E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum

Motorsports & Track Forum
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-18-2012, 12:11 PM   #1
disapr

My Ride: E46 M3/SVT Raptor
Any issues removing headlight harness and controller?

I'm looking into thinning the harness (again) and removing wiring for the headlights, front & rear aim sensors and maybe the headlight controller (switch) unless this is needed for another purpose. Mine is an 04 so it doesn't look like redundant data is still stored there but I'm not 100%.

Any experience with this? I don't plan to race/track this car in the dark so I'll probably just get some BW CF blanks.
disapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:16 PM   #2
disapr

b u m p
Old 06-21-2012, 05:12 PM   #3
disapr

Looks like I'll have to try and see what happens. The main reason I'm asking is because my car is and has been taken apart for a while and the harness is laying on the floor in a spare room - so it'll be a while before I can test this out and I'd like to thin the wires now.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:14 PM   #4
magnetic1

My Ride: MysticPair
Pretty sure you need the headlight controller... some other module is tied into it, but I cant remember what
2004 Mystic Blue #121 NASA GTS3 Racecar
2003.5 Mystic Blue Street Car
magnetic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:45 PM   #5
mrshelley

My Ride: 2004 330i
You can take it all out. The only thing is, your instrument cluster will indicate that your tail lights are burned out and your mileage light will come on. If you are crafty, you can take the instrument cluster apart and tape off the offending lights.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:44 AM   #6
disapr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshelley View Post
You can take it all out. The only thing is, your instrument cluster will indicate that your tail lights are burned out and your mileage light will come on. If you are crafty, you can take the instrument cluster apart and tape off the offending lights.
Thanks for the info - Did removing the headlight aim sensors have any impact on DSC/ABS? I'm disconnecting my steering angle sensor to disable DSC but I would like to maintain ABS.

For the most part I'm only really concerned about limping the engine, affecting ABS or removing something vital to the car. If it's only going to light up warning lights then I'll find a way to get rid of them or just wait until I get my AIM dash.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:57 PM   #7
vaio76109

My Ride: Race Cars
The brake switch/lights go through the headlight control module/switch, sure there are ways around that, but you'll need to do some wiring. I would leave it unless you're worried about every last pound.

If you want to disable DSC remove the accelerometer under the driver's seat. Leave the steering angle sensor, it's nice data to have if you add data acquisition that has CAN capability(AiM MXL Pista or Solo DL for example). I see you're in Houston, I'm in Fort Worth. PM me if need any work done, I've built a couple E46 race cars, and others.

Last edited by vaio76109; 06-25-2012 at 09:58 PM.
vaio76109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:05 PM   #8
disapr

SO are you saying that the brake lights will not work without the headlight module? I can leave it - I'll just have to mount it under the dash some place because it won't fit in the original place anymore.

Will disconnecting the gyro under the drivers seat have any affect on ABS?
Old 06-25-2012, 10:11 PM   #9
vaio76109

My Ride: Race Cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by disapr View Post
SO are you saying that the brake lights will not work without the headlight module? I can leave it - I'll just have to mount it under the dash some place because it won't fit in the original place anymore.

Will disconnecting the gyro under the drivers seat have any affect on ABS?
Correct.
No.
vaio76109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:49 AM   #10
mrshelley

My Ride: 2004 330i
Buy a brake light switch from some racing place like Jegs or Summit. On my car the brake light switch is from some older BMW but I can't remember which.

In a nutshell:
-Don't mess with the immobilizer. If needed, take the ignition tumbler out and mount it under the dash. The Immobilizer ring will clip on the tumbler. Then stick the key in the tumbler. I did this because I had 3 DME's. So I had 3 keys and 3 immobilizer boxes under the dash. When I needed to change out the DME, it was pretty easy.
-Just unhook the gyro but leave the steering angle sensor hooked up. The steering angle sensor is part of the CAN in the car.
-Get a brake light switch.
-Take the instrument cluster apart (it's real easy) and tape over all of the offending lights. You can actually remove the thin plastic sheet that is right in front of all of the lights and use electrical tape to cover up everything from behind. It just looks better. This way, when a light that you need to see (i.e. ABS or low coolant) will get your attention.

In the end, all you need to get the car to run is the motor, 4 wheel speed sensors, ABS unit, instrument cluster, throttle pedal.