E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2012, 07:55 AM   #21
radarcontact

My Ride: 2006 330CiC/ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
It was never added to the US because it is technically not legal as per the FMVSS.

It can be very easily enabled with autologic and similar tools - that must have happened at some point. It's purely a software modification, so it wouldn't leave any physical traces.
I'll give it to you just cause you sound like you know what you are talking about, but...
My car was leased new to some middle-aged lady in Boca Raton Florida, then sold to me.

Maybe the dealership did it as a selling tool, who knows.

Interesting, nonetheless.
radarcontact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:04 AM   #22
beeemerdude

My Ride: Cabrio. Stick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenocchio View Post
I relized today that unlocking my car and keep pressing the unlock button afterwards will roll windows down and open the top. Locking it will make the top roll up.
I thought that this option could only be activated by hacking the OBD, I am right?
COOL !

I just discovered that, too, after reading this post.

BUT...when I try the OPPOSITE,...by keep pressing the LOCK, nothing happens. So,...I just have a 1-way (top-down) feature I 'spose.

I have a Canadian (Vancouver) car, too.
beeemerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:53 AM   #23
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
try holding the key in the door in lock position, that will put the roof back up IIRC..... so stick the key in, turn it to lock, once you see the doors lock, hold it and wait
Old 06-14-2012, 02:02 AM   #24
cali3series

My Ride: 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenocchio View Post
I relized today that unlocking my car and keep pressing the unlock button afterwards will roll windows down and open the top. Locking it will make the top roll up.
I thought that this option could only be activated by hacking the OBD, I am right?
How and where can I get this done to my car. Anyone have a shop or friend? I'm in the SoCal San Diego area. Thanks
cali3series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:58 AM   #25
johnrando

My Ride: '06 330 CIC ZHP
I have a March '06 build. What comes with the car (no coding, etc) is this:
1) holding the fob to unlock will roll down the windows and open the top
2) to close the top/roll up windows, insert the key in to the key hole, turn and hold.
3) you can't hold the fob to close the top/roll up windows unless you've either (a) coded or (b) bought a module

There is a thread on a module that someone bought to do this, but it's not cheap. Coding is better. I think EAS in the O/C does coding, but I'm not sure if they do this particular one.

ZHP, Cold Weather Pkg., Leather, Jet Black/Black/Black Cube, NAV
AA Tune, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf. Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan STEP S/W & TB, TMS Pulleys, H&R Touring Cup Kit
DICE Ipod, Parrot/Connects2 Bluetooth, StealthOne Valentine Module, Hardwired V1
BMW Perf. Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan delete
johnrando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:21 PM   #26
cramer

My Ride: M3/M5/330cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrando View Post
I have a March '06 build. What comes with the car (no coding, etc) is this:
1) holding the fob to unlock will roll down the windows and open the top
2) to close the top/roll up windows, insert the key in to the key hole, turn and hold.
3) you can't hold the fob to close the top/roll up windows unless you've either (a) coded or (b) bought a module

There is a thread on a module that someone bought to do this, but it's not cheap. Coding is better. I think EAS in the O/C does coding, but I'm not sure if they do this particular one.
I bought this: http://www.xcar360.com/bmw-scanner-1...scan-tool.html

You can change settings just like PA Soft. I borrowed this pic from ac_2007's write up on the factory alarm. On the same screen you set lock/unlock functions:

You can set all the items you are talking about using the convenient settings for what opens and closes with either door lock, key fob, or both. I have it set so the top and windows are fully controlled by the key fob and doors.

cramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:05 AM   #27
Nickvjr

My Ride: 2004 330Ci Conv.
NCS Expert can do the same coding (and so much more) via the OBDII port. It takes some German-->English translation but once you get the hang of it; it works great.

Just this week I have added one touch open / close on all windows (regardless if door is open - closed and even a minute after the ignition is turned off) - requires window switch modification, remote opening / closing of convertible top, Euro hazards, follow me home lighting (fog lights and license plate light), auto-door lock at a higher speed (24km/h), removed the audio alert for seat belt warning and various other lighting mods.

There is so much more to learn and so little time. Good luck to all!

Last edited by Nickvjr; 06-15-2012 at 01:07 AM.
Nickvjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:42 AM   #28
Mr. Din

My Ride: e46 M
I was about to pay someone to get this function coded in, but I thought I would give it a try to see if my car could do the feature. To my suprise I can drop the top with remote. Tried to close the top but it would not do it. Saved me some money.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:53 AM   #29
Nickvjr

I have noticed that many Verts have the comfort opening of the convertible top activated but not the closing. The comfort opening feature in Verts is similar up the comfort opening in non-Verts; instead of opening the convertible top it opens the sunroof.

You can still get the closing feature coded to your Vert so you have the best of both worlds (and much more).

Take Care!
Old 06-25-2012, 12:38 AM   #30
Lair
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 330ciC
I tried it years ago, but it didn't work. Maybe the handbrake needed to be up.

I'll try it again tomorrow.

Quote:
Are you following him?

Yes.
Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:03 PM   #31
dknightd

My Ride: 2002 330 cic
This is the first thing I want to do to my new/used car 2002 330 cic.
Guess I better get a Scanner and PA Soft 1.4. That x360 place looks good.
Anybody tried running it on an XP virtual machine on an apple laptop?
dknightd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 03:01 AM   #32
Nickvjr

I run VM - XP in Vista and got just about everything to work well. Good luck trying it on the Apple; if it works it will make for one solid BMW diagnostics machine.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:33 AM   #33
dpower2012

My Ride: 05 BMW 325CiC
FWIW, I tried this on my 2005 325Ci and it opened with a double click - hold unlock, but would not close with the key unless I inserted and hold lock on the door handle.

Also I noticed all of the windows went up except the drivers side. It went up partially (maybe 3-4 inches), then back down. Every other window went up fully. Is this a feature or is there something screwy going on?

Last edited by dpower2012; 07-17-2012 at 10:34 AM.
dpower2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:48 PM   #34
cramer

My Ride: M3/M5/330cic
Make sure you have locking with remote control selected. Your top should close with the remote. As for your window not going all the way up, that is not a feature so are you having closing/opening issues at other times with it?

cramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:56 PM   #35
MyNewRag

My Ride: 05 ///M Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by cramer View Post
I bought this: http://www.xcar360.com/bmw-scanner-1...scan-tool.html

You can change settings just like PA Soft. I borrowed this pic from ac_2007's write up on the factory alarm. On the same screen you set lock/unlock functions:

You can set all the items you are talking about using the convenient settings for what opens and closes with either door lock, key fob, or both. I have it set so the top and windows are fully controlled by the key fob and doors.
Got mine in the mail yesterday. Took about a week to get it.
Went out and played with the programming tonight and got it working. This is nice, very inexpensive for what you get. Code reader and all the programming that you would pay a dealer for.

Took a little while to learn the navigation and find things, but all in all..

thanks everyone for the input on here...
Old 07-24-2012, 12:29 PM   #36
Ayjayd

My Ride: 07 318Ci SE Conv.
Mine also does this, is it a standard feature that not many people are aware of ?
Ayjayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:18 PM   #37
dknightd

Quote:
Originally Posted by radduu View Post
You will finish the battery by doing that.
Which battery are you concerned about. The car battery or the remote battery?
Old 07-24-2012, 04:43 PM   #38
dknightd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayjayd View Post
Mine also does this, is it a standard feature that not many people are aware of ?
My understanding is it is possible in all e46 verts. What you get probably depends on how the car was configured on the original sale configuration. Might be wrong. It might also depend on when your car was built, and what the default was at the time was for you country. Apparently there are many thing the dealer can set for you. A good dealer would probably take you through them one by one at delivery. (I can't believe all dealers are using German language tools - there must be an english language version). Some (all?) can also be set by aftermarket tools.
My top does not go up or down remotely (USA 2002 330 cic) but I'm going to try and fix that (goes up and down using key in door, so I assume the computer will let me do it with remote if I tell it to)
Old 07-25-2012, 10:49 PM   #39
Nickvjr

My '04 330Ci didn't do the remote top up but it did do the down when I first got it. Now with the help of coding software I am able to activate remote up as well as all windows up, various lighting options and even memory settings for each key. Definitely worth the time & effort (or $)!
Old 07-26-2012, 03:30 AM   #40
Suseer

My Ride: Cayman S
Mine doesent work, even after enabling it with NCS Expert. Mid year 2001 build date. :-(
Suseer is offline   Reply With Quote