E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.67 average. Display Modes
Old 05-24-2012, 01:34 PM   #121
Nervous

My Ride: 01 330CI 6MT ZSP EU3
Thanks, Titanium, that's what I thought! So, another infamous 'no start' issue is here.... Will check for spark tonight, will try to use the starting fluid too. If crank position sensor is bad - does it throw any codes, btw?
Nervous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:44 PM   #122
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nervous View Post
Thanks, Titanium, that's what I thought! So, another infamous 'no start' issue is here.... Will check for spark tonight, will try to use the starting fluid too. If crank position sensor is bad - does it throw any codes, btw?
Have not experienced that failure but I suspect it would throw codes, everything else does! My intake cam position sensor failed intermittently and threw a code the first time it happened.

Take a quick scan of the ECU housing and make sure all wires that are supposed to be plugged in are. Look through the ECU fuses panel(s) to make sure they're all working, and then look through your glove box fuse panel and make sure that all those fuses are working.

The fuel rail is pressurized and fuel circulates through the rail. This should eliminate an air-lock so unless the fuel pump is not working the injectors should be capable of delivering fuel.

/// MODS
/// Auto => 6-Spd Manual Conversion | Apex EC-7 | Koni/Ground Control Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | Meyle HD LCA | PowerFlex bushings | GruppeM CAI | Shark Injector | 6000k HID's and Fogs | BMW European MTechII | BMW Performance Shifter | ACS Mirrors and Rear Spoiler ///
TitaniumCranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:23 AM   #123
Nervous

It started finally! Not sure what was it. Maybe I just didn't crank long enough. I checked all fuses (including the 'Kalim's fuse'). I read codes by PASoft, INPA and DIS. I checked the pump by activating it by DIS. Finally, I checked for a spark by removing one of the coil, attaching an old spark plug and cranking (my wife cranked). Everything was fine. And when I was ready to give up for today I decided to do one last try. I cranked for 30 seconds if not more and the reason why I hold it that long is because it sounded like it very close to start, I depressed the accel pedal completely, and finally - tada! That was loud! (I don't have exhaust attached yet; well, as well as driveshaft )
So, I've reached intermediate peace of mind. Next - finalize clutch bleeding, finish mounting the tranny, driveshaft, etc. Coding too, but probably I'll do it as the last thing.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:17 PM   #124
Nervous

Some updates. Didn't have much time to work on the car but still.
First of all, I've tried to change SA in KOMBI, using Progman V32. Success, dash board doesn't have the tranny warning anymore. Still need to recode other modules and reflash DME, don't expect any difficulties here.

Finished with bleeding clutch, I bought "Motive Power Brake Bleeder 0109 - European Black Label" for $68 from LPIracing.com, worked like a charm!

I also finished mounting tranny and installed driveshaft:

Actually, I am pretty close to finish now. Next in my todo list is to connect X428 with pin 7 of X11176 to finish with all wiring. I already have removed the dash and found the right connector in X428, already have ordered a contact (I ordered 61131387142 for $0.20; the 61131387140 is $1.70 and available only in 10pcs package). Then I'll install heat insulation and exhaust and will be ready for a test drive.

Last edited by Nervous; 06-18-2012 at 10:56 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:07 PM   #125
Nervous

Update. Finished wiring for mirror dip on reverse. The contact for the X428 is 61131387142. Just $0.20. It fits perfectly, you don't need more expensive one - the 61131387140. For the KOMBI side (pin 7 of X11176) I used a contact I cut off from the EGS (TCU). I removed the glove box and routed a wire by this way:

Here is the X428 side where I inserted my new wire in (see the green one):

Mirror dips perfectly now!

I also played a bit with coding and I've recoded DSC, LSZ, GKE and EWS. So, no warning lights on the dash anymore. However, PASoft still says that my EWS is "Automatic" even though there is no option 205 in ZCS anymore. The weird thing is - if I manually change EWS's gearbox type to Manual (via PASoft) then it starts to ignore the clutch switch and I can start the engine without depressing the clutch pedal.... Anyway, I am going to do full recode with DME reflash and then I'll see.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:36 PM   #126
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

Quote:
I also played a bit with coding and I've recoded DSC, LSZ, GKE and EWS. So, no warning lights on the dash anymore. However, PASoft still says that my EWS is "Automatic" even though there is no option 205 in ZCS anymore. The weird thing is - if I manually change EWS's gearbox type to Manual (via PASoft) then it starts to ignore the clutch switch and I can start the engine without depressing the clutch pedal.... Anyway, I am going to do full recode with DME reflash and then I'll see.
In Progman and DIS there is an option to align the EWS with the DME. You need to reprogram the DME first, and then follow it up with align/re-align the EWS with the DME.

Done in this manner depressing the clutch should be required to start the car, and when the clutch is depressed the cruise control should disable and the throttle attenuated to stop a potential over-rev condition.

/// MODS
/// Auto => 6-Spd Manual Conversion | Apex EC-7 | Koni/Ground Control Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | Meyle HD LCA | PowerFlex bushings | GruppeM CAI | Shark Injector | 6000k HID's and Fogs | BMW European MTechII | BMW Performance Shifter | ACS Mirrors and Rear Spoiler ///
Old 06-19-2012, 12:33 AM   #127
Nervous

Thanks, will do this asap and will report here.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:48 AM   #128
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
I think the EWS is supposed to be identified as automatic. If you look at the EWS module in NCS Expert, the line that controls the clutch switch is the same line that controls the park/neutral interlock. PASoft detects that as an automatic configuration, because PASoft is primarily a european tool, and in Europe, only autos have that particular line enabled. In the US, all cars have that line.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:25 AM   #129
Nervous

Ha. That makes sense now, since in PASoft it says "Automatic / clutch switch" or something like that. Good to know, thanks Terra!
Old 06-21-2012, 12:47 AM   #130
Nervous

Hmmm.... Just have finished complete recoding and DME reflash by Progman (btw, to make Progman reflash DME it is necessary to install "SSS Full Start.iso" instead of changes.iso/changes_v2.iso, just FYI). Everything went well, but. But I still have error 217 Can timeout EGS1... (EGS is out of the car). And cruise doesn't work (assuming the problem is in this error). So, DME still doesn't think it is Manual, right? No warning lights on dash, btw. An interesting fact - when I used WinKFP flashing took good 20-30 minutes. Progman did everything in 2-4 minutes (?) Number of possible reflashes was decremented, Progman reported success. After that I disconnected battery hoping the error will go away, but no. What am I doing wrong?
Old 06-21-2012, 01:19 AM   #131
Nervous

Actually, I just tried to reflash it with WinKFP (w/o writing UIF to save attempts) and I still get the same error and no cruise control. Errr....
This is what I have:

My SA:

Any ideas?
Old 06-21-2012, 11:24 AM   #132
TerraPhantm

That's one aspect that's always confused me - I always figured the DME just knew based on what's plugged in. But apparently that's not the case.

Have you recoded all of the other modules? And is the new SA written on both the EWS and KMB modules?
Old 06-21-2012, 12:45 PM   #133
Nervous

Yep. All modules were recoded before flashing DME. I'll check with NCS Expert today that SA is correct in EWS (it is correct in KOMBI for sure, see the screenshot above). I also did DME-EWS alignment after reflashing DME. When I run PASoft and it shows 'Car Indent' screen with all the options in IKE (KMB, KOMBI) and EWS all of them match and there is no option 205 in either of them. The only discrepancy between IKE and EWS is that gearbox type: IKE set to Manual and EWS set to Automatic.
What I want to do is to check if EWS should report "Automatic" in PASoft on manual-from-the-factory cars. I am gonna to hook up PASoft to my friends 330ci 5spd and see what it says. I also want to set it to "Manual" forcedly and then realign EWS-DME and see what happens with the error. I'll capture more screenshots and will post here (let me know if you have an idea which ones will be most useful).
Old 06-21-2012, 01:15 PM   #134
Nervous

BTW, my DME is flashed as EU3, if it matters.... Should I try to flash it back to US-specs (w/o writing of UIF again)?
Old 06-21-2012, 11:08 PM   #135
Nervous

Coding SUCCESS! Finally, I got rid of the 217 error and cruise control is back!
Details. On friendly bmwcoding.com forum I found a topic with discussion of the exact problem: http://www.bmwcoding.com/showthread....-trans&p=32479
The OP mentioned that once he recoded everything with NCS Expert the problem was gone. First, I verified that KMB and EWS both have the same SA. After that I chose "Process car" and coded all the modules (however, it refused to code RAD (radio), but who cares?). However! Right after the coding by NCS (and turning car off/on) I ran INPA to clear and read errors and of course the error still was there! WTF. Being sad, I decided to clear all adaptation values manually in INPA. I did this, cleared errors, read errors - bingo, the infamous 217 error is gone! Cruise control activates! Wooo-hooo! (still need to check if cruise control cuts off by the clutch pedal, but the car is still on jack stands, so - later).
So, I think, it doesn't matter what you use - Progman or NCS Expert. The key was to clear all adaptation values. I am even not sure that reflashing of DME is really necessary at all.

Since I learned how to use NCS Expert I decided to restore some features I had in my LSZ and which were erased by recodings, namely: tripple blinking, fogs with high beams, side markers delete, plus, european hazard blinking (2 fast blinks, pause). Everything went well, LSZ is coded, everything works!

BTW, EWS still says it is automatic but seems to me Terra is right and this is correct (at least for Euro-spec cars).

Last edited by Nervous; 06-21-2012 at 11:12 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:21 AM   #136
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

Quote:
Details. On friendly bmwcoding.com forum I found a topic with discussion of the exact problem: http://www.bmwcoding.com/showthread....-trans&p=32479
The OP mentioned that once he recoded everything with NCS Expert the problem was gone. First, I verified that KMB and EWS both have the same SA. After that I chose "Process car" and coded all the modules (however, it refused to code RAD (radio), but who cares?). However! Right after the coding by NCS (and turning car off/on) I ran INPA to clear and read errors and of course the error still was there! WTF. Being sad, I decided to clear all adaptation values manually in INPA. I did this, cleared errors, read errors - bingo, the infamous 217 error is gone! Cruise control activates! Wooo-hooo! (still need to check if cruise control cuts off by the clutch pedal, but the car is still on jack stands, so - later).
So, I think, it doesn't matter what you use - Progman or NCS Expert. The key was to clear all adaptation values. I am even not sure that reflashing of DME is really necessary at all.

Since I learned how to use NCS Expert I decided to restore some features I had in my LSZ and which were erased by recodings, namely: tripple blinking, fogs with high beams, side markers delete, plus, european hazard blinking (2 fast blinks, pause). Everything went well, LSZ is coded, everything works!

BTW, EWS still says it is automatic but seems to me Terra is right and this is correct (at least for Euro-spec cars).
Congrats on figuring your issue out. There are a couple things to note about the specifics of the issue you ran into, in comparison with Rick330's posts. You both were using a Euro version of the code.

FWIW until I reprogrammed my DME I was throwing errors, not specific codes, that were turning up in INPA indicating that there were issues with CAN bus communications being sent by the DME to the EGR. If I recoded the AKMB with the 205 option, that error went away if the EGR was present. If the EGR was absent I threw a bunch of different codes.

From that experience and all the time I spent trying to work through that without reprogramming the DME using NCS Expert, DIS, and Progman, I believe it is necessary to reprogram the DME. I quite literally spent hours working with NCS Expert and DIS. Once the DME was reprogrammed the error vanished instantly.

/// MODS
Old 06-22-2012, 10:02 AM   #137
Nervous

Did you try to reset all of adaptation values before DME reflashing?
The fact is that I had the very same error code "217 CAN timeout to EGS1" BEFORE and AFTER reflashing DME. Only resetting adaptation values resolved the issue. And now I remember that Progman DID NOT reset adaptation values for me after reflashing (neither did WinKFP). Technically, Progman's sequence is about the following:
1) save CKM values
2) flash
3) timeout
4) asks to turn off the ignition and wait 25 sec
5) reset adaptations
6) restore CKM values

Due to the step #4 my Progman was unable to perform steps #5 and #6 (it never asked to turn ignition back! and I missed the moment). I didn't pay attention to that that time. But I bet if it performs all the steps I wouldn't have the issue, but again - not because of DME reflashing itself, but because clearing of adaptation values. But maybe not, it is hard to say now, but the next person may try to do this instead of reflashing and see what happens.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:20 AM   #138
Nervous

SO, IT IS OFFICIAL NOW: THE SWAP IS DONE, THE CAR IS ALIVE!
I finished installations of driveshaft and exhaust pipe last Friday. On Saturday morning I finalized the assembly (installed front reinforcement plate, aux fan and other small things). And I drove it, finally! What can I say? This is a completely different car now and I feel like I am a rookie driver and need to learn a lot. I drove the car around a bit, stalled several times, car jerked a lot when I released clutch too fast, I had to recall how to start moving on a hill with using parking brake (for some unknown reasons here it is called 'emergency brake' - what a stupid name!). Anyway, I'll keep practicing and hopefully will be able to master manual driving skill.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:06 AM   #139
TerraPhantm

Quote:

Hmm, based on your experience, I agree, reflashing the DME might not be necessary at all. In retrospect, most of the successful retrofits I've seen documented used DIS or Progman to flash the DME... which if I'm not mistaken automatically clears the adaptations as part of the flash.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:03 AM   #140
Nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
Hmm, based on your experience, I agree, reflashing the DME might not be necessary at all. In retrospect, most of the successful retrofits I've seen documented used DIS or Progman to flash the DME... which if I'm not mistaken automatically clears the adaptations as part of the flash.
Yep. I hope someone will confirm it in future.