E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 23 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-06-2012, 11:14 AM   #41
ac_2007

My Ride: F32 M4, E46 M3/325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by aphhpa View Post
Cool future reading bro. Who wins world series this year?
By the time my original rotors wear out it might be the Red Sox.

Used eBay brakes/rotors on family members' cars (you know, the daily driver type that has to get you to and from work even through a harsh winter).
Rusty, noisy, vibrating only 12 months later. Almost non-existent warranty. Never again.

If you liked this story, I can tell it again bro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpgolf1 View Post
The e46 M3 is by far the most boring and worst M3 that BMW has made to date.
It's amazing to me that a non M E46 is such a beautiful car but the E46 M has never done much for me.
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:17 AM   #42
DW500

My Ride: 2001 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
Please learn how to read, sir! Kindly! Thank you! I said what my $148.68 price was for and again, it was for Brembo rotors and Textar pads. (Quality components)

Besides there's really no reason to use drilled rotors on these cars. You actually might be hurting your braking and your wallet.
I can read... I only mentioned the D/S rotors because that is what the OP wanted and purchased. If you want to compare stock style rotors then the price difference is still significant. I purchased a set of front rotors and ceramic pads for my 325Ci for $101.00 (shipping included). So that is a $47.00 savings.

Also note that I completely agree on using non-drilled/slotted rotors. I don't really like them, but some people do. We can't make cost comparisons on dis-similar items.

DW
DW500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:21 AM   #43
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
I don't acknowledge eBay rotors, especially those with holes in them. Therefore, they do not exist, even to compare. OP basically has no brakes.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:27 AM   #44
DW500

Quote:
Fact: Genuine BMW, OEM, Brembo are proven, known, high-quality brake part manufacturers.

Fact: Callahan is not.

Fact: You are taking a gamble with the brake parts you purchased and installed.

Fact: One should not gamble with brakes.
Then you would have to apply that thinking to more than just rotors and pads. Suspension parts, wheel bearings, steering components, etc. At what point do you not go with a less expensive alternative?

Some of these things might take into consideration the type of driving you do. I don't drive my cars hard, so I am not looking for racing quality components. If you do, then perhaps the lower cost items are not for you.

DW
Old 06-06-2012, 11:32 AM   #45
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW500 View Post
Then you would have to apply that thinking to more than just rotors and pads. Suspension parts, wheel bearings, steering components, etc. At what point do you not go with a less expensive alternative?

Some of these things might take into consideration the type of driving you do. I don't drive my cars hard, so I am not looking for racing quality components. If you do, then perhaps the lower cost items are not for you.

DW
Brakes are the most important safety feature of any car. The answer is common sense.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 06-06-2012, 12:31 PM   #46
DW500

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46mango View Post
i don't acknowledge ebay rotors, especially those with holes in them. Therefore, they do not exist, even to compare. Op basically has no brakes.
LOL!

Dw
Old 06-06-2012, 12:47 PM   #47
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
OP, I'll be curious to read how you like your brakes after you've used them awhile...and hope you'll remember to update thread periodically.

Just for comparison's sake, I put balo's and textars in all four corners maybe 4-5 years ago. 60K miles later, all I had to do was new front pads. The rotors were all above min thickness...rear pads had only halfway worn down. The front pads were down to 1.5 mm 700 miles after the pad warning light went on.

Of course, having a manual helps, but still....not too shabby. At the time I got my last pads, they were $50 or so.

And that lack of bite you feel at the end of a stop might be good for you to feel, but to me, it tells me they're not grabbing. I want that bite...that could be 10' or more shorter stopping distance. Ever since I almost ran over a cute beagle, I haven't once considered changing the brakes.

Anyway, OP, update us...let us know you're still alive periodically...and plan a little further ahead for cute animals running in front of you!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:07 PM   #48
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
...and they're off!

Tampa, Mango was speaking hyperbolically is all. He knows bad components exist in the non-Mango universe, but he's afraid of traveling there out of fear he won't live to return.

I, personally, won't experiment with stuff like that...well, honestly, with almost no stuff on my car. I like my BMW as it is, which is as it was and as it will be.

Let's not ruin OP's review thread for him!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:13 PM   #49
boostedisbetter

My Ride: 03 S2000
Quote:
BTW, weren't you the one who set your own car on fire when installing angel eyes? You might want to consider who you call dumb. Just sayin
BAZZINGA!!! You witty little rascal, you! I <3 you so much!

I only posted it because what you said was... well... DUMB... The AEs did not catch fire, it just melted the harness. I was being dramatic to get people to enter the thread and help out... AEs installed perfectly now lol.

Next time explain your stupidity before you bring up mine, all-powerful-and-mighty Mango...And incase you don't know what your stupidity consisted of, you said having ebay brakes is like having no brakes at all. That doesn't even make sense and could quite possibly be the only dumb thing you have ever said- I'm glad I was here to see it

Last edited by boostedisbetter; 06-06-2012 at 01:47 PM.
boostedisbetter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:17 PM   #50
Mango
A full five stars, son

Going in circles here. Brakes shouldn't be skimped on. Hence my comment that I don't acknowledge them. Didn't think that actually needed an explanation.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 06-06-2012, 01:41 PM   #51
boostedisbetter

Quote:
Going in circles here. Brakes shouldn't be skimped on. Hence my comment that I don't acknowledge them. Didn't think that actually needed an explanation.
So you really think that ALL four rotors are going to fail at one time??? Even TWO rotors failing at the same time would be REALLY rare.

If anything he cracks a single rotor and calls Callahan, they replace all four for free, and boom, at least another year of life for your rotors.

Again, to say "having ebay rotors is like having no rotors at all" is in fact a DUMB statement, sorry you can't live with that- I know you think you're perfect.

...and sorry I thought you were Gheybe, you guys kinda act the same

Last edited by boostedisbetter; 06-06-2012 at 01:44 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:43 PM   #52
aphhpa

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Send a message via AIM to aphhpa
Okay mango show me the sources that back up your theory that Callahan is NOT a good brake.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:00 PM   #53
ptrcd003

My Ride: .
Quote:
Say what you want but obviously you Guys debating this have never used such products because you're so scared they are cheap. If you haven't tried them then who are you to say wtf they are? I'm actually comparing them to oem by experience. I've used non oem eBay crap on both my e46s, including eBay brakes and have never had an issue. So u can keep paying more for the same outcome and I'll keep paying less.
Are you honestly suggesting we buy shitty Chinese rotors? They're literally the thing keeping you alive while driving. It only takes one failure to kill you. I have no problem paying $60 a rotor for OE BMW rotors, as I know the manufacturer meets specs and does something called QUALITY CONTROL. For the price you're paying, you really think they care about quality? Do you think the guy making 2 cents an hour making the rotors will be concerned if he notices something wrong?
ptrcd003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:11 PM   #54
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa01e46 View Post
So you really think that ALL four rotors are going to fail at one time??? Even TWO rotors failing at the same time would be REALLY rare.

If anything he cracks a single rotor and calls Callahan, they replace all four for free, and boom, at least another year of life for your rotors.

Again, to say "having ebay rotors is like having no rotors at all" is in fact a DUMB statement, sorry you can't live with that- I know you think you're perfect.

...and sorry I thought you were Gheybe, you guys kinda act the same
Nobody said anything about "thinking" the rotors would fail. Anything can fail. Fact is these brakes aren't name brand and aren't reputable. The OP saved 68 cents to test the unknown. Do you really want to put the words 'unknown' and 'brakes' together?

Quote:
Okay mango show me the sources that back up your theory that Callahan is NOT a good brake.
You don't realize 10% of what goes into making a brake rotor; the processes, quality consistency checks, etc., do you? You think some eBay brake rotor company has the same level of resources, engineers, and or quality control procedures a company like Brembo does? Just because they look the same doesn't mean that they are.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 06-06-2012, 03:05 PM   #55
DW500

Quote:
Nobody said anything about "thinking" the rotors would fail. Anything can fail. Fact is these brakes aren't name brand and aren't reputable. The OP saved 68 cents to test the unknown. Do you really want to put the words 'unknown' and 'brakes' together?
They are a name brand, the brand is called 'Callahan'. Yes, they are made in China, perhaps in the same factory as Brembo.

Don't forget that Brembo does have brake component manufacturing in China.

It is a chunk of steel, how bad could they f**k that up?

DW
Old 06-06-2012, 03:07 PM   #56
taibinhvuong

My Ride: E46 99' 328i
OP, you will be fine, about 2 years ago I put in the same drill and cross rotors and ceramic pads on all four brakes, all parts including 4 rotors, 4 pair of pads and 2 sensors with a total of $175 shipped, and it's been over 20K miles of driving and they still look good, brake good, no rust, no noise and minimal dust. To me they're awesome product with the price tag. So if you don't race your car or drive your car really hard then these rotors and brake pads are excellent (I don't race or drive my car hard so I can't command on that). Op, don't worry and be scare away by those who has not using these products and criticize them.
taibinhvuong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:00 PM   #57
DW500

Quote:
If you do not track or drive your car hard, what was the reason for the "performance" rotors?
Probably because many people think they look good (I do not) or are better becuase they are used in high performance applications.

DW
Old 06-06-2012, 04:05 PM   #58
boostedisbetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW500 View Post
It is a chunk of steel, how bad could they f**k that up?
As a Mechanical Engineer that has taken many materials, manufacturing, and stress analysis classes, I say to YOU sir, they can f^ck it up REALLY REALLY bad! I agree with Mango on this one, throw your keyboard away! haha

BUT! I don't see rotor quality being the number one thing you should spend your hard earned money on. There are four of them, and if one goes out/cracks, you have 3 others that will compensate for it. If we were talking about, lets say the guy that posted a thread about his Rogue "engineering" pulley snapping, that's another story, there is NO backup for that, your car WILL overheat.

Also, you can get a set of these Callahan blank brakes for $130 SHIPPED, all four. I think that's a good deal even if they DO eff up, especially with a 1 year warranty and a DIRECT phone number you can call them at. I don't know how the OP only saved 68 cents... That is an incorrect calculation.

indeed

Last edited by boostedisbetter; 06-06-2012 at 04:07 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:08 PM   #59
///MPR77

My Ride: 02 ///M3 Tri-Ped
I remember a movie about these in the 90's

*Edit Damn I'm in too late.

Bewahren Sie ihre ultimative fahrmaschine

Last edited by ///MPR77; 06-06-2012 at 04:11 PM.
///MPR77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:10 PM   #60
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa01e46 View Post
As a Mechanical Engineer that has taken many materials, manufacturing, and stress analysis classes, I say to YOU sir, they can f^ck it up REALLY REALLY bad! I agree with Mango on this one, throw your keyboard away! haha

BUT! I don't see rotor quality being the number one thing you should spend your hard earned money on. There are four of them, and if one goes out/cracks, you have 3 others that will compensate for it. If we were talking about, lets say the guy that posted a thread about his Rogue "engineering" pulley snapping, that's another story, there is NO backup for that, your car WILL overheat.

Also, you can get a set of these Callahan blank brakes for $130 SHIPPED, all four. I think that's a good deal even if they DO eff up, especially with a 1 year warranty and a DIRECT phone number you can call them at. I don't know how the OP only saved 68 cents... That is an incorrect calculation.

indeed
I went to BMAparts.com, added front brembo blanks and textar pads to my cart and added the spece30 discount. My total came to $148.68 SHIPPED. The OP said he spent $148 SHIPPED.

how is my calculation incorrect?

How about a one year warranty on a Callahan bungee cords? or how about a parachute? If your parachute fails on your descent into Afghanistan or Pakistan, or onto the roof of DMAX's house, they'll send you three free parachutes at no charge!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS