E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Australia

Australia
Check out other E46Fanatics members rides in the Enthusist Directory!

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2012, 10:39 PM   #21
TWD
The Weekend Detailer

My Ride: All sorts of cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by petere46 View Post
So I got 2 quotes to fix up my swirls, one was 550 and the other 280.
Major difference was that the cheaper will be done in 3 hours or so, the other will be all day.

The cheaper does not do any seals just straight up cut and polish the 550 guy uses a seal. How important is this?
Hi Peter. Welcome to the forums.

Honestly, a 3 hour paint correction detail? That's almost the time taken for most of enthusiasts to wash a car properly

Once you find out about what products and procedure the $550 detailer is using, send me a PM and I can review and give you my recommendations.

It's important to clean, correct and protect. That's the fundamentals.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:14 PM   #22
Chewy

My Ride: '03 LSB M3 Vert SMG
What is the name of this detailer?
Old 06-07-2012, 12:10 AM   #23
petere46

My Ride: E46
Ok have just spoken to him again. I wrote down his process, dont know what half of it is!!! Now I'm thinking he thinks im weird!!! But he totally understood where i was coming from.
Iron X, Foam lance, sponge wash, clay, I think its called menkerna polish, 2 stage, 1 stage to correct swirls he said and one stage to remove any holograms and to really gloss up the paintwork and thats a finishing polish. He then said he needs to give a the car a wipe down with a isoprpoynol solution to get rid of polish oils. He gave me a choice whether i went coating or seal, i went seal cause cheaper lol, and thats called nitroseal

Dont want to name him, cause hes not a forum sponsor but has done a couple of members here
petere46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:07 AM   #24
TWD
The Weekend Detailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by petere46 View Post
Ok have just spoken to him again. I wrote down his process, dont know what half of it is!!! Now I'm thinking he thinks im weird!!! But he totally understood where i was coming from.
Iron X, Foam lance, sponge wash, clay, I think its called menkerna polish, 2 stage, 1 stage to correct swirls he said and one stage to remove any holograms and to really gloss up the paintwork and thats a finishing polish. He then said he needs to give a the car a wipe down with a isoprpoynol solution to get rid of polish oils. He gave me a choice whether i went coating or seal, i went seal cause cheaper lol, and thats called nitroseal

Dont want to name him, cause hes not a forum sponsor but has done a couple of members here
Sounds like he's doing the usual. Menzerna polishes are fantastic! I haven't used NitroSeal myself, but from what I've heard, you might get ~12-18mths.
Personally, for most daily drivers you'd use a synthetic sealant.

Let us know how it goes
Old 06-07-2012, 05:43 PM   #25
petere46

started my car at 7 this morning, looks like a hell of a long process!!!!
Old 06-07-2012, 07:50 PM   #26
M3N7AL

My Ride: E46 M3
A full detail should only take a day.

Also, for a mechanic Worx is the way to go. Good service and Steve knows what he's talking about, i've done the blokes head in time after time lol (sorry Steve!)

I'll be getting my next service & seafoam treatment done at Worx.
M3N7AL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:07 PM   #27
petere46

Yes worx will hear from me soon re servicing!

I just popped in from work to see how it was and the car is looking heaps better already, cant see anymore swirls in the bonnet!
Old 06-07-2012, 10:47 PM   #28
TWD
The Weekend Detailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3N7AL View Post
A full detail should only take a day.
Depends what needs doing. And depends what your definition of "detailing" is.

Now if we're talking about what Peter is getting done to his car (wash, clay, single stage polish, sealant) then yes, a day should be ok.

I've always said, TIME is the main ingredient to a good detail
Old 06-07-2012, 11:09 PM   #29
petere46

cant wait to see it when I get home, he did mention to me that the cheap detailers are sometimes cheap for a reason and that they may be using a lot of filling type products. Thanks for your help TWD!
Old 06-11-2012, 07:01 PM   #30
petere46

guys, i thought i would update and tell yas that I could not be any happier with the result of the detail, he did a fantastic job.
Thanks for all your help
Old 02-01-2013, 01:52 PM   #31
Rudy540

500$ for 100k mile tune up from a bmw mechanic, it's a hookup, u guys thinks its reasonable? One small problem though, 1hr drive to get to him...worth it???????
Rudy540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:36 PM   #32
Sherweeeny

My Ride: BMW Civic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worx View Post
Really. If you want a job done in under 4 hours, it's not going to do much. Three passes of a car takes more than 4 hours when done right. It takes more time than you think to cut all the swirl marks from a car.

You will find they will use silicone products and other items like that, that will cover swirl and light marks, but after 6 or so washes it will just look the same. Also most detailers will put holograms into your paint work. Lets hope they know what they are doing. Good luck.
Let me guess.... on the detailing forums if a potential double whammy customer comes in, then this Damien guy would tell people to go to WORX as others use urine instead of engine oil and that sure it costs less and the choice is theirs, but good luck?
Old 02-02-2013, 03:27 AM   #33
chrisa_92

My Ride: 330ci
L.A PERFORMANCE OAKLEIGH

Really good mechanic only uses original parts and oils and is really good on price. Look him up on the net!
chrisa_92 is offline   Reply With Quote