe, I disabled the interlock so I could still start the car.

M3 drive train conversion (S54 Swap, LSD, 6MT, suspension linkage) | UUC Stg 2 Organic Clutch | OEM M-Tech II Kit
KW V2 | BBS GT4 RE | Falken FK452 | Alcon 6-pot 365mm BBK | M3 steering wheel | Powerflex bushings

Quote:
Originally Posted by koven View Post
i'd rather be gapless with no bulge
cyberkaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:59 PM   #192
Rich-330ci

tbh the fact it starts now without touching the clutch is fine for me, i just want the cruise control cut off to work if i'm honest!

just found out UK based cars don't use the clutch interlock like yours in the states so it must be the programming thats now set to a manual! so i hope its just the the module or wire fault stopping the cruise cut off working!

Last edited by Rich-330ci; 05-31-2012 at 03:44 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:12 PM   #193
cyberkaa

Location: Sunnyvale, CA <-- Ithaca, NY <-- dirty jerz (201) Useful Posts: 25
My Ride: E46 332i,M3;E30 325i
Send a message via ICQ to cyberkaa Send a message via AIM to cyberkaa Send a message via MSN to cyberkaa Send a message via Yahoo to cyberkaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-330ci View Post
tbh the fact it starts now without touching the clutch is fine for me, i just want the cruise control cut off to work if i'm honest!

just found out UK based cars don't use the clutch interlock like yours in the states so it must be the programming thats now set to a manual! so i hope its just the the module or wire fault stopping the cruise cut off working!
Yup exactly.

Actually, I can't even recall the last time I used cruise control.
I know I wired the cutoff in, though. If you have the Hall effect sensor mounted on the side of the clutch master, one wire goes to the EWS for the interlock and another goes to the DME for idle/overrun signaling. I haven't verified it, but I believe that second wire is also responsible for deactivating cruise control. i think the intent is that the former activates at the bottom of travel and the latter activates near the top of pedal travel.

The second signal should be visible in INPA (I know the interlock one is for sure).

M3 drive train conversion (S54 Swap, LSD, 6MT, suspension linkage) | UUC Stg 2 Organic Clutch | OEM M-Tech II Kit
KW V2 | BBS GT4 RE | Falken FK452 | Alcon 6-pot 365mm BBK | M3 steering wheel | Powerflex bushings

Quote:
Originally Posted by koven View Post
i'd rather be gapless with no bulge

Last edited by cyberkaa; 05-31-2012 at 04:13 PM.
cyberkaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:52 PM   #194
Rich-330ci

i would check with INPA but my laptop running all bmw software died a few weeks ago, so only have access to progman at the moment!

mine has the 4 wire hall effect sensor as you say, and what you said sounds pretty much right about the wiring and how it works, i do use cruise control quite often as i do long motorway trips a lot and it comes in handy tbh! although it's not the end of the world if thats the only thing that doesn't quite work! i just like everything to be as it should if possible!
Old 05-31-2012, 08:43 PM   #195
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

I just went into both body and MS43 with INPA. I am able to monitor the clutch switch module activating/deactivating. I hunted around for quite a while but I don't see any way to determine that there was a signal sent to the cruise control for deactivation on clutch depress.

Your cruise control works though, just not sensing the clutch depress, correct?

/// MODS
/// Auto => 6-Spd Manual Conversion | Apex EC-7 | Koni/Ground Control Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | Meyle HD LCA | PowerFlex bushings | GruppeM rep CAI | Shark Injector | 6000k HID's and Fogs | BMW European MTechII | BMW Performance Shifter | ACS Mirrors and Rear Spoiler ///
Old 06-01-2012, 01:55 AM   #196
Rich-330ci

Correct, it all works except the clutch pedal cut off, but ONLY with the EGS connected, when the EGS isn't connected it won't even turn on!, I'm going to try get another module to make sure it's that isn't faulty.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:56 AM   #197
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

Oh... So if you pull the EGS then you probably also get a DSC/Brake error too?

I'm thinking the modules did not recode properly against the AKMB, causing some internal issues. Once you get your laptop back together it would be interesting to see if there are any error codes stored for the DME communicating on the CAN bus. Not all of the CAN error codes set off the SES, and my peake reader can't see them.

I had to leave my EGS in to get my cruise to work without a DSC fault until I finally used Progman to code all modules against the AKMB, without the EGS present. Then reprogrammed the DME, without the EGS present. That all finally worked, but IIRC I had to program the DME twice to get cruise to come back. It didn't like something the first time around. Then it all worked, including cruse cut-off.

Long story short, if you need to have the EGS in to get cruise to work then it seems something in the communications between the AKMB and the DME is not right yet.

/// MODS
Old 06-01-2012, 10:20 AM   #198
TerraPhantm

Sounds like the DME didn't get reprogrammed "properly" to me. Was the EGS disconnected at the time of programming?
Old 06-01-2012, 03:22 PM   #199
Rich-330ci

Yeah the EGS was disconnected at the time of programming, we followed titanium's instructions by disconnecting the battery and resting the bus first, then unplug EGS fully before reconnecting battery/wait 5min and then using genuine progman we removed option 205 and carried out a full encoding of all units, then reprogram the DME and allow progman to do its work, no issues with coding was shown on progman, no warning lights on the car and it now starts without pressing the clutch pedal, DSC also worked fine, but cruise control would not turn on at all, it would only work if I plugged the EGS in! Which in turn brought the DSC light on untill the EGS was unplugged again!
Old 06-07-2012, 12:06 PM   #200
Rich-330ci

small update, as my computer is still fubared i've had a look at the wiring/clutch switch module and both are ok, i took a meter reading and get 12v directly at pin 23 on the DME when the clutch pedal is pressed, hopefully be 'borrowing' a computer off bmw soon to check all faults etc and re-try programming the DME!