E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 06-04-2012, 01:29 AM   #261
cvx5832

My Ride: 325Ci, 325Cic, C300
Exactly that - piezo sirens. There are some labeled piezo buzzers, but I didn't give those a try. There are also several form factors available.

I'm sure if you ask, and had a few minutes to spare, they'd hook them up to a 12v source. Some of them were in sealed packages though.

cvx5832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:36 AM   #262
Alexandrle330ci

My Ride: e46 BMW 330ci Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvx5832 View Post
Exactly that - piezo sirens. There are some labeled piezo buzzers, but I didn't give those a try. There are also several form factors available.

I'm sure if you ask, and had a few minutes to spare, they'd hook them up to a 12v source. Some of them were in sealed packages though.
So just piezo sirens and they would test them thanks!! I want over 100db right!? And what if I took a AA battery
Alexandrle330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:40 AM   #263
cvx5832

My Ride: 325Ci, 325Cic, C300
It would take 8 AA batteries to deliver 12v, but I don't know about amperage. It may be enough, but check the product info on their website if it's available. The 102db siren is there and it will also give you which stores have it available.

cvx5832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:43 AM   #264
Alexandrle330ci

I'll just get the piezo Soren 102db, I have heard no complaints yet, and I know this will work. Thanks
Old 06-05-2012, 11:37 PM   #265
Alexandrle330ci

Alright so I installed the piezo siren 102db. It was 6.27$ with tax I think haha. Could be a little louder, but hey no complaints. The siren will go off of you hold the trunk button down (panic mode) but, if someone simulates a break in it won't go off :/ atleast for me it won't. Here is a link to what it sounds like. Overall I'm happy.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:38 PM   #266
ccagle

My Ride: 02' 325i
Just did this using the 102db from radio shack... Took about 20 min from start to finish.. Might be the easiest mod I've done yet. Not super loud but is effective enough as an audible alert to assure I've locked it.. Nice mod for under $10. I'd give it a 10 out of 10 for the "bang for buck factor"....
ccagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:54 PM   #267
SlimE46

My Ride: 330xi e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowspoo View Post
Here's my side of the story.
When I lock my car, there's a light that blinks by the radio. The clown nose has never lit up. I plugged the red into the brown/black and the black into the black/blue. Nothing happened ( I held down the hood trigger).
EDIT:

The only combination for inputs that returns a sound are RED(from buzzer) into Input 1. Black into Input 2. That's a constant LOUD siren immidiately when connected
Combination in OP doesn't produce the unlock/lock beep. In my trunk, it says i'm prewired for a security system too

Anyone have luck on a 2000 3series or know what i'm doing wrong?

I have the same style wiring harness as this guy, anyone ever figure out how to get it to work with these wires?
SlimE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:23 AM   #268
sdbimmer

My Ride: 2004 325Ci
If the "clown nose" never blinks, then the alarm system needs to be activated. That's the first thing that needs to happen. Then you can figure out the plug wires by tapping into it with a volt meter to find the trigger wire.
sdbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:29 AM   #269
Jperry666

My Ride: 2002 325i 5spd
Awesome mod. Did this today with a 120db siren from radio shack. Programmed the lights to blink yesterday with pa soft 1.4.0. So all in all I got an alarm for about 40 bucks.

Is there any way to have the two beeps for locking instead of unlocking?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Bimmer App

Last edited by Jperry666; 08-20-2012 at 12:42 PM.
Jperry666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:14 PM   #270
ac_2007

My Ride: 2004 M3, 2001 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jperry666 View Post
Awesome mod. Did this today with a 120db siren from radio shack. Programmed the lights to blink yesterday with pa soft 1.4.0. So all in all I got an alarm for about 40 bucks.

Is there any way to have the two beeps for locking instead of unlocking?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Bimmer App
Not as far as I know.

Lock = 1 syllable word = 1 beep
Unlock = 2 syllable word = 2 beeps
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:53 PM   #271
Hovs13

My Ride: E46 325ci
I installed a piezo buzzer (instead of a siren, since I couldn't find one in Canada) and after locking or unlocking the buzzer gives off a faint high pitch tone. After a minute or two it stops.

The tone starts again in several scenarios:
- when a door/trunk/hood is opened/closed
- when a door/trunk/hood is left open it is continuous until you shut it
- when you unlock/lock another bmw (seems to be linked to the signal receiving end of the lock radio)
- and possibly when you drive the car ( i heard it only sometimes but the sound is very faint)

Anyone else notice this?

Wonder if its a result of using a buzzer instead of a siren.
Hovs13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:20 PM   #272
sfcjetjr

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
Today I installed RadioShack pn 273-057. Piezo buzzer, 108 db. Works and sounds factory for the most part. Press unlock, two chirps, each time the chirps are a bit different, due to the cycle in which the buzzer is on. Press lock, get one chirp, again sometimes they are a little different depending on cycle last chirp was stopped. Holding truck release button for approx 3-5 seconds, panic mode is activated, and give off incredible alternating sound volume. After 30 seconds panic mode will reset itself as not to kill battery. Mounted is same spot as others, and 108 db is way loud enough and not be obnoxious. Good one!

Last edited by sfcjetjr; 09-22-2012 at 02:24 PM.
sfcjetjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:07 AM   #273
Dahmwern

My Ride: 2005 BMW 325xi 5spd.
Send a message via AIM to Dahmwern
I just tried this with the 'Shacks 273-079 (102dB siren - same device as the OP used in his videos). It sounded nice but there was one problem which is why I took it out:

Upon locking the car, 7 times out of 10, the siren would make a half-chirp instead of its full chirp, which sounded sad and tasteless. Its like the siren wasn't receiving the full signal to make a "chirp", so it made a "chi.." instead.

Do other people experience this and are too ashamed to admit that this happens or am I amongst the minority?

Before you ask:

- Yes, I'm pre-wired for alarm, and I tapped into the pre-wiring harness
- Yes, I activated DWA (the alarm function), clown nose blinking, and lock/unlock lights-flashing using my coding computer with NCS Expert
- Yes, I was doing everything correctly
- Yes, I did have a good connection from the siren to the harness, because the unlock chirping worked perfectly.

Any ideas?
| CSL 18" Reps | H&R Coilovers | UUC EVO3 Short Shifter | Conforti Shark Injector | Magnaflow exhaust | TMS Power Pulleys | CAI w/ Custom Built Box | Drilled\Slotted Rotors | ZHP Shift Knob | Brushed Metal Trim | ECS Carbon Fiber Brake Handle | Black Grilles | Angel Eyes | DIY Clutch Stop | DEPO Smoked Corners | DEPO Sidemarkers | DEPO Smoked R/C/R Tails | DIY AUX input | DIY Red Needle Mod | CDV Delete | Front Plate Delete | Debadged |

Last edited by Dahmwern; 10-02-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Dahmwern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:20 AM   #274
genuity

My Ride: '1 E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovs13 View Post
I installed a piezo buzzer (instead of a siren, since I couldn't find one in Canada) and after locking or unlocking the buzzer gives off a faint high pitch tone. After a minute or two it stops.
Anyone else notice this?

Wonder if its a result of using a buzzer instead of a siren.
I experienced the same thing, except I didn't wait to see if the faint high pitch tone would stop. There doesn't seem to be many with this issue that we have
genuity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:30 AM   #275
sdbimmer

My Ride: 2004 325Ci
it's because you have a siren and with a siren, the sound will fluctuate up and down (hence the name siren). So when you arm/disarm your car and depending on it the sound is on the rise or on the low, the sound will be different. In your case, the sound also cycles over and over again and you might of caught it when it's about to cycle over again, that's why you are getting a half chirp.

I have the same issue with my siren. Like people have stated earlier, if you want a consistent sound, you might be better off getting a Piezo buzzer.
sdbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:51 PM   #276
Dahmwern

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbimmer View Post
it's because you have a siren and with a siren, the sound will fluctuate up and down (hence the name siren). So when you arm/disarm your car and depending on it the sound is on the rise or on the low, the sound will be different. In your case, the sound also cycles over and over again and you might of caught it when it's about to cycle over again, that's why you are getting a half chirp.

I have the same issue with my siren. Like people have stated earlier, if you want a consistent sound, you might be better off getting a Piezo buzzer.
You may be right, but why hasn't anyone else been complaining about the weird half chip with this model then (its been used many times)?
| CSL 18" Reps | H&R Coilovers | UUC EVO3 Short Shifter | Conforti Shark Injector | Magnaflow exhaust | TMS Power Pulleys | CAI w/ Custom Built Box | Drilled\Slotted Rotors | ZHP Shift Knob | Brushed Metal Trim | ECS Carbon Fiber Brake Handle | Black Grilles | Angel Eyes | DIY Clutch Stop | DEPO Smoked Corners | DEPO Sidemarkers | DEPO Smoked R/C/R Tails | DIY AUX input | DIY Red Needle Mod | CDV Delete | Front Plate Delete | Debadged |
Old 10-02-2012, 04:17 PM   #277
Hovs13

The problem is not a half chirp is a very faint hum.

Anyways, I asked my bro to pickup a siren from the states and I swapped my buzzer for the siren. Fixed the problem. It was more of an annoyance. Most people who got into my car couldn't even hear it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahmwern View Post
You may be right, but why hasn't anyone else been complaining about the weird half chip with this model then (its been used many times)?
Old 10-02-2012, 05:17 PM   #278
Dahmwern

Quote:
The problem is not a half chirp is a very faint hum.

Anyways, I asked my bro to pickup a siren from the states and I swapped my buzzer for the siren. Fixed the problem. It was more of an annoyance. Most people who got into my car couldn't even hear it.
What siren model did you use?
Old 10-02-2012, 06:25 PM   #279
Hovs13

I switched to the 102dB Piezo Siren

Model: 273-079 | Catalog #: 273-079

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahmwern View Post
What siren model did you use?
Old 10-02-2012, 07:09 PM   #280
Dahmwern

Quote:
I switched to the 102dB Piezo Siren

Model: 273-079 | Catalog #: 273-079
That's the one I used.

You didn't get that weird half chirp on the lock function most of the time? I wonder why I get it in my car...

I'm going to try stripping away some of the wire and soldering the wires on to the harness to get a really good connections and see if that fixes anything.

Last edited by Dahmwern; 10-02-2012 at 07:10 PM.