E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average. Display Modes
Old 06-17-2012, 02:55 AM   #141
irish4life2687

My Ride: 02 BMW 325XI
127k+

Never really had anything break with the exception of a rear window motor...ive taken the steps of replacing/upgrading a few things:

-New Bilstein sport shocks
-Eibach lowering springs
-Performance ignition coils
-RogueEngineering Power pulleys
-new water pump/thermostat
-new clutch/flywheel at 100,000

Over time ive done the normal of replacing brake rotors and what not but other then my windshield washer pump going out I cant think of too much thats broken on its own...the cars extremely reliable and it did excellent during my recent PCS from my base in jersey to texas...1750miles...ran like a champ...on the horizon im going to replace the cooling system, some knock sensors, and a few other things just in the preventitive maintenance side...
irish4life2687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:41 PM   #142
ILLM3X

My Ride: 2001 330xi
179k+ so my 330xi has a lot of miles on it and the only thing that i have had to worry about was the thermostat and the water pump. i am looking at a possible rear differential fix soon a few window regulators have been gone through. what you want to do is make any fixes timely because when you let things pile up it becomes overwhelming. these cars shouldnt have a problem making it to 300k as long as you keep up with the maintenance.
ILLM3X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:55 PM   #143
EDWAGON

My Ride: 2004 325xiT
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDWAGON View Post
Got mine 34k have 64 k

what has been replaced that broke:

-sunroof sliders
-washer fluid pumps headlights and winshield
-power steering rack
-transfer case rear seal
-therostat
-idler pulley
-tensioner pulley ( converted to hydraulic)
-drivers window regulator motor
-front cv axles ( used ac cardon remans- still have oems looking for place to rebuild them0
-transmission mount
-both engine mounts
- Valve cover gaskets

** wondering if I should do the cooling system refresh

Did cooling refresh
Rt cv axle again- found someone sold me a rebuilt GKN for 125
Today power steering pump

At 68k now
EDWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:07 PM   #144
Jason_NJDR

My Ride: 325xi
My XI got 180k
the control arms went bad, alternator, and now rack and pinion
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	561381_2126252413902_621213524_n.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	457737  
Jason_NJDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:36 PM   #145
EDWAGON

My Ride: 2004 325xiT
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDWAGON View Post
Did cooling refresh
Rt cv axle again- found someone sold me a rebuilt GKN for 125
Today power steering pump

At 68k now
Fuel pump, left me stranded. July 4 .

68,500 miles.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:42 AM   #146
E46kitten

My Ride: 325xi 2003
I'm at 99k and the only real pain in the ass was the window regulators.2 went bad and 2 are going bad.replacing it seems easy but expensive.just paid $300 for the driver's side only. Other than that the axels had to be changed at 80k now it runs smooth
E46kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:21 AM   #147
pone

My Ride: 325xit
i've had mine since 68,000 miles, now must be getting close to 90k. what's "gone out?" 2 window regulators and a sway bar end link. and apparently at least one of the cv joints or boots went out some time before i got the car, as i found a lot of grease caked around one axle when i pulled the undercarriage cover off.

maintenance done has included overhauling the cooling system, as well as some fluids and filters. and front brakes.

suspension is next, along with some odds and ends. fuel pump. need to get on the a.c., too.
pone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:19 PM   #148
guitarzero01

My Ride: 2001 330xi
Got it just over a month ago, in 24 hrs had it TOWED back to dealer, (2001 330xi) they replaced the alternator.
Changed both downstream o2 sensors, I have to re thread the 2nd bank o2 sensor bung because the dealership decided to attempt to replace that one and ended up cross threading it.
Repaired vacum leek at rear of engine
replaced intake boot after maf sensor (closest to engine)
Fingers crossed and learning alot the service light hasn't been on for over a week now.
guitarzero01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:03 PM   #149
YiMMA2k5

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarzero01 View Post
Got it just over a month ago, in 24 hrs had it TOWED back to dealer, (2001 330xi) they replaced the alternator.
Changed both downstream o2 sensors, I have to re thread the 2nd bank o2 sensor bung because the dealership decided to attempt to replace that one and ended up cross threading it.
Repaired vacum leek at rear of engine
replaced intake boot after maf sensor (closest to engine)
Fingers crossed and learning alot the service light hasn't been on for over a week now.
hey, do you have a friend/mechanic that can diagnose the service light? They can reset the light for you. (my indy did it for free) hopefully that way its, 1)cost effective 2)they can notify you on why the service light is on.
YiMMA2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:06 PM   #150
YiMMA2k5

im at 93k and change, the defroster has a hard time defrosting my windows, as I had to pull over on the road for 10 minutes when it was pouring out. After that I just had to wipe my window down and rush home. Window regulators will soon need attention. My thermostat needs replacing as it is open /coolant sensor too needs attention. I have the waterpump pulley from ECS tuning, debating on GRAF metal pump or stewarts high pressure water pump. Also need a new left axel assembly. My a/c needs work. Headliner needs to be replaced on all pillars
Old 07-17-2012, 02:47 AM   #151
GaryGG

My Ride: BMW 330Xi & 740i
I've had a series of "high mileage" Bimmers for nearly 45 years. In the last 10 years, I've owned a '95 740i (wife still drives it), an e39 '97 540 (it died at 225K with a blown head gasket), an e39 '03 530i (it died by a tail-gating college kid - totaled at 185K), and for the last 11 months a 2001 330xi that replaced the 530. I bought it at 127K. The most typical weak spots in all of these cars have been the cooling systems, window regulators, and the trim around the electric seats. My 330xi has manual seats and has had no problems. The plastic seat pans with the switch controls break as the seat foam breaks down and the seat sides collapse with age.

The cooling systems start failing between ~110K miles and ~130K. When I've had a header tank or a water pump start leaking, it has saved money in the long run, to replace all of the parts at one time. Otherwise you will pay the labor fee repeatedly, each time another part fails. I know that may not be easy if money is tight but it's a choice that should be consciously made.

The window regulators are weak design. The cable that pulls the window up/down and fastening hardware on that cable seem to be weak links. On all of these cars, I've probably replaced 6 or 7 of them in the last 10 years. All the different models seem to experience this problem. One precaution I use is to stop the window before it lowers to the end of its travel. That solid stop at the end of the travel seems to apply the most strain to the cable. I know it's a stupid thing to have to put up with but these cars have been so much fun to drive since my 1st car (1967 1600) that I've made allowances and just keep looking for that next crooked road!

-GaryGG
Sebastopol, CA

Gary Goodlund, "GaryGG"
Sebastopol, CA
330Xi & 740i
gggbiz@hotmail. com
GaryGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:26 PM   #152
afstud

My Ride: 2003 ZHP 6-speed
i have 227k on my 02 325xi and all it needs as of right now is axles which are on order.... my other 325xi has 183k and needs nothing, only did full cooling system overhaul on both...not sure what previous owners did but there both work in progess and ill keep replacing things for both together as i go.
afstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:10 AM   #153
80sMan

My Ride: Honda Odyssey
I'm looking at an '05 325xi, and have noticed on this thread that most of the high maintenance cars are '02s. Was that a bad year for the xi's, or do all years require this much maintenance? If so, I may have to reassess my desire for a BMW. I'm on a tight budget (kid in school) and cannot afford too many out-of-pocket expenses.
80sMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:17 AM   #154
YiMMA2k5

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sMan View Post
I'm looking at an '05 325xi, and have noticed on this thread that most of the high maintenance cars are '02s. Was that a bad year for the xi's, or do all years require this much maintenance? If so, I may have to reassess my desire for a BMW. I'm on a tight budget (kid in school) and cannot afford too many out-of-pocket expenses.
I'd say 2004&05's are the better all around ones. Yes, these are some what a pain in the arse to maintain. The starter motor is located in between the engine and tranny, so far it has taken my indy 2 full days to work on it... ($700 in change) The window regulators go on these cars, CV BOOTs leak and will require attention ($300-400 w/o labor) Pressure control valves, Valve cover gaskets run $300 each. If your purchasing one of these, get your cooling system flushed, and make sure to replace the plastic parts of the motor. Such as, plastic water pump pulleys, plastic water pump in exchange for all metal ones (very highly recommended) Your right, this car is like a stuck up broad who demands maintenance. If she's running in the clear, she's a bubbly gem that pulls. However, when something goes, it's sorta annoying, but manageable. This car is all about the longrun, preventative maintenance is the golden rule of thumb here. Take care of the car and the car will take care of you. If you purchase a non XI model, be on the look out for broken/worn cracking rear subframes as this only happens to non XI's. ($1300.00) a body shop/indy will have to weld it back in place, or else the whole rear can tear off, like a torn piece of paper. Hey, don't let your hopes down on owning a BMW try purchasing a E30 (1986-1991) 325iX. These are cheap and cost effective to own and a great pleasure to drive. THE iX, is a beast in the snow and the motor should last over 250,000 miles if taken care of. Best of luck. Look for a decent condition e30 3 series, if your alil cautious on maintenance of these e46's! best of luck
-Casper

Last edited by YiMMA2k5; 07-25-2012 at 07:22 AM.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:59 PM   #155
emsurpin

My Ride: 2003 325xi
My '03 325xi has 175k miles and still on the original clutch! Have had some minor issues with the rear windows but otherwise, nothing major.
emsurpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:36 PM   #156

My Ride: 2013 Sonata 2.0T SE
105k miles. Lots of things have broken. Most recently I installed a new DISA, windshield washer pump, and new tires. It runs like a dream {knock on wood}.
99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:24 PM   #157
80sMan

My Ride: Honda Odyssey
Thanks for all the info Casper! I'm going to have to think this through quite a bit. I'm on a very fixed budget.

I wonder if anyone has had success with any of these Third party extended warranties? Thinking if I can find a reputable one, it could. E a good buy over the long run. Not to mention allowing me sleep at night. :-D
80sMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:26 PM   #158
steveybrown

My Ride: 325i
I have a 2001 325i, bought with 179,000 miles
so far I've replaced
oil filter housing gasket
Vanos oil line
All of the oil pressure regulator system
every kind of air and fuel filter
fan speed regulator
spark plugs
All of the smaller pressure lines, even the ones located at the back of the engine.
disa valve as I thought it might be that causing lean codes and the seal on the thing was gone
new cup holders
new rear tires
put some vinel wrap around the outside of the door pillars that are the matte black ones as the paint was actually peeling off from the drivers side, much cheaper than replacing actual pillers but may end up replacing at a later date.
Thermostat, water pump, coolant reservoir, coolant flush
new pulley and and belts
I'm now up to 190,000
6 months old
and costs are up to $1,278.00 for parts alone

Things I'll be doing in the futures
Vanos seals
wheel bearings, fuel cap, oil cap, oil dipstick, oil level sensor, new working key, replacing A,B,C pillers. new coin holder / storage tray haven't decided, vinal wrapping the plastic trim around the car
new / reconditioned AC compressor. AC belt tensioner. Front end alignment

I heard these cars need maintenance but I wasn't quite expecting this.
It's a love hate relationship I think with these cars. I love driving and working on them as there are so many videos and DIY's thank god. I just wish parts were a little cheaper so I could get done all of the DIY's and not have spent the same money for a 2012 model

Coils and o2 sensors
wheel bearing
Control arm bushings
Oil pan gasket
New working remote key

Last edited by steveybrown; 07-27-2012 at 08:57 PM.
steveybrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:10 PM   #159
Rockkeatz

My Ride: 2003 325xi
147,700 right now, purchased my 03 325xi with 103K

New plugs, coils, injector
Water pump
Radiator
Expansion tank
Brakes and rotors
Rear drivers side control arm
Both Front bushings and arms
New struts and springs
New window regulator
New key and door lock
New rear emblem
New starter
KN air filter
New tail driver tail lights from recall
Rockkeatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:46 PM   #160
Thotfulspot

My Ride: 2003 330Xi
I've got 140,000 on my 2003 330xi. In the last year I replaced a front axle, valve cover gasket, and a mirror motor. I've got to do the cooling replacement and I'm changing a few things because I want to. Money well spent for a great vehicle.
Thotfulspot is offline   Reply With Quote