E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-15-2011, 08:47 AM   #1
s0ber13

My Ride: 330ci
Arrow To those who did the CCV Delete/Catch Can install?

Do you now have vacuum in the crankcase? I removed my CCV, plugged the oil return line and installed a air/water separator to catch the oil w/ a in-line PCV valve.

Now there is vacuum in the crankcase, enough vacuum that removing the oil cap becomes difficult and makes a loud depressurizing noise.

Did this happen to everyone? IDK if its normal or not..

Last edited by s0ber13; 07-15-2011 at 09:04 AM.
s0ber13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:50 AM   #2
hoveringuy

My Ride: e30
Interesting.

I'm pretty sure the crankcase has vacuum plumbed to it, unless you removed that, too.

Why did you remove the CCV?

How well does it work?
hoveringuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 01:26 PM   #3
s0ber13

Ccv was leaking and making a mess.. Much cheaper to replace with a home made catch can from lowes..

Working fine so far its catching oil and car is working perfectly fine.

Ill post a video of the suction I'm talking about soon.

Sent from my PG86100 using Bimmer App
Old 07-18-2011, 11:29 PM   #4
s0ber13

You can hear the suction from the cap in the video.. That normal?

Old 07-19-2011, 08:33 AM   #5
s0ber13

Bump!

Old 07-21-2011, 07:26 AM   #6
Dan330Ci~

My Ride: 330Ci Clubsport
You shouldn't have any more vacuum on the crankcase than pre-CCV removal. I would guess that the PCV valve you have put in-line is not suitable.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:28 PM   #7
s0ber13

I believe the CCV was bad, so I am not sure what it is supposed to be.. But I'm also betting that there isn't supposed to be THAT much vacuum in the crankcase to cause that kind of depressurization removing the oil cap.

I might install an inline ball valve to control the vacuum. Not sure how to choose a PCV valve since they don't have specifications on them...
Old 07-21-2011, 01:50 PM   #8
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
It seems odd that the crank case would be experiencing a vacuum. Typically the crank case is under positive pressure from cylinder blow-by. You sure you've got vacuum? How exactly is everything connected (do you have a drawing)?
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 02:03 PM   #9
s0ber13

It is connected exactly like that with an inline PCV valve. Yeah its definitely vacuum, the oil cap gets stuck until it depressurizes.. (see the video)

I would assume that anyone that's done a catch can setup like above(fairly common) would be experiencing the same type of vacuum in the crankcase..

Last edited by s0ber13; 07-21-2011 at 02:04 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:19 PM   #10
mrshelley

My Ride: 2004 330i
Try this. Plug everything except for the hose coming off of the valve cover. Every team I ran against with a 330 removed 100% of the CCV and then ran a hose from the valve cover to a catch can. Pretty much like anything from the 1960's and older. As for me, I just kept it stock and never ran a catch can.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:11 PM   #11
samisims

My Ride: e46 325ci
I've just install a catch can with an in-line pcv valve and it's doing the same thing as your... Is that normal ?! I don't want to blow up my engine !!!
samisims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 02:21 AM   #12
LoveBeingUseless

My Ride: 2003 325i Sedan
BMW's don't have positive crankcase ventilation, they have negative crankcase ventilation. By removing the oil cap you are actually creating a huge vacuum leak. Normally you won't have much vacuum in te crankcase at idle, it's a great way to check your crankcase vent valve. By lightly removing your oil cap you can feel how hard te vacuum pulls, when the valve is blown, you can barely get the cap off. What I'm getting at is that you Didnt bypassed your crankcase vent system in the best way. The engine is pulling air out of the crankcase way hard and is not a healthy state for it. A lot more oil/vapor is being sent to your catch can set up then needs to be.

For more updates, Follow me on Instagram! @LoveBeingUseless

Last edited by LoveBeingUseless; 06-17-2012 at 02:23 AM.
LoveBeingUseless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 04:13 AM   #13
Dan330Ci~

My Ride: 330Ci Clubsport
The problem is you have piped the return after the throttle body, this means you have unregulated vacuum on the crankcase (the function of the CCV is to control vacuum as well as seperate the oil vapours). You need to pipe the return in before the throttle body but after the air filter (i.e. like an E39 M5). Alternatively use a breather tank and do not return the vapours to the intake.

Tags
catch can, ccv, oil, pcv