E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-06-2012, 01:33 PM   #61
evilstar

My Ride: 633csi & 325i
considering this phone heavily. but they are supposed to release the quad core phones end of june. how does this compare to the razr maxx?

edit: damn it im so confused now. the OP states is quad core but i know i read it was dual core on the verizon site.
From verion wireless:
Quote:
Hardware That's Hard to Beat
Powered by America's fastest 4G network - Verizon 4G LTE.
See and do more on the stunning 4.8" HD Super AMOLED; display with Corning® Gorilla® Glass 2.0.
A 1.5 GHz dual-core processor and 2 GB of RAM allows seamless multitasking without delay.
Sleek, slim, and light, you won't believe so much fits in one package.
ok my bad after more research only Tmobile is getting the quad core. lame.

Last edited by evilstar; 06-06-2012 at 01:46 PM.
evilstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:28 PM   #62
jeffro3000

My Ride: 2000 328i
Not sure what to think about the dual core version... Sure, it will probably be fine for now, but two years from now at the end of a contract, how big of a bottleneck will it be?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Bimmer App
jeffro3000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:38 PM   #63
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
So they came out with two different phones? WTF?! Why?
Old 06-06-2012, 02:53 PM   #64
jeffro3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
Well, considering that only T-Mobile is getting the quad, my guess is that they couldn't get the quad core working with LTE in time. T-Mobile is the only carrier with no immediate plans for LTE i think. Even Sprint is selling LTE phones and rolling out soon. The dual core version may have the LTE radio integrated onto the chip or something.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:55 PM   #65
Hedges

My Ride: C63 AMG
I wonder how this will compare to the windows phone?

Old 06-06-2012, 03:04 PM   #66
rapier7

My Ride: Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro3000 View Post
Well, considering that only T-Mobile is getting the quad, my guess is that they couldn't get the quad core working with LTE in time. T-Mobile is the only carrier with no immediate plans for LTE i think. Even Sprint is selling LTE phones and rolling out soon. The dual core version may have the LTE radio integrated onto the chip or something.
Samsung's Exynos quad core SOC isn't compatible with current 4G LTE radios. Therefore they had to use a variant of Qualcomm's Snapdragon SOC, which is only dual core. T-Mobile is currently the only major carrier with no major rollout plans for 4G LTE (this year, next year is a different story) so they're content with the 3G HSPA+ version.

It's faster clocked than the Exynos, and it won't make a difference in real world performance. Quad core sounds cool, but it's a marketing gimmick at this stage.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:17 PM   #67
jeffro3000

Just as i suspected, lol.

Next year though, quad core may be less of a marketing gimmick and more of a necessity.

And as far as T-MO still being content with HSPA+...

Last edited by jeffro3000; 06-06-2012 at 03:18 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:41 PM   #68
Ynot

My Ride: 997
Quote:
And as far as T-MO still being content with HSPA+...
What's wrong with HSPA+? It doesn't drain battery like LTE, it's fast enough, anything over 6MB download is like a girl with bigger than DD boobs. It serves no purpose except that I can say, "I am bigger than you or faster in this case."
Old 06-06-2012, 11:12 PM   #69
rapier7

My Ride: Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynot View Post
What's wrong with HSPA+? It doesn't drain battery like LTE, it's fast enough, anything over 6MB download is like a girl with bigger than DD boobs. It serves no purpose except that I can say, "I am bigger than you or faster in this case."
Right now, there's a huge fight to acquire more spectrum. The FCC is stalling on their latest auctions of spectrum and attempted mergers of companies to combine spectrum holdings (most notably AT&T and T-Mobile) won't happen because the FCC and the DOJ won't allow it. That's why you see such a huge push by the biggest carriers to move to LTE. Theoretically, it has much greater spectral efficiency than HSPA+. Once the carriers complete their upgrades to LTE, they'll be able to offer much better pricing on mobile bandwidth. It'll make HSPA+ obsolete within 3 years or less.

As an aside, the attempted merger of AT&T and T-Mobile had a merger disapproval provision that required AT&T to pay T-Mobile 4 billion dollars once the FCC nixed the merger. T-Mobile is using that money to upgrade their network to LTE next year. It's kinda funny. Oh, the wonders of government.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:12 AM   #70
jeffro3000

Apple may seek U.S. ban of Samsung Galaxy S III today

They're getting more desperate by the day it seems

"Company 'X' has a new product coming out?? Time to sue again! Quick, find a software patent we can use."

Quote:

Citing the usual ongoing patent infringements, Apple believes Samsung's new phone and a host of other Android devices are in violation of patents related to iOS devices. Apple sued the Korean handset maker last year, saying that it copied key elements of the iPhone and iPad in its own Galaxy phones and tablets.

In a court filing (PDF) issued on Tuesday, Apple alleged that the Galaxy S III specifically violates two of its patents, both software-related. The two patents are U.S. Patent No. 8,086,604, which covers "unified search" and No. 5,946,647, which covers "links for structures."

"Because the Galaxy S III contains two of the exact infringing features already at issue with respect to the Galaxy Nexus, the S III is not more than colorably different from the Galaxy Nexus," Apple wrote in its filing.

Krevitt said that the temporary order banning Galaxy S III sales in the U.S. will generate "a mechanism to allow the court to decide this issue before the launch," according to Electronista.

Samsung is naturally putting up a fight, saying that Apple shouldn't be able to request such a quick emergency ban against the Galaxy S III.

William Price, Samsung's attorney, argued yesterday that the technology cited in Apple's patents has nothing to do with sales of Galaxy phones. The attorney added that Apple is just trying to "prevent a phone from getting to the public that is better than Apple's in many, many respects," according to the Electronista account.

Pretty much. Apple would rather them at least wait until the iPhone 5 is out, so they can have a head start
Old 06-24-2012, 02:17 AM   #71
B33MER

My Ride: 330i SMG M-Sport
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/iphone-5-pu...081700443.html
CF Roundels all around, Black grillz, 7000k Angel eyes,6300k HID fog lights, Hamman Lip reps, ACS roof spoiler reps, Alutech front and rear struts, BMC CDA with DIY heatshield, Pro RS braided brake line, ///M Billet Oil Cap, OEM ///M mats, ///M aluminium pedals,

B33MER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:45 AM   #72
Coldintake
Registered OG User

My Ride: Mid-engine beast
Quote:
Originally Posted by B33MER View Post
Quote:
During the annual shareholder's meeting of the Hon Hai Precision Industry Co (trading as Foxconn), Gou suggested that with his company's marketing and manufacturing expertise combined with Sharp's key technologies - namely in the display arena - they will be able to completely defeat Samsung in the next three to five years.

And a double to the iphone fan boys
Old 06-24-2012, 10:05 AM   #73
jeffro3000

lol, hate to burst the bubble but that article is a pretty laughable attempt to stir up clicks and hype.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:14 AM   #74
MotorWerkz

My Ride: very cheap Yugo
Send a message via AIM to MotorWerkz
What's the best looking android phone?
Old 06-24-2012, 11:13 AM   #75
jeffro3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorWerkz View Post
Galaxy Nexus. Maybe One X after that imo.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:18 AM   #76
coco savage

My Ride: 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldintake View Post

And a double to the iphone fan boys
love the wording...as if its some sort of epic movie battle

Random Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black107 View Post
he's just the resident off-topic ball breaker. Dont take it personally.
coco savage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:22 PM   #77
nikkeiS2K

My Ride: N/A
Send a message via ICQ to nikkeiS2K Send a message via AIM to nikkeiS2K Send a message via MSN to nikkeiS2K Send a message via Yahoo to nikkeiS2K
Quote:
Galaxy Nexus. Maybe One X after that imo.

The Galaxy Nexus is the plainest looking phone I have ever seen.
nikkeiS2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:21 PM   #78
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

My Ride: is slowww
Send a message via AIM to Adam@Euro-Spec
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorWerkz View Post
I like the look of my razr maxx and battery last forever

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App
Adam@Euro-Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:30 PM   #79
alphawhiskey

My Ride: Foxtrot
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkeiS2K View Post
The Galaxy Nexus is the plainest looking phone I have ever seen.
The front looks good to me. It's all screen, no hard buttons. Nice subtle curve to it, which really catches the eye when it is laying flat on the table. Front/curve look nicer than the iphone to me.

The back is hideous and cheap imo, but I have a cover on it anyways.

Nothing looks better than the iphone, imo, but the Nexus would be my choice for androids. I like the Razr's thinness, but that Droidx-styled hump/overall shape bothers me. The CF/Kevlar is cool too.
alphawhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:47 PM   #80
jeffro3000

Samsung's Galaxy S III Launch Is A Giant Mess (T, VZ, S, DT)

Quote:
Verizon: The website says the Galaxy S III will ship by July 11. There's still no official launch date for the phone.
Sprint: Sprint confirmed to Engadget that pre-orders went through, but massive demand has kept the phone from appearing in stores on the June 21 target date. Pre-orders for the 16 GB model began arriving last week, but those who ordered a 32 GB model will still have to wait a few more days. Sprint blames limited supply for the delay.
AT&T: Some pre-order customers were told they would get their Galaxy S III by June 21. Now the company says supply constraints may cause more delays. The first pre-orders should arrive Monday June 25. Like Verizon, AT&T still hasn't announced an official launch date for the phone.
T-Mobile: The company hasn't announced an in-store launch date yet, but you can order the phone online.
So what's going on here? It sounds like there simply aren't enough phones to go around. This could either be due to insanely high demand, or Samsung simply couldn't make enough to fill store shelves in time for the June launch. Or both. (The U.S. version has slightly different hardware than the international version that launched last month.)