E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum

Motorsports & Track Forum
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2012, 03:13 AM   #61
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
Oh.... this thread.

I turned 18. School is out. I'm signed up for the BMWCCA "Flat Out Classic" HPDE at Heartland Park Topeka this weekend. I'm in run group 3, intermediate. (I know people)

I've installed all the stuff that I was talking about earlier, plus my friend gave me some 525 front and 670 rear lb/in linear springs, so I got those on when I did my camber plates. Also did the GC rear weight jacks.

That is all.
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:59 PM   #62
Andy2108

Well, the weekend went well.

Intermediate run group ended up working perfectly. By the end of the day I was the fastest car in my group. I got signed off for Solo, so I did two runs w/o an instructor. It was nice to be able to drive alone, but I missed out on a little bit of instruction. I had to have a different instructor towards the end because my first one lost his voice. My first one was really good. We worked on line and using all of the track. My second one seemed less helpful because he was talking less, but he helped me find a better line through two turns. With him I started paying more attention to braking. The RE-11's are the obvious weak link when I'm braking, but that's not saying much. My pedal felt awesome and never got soft and my pads never gave up. I could replace my brake booster to make the pedal feel like a new car again, but whatever. By the end of the day I caught myself using the brakes to rotate the car into the turn and then the power to rotate the car out. I'm going back to the track on Wednesday, which is awesome because I have time to think and then I'll get to practice. We'll run from 12 noon till dark, so I should get ALOT of time in. I still need to make sure I'm using the whole track, and paying attention to by brake and turn-in points.

My cars limits are obviously crazy high, and I have a new found respect for the car... and the linear springs. When I was going 8/10ths the car was covering up any mistakes and I felt like I could nearly take any line. In my last few sessions I was going more like 9/10ths which was just perfect. I had to break hard but I wasn't on them for a long time, and I was carrying the proper amount of speed through the faster turns. The amount of power is just absolutely perfect. I imagined I might have too much power and I wouldn't be able to put it all down, but that wasn't a problem. The car started rotating more when the tires got real hot though. Its really set up pretty well, I don't think I'll change it at all. I didn't bring my toe in to -3.5, I was running my street setup of -2.3 @ zero toe, so they wore a little more on the outside. I might bring the camber in for Wednesday. My tire pressures were good, if a little high. Around 40 hot. I might bring it down to 38ish, but I wasn't worried about it, I just checked once to make sure everything was OK.

EDIT: Oh yeah. I mentioned I was the fastest in my group, which consisted of a old 911 race car on r-comps, a ZO6 on r-comps, and a 911 Turbo, among other slow momentum cars. The Turbo was insanely fast in the straights, but he could never catch me in the corners

Last edited by Andy2108; 06-11-2012 at 07:14 PM.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:48 PM   #63
Andy2108

Update this thread? SURE! Why not...

uh

so this year. Updated the car a bit, see my sig/build thread. Car is becoming more of a racecar... that I still drive on the street. In short, its got all new brakes, pretty much new everything in the front end (minus the rack). Got MCS 2-way remotes. hell yeah. stupid high limits now. because racecar?

Went to Hallet for a bmwcca DE and had alot of fun. Went to Heartland Park for a NASA DE and learned a thing or two... I think I went to some open track days at HPT too. Starting to work on my NASA comp license. Might get into TT's someday with my friends. I didnt know spec miata did a "teen" (13-21) race, but that could be, uh, fun.

My driving improved markedly this year. From here on I need to work on pulling everything together, and read some more. I can heel-toe like a boss, which is something I couldn't do last year. Slowly dipping my toes (hehe) into trailbraking and rotating the car with the brake pedal and such. I have an AiM Solo DL that I'm starting to use more and more.

I'm getting involved with the Formula-SAE team at The University of Kansas. In short, they build a little formula car every year and go compete in many different competitions, one of which is like autocross basically. The car is like a one third scale formula car... with 1/10th the power. But they're very excited to have a new driver coming in, so to prepare I'll be doing alot of driving... for the sake of the team, of course . I have to practice auto crosses, which is meh, but I also have the Circuit of the Americas, High Plains Raceway, Hallet, and (of course) Heartland Park on my schedule for the summer.

De gustibus non est disputandum.

Last edited by Andy2108; 12-22-2013 at 08:55 PM.