E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2011, 09:30 AM   #1
roadtrip1098

My Ride: 04 M3 SMG LSB
SMG Gear Position Sensor DIY - Finally!

Symptoms as they progress:

Sluggish shifting
Starting in 2nd gear on occasion
Gear Cog Light
Eventually only able to use R, 2, 5 and 6.

Why they happen that way:
When the Gear Position Sensor (GPS from here on out), which has 2 sensors in its housing, is not getting a signal from either of its sensors the SMG computer reverts to a fail safe shifting mode. The reason you only get R, 2, 5 and 6 is easy to understand once you look at the layout of the shift pattern on the 6 spd GETRAG. Here's a crude outline:

R-1-3-5
2-4-6

In the upper left you have reverse, with 2nd in the lower most left position, and 5 and 6 down at the other end. Since the transmission can't tell where the selector is at, it simply says "go all the way left and all the way down" or "all the way right and all the way up" Simple enough right?

Recommended tools required:
Set of sockets (metric obviously)
Ratcheting wrenches are also highly recommended.
10mm inverted torx (a 10mm socket will work if you're in a pinch)
4mm Allen Wrench
Jack and jack stands.

Instructions to follow in the next post.
roadtrip1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:56 AM   #2
roadtrip1098

Step one: Jack up your car securely.... My driveway does not support jacking a car up very safely, so here's what I ended up with:

You will need to raise the rear tires as well in order to spin the drive shaft - we'll get to that later though.

Many will recommend disconnecting the battery, DON'T disconnect the battery, you need power to the SMG pump in order to shift back and forth between N and 2 - again for removing the drive shaft.

Step 2: Getting straight to work, start taking off the skid plates around the transmission (there are 2 plastic skid plates that should be removed)

Step 3: Exhaust removal. I took out the whole section between the headers and the axle back. Here's what I'm talking about***********:

You will need to take out the V shaped brace under there and the two chassis braces (should be pretty obvious when you're under there as one of the braces has exhaust supports on it.

Step 4: The heat shield in the above picture also comes out.

Step 5: Here's what you're looking at:

The part you want to replace is above the drive shaft, so start working on the 3 nuts and bolts holding it to the vibration dampener. Also un-bolt the drive shaft support bearing. You do not need to disconnect the drive shaft from the differential.

Here's where the GPS plugs in:

Be careful with the wires getting them around SMG lines.

Step 6: Use your little midget hands to get a 4mm allen wrench up onto the bottom allen screw of the GPS - Like this:

Step 7: Now you may have already tried and failed at getting the top bolt out - that's what you get for not reading ahead. Take your allen wrench and cut about an inch off the long side and then put it into a vice and bend it like so:

Now go try again, and yes it is still a pain, but at least it will be possible.

Step 8: when you have gotten the ten thousandth thread to finally let go, the GPS will slide out fairly easily, like so:

The new one pops in the same way, you may feel a little click. Put in the bottom allen screw first. Make sure it's tight enough to not move. Now go click your key on and shift to N, then back into gear. If the Cog light is off and your tranny shifts to first I have some good news.

Finish putting everything back together and have fun!
Old 10-09-2011, 07:13 PM   #3
vstyle09

My Ride: M3
awesome man thanks for the diy
vstyle09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:16 PM   #4
kevblah

My Ride: 2005 BMW M3
Send a message via AIM to kevblah
Great DIY!
kevblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:47 PM   #5
roadtrip1098

Glad you guys like it... Hopefully it will save some of you some cash. Also did a Water pump DIY, but there seem to be plenty of people out there that are capable of doing that. As for SMG stuff, if you ever have an issue with yours, PM me I read the hundred and some odd page technical manual from BMW on it and have a pretty good handle on troubleshooting them.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:13 PM   #6
Joemc

My Ride: E46 M3 SMG
Your a god bro next time your in Dublin the beer is on me. I owe u. Gonna it this part tomorrow
Old 10-30-2011, 12:35 AM   #7
twboy1999

My Ride: 03 CB/KIWI
thx for the diy
twboy1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:21 PM   #8
Blue323ci

My Ride: BMW 323 CI
Roadtrip do you have that 1000 page smg manual in a pdf format?
Blue323ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:18 PM   #9
roadtrip1098

Click Here for the SMG Manual This is the 40 page manual that covers most info. I'll see if I can wrestle up the ultra-long winded version for you though.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:18 AM   #10
Brian_67

My Ride: 2005 M3
very nice! thanks for the manual too.
Brian_67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:52 PM   #11
Brian_67

My Ride: 2005 M3
Any update on the longer version of the manual?
Old 06-03-2012, 12:12 PM   #12
roadtrip1098

No luck as of yet. I have been shifting focus slightly to learning the GT1/DIS/SSS/PROGMAN stuff. If I come across it again I'll post it here.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:57 PM   #13
BWOODM3

My Ride: 2002 M3 convertible
Impressed. Thanks a lot, I am sure this will come handy for more to come.
BWOODM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:14 AM   #14
2MCHM4U

My Ride: ///M3
I needed this and wasnt even looking for it. Thanks!
2MCHM4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:19 PM   #15
msport1992

My Ride: bmw 325 m sport
Hey just had a look through your post here and you seem to know what your talking about with SMGs. Wondered if you could help me. I have a 325ci m sport 5spd SMG/SSG. Basically I have been having this re occouring problem where I will be driving and there will be a 4/5 second delay between gear changes and clutch will slip on pull away no cog light nothing then after finishing the journey car goes off leave it a while drive again its perfect :/ weird eh?Few places have said the clutch but if its the clutch how can it be perfectone minute then terrible the next? Seems to be after long drives or if I have others in the car when im on my own just driving to work and home its fine.

Please any help or advice would be brilliant!

Thanks
msport1992 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diy, gear, position, replacement, sensor