E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-06-2012, 04:19 PM   #61
boostedisbetter

My Ride: 03 S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
How about a one year warranty on a Callahan bungee cords? or how about a parachute?
Mango... Dude, i just stated what I meant. LIKE I SAID with rotors you have FOUR of them, and if one goes out/cracks, you have 3 others that will compensate for it. If we were talking about, lets say, a PARACHUTE, or a BUNGEE CORD, you don't have a backup, you are just F^CKED.

Come on Mango, you have to see where I'm coming from here man.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:30 PM   #62
Wolrab

My Ride: 330Ci MT, 545i SMG
Send a message via Skype™ to Wolrab
Seems to me anyone so passionate about shaving a few $$ on BRAKES is driving the wrong car. It's a BMW, they cost a lot to run.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:31 PM   #63
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
Buy name-brand, OE/OEM, or high-quality known aftermarket components.

Do not buy off-brand eBay, regardless of savings. I don't care if OE was $1,000 and eBay was 1 cent. Do not do it.

End of story.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:01 PM   #64
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Meyles are like... $30 each and are GEOMET coated...
Old 06-06-2012, 05:16 PM   #65
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
This is true. I only priced REALLY name-brand components like Brembo. Seems OP actually PAID MORE MONEY to have inferior parts.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 06-06-2012, 05:45 PM   #66
DW500

My Ride: 2001 325Ci
Quote:
Here's some comforting material about eBay rotors:

http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621116
Good to know, luckily I don't care for drilled/slotted rotors. Any comment I make is based on blank rotors only.

DW
DW500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:46 PM   #67
Thotfulspot

My Ride: 2003 330Xi
Is it me or are there are a higher percentage of people with parts issues were bought from eBay. We're talking 30 - 40 thousand dollar performance cars (when they were new) and try to save a couple bucks buying parts on eBay. I don't care if it's $.30 or $20 I pay the extra for quality parts.

If you've ever in a manufacturing plant in the far east (I have for electronic parts) you'll notice they have two bins at quality control. The good bin and the bad bin. Do you really think they throw away the bad parts. It cost my company over a million dollars two years ago from someone in China subbing parts from the bad bin in our amplifiers. He did it randomly so it took a year to figure it out. We weren't the only ones this individual screwed.

Last edited by Thotfulspot; 06-06-2012 at 05:47 PM.
Thotfulspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:00 PM   #68
DW500

My Ride: 2001 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
For drilled/slotted rotors or blanks? If you are going to compare pricing, at least compare the same thing. Nobody is arguing that blanks are less expensive that drilled rotors.

And Meyles are reportedly made in China and Thailand.

DW
DW500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:10 PM   #69
boostedisbetter

My Ride: 03 S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by aphhpa View Post
See.. Being ignorant again Mango.

You say "eBay" brakes as if you can't buy BREMBO off eBay. So if you're aiming your degrading opinion about brakes towards "eBay" brakes than brembo sucks too.

Ya Mango, I tried to reason with you and you really are just being a jerk man. You can't see where I'm coming from? At all? It's common sense, 4 is better than 1. Therefore, if you need to possibly save a few bucks on parts, it's BETTER to cheap out on the parts that have backups than the single part that will cause a problem instantly.

R1concepts had a whole string of bad rotors that went out, and most stories that surfaced were for the TL. My friend got 4 sets of rotors from them (D/S rotors) for his TL that ALL warped within a month. This obviously doesn't happen to all "ebay" rotors or there would be tens of thousands of complaints and horror stories. That Callahan ebay seller has over 20,000 positive feedback JUST for his rotors. I sure as hell don't see 10, much less 10,000 horror stories of cracked or warped rotors. I can't find ONE story of a SPECIFIC Callahan incident...

I know you say he saved $.68, but in MY case, I would be saving $230.00 (4 Callahan @ $130, 4 brembo @ $360) Also, I have daily access to a full lift and air tools, so changing rotors is a 45 minute job at max if one fails. ALSO, I would be getting the full disk brakes, not the D/S.

Trying to compromise here dude Lets see if you have that skill under that chromium cranium of yours

Last edited by boostedisbetter; 06-06-2012 at 06:12 PM.
boostedisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:11 PM   #70
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW500 View Post
For drilled/slotted rotors or blanks? If you are going to compare pricing, at least compare the same thing. Nobody is arguing that blanks are less expensive that drilled rotors.

And Meyles are reportedly made in China and Thailand.

DW
Sigh. You were told to throw your keyboard away. Why haven't you yet? This is not about where parts are made, but WHO designed and oversaw the manufacturing of them.

The other part of this is that 9 times out of 10, drilled rotors are improperly done, stupidly unnecessary, or just purchased for looks. Which goes back to "you should just buy blank rotors."

You were the one who said rotors are just a piece of steel and that it doesn't matter what rotors you buy.

Unplug it. Toss it. PLZ

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 06-06-2012, 06:13 PM   #71
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa01e46 View Post
Ya Mango, I tried to reason with you and you really are just being a jerk man. You can't see where I'm coming from? At all? It's common sense, 4 is better than 1. Therefore, if you need to possibly save a few bucks on parts, it's BETTER to cheap out on the parts that have backups than the single part that will cause a problem instantly.

R1concepts had a whole string of bad rotors that went out, and most stories that surfaced were for the TL. My friend got 4 sets of rotors from them (D/S rotors) for his TL that ALL warped within a month. This obviously doesn't happen to all "ebay" rotors or there would be tens of thousands of complaints and horror stories. That Callahan ebay seller has over 20,000 positive feedback JUST for his rotors. I sure as hell don't see 10, much less 10,000 horror stories of cracked or warped rotors. I can't find ONE story of a SPECIFIC Callahan incident...

I know you say he saved $.68, but in MY case, I would be saving $230.00 (4 Callahan @ $130, 4 brembo @ $360) Also, I have daily access to a full lift and air tools, so changing rotors is a 45 minute job at max if one fails. ALSO, I would be getting the full disk brakes, not the D/S.

Trying to compromise here dude Lets see if you have that skill under that chromium cranium of yours
I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Is English your second language? (No offense if it is, just curious)

You're not understanding something.

The OP purchased two front rotors and a set of front pads.. We are talking about two front rotors and a front set of front pads. Period.

Not sure where/why/how you are bringing in this fantasy scenario here of four eBay brake rotors/pads. Is that what you really want for your car? Go for it.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 06-06-2012, 06:16 PM   #72
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
BRB gunna make some rotors, dawg. Who wants to try 1st??? Imma make 10 sets.

1) aphha
2) Tabinvhong
3) DW
4) Tampa01E46
5) ?????
Just adding to the barnyard list! Who's next????

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 06-06-2012, 06:40 PM   #73
E46330iguy

My Ride: Supercharged 330i
Put ta bit of heat into them and i bet you wont like them anymore

you've Met a terrible fate haven't you ?

KONI /Michelin/Stoptec/Borla/ Bimmerbrake / MTechII/AA Stage one (for now) Automatic--->5 speed swap/ UUC High performance clutch kit

Questions about Header wrap? clickHere
Supercharger build thread click Here
E46330iguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:52 PM   #74
white46

My Ride: e46 323ci
I don't mind people trying new stuff. Only way to get some kind of reputation is by using and writing reviews on them.
Who knows, after 10 years later Callahan may become decent OE replacement rotor like Zimmerman.

In that sense, I love seering and reading reviews, but will I be the guinea pig? No thanks.
Probs to OP tho.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:57 PM   #75
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Just adding to the barnyard list! Who's next????
Mango,

I'll need to replace my rear rotors on my 328i in about 170K miles...say 10 years. Could you put me on your list? If you're making rotors, I know they'd be made of the finest Corinthian Metal. And I'll be a baller then, so you can charge me an extra $0.68 no problem!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:05 PM   #76
ac_2007

My Ride: 2004 M3, 2001 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Mango,

I'll need to replace my rear rotors on my 328i in about 170K miles...say 10 years. Could you put me on your list? If you're making rotors, I know they'd be made of the finest Corinthian Metal. And I'll be a baller then, so you can charge me an extra $0.68 no problem!
Doug, can you please promise me that even if your car doesn't make it the next 10 years, you will convert it into some sort of garden decoration?
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:14 PM   #77
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

No problem, D.

BTW, some of you ppl, stop getting caught up in the name 'Callahan.' These chinese copycats take the most vague, american-sounding names and apply them to their rotors to give potential customers the impression that there's a reputable sounding familiar or techy sounding name behind it when in fact they're mass-produced by one guy and resold by many.

Here's some of the names that come up for E46 rotors on eBay:

BrakeMotive
PrimeChoice
R1
Eline performance
Callahan
ABT
Powerbrakes
FastSource
Dura Int'l
Parts Master
Powersport

This was just the first page too... lol

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 06-06-2012, 07:15 PM   #78
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post
Doug, can you please promise me that even if your car doesn't make it the next 10 years, you will convert it into some sort of garden decoration?
I vote turn it into a helicopter. Like that cat. Orvillecopter.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 06-06-2012, 07:26 PM   #79
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=2570512

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 06-06-2012, 07:29 PM   #80
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post
I've actually thought it would make a good casket...just need to find a place with reasonable parking rates! Or, maybe, I'll raffle off the car in my last will and testament with the stipulation that I get to have the trunk to myself!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote