E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-02-2012, 05:13 PM   #41
Amoeba

My Ride: his: zhp hers: 325ci
Send a message via Yahoo to Amoeba
Someone actually spends $900 for a phone? I'm fine with paying $200 with a contract.
Old 06-02-2012, 05:38 PM   #42
SUHLeen

My Ride: 2005 Saleen Mustang
I wasn't too happy with many of my android phones at first and eventually went to a 4s. I liked it but there were actually a lot of features the iPhone does not have compared to android as far as ease of use for me. Unless I did not play around with it enough, it is so much easier on android when you are in your texts to call someone. This comes in handy when I'm driving because if someone texts me, I could click their picture and call them. With iPhone I'd have to click the persons name, scroll to the top of the persons text or double tap the top, then press call.

Another small thing that bugged me, you could not add attachments to emails unless you started a new one. With android I could attach a picture to an email super easily. Like I said, I could be wrong and maybe did not play with the iphone long enough but there were small conveniences android had that iOS was lacking.

I held on to the 4s until the gnex came out and man was I impressed. Completely different experience. Its like a whole new operating system. ICS is super nice and I can't wait to see what else comes from android. I'm anxious to see the sIII because I'm pretty sure the cheap plastic everyone is referring is the same material on the gnex and its actually a solid ass phone with an almost seamless design. I was worried about getting the gnex knowing it was plastic but its felt better than any other phone (besides of course the iPhone, I give them that). When I went in to best buy on the supposed launch date of the gnex (to find out it was pushed back), the associate actually showed me the dummy phone and I thought it was real because how good it felt. I figured if that was the dummy phone the real phone must be super nice. Try it out iPhone guys

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Bimmer App

- Phil
11 335is - TT 7 spd DCT daily :)
05 Saleen Mustang - forged, stroked, blown,... and on some juice
01 BMW 330ci - Totaled by some bish!
Financial Help

Last edited by SUHLeen; 06-02-2012 at 05:39 PM.
SUHLeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:48 PM   #43
BimmerJustin
I SHOP @ TURNER MOTORSPORT

My Ride: 02325CI,03MIN,06VW
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro3000 View Post
I'd definitely skip on the 4s at this point, and if you go with an s3, get the lower storage capacity. Cloud storage is negating the need for lots of local capacity.
When the iphone 5 comes out, you can decide if it's worth switching or not and possibly sell the S3. I bet if you can root the S3 though, you'll be set for awhile. Maybe until the S4 lol Sent from my ADR6400L using Bimmer App
Good point on the lower cap. If I get the S3 I will also be getting the 5 and giving the S3 to a friend of mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amoeba View Post
Someone actually spends $900 for a phone? I'm fine with paying $200 with a contract.
Dood...I live in Europe. The Euro is mad expensive. I cant do a contract as I wont be here very much longer. I was just wondering also if the quad core version is worth all the extra money. Im guessing not. In retrospect, a 64gb Ipad3 here is $1700.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUHLeen View Post
I wasn't too happy with many of my android phones at first and eventually went to a 4s. I liked it but there were actually a lot of features the iPhone does not have compared to android as far as ease of use for me. Unless I did not play around with it enough, it is so much easier on android when you are in your texts to call someone. This comes in handy when I'm driving because if someone texts me, I could click their picture and call them. With iPhone I'd have to click the persons name, scroll to the top of the persons text or double tap the top, then press call.

Another small thing that bugged me, you could not add attachments to emails unless you started a new one. With android I could attach a picture to an email super easily. Like I said, I could be wrong and maybe did not play with the iphone long enough but there were small conveniences android had that iOS was lacking.

I held on to the 4s until the gnex came out and man was I impressed. Completely different experience. Its like a whole new operating system. ICS is super nice and I can't wait to see what else comes from android. I'm anxious to see the sIII because I'm pretty sure the cheap plastic everyone is referring is the same material on the gnex and its actually a solid ass phone with an almost seamless design. I was worried about getting the gnex knowing it was plastic but its felt better than any other phone (besides of course the iPhone, I give them that). When I went in to best buy on the supposed launch date of the gnex (to find out it was pushed back), the associate actually showed me the dummy phone and I thought it was real because how good it felt. I figured if that was the dummy phone the real phone must be super nice. Try it out iPhone guys

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Bimmer App
Thanks for the advice. i will think about it...
Old 06-02-2012, 05:52 PM   #44
phrozen06
NA V8

My Ride: E46, E92 M3, R32 VW
Send a message via Yahoo to phrozen06
I have the Galaxy Note and after seeing the SIII I can wait even though it's twice as powerful. I do have to admit that the Note's Screen size has me spoiled now.

S65: 4.0 Liter, V8, 414 hp @8,300 rpm, 295 lb/ft @3900 rpm, 445 lb, DOHC, 12:1 C/R, crankshaft 44 lb, wet sump.
2 oil pumps,double vanos variable valve timing, EMS: MSS60, 8 electronically controlled individual throttle butterflies.
4 valves per cylinder, cracked trapezoidal connecting rods, brake energy regeneration. Ion-flow combustion monitoring.

Last edited by phrozen06; 06-02-2012 at 05:54 PM.
phrozen06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:18 PM   #45
jeffro3000

My Ride: 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUHLeen View Post
I wasn't too happy with many of my android phones at first...

... until the gnex came out and man was I impressed. Completely different experience. Its like a whole new operating system. ICS is super nice and I can't wait to see what else comes from android.
This is exactly what i try to tell people. Android has come a long way recently.

Android 2.2 < Android 2.3 < iOS 5 < Android 4.0
jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 01:48 AM   #46
Skazzy

My Ride: 111i
The one thing that really bothers me about getting this is the time Samsung takes to update their phones when an Android update comes out.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:52 AM   #47
Five_seveN

My Ride: rover james
Send a message via AIM to Five_seveN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skazzy View Post
The one thing that really bothers me about getting this is the time Samsung takes to update their phones when an Android update comes out.
that probably has more to do with the service provider rather than the manufacturer
Five_seveN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:18 AM   #48
v8 5

My Ride: 6 speed BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanme View Post
ugly software, ugly hardware.

no one is really coming close to the overall experience apple is offering.
+1

Everything seems second best

We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:57 AM   #49
jeffro3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
+1

Everything seems second best
Depends on what you're after in a phone. The 4s ranks about 10th best for me, just ahead of a couple feature phones.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Bimmer App
Old 06-03-2012, 09:01 AM   #50
phrozen06
NA V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skazzy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Five_seveN View Post
that probably has more to do with the service provider rather than the manufacturer
I think it has to do with Android themselves. They seem to think that by releasing an update (ie. Ice Cream Sandwich) on an older device will deter people from buying newer devices. I don't agree with that because people generally want the latest and greatest anyway.

This is why you have all these 4.0 emulators that are screwing up android devices.

S65: 4.0 Liter, V8, 414 hp @8,300 rpm, 295 lb/ft @3900 rpm, 445 lb, DOHC, 12:1 C/R, crankshaft 44 lb, wet sump.
2 oil pumps,double vanos variable valve timing, EMS: MSS60, 8 electronically controlled individual throttle butterflies.
4 valves per cylinder, cracked trapezoidal connecting rods, brake energy regeneration. Ion-flow combustion monitoring.

Last edited by phrozen06; 06-03-2012 at 09:03 AM.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:26 AM   #51
jeffro3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrozen06 View Post
This is why you have all these 4.0 emulators that are screwing up android devices.
Emulators? Or do you mean ICS themes on gingerbread?

Old 06-04-2012, 05:09 AM   #52
BimmerJustin
I SHOP @ TURNER MOTORSPORT

My Ride: 02325CI,03MIN,06VW
Well...I went and bought it. I will see what all the fuss is about. I will try to post up some screen shots. Quad core 16gb in white.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:13 AM   #53
jeffro3000

5 major US carriers to sell new Samsung Galaxy Galaxy III in June

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/...s-iii-in-june/

Old 06-04-2012, 11:16 AM   #54
joeski3d

My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanme View Post
ugly software, ugly hardware.

no one is really coming close to the overall experience apple is offering.

Ballbusters Inc.

DISCLAIMER: No balls were physically hurt during the reading of this post. Should redness and/or swelling occur consult your gynecologist immediately.
joeski3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:23 PM   #55
MachRc
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2003 Technik S1 M3
Quote:
5 major US carriers to sell new Samsung Galaxy Galaxy III in June

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/...s-iii-in-june/

Update: We've got availability and pricing from carriers.

Verizon's GS3 will be up for pre-order June 6, with the 16GB model for the aforementioned $200 and the 32GB model will be $250.

Sprint will be available for pre-order June 5, and available on June 21, at the same price as Verizon.

T-Mobile's will be out June 21, but no word on the (probably not very different) pricing.

June 6th Im pre ordering two for Verizon!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"We've come a long long way together. Through the hard times and the good.
I have to celebrate you baby,.. I have to priase you like I should.."
MachRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:59 PM   #56
jeffro3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachRc View Post
Update: We've got availability and pricing from carriers.

Verizon's GS3 will be up for pre-order June 6, with the 16GB model for the aforementioned $200 and the 32GB model will be $250.

Sprint will be available for pre-order June 5, and available on June 21, at the same price as Verizon.

T-Mobile's will be out June 21, but no word on the (probably not very different) pricing.

June 6th Im pre ordering two for Verizon!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm holding out for either a Jelly Bean Nexus phone, or an Intel based phone. Or both
Old 06-06-2012, 12:52 PM   #57
MachRc
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2003 Technik S1 M3
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/i...00000005882209

Pre -order time!

"We've come a long long way together. Through the hard times and the good.
I have to celebrate you baby,.. I have to priase you like I should.."
MachRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:06 PM   #58
makecopies

My Ride: Gods Chariot
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrozen06 View Post
I have the Galaxy Note and after seeing the SIII I can wait even though it's twice as powerful. I do have to admit that the Note's Screen size has me spoiled now.
I just saw the Note that thing makes me want to jump from Verizon its so cool!
makecopies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:31 PM   #59
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
I like when people have to chime in Android discussions and say iPHONE! HUR! BETTAR! And similarly when Fandroids have to chime in iPhone discussions and spout their nonsense as well. I've used both and can defend both hardcore.

I currently have a SGS2 on T-Mobile (T989) and I do like it very much. I certainly can't wait to get my hands on the 3!!!!!! Absolutely awesome. I know it won't be much more than the 2 as far as specs or power goes, my 2 is lightning fast and nothing slows it down. Little reason to upgrade other than I want the latest one.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:33 PM   #60
phrozen06
NA V8

Quote:
Emulators? Or do you mean ICS themes on gingerbread?

youre right