E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:39 PM   #1241
jeffro3000

My Ride: 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
Have they teleported an entire atom? Quantum superposition and teleportation are two different things. Either way, we're going to need some serious computing power to store the location of every atom in the human body, all 6.7e1027 of them.
I think he was talking about quantum entanglement. The atom itself hasn't been teleported i don't think, but information from the atom has been transferred to another. Like the article i posted above. Quantum computers, beaming internet to the moon or mars with no latency, etc... lol
jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:07 PM   #1242
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:37 PM   #1243
k2pilot

My Ride: Z4MC & B8 S4
Proof that real life is as cool looking as the movies.

Also this thing,
Old 06-08-2012, 01:10 AM   #1244
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2pilot View Post
Also this thing,
If you can press the bubbles like normal buttons, then I'm sold.
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:09 PM   #1245
cowmoo32
drunken science

My money, take it.

flickher

Old 06-12-2012, 12:40 PM   #1246
GRIFFIN
NWS

My Ride: 04 330i zsp,zpp,zcw

** Removed - Please stop - Tim330i **
*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
* Continuing to put animated images in your sig will get you banned - Tim330i *
**You make me so horny.- Tim330i **
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
I can honestly say that because of Griffin, i am desensitized to alot of wierd stuff!
GRIFFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:59 PM   #1247
cowmoo32
drunken science

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIFFIN View Post
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/cookie2000ad/178918_10151126387859027_1365538705_n.jpg[IMG]
Always loved that one.

Just came across this
http://f uckyeahmolecularbiology.tumblr.com/

flickher

Old 06-12-2012, 03:47 PM   #1248
GRIFFIN
NWS

My Ride: 04 330i zsp,zpp,zcw
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...=150805165470+

** Removed - Please stop - Tim330i **
*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
* Continuing to put animated images in your sig will get you banned - Tim330i *
**You make me so horny.- Tim330i **
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
I can honestly say that because of Griffin, i am desensitized to alot of wierd stuff!
GRIFFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:01 PM   #1249
cowmoo32
drunken science

Where do I sign? Imagine a brain boosting computer powered by sugar
http://www.mit.edu/newsoffice/2012/g..******-0612.html
Quote:
New energy source for future medical implants: sugar
MIT engineers have developed a fuel cell that runs on the same sugar that powers human cells: glucose. This glucose fuel cell could be used to drive highly efficient brain implants of the future, which could help paralyzed patients move their arms and legs again.

The fuel cell, described in the June 12 edition of the journal PLoS ONE, strips electrons from glucose molecules to create a small electric current. The researchers, led by Rahul Sarpeshkar, an associate professor of electrical engineering and computer science at MIT, fabricated the fuel cell on a silicon chip, allowing it to be integrated with other circuits that would be needed for a brain implant.

The idea of a glucose fuel cell is not new: In the 1970s, scientists showed they could power a pacemaker with a glucose fuel cell, but the idea was abandoned in favor of lithium-ion batteries, which could provide significantly more power per unit area than glucose fuel cells. These glucose fuel cells also utilized enzymes that proved to be impractical for long-term implantation in the body, since they eventually ceased to function efficiently.

The new twist to the MIT fuel cell described in PLoS ONE is that it is fabricated from silicon, using the same technology used to make semiconductor electronic chips. The fuel cell has no biological components: It consists of a platinum catalyst that strips electrons from glucose, mimicking the activity of cellular enzymes that break down glucose to generate ATP, the cell's energy currency. (Platinum has a proven record of long-term biocompatibility within the body.) So far, the fuel cell can generate up to hundreds of microwatts - enough to power an ultra-low-power and clinically useful neural implant.

"It will be a few more years into the future before you see people with spinal-cord injuries receive such implantable systems in the context of standard medical care, but those are the sorts of devices you could envision powering from a glucose-based fuel cell," says Benjamin Rapoport, a former graduate student in the Sarpeshkar lab and the first author on the new MIT study.

Rapoport calculated that in theory, the glucose fuel cell could get all the sugar it needs from the cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) that bathes the brain and protects it from banging into the skull. There are very few cells in the CSF, so it's highly unlikely that an implant located there would provoke an immune response. There is also significant glucose in the CSF, which does not generally get used by the body. Since only a small fraction of the available power is utilized by the glucose fuel cell, the impact on the brain's function would likely be small.

Karim Oweiss, an associate professor of electrical engineering, computer science and neuroscience at Michigan State University, says the work is a good step toward developing implantable medical devices that don't require external power sources.

"It's a proof of concept that they can generate enough power to meet the requirements," says Oweiss, adding that the next step will be to demonstrate that it can work in a living animal.

A team of researchers at Brown University, Massachusetts General Hospital and other institutions recently demonstrated that paralyzed patients could use a brain-machine interface to move a robotic arm; those implants have to be plugged into a wall outlet.

Mimicking biology with microelectronics

Sarpeshkar's group is a leader in the field of ultra-low-power electronics, having pioneered such designs for cochlear implants and brain implants. "The glucose fuel cell, when combined with such ultra-low-power electronics, can enable brain implants or other implants to be completely self-powered," says Sarpeshkar, author of the book "Ultra Low Power Bioelectronics." This book discusses how the combination of ultra-low-power and energy-harvesting design can enable self-powered devices for medical, bio-inspired and portable applications.

Sarpeshkar's group has worked on all aspects of implantable brain-machine interfaces and neural prosthetics, including recording from nerves, stimulating nerves, decoding nerve signals and communicating wirelessly with implants. One such neural prosthetic is designed to record electrical activity from hundreds of neurons in the brain's motor cortex, which is responsible for controlling movement. That data is amplified and converted into a digital signal so that computers - or in the Sarpeshkar team's work, brain-implanted microchips - can analyze it and determine which patterns of brain activity produce movement.

The fabrication of the glucose fuel cell was done in collaboration with Jakub Kedzierski at MIT's Lincoln Laboratory. "This collaboration with Lincoln Lab helped make a long-term goal of mine - to create glucose-powered bioelectronics - a reality," Sarpeshkar says. Although he has just begun working on bringing ultra-low-power and medical technology to market, he cautions that glucose-powered implantable medical devices are still many years away.

flickher

Old 06-13-2012, 03:04 PM   #1250
RockLee

My Ride: 99 328i. ZSP, ZPP,
Send a message via Yahoo to RockLee Send a message via Skype™ to RockLee

1999 328i Sport Package, Premium Package, 5 speed, Alpine white.
RockLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:16 AM   #1251
cowmoo32
drunken science

flickher

Old 06-15-2012, 08:41 AM   #1252
cowmoo32
drunken science

International team uncovers new genes that shape brain size, intelligence
http://newsroom.ucla.edu/portal/ucla...ew-231989.aspx

flickher

Old 06-17-2012, 07:50 AM   #1253
13//

My Ride: is immune to modbug
Send a message via MSN to 13//
Old 06-17-2012, 09:12 AM   #1254
etidd01

My Ride: is gone...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13// View Post
Someone needs to get that guy some Ritalin.
etidd01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 04:27 PM   #1255
cowmoo32
drunken science

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13// View Post
God I hate that guy. All of his videos are a bunch of quick cuts and buzzwords; he never actually explains anything. I appreciate what he's trying to do but hate the way he does it.

flickher

Old 06-18-2012, 09:53 AM   #1256
cowmoo32
drunken science

Using light to control the brain.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/s...-a-switch.html

This is just plain ridiculous
Quote:
Dr Boyden found that it was possible to use genetically engineered viruses to introduce these light sensitive algae molecules into mammalian brain cells, or neurons as they are also called.

The virus inserts a gene from the algae into the animal cells - giving them the instruction manual they need to produce the light sensitive molecules themselves - and within days the molecules begin to appear on the surface of the neurons.

When light hits these altered brain cells, they turn on or off, depending on the gene that has been inserted.

Cassini just sent this picture back a few days ago. It was 1.6million miles away from Saturn when it took the picture, that's ~6.7x the distance from the earth to the moon and it the rings still take up more than the entire frame.

flickher

Last edited by cowmoo32; 06-18-2012 at 10:25 AM.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:27 AM   #1257
cowmoo32
drunken science

flickher

Old 06-20-2012, 08:25 AM   #1258
Rif Raf

My Ride: 2001 330i w/ Sport
^ The Planets are too big to fit my monitor, can you make them smaller?

Such a bummer that we'll never get to see them, except as an artists rendering.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:27 PM   #1259
jeffro3000

My Ride: 2000 328i
More talk of the Higgs boson:

http://www.latimes.com/news/science/...tory?track=rss

Sent from my ADR6400L using Bimmer App
jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 02:44 PM   #1260
Master Po

My Ride: E46 no more
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rif Raf View Post
^ The Planets are too big to fit my monitor, can you make them smaller?

Such a bummer that we'll never get to see them, except as an artists rendering.
You call that artistic? Looks done by a 6 year old.
That's the biggest I've seen so far.
What if one (or all) of those dots aren't to scale?