E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-19-2012, 01:09 PM   #1
RossGuy
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 233
My Ride: FBM
Death Race / Worlds Toughest Mudder

Just Signed up for the 2013 event. Anyone know someone who's done it?

www.youmaydie.com

About


There are millions of running races, thousands of marathons, hundreds of triathlons and dozens of ultramarathons but there is only one Sparan Death Race. Held annually since 2005 in the small town of Pittsfield, VT, the Spartan Death Race gives up to 200 ultra-endurance athletes the chance to test their mental and physical prowess like no other event on earth. On average only 15% of the competitors finish the event. Remarkable when you consider the competitors are among the toughest and most seasoned endurance athletes on earth. The hurdle and challenge-driven race requires competitors to complete a series of (15-20) grueling mental and physical challenges throughout a 40-mile course that runs through the Vermont woods. During the Death Race, competitors may be asked to chop wood for 2-hours, carry a 20-lb stump around for hours, lift 10-30 lbs rocks for 5-hours; build a fire, cut a bushel of onions, crawl through mud under barbed wire, or after 20-hours of racing, memorize the names of the first 10 U.S. Presidents or a Bible verse, hike to the top of a mountain and recite them back in order.

Unlike other endurance races that offer a detailed map, Death Racers have no idea what to expect next as the course map and list of challenges are kept secret. This provides competitors with one of their biggest challenges as the length of the race can range from 24-48 hours. For an endurance athlete, not knowing where the light is at the end of the tunnel can be sheer torture.

For a taste of the Death Race, aspiring endurance athletes are encouraged to test their mettle at the Spartan Race Series. The 30-event series, developed by the creators of the Death Race, offers competitors three different obstacle race courses including: the Spartan Sprint (5K), Super Spartan (8 miles) and Spartan Beats (10+ miles). For a complete schedule visit www.spartanrace.com. For more information on the Death Race, visit www.YouMayDie.com or www.Facebook.com/spartanrace
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Shut up and drink your snow from your plastic cup you hungry homeless homosexual.
RossGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:14 PM   #2
NOVAbimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 12,641
My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Search for the Best Sapper competition. Sounds similar to that.
__________________
NOVAbimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:16 PM   #3
217Bimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Vermont
Posts: 146
My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
have you ever done an endurance race of any kind in your life? marathon, 50k, 50mi, 100k, 100mi?
__________________
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:20 PM   #4
coco savage
Registered User
 
coco savage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: CFBMW.org
Posts: 1,361
My Ride: 325i
Wow i know one guy won 2 years running.

everyone should check out death race videos....crazy stuff!
__________________
**LINK:BUY MY E46 Parts**

Random Images


Quote:
Originally Posted by Black107 View Post
he's just the resident off-topic ball breaker. Dont take it personally.
coco savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:22 PM   #5
xxcosmicxx
The OG Black Roof
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Northeast
Posts: 2,919
My Ride: Long Gone
I'll stick to golf.
__________________
xxcosmicxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:44 PM   #6
RossGuy
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 233
My Ride: FBM
I've done a marathon, few halfs, and doing my 5th Tough Mudder in September. I have alot of training to do to get where I want to be at. I just want to see where my breaking point really is.... I have health insurance so who gives a f@ck!
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Shut up and drink your snow from your plastic cup you hungry homeless homosexual.
RossGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:45 PM   #7
NOVAbimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 12,641
My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
check out the Bataan Memorial Death March
__________________
NOVAbimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:49 PM   #8
old195
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 14
My Ride: 2005 M3.
tuff mudder > spartan race:

http://www.natechurch.com/nc/post/Sp...gh-Mudder.aspx
old195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:21 PM   #9
CoconutPete
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North CT & Denmark.
Posts: 2,479
My Ride: E90 330i
I signed up for the Rugged Maniac - I think that's about all I'm up for this year.
__________________
----------
The word "there" can appear as a pronoun, as in “over there."

"Their" is a possessive pronoun. In a phrase like “Susan and Bill's car,” it could be used to to make a new phrase: “their car.”

”They're” is a contraction of “they are.” “They are” should always be able to replace “they're.”
-----------
Extra Credit: It's "I'm looking for an M3"
not "I'm looking for a M3".
-----------
CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:41 PM   #10
RossGuy
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 233
My Ride: FBM
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Shut up and drink your snow from your plastic cup you hungry homeless homosexual.
RossGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:44 PM   #11
sick.boy1986
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Tacoma, Washington
Posts: 641
My Ride: ///M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
Search for the Best Sapper competition. Sounds similar to that.
Are you a sapper?
__________________
E46 M3
FZJ80
sick.boy1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:45 PM   #12
NOVAbimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 12,641
My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by sick.boy1986 View Post
Are you a sapper?
no, didn't get the chance to go to school

but I've been around for the end of two competitions.
__________________
NOVAbimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:47 PM   #13
sick.boy1986
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Tacoma, Washington
Posts: 641
My Ride: ///M3
Oh Okay. I've met a few guys that have been to the school.
__________________
E46 M3
FZJ80
sick.boy1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:00 PM   #14
coco savage
Registered User
 
coco savage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: CFBMW.org
Posts: 1,361
My Ride: 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by old195 View Post
comparing tough mudder to regular spartan race ( ie NOT the death race)

do you even know what the death race is?!
__________________
**LINK:BUY MY E46 Parts**

Random Images


Quote:
Originally Posted by Black107 View Post
he's just the resident off-topic ball breaker. Dont take it personally.
coco savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:50 PM   #15
greydart
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Indiana
Posts: 273
My Ride: E90 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by RossGuy View Post
Just Signed up for the 2013 event. Anyone know someone who's done it?

www.youmaydie.com

About


There are millions of running races, thousands of marathons, hundreds of triathlons and dozens of ultramarathons but there is only one Sparan Death Race. Held annually since 2005 in the small town of Pittsfield, VT, the Spartan Death Race gives up to 200 ultra-endurance athletes the chance to test their mental and physical prowess like no other event on earth. On average only 15% of the competitors finish the event. Remarkable when you consider the competitors are among the toughest and most seasoned endurance athletes on earth. The hurdle and challenge-driven race requires competitors to complete a series of (15-20) grueling mental and physical challenges throughout a 40-mile course that runs through the Vermont woods. During the Death Race, competitors may be asked to chop wood for 2-hours, carry a 20-lb stump around for hours, lift 10-30 lbs rocks for 5-hours; build a fire, cut a bushel of onions, crawl through mud under barbed wire, or after 20-hours of racing, memorize the names of the first 10 U.S. Presidents or a Bible verse, hike to the top of a mountain and recite them back in order.

Unlike other endurance races that offer a detailed map, Death Racers have no idea what to expect next as the course map and list of challenges are kept secret. This provides competitors with one of their biggest challenges as the length of the race can range from 24-48 hours. For an endurance athlete, not knowing where the light is at the end of the tunnel can be sheer torture.

For a taste of the Death Race, aspiring endurance athletes are encouraged to test their mettle at the Spartan Race Series. The 30-event series, developed by the creators of the Death Race, offers competitors three different obstacle race courses including: the Spartan Sprint (5K), Super Spartan (8 miles) and Spartan Beats (10+ miles). For a complete schedule visit www.spartanrace.com. For more information on the Death Race, visit www.YouMayDie.com or www.Facebook.com/spartanrace
Mad props to you, man. I hope you do well. If you haven't already, you'd be wise to watch Hobi Call's video on YouTube. It runs just over 50 min and is worth it's weight in gold. I was seriously thinking about doing this after watching some of the 13-15min videos outlining what happens. I lost a little interest after watching him go through the grind (a very small %.) It's simply pure hell, especially mentally.

I too would love to know how well I could do. I'm just not sure I'll ever pull the trigger. I've got respect for anyone willing to step up and commit.
__________________
greydart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:03 PM   #16
coco savage
Registered User
 
coco savage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: CFBMW.org
Posts: 1,361
My Ride: 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by greydart View Post
Mad props to you, man. I hope you do well. If you haven't already, you'd be wise to watch Hobi Call's video on YouTube. It runs just over 50 min and is worth it's weight in gold. I was seriously thinking about doing this after watching some of the 13-15min videos outlining what happens. I lost a little interest after watching him go through the grind (a very small %.) It's simply pure hell, especially mentally.

I too would love to know how well I could do. I'm just not sure I'll ever pull the trigger. I've got respect for anyone willing to step up and commit.
__________________
**LINK:BUY MY E46 Parts**

Random Images


Quote:
Originally Posted by Black107 View Post
he's just the resident off-topic ball breaker. Dont take it personally.
coco savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:10 AM   #17
RossGuy
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 233
My Ride: FBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coco savage View Post
Thanks, I'll have to check out the whole vid in a bit. I'm not expecting this to be fun but I think it's time to join the big boys club of endurance and challenge racing and see how it pans out. I wouldnt of considered it if it was this year, this way I have a full year to get ready. So is anyone from around Chicago thinking of signing up so I can train with someone?
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Shut up and drink your snow from your plastic cup you hungry homeless homosexual.
RossGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:32 AM   #18
coco savage
Registered User
 
coco savage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: CFBMW.org
Posts: 1,361
My Ride: 325i
Rossguy, check out more videos by him...has a few training videos that give you an idea of what he does to train.
__________________
**LINK:BUY MY E46 Parts**

Random Images


Quote:
Originally Posted by Black107 View Post
he's just the resident off-topic ball breaker. Dont take it personally.
coco savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:27 AM   #19
greydart
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Indiana
Posts: 273
My Ride: E90 330i
Based on what I can see, the best training would be to get comfortable being wet, cold, hungry, frustrated, and sleep deprived.

I'd plan to stay up for a day and half when rain is forecasted. I'd probably shovel dirt from one pile to another then back again, chop a lot of firewood in the rain, take a long walk in a woods at night and wander local creek beds for hours. I'd try to eat as little as possible. When I was ready to quit I'd probably force myself to sit in the rain and do a crossword puzzle with a pencil that has a broken tip.

The closer you can get to being comfortable with complete demoralization the better off you'll be when you're in VT.
__________________
greydart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:42 AM   #20
coco savage
Registered User
 
coco savage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: CFBMW.org
Posts: 1,361
My Ride: 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by greydart View Post
Based on what I can see, the best training would be to get comfortable being wet, cold, hungry, frustrated, and sleep deprived.

I'd plan to stay up for a day and half when rain is forecasted. I'd probably shovel dirt from one pile to another then back again, chop a lot of firewood in the rain, take a long walk in a woods at night and wander local creek beds for hours. I'd try to eat as little as possible. When I was ready to quit I'd probably force myself to sit in the rain and do a crossword puzzle with a pencil that has a broken tip.

The closer you can get to being comfortable with complete demoralization the better off you'll be when you're in VT.
i'd say wouldnt you rather follow the advice/training of someone who has done it? lol
__________________
**LINK:BUY MY E46 Parts**

Random Images


Quote:
Originally Posted by Black107 View Post
he's just the resident off-topic ball breaker. Dont take it personally.
coco savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use