E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-25-2012, 12:49 PM   #1
toddz

My Ride: 2001 325xi Touring
Automatic transmission acting up

Scary. My 2001 325xi wagon has acting up lately. Car has 147K miles. When I start from a stop, it seems to "drop down a gear", and then "jerks" before responding.

Also, when I put I go from reverse to drive, there is a delay and then is does the same thing. I always come to a complete stop before dropping from reverse to drive. Always. Doesn't seem good.

Any input would be great.
toddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:15 PM   #2
kaboo0m

My Ride: 04 325xi
Send a message via AIM to kaboo0m
first stop is to change the fluid and see if it makes a difference. if not, plan on offloading the car or start saving for an overhaul
kaboo0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:22 PM   #3
toddz

Thanks. Just spoke with my very trusted mechanic and he said the same thing...with the exception of that he has a "great tranny" guy.

FINGERS CROSSED!

Last edited by toddz; 06-25-2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:27 PM   #4
kaboo0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddz View Post
Thanks. Just spoke with my very trusted mechanic and he said the same thing...with the exception of that he has a "great tranny" guy.
i'd avoid rebuilds if necessary. those are a crap shoot waiting to happen and often causes more headaches even with a warranty than usual unless its an OEM remanufacturered one. Moreover, the transmission is way more complex than an engine to begin with and very custom to the make and model of your car so any missing or incorrect small piece is a giant crap shoot waiting to happen.

I had a similar issue with my e30 when i first bought it. Shifted like crap on the original 200k transmission. without a moment's hesitation, I opted for a rebuilt one for 2k... worst mistake ever cause the new shiny transmission turned out to have some errors that caused pressure build up (and puking fluids as a result). I made this professional reinstall my old one on his dime, change the fluid and it shifted a whole hell lot better than the remanufactured one.

Last edited by kaboo0m; 06-25-2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:37 PM   #5
toddz

I'm willing to live the issue if I have to as money is tight right now. Just don't want to end up stranded out there somewhere. It has (knocking on wood) absolutely no shifting issues when driving over 10 mph. In rush hour, I notice it drop down when I accelerate from slow roll.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:15 PM   #6
Bobby330xi

My Ride: '02 330 XI Auto
The same thing was happening to my trans, especially when it was cold or extremely hot. I had about 122K miles on it at the time. I changed out the fluid and filter. Then changed the fluid alone again about 1000-1500 miles later. Trans is shifting a lot smoother, especially when cold. If you have no experience I would recommend having a shop do it.

Be sure to specify that you DO NOT want the trans flushed, only fluid and filter changed. Flushing the trans and cooler can cause a whole world of problems that you don't want at this point.

Good luck!

P.S. Downshifting or dropping down to the next gear when accelerating is normal. "slipping" or having the engine RPM's raise without the car accelerating or the trans shifting erratically or jerking are signs of failure....not downshifting alone.

Last edited by Bobby330xi; 06-25-2012 at 11:18 PM.
Bobby330xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:54 PM   #7
redbull 325is

My Ride: 325xit/6
Send a message via AIM to redbull 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaboo0m View Post
first stop is to change the fluid and see if it makes a difference. if not, plan on offloading the car or start saving for an overhaul
False, he is experiencing a coasting jolt fault, very common on our transmissions. There is a firmware update for the ecm available to fix it. total cost should be $150. If you are set of a trans service, I recommend running Redline D4 ATF

Last edited by redbull 325is; 06-26-2012 at 06:56 PM.
redbull 325is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:59 PM   #8
kaboo0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull 325is View Post
False, he is experiencing a coasting jolt fault, very common on our transmissions. There is a firmware update for the ecm available to fix it. total cost should be $150. If you are set of a trans service, I recommend running Redline D4 ATF
interesting. is there a specific bulletin for this?

edit:

http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/8060/image001si5.jpg

could this be it? I know there was one for ZF transmissions but XI's are GM ones.

Last edited by kaboo0m; 06-26-2012 at 07:07 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:27 PM   #9
toddz

Thanks for your note on my issue. Yesterday I had my VERY TRUSTED mechanic check the transmission fluid, and it was full. His suggestion was to take it to his go to tranny shop and have them drop the pan and look for shreddings etc and see if anything is clogging the filter.

redbull 325is: There is definitely a noticeable "jolt" at low RPMs when it drops a gear. I am certain that it is abnormal. It happens rolling at low speed (10-15mph) as well as from a dead start. Also, there's a delay in engagement when shifting from park to drive (about 1 second). When shifting from reverse to drive, there is a longer delay (around 2 seconds). Again, there don't seem to be any symptoms above 15 mph that I notice.

Curious if you still think the firmware update would help?
Old 06-27-2012, 02:37 PM   #10
toddz

kaboom: thanks for posting that document. after reading it however i am afraid to say my symptoms are a bit greater beyond happening only after the car rests overnight...
Old 06-27-2012, 06:21 PM   #11
VG1134
Old City Bimmer

My Ride: Classifieds
I have the park to drive delay. It's about 2-3 seconds. It doesn't matter if its cold or warm. Other than that it drives perfect.
VG1134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:33 PM   #12
cmoors

My Ride: 2002 325 XiT
Positive engagement in drive position D delayed?

My 325 XiT E46 falls outside of the production dates BMW recommends for the software "update" to solve the issue of "Positive engagement in drive position D delayed" as outlined by kaboo0m Mine is a a July 2002 production so when I spoke with the dealer they didn't recommend this even thought the description of the problem fits my car perfectly.

Has anyone had the dealer update the software to see if this solves that problem even outside of date? They said there were no codes and my regular mechanic has done the fluid and the dealer confirmed that fluid looked fine.

I'm sure the big fix is a new tranny since there is 188K on original but outside of the issue, the transmission work great. Just trying to milk another year to 2 out of this one.
cmoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:53 PM   #13
White_Knuckles

My Ride: 2003 325xi
I'd be cautious diagnosing trans problems on the Internet. The OP indicates "... has [started] acting up lately". Not, it always had this behavior. That suggests something changed where the symptom is new. High mile transmissions likely have deeper mechanical issues then fluid/filter change-outs will correct. I'm not going to hex the situation with the following comment but there is plausibility to the statement.

Changing out fluid may make things worse. It has been reported, on high-mile cars, when fresh fluid is introduced the properties are such that worn clutches, seals etc. do not adapt well where new and exciting problems show up. The problems may or may not be severe but even a proper servicing procedure may introduce undesirable results. No one can predict what will happen including a "VERY TRUSTED" mechanic. I am coming from direct experience with a Mercedes where hoping to gain a couple more years with a fluid/filter refresh proved a very bad idea. Bounce this concern off a BMW dealer or specialty shop and listen to what they advise. Or find a shop that will warranty the work.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:19 PM   #14
cmoors

My Ride: 2002 325 XiT
Thanks for the information. We did the fluid last year around 165K which made some of the other shifts much smoother. If you rode in the car you wouldn't notice anything abnormal except the first two, first to second shifts with high rpms. My mechanic gave me a heads up that a fluid refresh could have had an adverse result, however it didn't in my case. The local BMW dealer stuck a camera in there and said everything looked normal,the fluid looked good, and there were no codes. So it could be a seal on the clutch which just doesn't act right when it has been sitting or is really cold. I don't have the issue as bad during the summer since it is so warm here in Fresno.
cmoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:25 AM   #15
redbull 325is

Read the fault codes in the EGS and try topping off the transmission. a fluid flush never helps with shifting issues other than making sure you have the right fluid level in it.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:36 PM   #16
sammy2303

My Ride: 325 xi
Reading these threads makes me glad I delayed acting on my "Positive engagement in drive position D delayed" issue. I am all set to
replace the fluid and filter but wonder if a TSB or firmware or software update could solve this problem. It occurs only when cold. Works better if initially shifted into M1 but some delays may still occur. It seems to depend on the ambient temperature and how long it's been sitting. Always worse in the morning. Otherwise it shifts responsively smooth up an down without delay. I have driven it hard and it feels tight and smooth. Only has 61K miles. Please advise...
sammy2303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:24 PM   #17
redbull 325is

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy2303 View Post
Reading these threads makes me glad I delayed acting on my "Positive engagement in drive position D delayed" issue. I am all set to
replace the fluid and filter but wonder if a TSB or firmware or software update could solve this problem. It occurs only when cold. Works better if initially shifted into M1 but some delays may still occur. It seems to depend on the ambient temperature and how long it's been sitting. Always worse in the morning. Otherwise it shifts responsively smooth up an down without delay. I have driven it hard and it feels tight and smooth. Only has 61K miles. Please advise...
I've seen cars with exceptionally low mileage weep fluids (ie bad valve cover gasket on an x5 with 30k miles) This could mean your trans pan has leaked some fluid and you are low. I'd try topping it off first before doing a fluid swap and seeing if you get appreciable results. The firmware update usually only helps for the coasting jolt error (bangs when downshifting 3-2 or 2-1)

hth
Julien
Old 10-25-2012, 10:08 AM   #18
jasonbimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddz View Post
kaboom: thanks for posting that document. after reading it however i am afraid to say my symptoms are a bit greater beyond happening only after the car rests overnight...
the slow engagement after sitting is due to first gear clutch pack seal leaking.
essentially you have to wait till the pressure to come back then it tries to engage.
it can only be fixed with opening up the transmission.
jasonbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:46 AM   #19
MYSTICBLUE325XI

My Ride: 2003 325XI
Had the software update, mine is an 5/03 builddate 325xi with the gm trans. Overnight sitting would be 2 to 3 secs to engage, not bad, but left the car for a week, took like 10 secs to move! Had the update done, no problems now, goes right into gear. Do it, 100% recommended
MYSTICBLUE325XI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:13 PM   #20
Gvega702

My Ride: 2004 BMW 325i Sport
Automatic transmission acting up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYSTICBLUE325XI View Post
Had the software update, mine is an 5/03 builddate 325xi with the gm trans. Overnight sitting would be 2 to 3 secs to engage, not bad, but left the car for a week, took like 10 secs to move! Had the update done, no problems now, goes right into gear. Do it, 100% recommended
What is the name of the update to have it done, it sounds like I have a similar issue

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Gvega702 is offline   Reply With Quote