E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-18-2012, 04:10 PM   #1
Miles Enrico

My Ride: 2003 330xi
Does anyone have an XI with stock springs and Koni Yellows?

I've been browsing for the better part of an hour and I can't find anybody (XI or otherwise) who's using stock springs with Koni Yellows!
Mine has 87,000 miles and the suspension feels pretty rough. I like the stock ride height and comfort, but being able to increase dampening for "spirited driving" and autocross would be great. Opinions? Anybody out there using this setup?
Miles Enrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:23 PM   #2
SharkmanBMW

My Ride: 03 330xi, 4th bimmer
Send a message via MSN to SharkmanBMW
Koni is a sport shock that is made for a lowering spring.
The shaft length on the Koni will likely not work with the height of the OEM spring, it would be overextended. My 325XiT tore a shock in 2 because the shaft was for a shorter spring, not a pretty sight. It overextended over a big bump and the shaft snapped after ripping out of the tube!

Measure an OEM shock vs. Koni and you will see.
ALSO, if you bother switching shocks, not doing springs seems like a waste, especially since the rear springs on these cars are guaranteed to break at sooner rather than later lol

What you could do though, is buy Bilstein HD shocks for your OEM springs. The 'HD' is an OEM length replacement for OEM springs.
But, the best suggestion: Get Eibach with Koni and you will be happy.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:31 PM   #3
Miles Enrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkmanBMW View Post
Koni is a sport shock that is made for a lowering spring.
The shaft length on the Koni will likely not work with the height of the OEM spring, it would be overextended. My 325XiT tore a shock in 2 because the shaft was for a shorter spring, not a pretty sight. It overextended over a big bump and the shaft snapped after ripping out of the tube!

Measure an OEM shock vs. Koni and you will see.
ALSO, if you bother switching shocks, not doing springs seems like a waste, especially since the rear springs on these cars are guaranteed to break at sooner rather than later lol

What you could do though, is buy Bilstein HD shocks for your OEM springs. The 'HD' is an OEM length replacement for OEM springs.
But, the best suggestion: Get Eibach with Koni and you will be happy.
That must have been an exciting bump!!
This is interesting. I will be replacing everything, including springs, no matter what; I think I will probably just go with OEM, the roads are so bad near my house that ride comfort and ground clearance are both a lot more important to me than they would otherwise be.... *sigh* to live somewhere with nice roads...
Old 04-18-2012, 05:47 PM   #4
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Athayer187 has koni shocks and OE springs. He says it's a nice stup, and I believe him.

Go for it.

I suggest eibach springs though- mainly because rear stock spring break.
Kubica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:51 PM   #5
athayer187

My Ride: 2004 330xi
Get the Konis - I set mine up to be slightly overdamped (firm) in the summer months with summer tires, then soften them up in the winter with snows. My car is a 4 season daily driver (need the ground clearance for snow in northern VT), so I like "sporting comfort". I have my E28 for autox and the track. Let me know if you want some more specifics.

1988 535is - EAT chip, style 5 wheels for track, style 29 wheels for street, urethane UCAB's,
urethane trans mounts, 500/450 IE Coilovers, UUC SSK, Mason Engineering strut bars,
Hella H1/H4 headlights, Schroth Rallye 3's, Dinan 25/19 swaybars, 750i brakes
2004 330xi - stock except for UUC SSK, RE RSM's, Koni Yellows, UUC TSE1
athayer187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:03 PM   #6
Miles Enrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by athayer187 View Post
Get the Konis - I set mine up to be slightly overdamped (firm) in the summer months with summer tires, then soften them up in the winter with snows. My car is a 4 season daily driver (need the ground clearance for snow in northern VT), so I like "sporting comfort". I have my E28 for autox and the track. Let me know if you want some more specifics.
I definitely identify with the "sporting comfort", that's really the goal isn't it! On the softer settings, do you think the shocks are comparable to the OEM ones? In terms of dampening, and also things like progressiveness and travel length; also, did your ride height stay essentially the same? How long have you had them for? Sorry for the bavarian inquisition...

I emailed Koni, I'm curious to get the official verdict on whether or not their shafts are too short (lol) for stock springs. Thanks for the input guys!
Old 04-18-2012, 06:29 PM   #7
cool breeze

My Ride: 330xi
Im with you Miles, ride height and travel is more important for where I live also.
Is there a stock height replacement for the rear springs that break?
cool breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:58 PM   #8
stoneweed1
OEM ///Member

My Ride: '01 330xi 200K miles
i put the 4 brand new koni yellows with 4 fairly new stock springs 2 months ago after 200k on the original setup and 2 rear broken springs. i like it, much improved. i started with the factory preset on soft and then adjusted the fronts 1/2 way (stiff) and like it even more. i plan on adjusting to the tightest setting and seeing how that feels. b
stoneweed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:03 PM   #9
athayer187

My Ride: 2004 330xi
I've had this setup for ~60k miles, so I have a fair amount of experience with it. Ride height is very close to stock, no drop at all (travel is the same too). Ride can be what you want it to as far as dampening goes. I overdamp in the summer and damp just right in the winter. The non-technical meaning of that is a firmer ride in the summer months, and essentially identical to stock in the winter.

1988 535is - EAT chip, style 5 wheels for track, style 29 wheels for street, urethane UCAB's,
urethane trans mounts, 500/450 IE Coilovers, UUC SSK, Mason Engineering strut bars,
Hella H1/H4 headlights, Schroth Rallye 3's, Dinan 25/19 swaybars, 750i brakes
2004 330xi - stock except for UUC SSK, RE RSM's, Koni Yellows, UUC TSE1
athayer187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:02 PM   #10
Miles Enrico

Awesome guys! I think I'm gonna go for it once I hear back from the Koni rep.
athayer187, awesome E28. Such a cool track car!
Old 06-17-2012, 01:39 AM   #11
kaboo0m

My Ride: 04 325xi
Send a message via AIM to kaboo0m
bump miles, any update? I'm running this same setup as we speak because the koni shocks were cheaper to acquire for me than stock shocks.

also, if the koni hardware is about an inch or so shorter than the stock shocks, wouldn't it compress the springs an inch or so to given how low the spring hat now sits when bolted onto the shock?

Last edited by kaboo0m; 06-17-2012 at 01:45 AM.
kaboo0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:08 PM   #12
EDWAGON

My Ride: 2004 325xiT
Hi guys in the market for new struts , shocks and 4 springs. From what i have read the KONI will work on the OEM springs? I do not want to lower my car like it the way it its. Any input appreciated. Tks!
EDWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:16 PM   #13
kaboo0m

Koni Does work with OEM springs. I am on that setup now. My brother (new owner of my car) however planning on getting OEM struts and shocks in the next month and is planning on selling our recent Koni setup if you are interested.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:33 PM   #14
White_Knuckles

^ kabooOm, not to affect your sale but... how come he's offing the Koni's for OEM? I'ts fine if the response is too stiff or something, we all know ride is subjective to each owner. Seems strange with fresh shocks?

What model struts and shocks are we talking here? Has he played with the settings?

Last edited by White_Knuckles; 06-19-2012 at 08:34 PM.
White_Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:50 PM   #15
kaboo0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_Knuckles View Post
^ kabooOm, not to affect your sale but... how come he's offing the Koni's for OEM? I'ts fine if the response is too stiff or something, we all know ride is subjective to each owner. Seems strange with fresh shocks?

What model struts and shocks are we talking here? Has he played with the settings?
he is spoiled by the luxuries of lexus suspensions (his previous car was a gs300 before giving it to my mother). Now he needs a car and I don't want him to piss his money on another so I am giving him my XI while I drive my e30.

He hated driving my car when I had my Dinan suspension so I sold the springs and got stock springs. It still wasn't enough for him even at the softest setting no do I blame him. Ultimately, he should service his car to his liking so if that means OEM specs to retain comfort. That's fine. I rather he spend $800 bucks on new struts than to purchase another car for $10k-20k
Old 06-24-2012, 04:05 PM   #16
ParadigmShift

My Ride: E46 XiT
Edwagon - Let me know when you complete that set-up. I have the same car and would like to know how it is before i tweak my suspension. I've read here that bilstien sport and H&R give the touring a negative rake. Not interested in having my car look like an old benz 300d wagon.
ParadigmShift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:34 AM   #17
White_Knuckles

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaboo0m View Post
he is spoiled by the luxuries of lexus suspensions (his previous car was a gs300 before giving it to my mother). Now he needs a car and I don't want him to piss his money on another so I am giving him my XI while I drive my e30.

He hated driving my car when I had my Dinan suspension so I sold the springs and got stock springs. It still wasn't enough for him even at the softest setting no do I blame him. Ultimately, he should service his car to his liking so if that means OEM specs to retain comfort. That's fine. I rather he spend $800 bucks on new struts than to purchase another car for $10k-20k
You're a great brother. I see he's a toughy to please. I keep reading the Koni's, on the softest settings, are close or equal to factory setup. Guess that's not exactly a winner in this case.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:53 AM   #18
kaboo0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_Knuckles View Post
You're a great brother. I see he's a toughy to please. I keep reading the Koni's, on the softest settings, are close or equal to factory setup. Guess that's not exactly a winner in this case.
hah thanks for the kind words we are in no position to splurge per say so i'm making do with what we can. Consider his job requires a lot of client interaction and perhaps shuttling them around, the car should be as comfy as possible. I even sold my dinan exhaust and went back to stock to keep the noise level down
Old 06-26-2012, 01:10 PM   #19
EDWAGON

My Ride: 2004 325xiT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadigmShift View Post
Edwagon - Let me know when you complete that set-up. I have the same car and would like to know how it is before i tweak my suspension. I've read here that bilstien sport and H&R give the touring a negative rake. Not interested in having my car look like an old benz 300d wagon.

Spoke to my Indy said springs last a long time and he wouldnt change them if I'm ok with ride height. I think I may just not mess with it and just change struts and shocks with oem. And leave springs in if they are ok.
EDWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:39 PM   #20
ParadigmShift

My Ride: E46 XiT
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDWAGON View Post
Spoke to my Indy said springs last a long time and he wouldnt change them if I'm ok with ride height. I think I may just not mess with it and just change struts and shocks with oem. And leave springs in if they are ok.

Yeah Ed, that's where I am. If I could get the height to stock 325i touring with sports package I would. But it would have to be a straight bolt on and ride (alignment of course). So I am going to go with Bilstein OEM to stifin it where it is. Replacing camber plates, trimming bump stops, choppin front springs to maintain positive rake, and adjustments to traction control for toe in is way too much to do to a car referred to as the "ultimate driving machine". I will upgrade on failure....but for now at 80k miles the ride and ride height is cool with me.

Last edited by ParadigmShift; 06-26-2012 at 01:43 PM.
ParadigmShift is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
koni, suspension, xi