E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-11-2012, 03:04 PM   #221
Tex323GripIsKey

My Ride: 2000 323i Green
It's been over half an hour... OP, you still alive? Or at least taken those D/S rotors to the track for real testing?? Give us a video!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetness View Post
I used to drive fast and cowboy around, but then I realized that I can't even afford bumping into someone, so now it's slow and classy, with occasional spurts of speed. Fanatics might pick on each other from time to time, but we are all one great big family that looks out for each other in the end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
I pull up to meets, lean to one side, shakin my finger at all da playahaterz. Then I get back into my car and flash mah beamz.
323i brakes & rotors
Tex323GripIsKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:22 PM   #222
boostedisbetter

My Ride: 2000 Integra
Quote:
your original response was "because JDM yo."

just for everyone's information. you sure do like to edit your posts, do you?
Yes, but the dancing troll man suits you MUCH better. Wouldn't it be better if everyone edited their posts? Would get rid of a lot of grammar police, no? I'm glad you un-ignored me though
Old 06-11-2012, 03:25 PM   #223
Mango
Grand Superpatriot Sport+

My Ride: M54B30
No. Didn't un-ignore you. I just clicked on "View post." Funny how you call me a troll when you keep bumping this post, calling people out to fight and meet up with you, publicly wishing physical violence and harm on other members, bragging about your lifestyle/girlfriends/etc.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:25 PM   #224
Tex323GripIsKey

dawwweee touching moment...

Quote:
I used to drive fast and cowboy around, but then I realized that I can't even afford bumping into someone, so now it's slow and classy, with occasional spurts of speed. Fanatics might pick on each other from time to time, but we are all one great big family that looks out for each other in the end.
Quote:
I pull up to meets, lean to one side, shakin my finger at all da playahaterz. Then I get back into my car and flash mah beamz.
323i brakes & rotors
Old 06-11-2012, 03:26 PM   #225
boostedisbetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex323GripIsKey View Post
OP, you still alive?
Or at least taken those D/S rotors to the track for real testing??
How is this an "Or" statement? lol

...and that's the thing, the OP isn't a F1/auto-x/rally driver. He's a DD that just needs brakes for daily use.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:30 PM   #226
boostedisbetter

Quote:
No. Didn't un-ignore you. I just clicked on "View post." Funny how you call me a troll when you keep bumping this post, calling people out to fight and meet up with you, publicly wishing physical violence and harm on other members, bragging about your lifestyle/girlfriends/etc.
Don't be jealous please. This was over with and I have said nothing to piss you off or get your feelings hurt. You made a troll comment and I posted a troll dancing, and don't tell me you weren't trolling, because we all know you made that comment just to get a reaction.

I'm not getting pulled into your games again for you to go crying to the mods, and in turn them give me another infraction, just drop it.

Last edited by boostedisbetter; 06-11-2012 at 03:32 PM.
boostedisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:34 PM   #227
aphhpa

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Send a message via AIM to aphhpa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex323GripIsKey View Post
It's been over half an hour... OP, you still alive? Or at least taken those D/S rotors to the track for real testing?? Give us a video!
I dont track my car. Its my DD and I rarely drive spiritually. If you want a video of me going from 25 to a slow stop at a stop sign in town, you need more things to do.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:35 PM   #228
aphhpa

My calipers are painted red because 1) yes they do indeed look better than rusty rotors. 2) they match my car well 3) To piss you (Mango) off since you care more about my car than your own.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:40 PM   #229
Redline

My Ride: ///M3 Vert
I buy my ceramic pads/blank rotors from advance auto parts, cheap, work better than OEM, and lifetime warranty so I never have to pay for brakes again, just bring in the old part, swap and install and I'm good to go. Great for track use...

Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:48 PM   #230
MercForHire

My Ride: 323Ci 5 Speed Black
Guys like mango would use any 'advantage' he has to discriminate, mock, and belittle others.
Like a bigger car engine, more expensive parts, better maintained, living in a richer state/country and etc.
Maybe as far as having a grand wizard account on Stormfront to he can hang out with his other foreign-hating friends.
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:49 PM   #231
Tex323GripIsKey

YOUR HONOR I CALL BADGERING TEH WITNESS

Quote:
Quote:
323i brakes & rotors
Old 06-13-2012, 09:24 AM   #232
aphhpa

I can't believe the guy arguing with me about eBay parts also said this;
Quote:
Daily driver? Want to save money?

Monroes. Quality replacements at Rockauto.com $30 for shocks, $70 for struts. (each) Bilsteins will punish your back and your wallet.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:28 AM   #233
Mango

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphhpa View Post
I can't believe the guy arguing with me about eBay parts also said this;
LOL.

Monroes have been/are the OEM for Mercedes-Benz shocks and struts, as well as other car makes. They've been producing shocks/struts4-5x longer than you have been living

Please stop trying. Also please stop bumping this god-awful thread.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 06-13-2012, 09:35 AM   #234
Mango

Directly from Monroe's website:

Global OE Leadership. Today & Tomorrow.

With a network of 14 advanced engineering centers on five continents, Tenneco is at the leading edge of technology for the original equipment market. Tenneco meets the needs of customers -- including Volkswagen, General Motors, Ford, Toyota, Chrysler, Daimler, BMW, PSA Peugeot Citroen, Nissan and Shanghai Automotive (SAIC) -- expertly tuning the ride of any vehicle to the most exacting specifications.

Embarrassed yet?

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 06-13-2012, 09:42 AM   #235
boostedisbetter

I went with brand new OE rotors and pads from a forum user. He's also throwing in SS brake lines and clutch line. I still think you won't have a problem with an exploding rotor
Old 06-13-2012, 09:47 AM   #236
boostedisbetter

Quote:
Directly from Monroe's website:

Global OE Leadership. Today & Tomorrow.

With a network of 14 advanced engineering centers on five continents, Tenneco is at the leading edge of technology for the original equipment market. Tenneco meets the needs of customers -- including Volkswagen, General Motors, Ford, Toyota, Chrysler, Daimler, BMW, PSA Peugeot Citroen, Nissan and Shanghai Automotive (SAIC) -- expertly tuning the ride of any vehicle to the most exacting specifications.

Embarrassed yet?
Old 06-13-2012, 09:48 AM   #237
Mango

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa02e46 View Post
I went with brand new OE rotors and pads from a forum user. He's also throwing in SS brake lines and clutch line. I still think you won't have a problem with an exploding rotor
Nobody ever said they would explode. However, without adhering to quality standards all the big makes do, we don't know for sure that they were built to standard and passed strict quality-control testing. And for that reason, it's not safe to gamble your braking system just to save a measely 68 cents.

In fact, if Callahan (Kamikaze Racing, Taiwan) offered to pay me $500 a month to use their rotors, I would absolutely decline. Any more than that, I might consider it, but would have to wear a helmet, have an EMT sitting next to me at all times, and have a roll-cage welded in.

I'd also have the speed governed at 35 mph.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 06-13-2012, 10:10 AM   #238
boostedisbetter

Quote:
Nobody ever said they would explode.
In fact, if Callahan (Kamikaze Racing, Taiwan) offered to pay me $500 a month to use their rotors, I would absolutely decline. Any more than that, I might consider it, but would have to wear a helmet, have an EMT sitting next to me at all times, and have a roll-cage welded in.
That's the only thing i'm arguing. For a rotor to actually fail enough for you to want to have a roll cage, helmet, etc., it would have to crack severely and/or explode.Either way, the caliper is still going to squeeze the rotor no matter the material quality.

So if you're saying it won't explode or crack upon compression, how would you explain how it is going to fail??

...Either way I got new OE rotors & pads so that should cool your jets a little, eh?

Last edited by boostedisbetter; 06-13-2012 at 10:13 AM.
boostedisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:19 AM   #239
Mango

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa02e46 View Post
That's the only thing i'm arguing. For a rotor to actually fail enough for you to want to have a roll cage, helmet, etc., it would have to crack severely and/or explode.Either way, the caliper is still going to squeeze the rotor no matter the material quality.

So if you're saying it won't explode or crack upon compression, how would you explain how it is going to fail??

...Either way I got new OE rotors & pads so that should cool your jets a little, eh?
The rotors or pads could overheat due to design/material defiencies. We all know that overheated pads and rotors do not stop. That's where a rollcage, helmet, and EMT would come in handy.

And good job on getting OE pads/rotors. Your car will give back what you put into it.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 06-13-2012, 10:31 AM   #240
boostedisbetter

Quote:
The rotors or pads could overheat due to design/material defiencies. We all know that overheated pads and rotors do not stop. That's where a rollcage, helmet, and EMT would come in handy.

And good job on getting OE pads/rotors. Your car will give back what you put into it.
Ok, I see your point... The truth is, you know what you put on your car. I personally couldn't bring myself to actually hit "buy it now" on those rotors. For me it's more the fact that I know that those are on my car, even if everyone that sees them and thinks they are nice-I know they are not.

Plus, getting the direct from BMW OE brand new rotors and pads + ss clutch and brake lines for $220 is damn fine deal!