E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-26-2011, 08:37 PM   #21
tommytoyz

My Ride: 1999 e46 323i
Thanks guys...........One thing though, the Pelican write up does not install the intake and exhaust manifolds outside the car. The exhaust manifolds are left in the car and the intake manifold is removed early on from the head. The head is then removed and installed alone. Is the E46 different? His is a write up on a e39 but with an M52 engine.

Wardpower, how difficult was it to install the time serts? How many bolt threads were bad?

Also any ideas where I can rent the BMW tools needed?
tommytoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:05 PM   #22
wardpower

My Ride: 99' 328i Sedan
4 of them pulled and the other 10 had been heli-coiled by whoever rebuilt the engine before me, that's why I needed the big sert kit. It was easy once I bought a large tap wrench and rented a 1/2" chuck right angle drill.
wardpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:06 PM   #23
wardpower

My Ride: 99' 328i Sedan
I have every tool you might need to do a head job on a BMW to rent out.
wardpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:35 PM   #24
tommytoyz

Excellent. I'll be using the next week to prepare for this job. Need to make room in my garage and read up. Please send me a PM with your contact info for the tools. Thanks so much...
Old 05-30-2011, 10:18 AM   #25
hoveringuy

My Ride: e30
I have over 20,000 miles on my 30mm flush repair now. No problems, Zero coolant consumption.
hoveringuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:10 AM   #26
tommytoyz

I just made a weird discovery. Some of the bolts holding the Cams in place were loose. Very loose. Some more than others and two seem to have their studs no longer holding any torque. A miracle my engine ran that way with one nut on the intake cam loose and one on the exhaust cam loose, cylinders 2 and 6. You could turn them with your fingers. I haven't even tried unbolting the head bolts yet. Has anyone experienced that? can a past overheat do this? OR maybe someone over/under torqued those bolts in the past.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:15 AM   #27
amdspitfire

My Ride: 328is, 330cic, 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommytoyz View Post
I just made a weird discovery. Some of the bolts holding the Cams in place were loose. Very loose. Some more than others and two seem to have their studs no longer holding any torque. A miracle my engine ran that way with one nut on the intake cam loose and one on the exhaust cam loose, cylinders 2 and 6. You could turn them with your fingers. I haven't even tried unbolting the head bolts yet. Has anyone experienced that? can a past overheat do this? OR maybe someone over/under torqued those bolts in the past.
mine were all tight, just make sure you check the cam journals might have got some excessive wear in them.
amdspitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:02 AM   #28
tommytoyz

CAM journals? what's that? I am pulling up the studs on the ones that wont hold torque. They just keep coming up as I try to tighten the bolts on those. Never heard of this.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:03 AM   #29
tommytoyz

Also is the head of a 323i interchangeable with that from a 328i both using the M52TU engines? I see a cheap one.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:07 AM   #30
tommytoyz

Is the cylinder head of a 323i interchangeable with that from a 328i? I am concerned my head is dead. I haven't even reomved it yet but I did find that a few bolts holding down the cams were finger loose. On two now, I tried tightening them up a bit and they won't hold any torque. The studs just semm to rise up as I try to tighten the bolts. I'm not liking this. Anyone care to comment? Also about the 328i head fitting on a 323i both wit M52TU engines.

Last edited by tommytoyz; 06-07-2011 at 02:33 AM.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:00 AM   #31
james@Jlevi SW
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 330cic
Quote:
CAM journals? what's that? I am pulling up the studs on the ones that wont hold torque. They just keep coming up as I try to tighten the bolts on those. Never heard of this.

Quote:
Also is the head of a 323i interchangeable with that from a 328i both using the M52TU engines? I see a cheap one.
I believe they are, check real oem for pn's
james@Jlevi SW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:44 PM   #32
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Quote:
You don't have to pull the head for this, but you will need to pull a lot of stuff off to fix this.

What you need is an M7 helicoil kit.

The bad news is that unless you have a spare complete head, you are going to have to buy the complete cam tray from your BMW dealership. They don't just sell the cam caps.
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:17 PM   #33
tommytoyz

Well I need to pull the head due to a Gasket/Head leakanyway.

The bolts for the cams are threaded into the Bearing ledge or Cam tray as you call it? I hope the studs can be helicoiled back into the tray and I am really scratching my head on how something like this can even happen.

I can only imagine someone over torqued them in before, or the head bent and deformed way out of shape. The water leak wasn't that catastrophic and started slow before getting worse and the engine never overheated on me. So I find it hard to believe the studs were pulled out due to deformation. But what do I know.

Can a machine shop heicoil those? Never done that. Matter of fact never done a head removal, but it's going fine so far.
Thanks guys
Old 06-07-2011, 01:29 PM   #34
tommytoyz

The cam Caps screw onto studs that are attached to the head itself. I just hope my head is not warped into a pretzel and that it was some bozo who over torqued. We'll see
Old 02-19-2012, 05:17 PM   #35
95m3ltw

My Ride: 330CicZHP 325iTZSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoveringuy View Post
I did it 300 miles ago. Baum will sell you the 25mm inserts, I wouldn't use those.

Get the 30mm inserts direct from TimeSert.

Good to go so far.

Bumping this just for a update for those that might search in the future.

Do NOT use the 30mm or 10mm, the 24.5 is the correct timesert to use.

Why you may ask? the 30 or 10 I believe install the timesert flush with the block which is not the correct method for proper clamping strength. The factory recesses the threads 6mm I believe which results in the clamping forces being distributed more evenly into the surrounding metal vs just a small area if flush mounted. The first 3-5 threads provide most of the strength for the head bolt thus if you have flush mounted the timesert, it is in the weakest area of the block. 6-7mm deeper can make a huge difference in the strength of the threads.

Just sharing that tidbit of info and the reason why the factory threads are recessed into the block. Ask any Mechanical Engineer and they can explain the details better than my layman's terms above.

I've seen the 30 and 10 fail after a year or two, have yet to see a 24.5 fail.
95m3ltw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:55 AM   #36
lcuminato

My Ride: 99 BMW 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95m3ltw View Post
Bumping this just for a update for those that might search in the future.

Do NOT use the 30mm or 10mm, the 24.5 is the correct timesert to use.

Why you may ask? the 30 or 10 I believe install the timesert flush with the block which is not the correct method for proper clamping strength. The factory recesses the threads 6mm I believe which results in the clamping forces being distributed more evenly into the surrounding metal vs just a small area if flush mounted. The first 3-5 threads provide most of the strength for the head bolt thus if you have flush mounted the timesert, it is in the weakest area of the block. 6-7mm deeper can make a huge difference in the strength of the threads.

Just sharing that tidbit of info and the reason why the factory threads are recessed into the block. Ask any Mechanical Engineer and they can explain the details better than my layman's terms above.

I've seen the 30 and 10 fail after a year or two, have yet to see a 24.5 fail.
Sorry for bumping this, but I'm pretty sure I need to timesert one of my head holes, so looking hopelessly for help. My car was burning a lot of coolant and with multiple misfires, so first thing I thought was blown head gasket. While removing the head bolts I've notice that one of the bolts was not very tight, all the others were a hassle to remove, but this one was quite loose, on the exhaust size, close to cylinder 5. When I took the head off cylinder 5 was covered with coolant. This is quite strange because my gasket was in perfect condition and I took my head to a machine shop and the guy said it was perfect, not even warped. Is it common for the bolt to just get loose like this? The thing is that now I'm pretty much sure the threads for this hole is in bad conditions. What should I use for timesert? When you say 24.5, does it means the size of the bushing? And, do you have or do you know someone that has the kit for rental ?
I appreciate you help.
lcuminato is offline   Reply With Quote