E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum

Motorsports & Track Forum
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2012, 01:56 AM   #1
lejeunebimmer

My Ride: 02' M3 SMG, 02' 330i
Excited, first HPDE (Updated with Video).

Edit: Here is video taken from a 2010 Audi S4 during the final run of the day. He has an instructor, I do not. Once he got within view of my rear-view mirror I realized he was there, and stepped it up to about 8.5/10. Any constructive and useful advice on my driving is appreciated!

I've done quite a bit of Autox off and on over the past 3 years, but decided it was time to get some instruction and some track experience (you know, finally get around to modding the diver).

So my first HPDE (okay it's actually an SCCA PDX) is next Saturday.

Just ordered my Helmet, some vinyl car numbers (I only have magnetic), a Schroth Quick-fit harness, 75mm Bimmerworld Wheel Studs and Nuts, Bimmerworld M50 drilled oil pump nut, Oil pan gasket, and VAC motorsports Oil Pan Baffle.

Oh yeah and a set of Hankook R-S3s for the stock M68s so I can save my expensive Conti Extreme Contacts.

So in the next week I'll be beefing up the bottom end of my engine (getting ready to order an ATI super damper too) to ensure I still have oil supplied to my car, putting some dedicated track tires on it, and installing my wheel studs.

Anything I missed for possible trouble points for saftey, and or car problems with the 330?
330i - AA Tuned, Headers, UUC Stage I LW FW, e36 M3 Clutch, UUC SS Clutch line, BMW Performance Intake, Evo Sport Pulleys, BMW Performance Cross-Drilled Rotors, Hawk HPS, BW SS Brake Lines, BW Solid Guide Bushings, BMW Performance CF Strut Brace, H&R Sways, H&R Sport Springs, Bilstein Sport Shocks, Powerflex Bushings, LED Tails, Clear Sides/Turns, Black Grill, Mtech 2, CF Splitters

M3 - Not enough room to list

Last edited by lejeunebimmer; 06-14-2012 at 10:55 AM.
lejeunebimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:08 AM   #2
S54Dan

My Ride: '05 M3 '03 ZHP
Sounds like you're ready to go. I would just add to check over the car for any leaks, check the suspension & Rtabs, and that's it. Go out there and have fun.

Remember that smoothness, not speed, is the key to success! Speed comes with smoothness

2005 M3 6MT | Weekend toy & Track rat
2003 330i ZHP 6MT | Wife Mobile
1994 325i 5MT | DD
Instagram @S54Dan
S54Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:11 AM   #3
smooth1

My Ride: BMW FTW
Quote:
Originally Posted by S54Dan View Post
Remember that smoothness, not speed, is the key to success! Speed comes with smoothness
Absolutely. Enjoy yourself!
smooth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:39 PM   #4
SpeedDemon

My Ride: 08 M3/05 ZHP/08 R32
Have fun. Your Hawk HPS pads will cry in pain after you improve a bit. If you don't want track pads yet, consider some PFC "New Z Rated" pads from Bimmerworld. They don't have very good feel for street driving, but they barely make any dust, are super quiet, and can withstand ridiculously high temps for such a compliant pad.

I ruined a students brakes one time after I overheated his Hawk HPS pads. He told me that he had racing pads on the car so I didn't concern myself with it too much at the time but when we were done the brakes were glazed over and I ended up owing a new set of brakes.
SpeedDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:15 AM   #5
Steven747

My Ride: 05 330ci
wish the track was more accessible to me instead of 2 hours away i am going to look into some vac products for my bottom end also
Steven747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:29 AM   #6
lejeunebimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedDemon View Post
Have fun. Your Hawk HPS pads will cry in pain after you improve a bit. If you don't want track pads yet, consider some PFC "New Z Rated" pads from Bimmerworld. They don't have very good feel for street driving, but they barely make any dust, are super quiet, and can withstand ridiculously high temps for such a compliant pad.

I ruined a students brakes one time after I overheated his Hawk HPS pads. He told me that he had racing pads on the car so I didn't concern myself with it too much at the time but when we were done the brakes were glazed over and I ended up owing a new set of brakes.
Thats kind of interesting you should mention that, I called Bimmerworld today and updated my order to include Hawk HP+ Pads front and rear, so they should do the trick.
330i - AA Tuned, Headers, UUC Stage I LW FW, e36 M3 Clutch, UUC SS Clutch line, BMW Performance Intake, Evo Sport Pulleys, BMW Performance Cross-Drilled Rotors, Hawk HPS, BW SS Brake Lines, BW Solid Guide Bushings, BMW Performance CF Strut Brace, H&R Sways, H&R Sport Springs, Bilstein Sport Shocks, Powerflex Bushings, LED Tails, Clear Sides/Turns, Black Grill, Mtech 2, CF Splitters

Old 06-02-2012, 09:44 AM   #7
S54Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lejeunebimmer View Post
Thats kind of interesting you should mention that, I called Bimmerworld today and updated my order to include Hawk HP+ Pads front and rear, so they should do the trick.
If they haven't shipped it, do PFC 08's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedDemon
That is one reason I will never drive a student's car. Too risky. I'd hate to owe someone a car. Happened at VIR last weekend in an E46 M3. An instructor took out the student's car and totaled it in the esses. Sucks

1994 325i 5MT | DD
Instagram @S54Dan
Old 06-05-2012, 04:29 PM   #8
lejeunebimmer

Quote:
If they haven't shipped it, do PFC 08's!

That is one reason I will never drive a student's car. Too risky. I'd hate to owe someone a car. Happened at VIR last weekend in an E46 M3. An instructor took out the student's car and totaled it in the esses. Sucks
They'd already shipped so no can do there, plus the HP+ will be better at Autocross anyway since they have a lower operating range.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:35 PM   #9
trippinbillies4

My Ride: '02 Mini, '13 FR-S
Congrats on your first PDX! Are you an SCCA member yet? If not, let me be your referral I can send you my name/member number and save you $15. Face it, you know you're going to be hooked, might as well sign up now ;

Couple notes: magnets will do just fine on a road course. I've yet to lose one.

Also, I love your "save my expensive contis" comment. The RS-3's will blow them out of the water on a road course. You're going to LOVE them. For 140+ TW street tires, they're about as good as it's going to get for road course events. They take heat and beg for more. Use them for autocrossing too (assuming you're probably running STU?)

HP+ are still going to beg for mercy. You're in MN, so Road America? I would absolutely recommend changing your brake fluid to at least Super Blue, but I would highly recommend stepping up to Motul RBF600. I autocrossed for three years and got very good at it before taking my Z4 to Mid-Ohio for my first track event. I had HP+ pads on it on street tires, oem brake fluid. PDX's are like autocross in slow motion, so if you're any good at autocrossing, you'll quickly start pushing your car hard at the track. I did, then my brake pedal went to the floor coming out of thunder valley. That's an eye opening experience in a daily driver. Long story short, if you're doing HP+, bed them in correctly on new rotors, and switch to Motul RBF600 fluid. Or, conversely, don't brake the ever living piss out of your car.

Have fun!

'02 Mini Cooper #40HS, '13 Scion FR-S #40CS, '12 Ducati SF848
trippinbillies4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:52 PM   #10
lejeunebimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippinbillies4 View Post
Congrats on your first PDX! Are you an SCCA member yet? If not, let me be your referral I can send you my name/member number and save you $15. Face it, you know you're going to be hooked, might as well sign up now ;

Also, I love your "save my expensive contis" comment. The RS-3's will blow them out of the water on a road course. You're going to LOVE them. For 140+ TW street tires, they're about as good as it's going to get for road course events. They take heat and beg for more. Use them for autocrossing too (assuming you're probably running STU?)

HP+ are still going to beg for mercy. You're in MN, so Road America? I would absolutely recommend changing your brake fluid to at least Super Blue, but I would highly recommend stepping up to Motul RBF600. I autocrossed for three years and got very good at it before taking my Z4 to Mid-Ohio for my first track event. I had HP+ pads on it on street tires, oem brake fluid. PDX's are like autocross in slow motion, so if you're any good at autocrossing, you'll quickly start pushing your car hard at the track. I did, then my brake pedal went to the floor coming out of thunder valley. That's an eye opening experience in a daily driver. Long story short, if you're doing HP+, bed them in correctly on new rotors, and switch to Motul RBF600 fluid. Or, conversely, don't brake the ever living piss out of your car.

Have fun!
I am an SCCA member already, otherwise I would gladly take you up on your offer.

Lol the comment about the contis was how I justifed it to my wife. The rs3s are cheaper for my stock 17s than my conti extremes are for my 18s, plus the rs3s are better on the track and this way I can make the contis last two summers.

She bought it.

I'm already running super blue, but when it comes time to flush it again ill step up to motul.

I don't have new rotors for the hp+ but the ones I do have (BMW Performance) have only ever been used with HPS so I'm hoping the pad composition is similar enough between the HPS. And HP+ so as not to effect them after I bed in the HP+ tomorrow.

Oh yeah I generally run in DSP on the street tire index. I'm no where near competitive enough for STU up here.

I've taken my class once a couple of years ago and finished 3rd in my class. I also won novice back when I started so I am decent but the competition is a lot stiffer up here than in va and nc where I used to run so I generally only seem to finish middle of the pack, both class and overall.

I definately hear that autoxers have a much easier transition to road course than road course to autox, but I guess ill see how I do on Saturday.

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Bimmer App

Old 06-07-2012, 04:08 AM   #11
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by trippinbillies4 View Post

Have fun!
YES! BRAKE FLUID BRAKE FLUID BRAKE FLUID.

I had mine boil on my 330 and then on my M3. What can I say.... I like to brake late on bad fluid. Both were bad experiences. Switch to some RBF600 fluid so you don't have your brakes go out at the end of a straight like I did.

I was going to go for the Schroth quick fits, but ended up deciding to keep the money

I go the 75mm studs too. They make putting wheels on like 10 times easier. More than worth it to me since I've had them off the car nearly every weekend lately. I'm running 15mm spacers on the front though, and I shouldn't do that with just 75mm studs, I need to move up to 90mm to be safe. (I don't run the spacers on the track)

Keep an eye on your coolant and oil temps, and have fun
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:08 AM   #12
teamdfl
Slow in, slower out

My Ride: 325it
Quote:
Originally Posted by lejeunebimmer View Post
Anything I missed for possible trouble points for saftey, and or car problems with the 330?

Your local SCCA region should have a tech form or checklist for pre-event inspection.

Here is the tech inspection stuff for my local BMWCCA chapter. The inspection is to be performed BEFORE the event by a qualified individual (shop or an experienced hack). Event day inspection is a spot check only.
Form - http://njbmwcca.org/util/get_file.php?file_id=293
Tech FAQ - http://njbmwcca.org/util/get_file.php?file_id=294

Last edited by teamdfl; 06-07-2012 at 10:09 AM.
teamdfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:09 AM   #13
lejeunebimmer

Short summary, I went I had a blast. It all came very naturally to me. I did learn quite a bit from my instructor with relation to high speed corners, one where I was pinching the apex too much and another where I just had to overcome the pucker factor of car dancing under heavy braking at 80+ mph (caused by a bump in the track surface from poor transition from concrete to asphalt)
I was immeaditly moved from beginners to intermediate after passing every other car in beginners twice during the 2nd run (we weren't allowed to pass on the first which actually made things kind of boring in some aspects), and after 1 run in intermediate I was signed off as needing no instuctor.
So much more fun than solo, but it no doubt paid dividends to me.

My instructor loved the car. He also said at the end of the day that my driving had been noticed. I asked good or bad, he replied in a very good way. He didn't elaborate anyfurther but did get all my contact info, and said he wants to see me at blackhawk and road america.

Short summary of the car.

I kept it below 6k for the most part, with a few short sprints up to 6.5k, I never got it to 7k and never held it above 6k.

The Hawk HP+ were great, I did start to get some brake fade after about 30 minutes on the free run. I'm sure the fact that this was a short 1.3mile course with speeds no greater than 90mph for me helped with not fading them too quickly since i didnt have to haul it down from say 130 or something. Ill use them for Brainerd Int`l and see how they fare on a larger track with higher speeds.

The R-S3 were great although they started to get a little squishy towards the end of the runs (it was 93 degrees ambient today) so pretty darn hot. Very predictable and very grippy.

Overall I'm very happy with both myself and the car, I just need to move the rear sway to full stiff rather than intermediate so I can get it to rotate a bit better. But either way she wanted to push very little today when I did induce some understeer.

My next goals are to work on loading the front of the car a bit better on turn in, as my instructor did it darn near perfectly in my car (he took it out for 2 laps during free runs) and experienced no understeer as is. So I know what I really need to work on next time. I would also like to work on heel-toeing quite a bit more as there a couple of corners where I could have saved a tenth of a second (if I were to guess) if I could heel-toe better.

Oh yeah, and there is some supposedly great video coming from a new friend of mine attempting to chase me down in his 2010 S4 with Michelin PS2s on in the last run of the day, and some of me running away from him in one of the earlier runs. We had a blast once the two of us got away from traffic, I could run away from him in the corners and walk him the first 1/4 of the straights and then he'd catch up some until we got to the braking zones. it is quite a good feeling to out pace a much more powerful car than yours!
Sent from my SPH-M900 using Bimmer App

Last edited by lejeunebimmer; 06-10-2012 at 12:47 AM.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:01 PM   #14
S54Dan

Awesome, glad you had fun!

1994 325i 5MT | DD
Instagram @S54Dan
Old 06-11-2012, 10:40 PM   #15
lejeunebimmer

Quote:
Awesome, glad you had fun!
Thanks! Me too!

So there's an HPDE coming up at Brainerd International Raceway on the 23rd and 24th of this month, couple with a time attack (with a small cash payout to 1st 2nd and 3rd places). I'll be registering for the HPDE and renting a transponder for the TIme Attack at the end of the day! Just be a great day of fun, and here's to hoping I can do somewhat well in the time attack (it is broken up into FWD Unlimted and Street, AWD Unlimited and AWD Street, and RWD Street and RWD Unlimited. I'll fall into RWD Street).

Old 06-11-2012, 10:43 PM   #16
Andy2108

I wish we had that at my home track, but I think they only do that at like NASA and SCCA events. Who is the association putting on that event?
Old 06-11-2012, 10:55 PM   #17
lejeunebimmer

It's a local tuning company called Modern Auto Performance. They specialize in Subies and Mitsu's but they do a few events like this every year.

It's being run by Brainerd Intls instructors and stewards, but sponsored hosted by MAP

Old 06-11-2012, 11:24 PM   #18
Andy2108

Interesting. I've heard that the local track out here (Heartland Park Topeka) is about $15k-$20k a day to rent, so for us to get a BMWCCA event here it takes like 4 BMWCCA chapters to pay for it. Usually we go down to Hallet because its cheaper. Must be a pretty successful Subi shop!
Old 06-12-2012, 01:17 AM   #19
lejeunebimmer

It is a very successful shop, but it helps that they also have drifting, drag racing, and Autox going on. Plus they charge admission to get into the track, and it draws a large crowd. They also have several corporate sponsors. Consider it like a local/regional HIN over the course of a full weekend, with road racing thrown in to keep the more ummm shall we say mature crowd interested.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:25 AM   #20
dji203

My Ride: Z4 3.0si, 135is
I would get a full brake flush as well

Recaro | Volk | AST | Vorshlag | Quaife | Stoptech | Active Autowerke | BMW Performance

Click here for my track videos
dji203 is offline   Reply With Quote