E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Food Talk

Food Talk
Do you like food? If so, you came to the right off-topic section. Discuss your favorite food topics here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-22-2012, 07:59 PM   #1
Mike Larry

My Ride: 575 nello
Let's all rant about foods that we hate

I think candy/caramel apples suck. they're hard to take a good bite out of from the stick, but you can't touch them or you'll get caramel all over your hands. It's a popular summer carnival food, but the heat during that season usually melts the caramel to the point that it's just a big mess. Plus, once you get through the caramel coating, it's really just an apple, which is a pretty mediocre fruit imo. They should candy smaller fruits instead, like berries.

I also don't understand why people generally prefer white meat over dark meat when it comes to chicken. White meat is drier, stringier, and just plain less flavorful. Because of the general perception that white meat is better, McDonald's changed their chicken mcnugget recipe a couple years ago to all white meat. They used to make my favorite chicken nuggets, but the new "improved" recipe just isn't the same imo. And because they could obviously never go back to the old, dark meat recipe because people would see it as a step back, I'll never be able to eat my favorite chicken nuggets again.

I think maraschino cherries really suck too. I don't understand the point of preserving and sweetening a fruit that already tastes so good without tinkering with it. I was living in the UK for a couple months earlier this year and I discovered that Cherry Coke over there tastes like black cherries, whereas our Cherry Coke tastes like maraschino cherries. I wish we had the better Cherry Coke over here.

Lastly, I don't get the point of the cheesy bread/breadsticks that pizza fast food restaurants serve. Cheese + bread, dipped into tomato sauce, is basically just pizza. It's like getting pizza with a side of pizza. I think it's dumb.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:33 PM   #2
TynWarrior

My Ride: '95 M3, '00 323i
Totally with you on the candy apples, I mean I seriously don't get them! In theory it is a great idea, but it simply doesn't work, they are impossible to eat! Also agree on the bread-sticks thing! I mean seriously, I've always thought a side dish is supposed to diversify your meal.

The maraschino cherries and white meat I also agree on the points you made, but I still love them, it's really just a taste thing.

I can't come up with any specifics right now, but what generally gets my knickers in a not is low fat/fat free/diet foods! I mean every ****ing food company is constantly trying to make their product fat person friendly. I am not fat! I just want to eat the food with out having all this health/weight crap thrown at me!

Last edited by TynWarrior; 06-22-2012 at 08:35 PM.
TynWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:39 PM   #3
AfghanScarface

My Ride: Debadged M3
Send a message via AIM to AfghanScarface
Oysters.. Could never get into them, sorry.

Lamb. It more often than not smells funny and the extremely dark color of the meat is off-putting. It also has a tough, stringy texture which I don't particularly like.

Things white people eat, like macaroni and cheese or casserole.

Eggplant, in nearly all its forms.

Cannned tuna, its smell is so damn disgusting I often wonder how people can get past it.

Chili. It looks like diarrhea. Wtf is wrong with you people.

Ill be back with more later, I have plenty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer4Lyfe View Post
Either pursue her and risk getting Mono, or don't pursue her,...stay home and use your Mano.

It's either Mono or Mano .... You decide
AfghanScarface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:53 PM   #4
Sunspot

My Ride: Sleektop 330ci
Sushi. The thought of it disgusts me...

Raw fish wrapped in seaweed? No thanks!
Old 06-23-2012, 12:31 AM   #5
Mike Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfghanScarface View Post
Oysters.. Could never get into them, sorry.

Lamb. It more often than not smells funny and the extremely dark color of the meat is off-putting. It also has a tough, stringy texture which I don't particularly like.

Things white people eat, like macaroni and cheese or casserole.

Eggplant, in nearly all its forms.

Cannned tuna, its smell is so damn disgusting I often wonder how people can get past it.

Chili. It looks like diarrhea. Wtf is wrong with you people.

Ill be back with more later, I have plenty.
don't afghanis eat a ton of lamb? i freaking love lamb; it's by far my favorite meat. something about the taste just really appeals to me. it's like a fatty beef with a subtle, but distinct flavor
Old 06-23-2012, 03:55 PM   #6
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Dark chicken meat is gross. Period. It has the consistency of fat.

Olives.

Horseradish.

A whole lobster or crab. They look like giant bugs. Hell, they are giant bugs that just happen to not live on land.

Oysters. People who love them always say "just let it slide down your throat" which sounds rapey, first of all, and second of all if they do just let it slide down their gullets they must not taste it, so what's the point?

Candy apples are delicious, as is chili, mac & cheese, sushi and casseroles. You people are insane.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:42 PM   #7
AfghanScarface

My Ride: Debadged M3
Send a message via AIM to AfghanScarface
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Larry View Post
don't afghanis eat a ton of lamb? i freaking love lamb; it's by far my favorite meat. something about the taste just really appeals to me. it's like a fatty beef with a subtle, but distinct flavor
It is a staple of our cuisine. Ive had certain variations that were more pleasing to the palette, but for the most part it just isn't my jam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer4Lyfe View Post
Either pursue her and risk getting Mono, or don't pursue her,...stay home and use your Mano.

It's either Mono or Mano .... You decide
AfghanScarface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:51 PM   #8
325rider

My Ride: gone, not forgotten
Send a message via AIM to 325rider
Foods low in protein or that have a sh1t protein to carb and or fat ratio. Fvckin squids

Schrick 264/248 | Ebay Headers | AA dyno tune | SSR GT2 18x9 | 3.46 | Full OEM Mtech 2

My Fitness YouTube Channel!!! Thanks for all the support I am GRATEFUL

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCozwn8gNwXQVuG0se8cTpUQ
325rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:15 PM   #9
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
I love all food, and I am hear to defend the honor of oysters and lobster.

I grew up with them, so the look of lobsters is second nature to me, however, if it bothers you that much, a plate with a tail and two claws is much less intimidating than a full "bug" on your plate. Give it a dry, get dirty, get that succulent meat out, dip it in some melted butter, and enjoy life

As for oysters. Oysters have an amazing flavor. For the people that eat them and call them slimy, slippery, and just let them "slide" down your throat have no idea what they are talking about. Yes, the texture is a little different, however it is no different then eating a slice of medium rare filet, or grilled sliced zucchini. Ya, how can you compare the two? You can't, but just because it isn't grainy and super solid like chicken or pork doesn't mean it has a terrible texture. Venture out, go to a well established raw bar, and have them school you on some oysters. They are one of the best things in the world to eat. Each oyster from a different part of the country has a different flavor to it. Different sizes, textures, finishes... and best of all, different places offer their own mignonette.... put literally a quarter teaspoon of mignonette on each oyster, along with a little squirt of lemon, and it is the most refreshing, ocean-like, delicious mouthful you could ever ask for. Northeast oysters are typically meatier, briny, and crisp, where west coast oysters are smaller and sweeter. They actually have a melon-like finish on them. Both sublime, healthy, and fun IMO. Shellfish in general is just fun to eat.

Ok I think i have unwelcomed my stay here... Adam get your ass in here so you can back me up with the oyster rant
Old 06-23-2012, 05:22 PM   #10
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
I love lobster & crab.....I'm just a ninny and need the tail, claws/legs ont eh plate without the thorax/torso, lol.

I'll eat anything at least once.....maybe I just haven't had the right oysters I'd be willing to try them again if I perceived the place as having "good" oysters.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:51 PM   #11
Mike Larry

i agree with jjr; oysters are freaking awesome. i dont know about the letting it "slide down your throat" method though; it sounds like a way of getting it down without actually tasting it.

i also love lobster and crab, but as much as i love crabs, maryland blue crabs are a real pain in the ass to eat. they taste so good, but after a while i just wanna give up because the meat-to-work ratio just isn't worth it.

another food i thought of that i think sucks is matzoh ball soup. matzoh ball soup is quite possibly the lamest soup in the history of soups. how a clear, flavorless broth with a meager helping of dough can qualify as food is beyond me. i had to read oliver twist in high school and in that story, the poor kid had to beg for "gruel." everytime i saw that word mentioned in the book, i would imagine matzoh ball soup.

also, as far as the more exotic fruits go, i think papaya is a pretty sh1tty fruit. it isn't actually sweet like other fruits and it has this taste that resembles spoiled milk. it's like the mango's sh1tty cousin.

Last edited by Mike Larry; 06-23-2012 at 05:56 PM.
Mike Larry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:58 PM   #12
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
I love lobster & crab.....I'm just a ninny and need the tail, claws/legs ont eh plate without the thorax/torso, lol.

I'll eat anything at least once.....maybe I just haven't had the right oysters I'd be willing to try them again if I perceived the place as having "good" oysters.
hey hey hey! thats cephalathorax to you

i will give you a couple words of advice.

do not go with $1 oysters... they are cheaper, and tend to usually have a tangy creamy aftertaste compared to a solid oyster. I thought $1 oysters were heaven's sent when lots of places around here started doing raw bar appetizer hour... not worth it at all, they should be priced between $2-$3 a pop. Get 2 of each that way you can distinguish the difference in flavors.

Secondly, briny is good. Oysters are fishy like salmon, cod, trout, etc... they are oceany, with a delicious flavor of clean salinity and minerals. You pair that up with a good mignonette, and you have a little sweet and acidity from the vinegar/sherry/shallots that brings it all together.

Lastly, if you see a list of oysters and you don't know what the hell to get, just ask. Oysters from CT, RI, and Cape Cod are by far my favority. When you tend to go lower into Virginia and what not, the warmer water tends to take away that crisp freshness of the oyster, and leaves a long and creamy finish on them. Not a fan, and it particularly doesn't pair well with any sort of acidity.... Give them a shot.

I always tell people who are freaked out by them. They are one of the most universal foods in the world. Everyone eats them raw... everyone. Also, when you have a cut and you go into the ocean, what happens? THIS IS GOOD FOR YOU! hahahahahah that gets them every time lol.

Remember... squirt of lemon (don't drown it) and the equivalent to an espresso spoonful of mignonette.... no cocktail sauce, no horseradish... that kills it.... keep it simple and enjoy.

Also... a Blue Point oyster is probably one of, if not the most, popular oyster known. If you do come across Blue Points, make sure 100% they are from Connecticut. A lot of "Blue Point" oysters being sold for happy hour and in markets for $.99 a piece are from more southern states. These will fall in the same category as the crappy creamy tangy oysters. For years I hated blue points and couldn't fathom how people raved about them, until I found out the ones I had were from Virginia and the real Blue Points from CT are in fact spot on and delicious.

Tootles

Last edited by JJR4884; 06-23-2012 at 06:01 PM.
JJR4884 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:16 PM   #13
Mike Larry

Another thing I just thought of:
I don't necessarily "hate" them, but I really don't agree with the idea of the Big Mac as a point of principle. To me, the point of bread in a sandwich is to hold everything in between together. You wouldn't put an extra piece of bread in a double cheeseburger or use extra slices of bread to separate the individual components of a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich. I just don't understand why you would put an extra piece of bread in a Big Mac. In addition to making the sandwich marginally more expensive, the extra piece of bread gets in the way of the parts of the sandwich that matter (i.e. the meat). If you want more starch or carbs in your sandwich, you should be adding things like fries in the middle. It's just ludicrous to be adding more bread.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:34 PM   #14
Russian172

My Ride: Flying brick,e39 b28
I wonder how griffin will respond
Old 06-23-2012, 07:15 PM   #15
StrummerE46

My Ride: 330ci ZHP
Send a message via AIM to StrummerE46
i FVCKING HATE iceberg lettuce. i hate it. it turns brown when u cut it and its left for a few minutes, and when places put it on hot food, it wilts and gets slimy. i can smell it from 50 feet away when its warm, smells like fertilizer. i fvcking refuse to eat anything thats touched it. i can't even order tacos or burgers anywhere because they make them with lettuce, and then the lazy fvcks that work there just take the lettuce off and serve it. i can tell, it smells like fertilizer. or theyll leave a tiny piece on, and mid chew ill taste it and have to spit it all out and then throw away whatever i was eating.

i hate kidneys too. one time when i was drunk i walked into an english pub and ordered a steak and kidney pie, thinking it would be steak and beans. i found these big white chunks of **** in it, and because i was drunk i ate it. the next day my mouth tasted like piss and nothing i did would make it go away. then my gf made some fvcked up thai food and put little tiny kidneys in it, and told me it was liver so id eat it. then it tasted like piss for another day.

licorice is fvcking nasty so are regular twizzlers. so is jelly beans, mike & ikes, any of that nasty textured sh!t. jello is also equally disgusting.

limburger cheese. seriously who was hungry enough to eat something that smells like hot garbage? we bought it as a joke to try it and as soon as i put it on my tongue, my gag reflex made me vom and we fed the cheese to ducks.

apples fvcking suck. they taste like water chestnuts but bitter and gross. cantaloupe leaves a nasty aftertaste in my mouth. store bought oranges taste like sh!t, so does any citrus from california. cherry tomatoes are gross- i remember getting these at the salad bar in elementary school and biting into them and that goo shooting into my mouth and throwing up. fruit cake sucks too.

krab. not crab, that fake **** krab. disgusting. stop cheaping out and get real crab.

white meat chicken is garbage. everyone in my family refuses to eat dark meat because its "cheap", but they eat stringy tasteless dry white meat that they cook until its dry as cardboard.

when people overcook asparagus, brussel sprouts or broccoli. it gets squishy and it smells like sh!t. when it smells, it means you've overcooked it!! i also hate when dumbasses boil eggs too much and the yolk turns green and it smells like sh!t.

bagels. wtf? boiled then baked chewy dough? my fvcking jaw hurts afterwards. fvck bagels.

flavored chips and crackers. only fat fvcks buy this crap. doritos, flavored tostitos, idc its all for fat people. flavored chips remind me of fat people and bad breath. beef jerky pretty much sucks too. it doesnt taste like much, and u cant chew it without killing your jaw, and god forbid u ever leave a bag open in your car by accident. your car smells like a rhino fart for a month.

fruit juice from concentrate. NASTY AS FVCK. it doesn't even taste like juice, its like fruit flavored lysol.

flavor ice. goddamn i was tortured through elementary and preschool with this crap. i HATE IT. it tastes like frozen robitussin. i also hate grape juice and those shitty danish cookies that come in a blue tin. and the little crunchy pretzels. UGH. school snacks r sh!t.

2 liters of soda. after you first open it, the soda tastes flat and gross. get cans or smaller bottles that youll drink in that sitting.

chex mix. this includes nasty flavored chips and pretzels and crackers.

croissants. they taste burnt.

turkey in recipes that call for beef. youre not fooling anyone, and the extra bit of fat and calories you cut arent worth it. stop being stupid.

anything organic or free range. its a godd@mn scam. its pretentious, lame and overpriced.

when people use dried herbs in italian cooking, or oregano in their sauce. oregano makes it taste like crap and gives it a dry flavor. stop being cheap and get some fresh herbs. freeze what you dont use thats fresh, and break it out when u need it.

thats all i can think of for now. i do however, LOVE durian, tofu, natto, chicken livers, curry, eating potatoes raw, chicken feet, anything with fish sauce on/in it, goat and lamb, sushi and any raw seafood and a bunch of other sh!t other people think is gross. i basically hate food that people eat to be half ass or lazy, and i hate short cuts in cooking.

braucht mehr low

Last edited by StrummerE46; 06-23-2012 at 07:18 PM.
StrummerE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:28 PM   #16
Mike Larry

^ dude you sound maaad picky. i barely think iceberg lettuce even has a taste. when you put it in a sandwich, it just adds a flavorless crunch
Old 06-23-2012, 07:29 PM   #17
StrummerE46

actually, most food american people make is pretty crappy and uninspired. i was lucky to grow up with asian best friends and be exposed to a lot of different stuff when i was young. i would go over to my buddys house and eat home made spring rolls, durian, fried rice, all kinds of different grilled meat, noodles and so on, and then when id go home id have burnt pork chops, unflavored mashed potatoes, canned peas and soda from a 2 liter.

braucht mehr low
Old 06-23-2012, 07:33 PM   #18
StrummerE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Larry View Post
^ dude you sound maaad picky. i barely think iceberg lettuce even has a taste. when you put it in a sandwich, it just adds a flavorless crunch
i wouldnt say picky, i just have quirks. iceberg really does have a flavor to me. just like some people think cilantro tastes like soap, iceberg tastes like fertilizer to me. the rest of that stuff is just fast food garbage or people half assing their meals.

i dont eat candy or fast food, california citrus (i grew up with florida citrus trees so i always had home grown grapefruits, oranges and limes), iceberg lettuce, fat kid chips etc.

braucht mehr low
Old 06-23-2012, 07:35 PM   #19
Mike Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrummerE46 View Post
actually, most food american people make is pretty crappy and uninspired. i was lucky to grow up with asian best friends and be exposed to a lot of different stuff when i was young. i would go over to my buddys house and eat home made spring rolls, durian, fried rice, all kinds of different grilled meat, noodles and so on, and then when id go home id have burnt pork chops, unflavored mashed potatoes, canned peas and soda from a 2 liter.
damn you're not asian and you like durian? i think it tastes ok, but the smell is so awful that it just sours the overall experience for me. you also mentioned chicken feet, which i think is pretty awful. it's nothing but gristle and skin, but not the delicious, fatty chicken skin you might get from a roast chicken, but thick, soft, wrinkled-looking skin.

i gotta agree with you on kidneys though; they just have an unpleasant, chewy texture.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:48 PM   #20
Mike Larry

Another thing that really bugs me is the disparity in bread served at meals down south. Some restaurants down south serve southern style biscuits, which are the most delicious f-ing things I've ever had, but other restaurants (particularly bbq restaurants) just serve white bread. And it's not even good white bread; it's the crappy ghetto white bread that you'd pick up for 50 cents a loaf at a bodega in nyc. wtf am i supposed to do with that sh1t? dip it in bbq sauce? the whole concept just baffles me