E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-18-2012, 11:58 PM   #21
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
let me put it another way if you're getting tired of the same advice being echoed by everyone.
you have to be rich to do this properly and want to indulge yourself. any other circumstance and you're making a mistake. I bet you're not rich.
if you do this, you'll end up with an appearance that will make you regret it.
some people do have a need to repaint their car, but they are always cautioned not to change the color. imagine how much you'd have to strip off to paint all the door sills, trunk insides, engine compartment, etc. If you don't, you'll have a laughing stock.

I don't like that color either, but I'd keep it if it were my car.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:22 AM   #22
trive2

My Ride: 1989 BMW 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
let me put it another way if you're getting tired of the same advice being echoed by everyone.
you have to be rich to do this properly and want to indulge yourself. any other circumstance and you're making a mistake. I bet you're not rich.
if you do this, you'll end up with an appearance that will make you regret it.
some people do have a need to repaint their car, but they are always cautioned not to change the color. imagine how much you'd have to strip off to paint all the door sills, trunk insides, engine compartment, etc. If you don't, you'll have a laughing stock.

I don't like that color either, but I'd keep it if it were my car.

I meant to come across that way, thanks!

People do respray their cars in different colours and do a great job of it BUT they have a lot more money than you or I.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:34 AM   #23
vorceb23

My Ride: 04 330i
yeah but I still had to pay for it

its manual, with grey interior
vorceb23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:50 AM   #24
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by trive2 View Post
Don't forget mate, no matter how expensive the paint job is, (1.)it will never hold up with the same quality and durability as the original. (2.)It also won't look as good. There is nearly no way to match an original paint job because we can't match the process they used. (3.)It's also the single most expensive thing you can do to a car. For your own sake please don't paint it, there are SO many more things to spend money on with these cars. Even at that mileage, it still needs a number of maintenance items due to the age.
1. False - a paint job from a skilled painter with good materials can and will last as long, if not longer than, a factory paint job.
2. False - a paint job from a skilled painter can look as good as, if not better than, a factory paint job. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
3. False - there are many things you can do to your car that are far more expensive than a paint job. An HPF stage 3 S54 engine swap, for example.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:31 AM   #25
AquaRelliux

My Ride: 330ci 03 M-sport
OP the most funny thing is that steel blue is like a combination of the colors u want, silver and blue. I dident like steel blue at first either but now it ha grew on me and I actually like it alot, just mod your car with a m-tec bumper rear and front it live it with. That is less expensive than a full respray and it will look 10 times better
AquaRelliux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:21 AM   #26
vorceb23

My Ride: 04 330i
alright I'm leaving it- mods should i look at first? I definitely like the m-tech bumpers, angel eyes, new wheels....what else?
vorceb23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:27 AM   #27
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
first mods? a cooling system overhaul. Followed by an inspection of the valve cover gasket and subframe
Old 06-19-2012, 09:52 AM   #28
Stinger9

check your control arm bushings and consider replacing your vanos seals.
How do your brake pads look?
Old 06-19-2012, 10:55 AM   #29
Gus330vrum

My Ride: 330ci
OP,Listen to NovaBimmer and stinger9.

mango is expert on cooling system overhaul ...

Cooling system overhaul 1st.
Control arm bushing.
Rear trailing arm bushing
Rear spring always brake at 50k
Change vaccum lines coming from 2nd air pump to the back of manifold.
Oil filter housing gasket
Clean Disa - throttle body- carb cleaner.
Get NGK PLATINUM SPARK PLUG ($8 each)
New ignition coils
100k the oxygen sensor are gone.
Pentosin at oreilly for manual tyranny flush and red line fluid for rear/front differential.

Then you start to do mods and have trouble free car.

Honestly I can go on and on!!

Warning! Maintenance 1st are the Bmw will leave you in the road and drive you crazy with check engine light as this cars full of sensors all over the place.

Sent from my ZTE-X500
Gus330vrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:15 AM   #30
Dirty Mike

My Ride: Fern Green 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Only color that would work, I'm afraid, is Fern Green Metallic. Something about the chemical make up of the Metallic Steel Blue that only allows Fern Green Metallic on top. Forget where I read that, but it was on Fanatics, so must be true(ish).

Do not paint it. You'd be devaluing it.

Only thing I can say is that you'll grow out of thinking you have an ugly color. When I got mine, color was the last thing on my mind (obviously!). Now, 6 years later, it's beginning to grow on me--mostly because it's different and excellent camouflage--no one wants to steal an ugly colored bmw!

Oh, also, drink heavily and don't look at the car so much...pay attention to the road. Also, pick driving attire that complements your color. Again, something like a Fern Green driving suit would be perfect.
Lol. FG OG
Dirty Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:31 AM   #31
johnny528

My Ride: 2002 325Xi
I personally love that color. You dont see that color very often.
johnny528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:41 PM   #32
Roby G

My Ride: 2005 325 Ci
Damm Lucky Dude ! You now possess a 36K miles, Garage Queen !
frick a e46 fanatics dream
2004 BMW 325i Steel Blue, 5 speed MT, Grey Interior

before you start throwin any kind of big money into it; parts overhaul ! - when the last time its had the Maintenance Inspections done M1/M2 - Im sure being family your privy to it records. Change it sparks, air filter and fluids; oil, coolant, tranny brakes etc - you should know

use the DiYs here
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=320965

it looks good now, keep it close to stock - new summer performance tires, new sport dampers, new wheels - keep your budgets tight $1500 < Hankooks on a 17/18" Bremmer Kraft and set of Bilsteins; for example - you can easily throw big money $3K into adjustable coilovers and best tires and wheels then hate the appearance and ride quality; been there done this - none of us have big $$$$ money to TEST and ReTest all the tires and suspensions available

mods-goin further front rear M-Tech II bumpers
HR club sport springs dampers to lower it a bit and ride better
keep it resalable for later on

Last edited by Roby G; 06-19-2012 at 02:52 PM.
Roby G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:10 AM   #33
ApolloTheGod

My Ride: E92, E46, E36, Caddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roller619 View Post
Are you still breastfeeding Bro?
seriously whose parents control them to the point where you cant buy a car out of family? Wahahahha!
ApolloTheGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:22 AM   #34
serano99

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323ci
If you really want to change your car color, why not just have it wrapped? Yiu're loking at around 1800$ for a good wrap done.
serano99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:41 AM   #35
Lionelski

My Ride: 325CIc
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlatexxx View Post
Cooling system overhaul 1st.
Control arm bushing.
Rear trailing arm bushing
Rear spring always brake at 50k
Change vaccum lines coming from 2nd air pump to the back of manifold.
Oil filter housing gasket
Clean Disa - throttle body- carb cleaner.
Get NGK PLATINUM SPARK PLUG ($8 each)
New ignition coils
100k the oxygen sensor are gone.
Pentosin at oreilly for manual tyranny flush and red line fluid for rear/front differential.Sent from my ZTE-X500

Doesn't this list seem real drastic for a car with only 35,000 miles?
At this point, if the car was maintained and is running well, I'd do and oil change (if not done in the last 3-5,000 miles) and and check the air filter. Then I'd make sure that the sub-frame was checked.

As the car was bought from the OP's uncle I'd ask him for his maintenance records.

I agree to leave the color alone, it ain't bad, and it will grow on the OP.
By the way, a good claying and wax will make it shine like a milliion bucks - OP is sure to like it then.

Just my humble opinion.

Sport Package, Premium Package
Racing Dynamics Strut Tower Brace
Conforti Shark Injector, Conforti CAI
Interior: Leather, Euro Tray, M3 Dead Pedal
Lionelski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:44 AM   #36
Lionelski

My Ride: 325CIc
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloTheGod View Post
seriously whose parents control them to the point where you cant buy a car out of family? Wahahahha!
I think that his parents made the right decision for him with this car.
BMW E46, low milage, history known

Sport Package, Premium Package
Racing Dynamics Strut Tower Brace
Conforti Shark Injector, Conforti CAI
Interior: Leather, Euro Tray, M3 Dead Pedal
Lionelski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:13 AM   #37
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Waste of money. Would be cheaper to sell your car and buy another E46 in a color you like more.

Either that or consider wrapping it with vinyl (maybe around 2k worth of work). Painting, and doing it right, will run you at least 5k.

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:23 PM   #38
trive2

My Ride: 1989 BMW 535i
Well NOVAbimmer, you can always have the car entirely stripped back to a bare metal chassis and re-create the original spraying process... If done right it will turn out better than original and cost thirty grand or so. I guess this is up to interpretation though, my best mate owned a panel shop for 25 years and honestly believes in what I said, plus has showed it to me and explained the reasons. If I went to another person he might agree with you, vice versa.
And fair point about the expense, but a "stage 3" engine rebuild isn't exactly in the same league as what (in my mind) I was comparing it with...

What you CAN do is fix the grey interior That's not too expensive!

As to maintenance, you have a different list to us. I doubt the bushings are that bad? They wear from a combination of mileage and age, more so mileage, so they should all still be right. I have 90,000 miles on my 8yr old 330i and all the rear bushings are still in top condition... Front's not so much.

The only things you should really change are the perishables in the cooling system and probably your rubbers/plastics around the intake manifold.

Can anyone else add to this?
Old 06-20-2012, 08:45 PM   #39
Gus330vrum

My Ride: 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionelski View Post
Doesn't this list seem real drastic for a car with only 35,000 miles?
At this point, if the car was maintained and is running well, I'd do and oil change (if not done in the last 3-5,000 miles) and and check the air filter. Then I'd make sure that the sub-frame was checked.

As the car was bought from the OP's uncle I'd ask him for his maintenance records.

I agree to leave the color alone, it ain't bad, and it will grow on the OP.
By the way, a good claying and wax will make it shine like a milliion bucks - OP is sure to like it then.

Just my humble opinion.
I only made the list so he has half of the knowledge & idea of how much work 60k+ will require on a free of problems 100k plus car that ia if he plans to keep it that long .

Use only dealer OIL, which will only cost couple dollars extra & dealer genuine oil filter which has been proven to be better then oem Mann on quality built.

BLUE BMW COOLANT ONLY!!!

Sent from my ZTE-X500
Gus330vrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:01 PM   #40
Stinger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlatexxx View Post

BLUE BMW COOLANT ONLY!!!

Sent from my ZTE-X500
Prestone 'any engine' yellow coolant is fine. High quality with five year 150,000 mile lifetime and no phosphates. Did the research and it's all good.
I test mine on a regular basis for freezing point and pH. Perfect so far after two years.

Tags
325i, job, paint