E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-26-2012, 11:45 AM   #1
alexxander.foster

My Ride: 2000 323i
MS42 DME Pin Mapping...

I want to start the process of mapping the pins of the MS42 DME. I've tried using http://wds.spaghetticoder.org/ but i'm not finding enough information about what the pins are controlling/receiving.

My goal is to see how different the MS42 and MS43 really are once they interface with the engine. If they match up close enough, I want to start a write-up on upgrading to the MS43 WITHOUT a wiring harness swap -just moving the pins around as needed and hooking up the few necessary engine parts. Of course this is an oversimplification of the swap, i'll likely need to develop some external circuitry, but you get the idea.

Is anyone willing to lend a hand sifting through all of the data?
alexxander.foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:15 PM   #2
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
I was looking at this a while back. So for the most part, connectors X60001, X60002, and X60005 are identical. (X60001 on the M52TU has an extra +12V supply, which can probably be discarded).

For X60003 and X60004 are where the real differences lie, I think it's a little "easier" to look at the diagrams rather than the tables - since the abbreviations are actually somewhat more descriptive than the table values.

For example, X60003/Pin 9 on the MS42 corresponds to "Signal Driver's Wish Sensor 2" - this would correspond to one of the pedal position sensors on X60004, but the signals aren't numbered in the MS43 table.

Now if you go to the diagram for MS42 "Module 3" - you'll find that Pin 9 corresponds to "A_FWG2" - now go to MS43 "Module 4" and you'll find "A_FWG2" sits on Pin 13 - which is indeed one of the pedal position sensor signals.

It will be a pain to go back and forth between the diagrams, but I do think you should be able to figure out which pins to swap with them