E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2012, 11:33 PM   #41
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thotfulspot View Post
Nice looking car. What lights do you have on the rear. I've got the silver grey metallic with the factory M-Tech II on it and I'm trying to decide on lighting.
I wish I could say that was my car. It belongs to SNA777.

Anyway, from what I gather he has OEM RCR tail lights, clear side and corner markers. Really looks good with the silver-grey I think.

I also have RCR tail lights, clear side and corner indicators as well, and I too have silver-grey metallic paint. I think it's a great combination, but amber also looks good on A08:

1999 Techno Violet Metallic BMW M3
2005 Audi B6 S4 quattro 6MT
2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:42 AM   #42
Imola.ZHP

My Ride: Imola ZHP
^ but amber on the front and clear in the back doesn't look right to me... All amber (except maybe the side markers) all clear, or all smoked. Maybe thats whats with the OP's opinion, maybe the backs are R/C/R or R/A/R and it looks funny to him...

I plan to swap them all clear for smoke on my car, and change them all to LED. Probably soon...

-- '03 330i ZHP
-- Marcus
Imola.ZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:07 AM   #43
coco savage

My Ride: 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola.ZHP View Post
^ but amber on the front and clear in the back doesn't look right to me... All amber (except maybe the side markers) all clear, or all smoked. Maybe thats whats with the OP's opinion, maybe the backs are R/C/R or R/A/R and it looks funny to him...

I plan to swap them all clear for smoke on my car, and change them all to LED. Probably soon...
agreed. all should match.

amber here, smoked there, clear over there....looks goofy

Random Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black107 View Post
he's just the resident off-topic ball breaker. Dont take it personally.
coco savage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:45 AM   #44
smolck

My Ride: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:

I've got these listed in the classifieds section if you want smoked. Great prices on BRAND NEW items. Never drove my car with these on it. I took them off. I like amber.

Check my Youtube channel for DIY's and fun stuff
http://www.youtube.com/user/flipfinish?feature=mhee
smolck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:11 PM   #45
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

Quote:

Two different cars. Also, that photo of the rear of mine with the snow on the ground was when I had RCR tails and ambers everywhere else. I was stilling waiting on the rest of the lenses to arrive. For the most part I agree, I think the car should have a uniform theme.

Clear:

Amber:

2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

Last edited by tock172; 07-02-2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:13 PM   #46
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
I have lightly smoked front corners, OEM clear side markers, and aftermarket clear LED turn signals.. I like the combo (reference sig)

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:39 PM   #47
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by coco savage View Post
lol i know what they are....i was just noting what i prefer.

and honestly money saver paint amber bulbs partly silver. same effect and much cheaper
Not really. Painting a bulb (even a really light coat) will reduce the light output. Not something I find acceptable for what's supposed to be a warning mechanism to other drivers.

The coating on the silvervision itself is somewhat reactive to light (or something - you'd see what I mean if you actually look at the bulbs while they're lighting up), so they're actually slightly brighter (very slightly, mind you) than the standard amber bulbs. Also unlike other stealth bulbs, they light up a proper amber color. Not the darker orange you get out of generic chrome bulbs.

I've tried every possible type of stealth bulb. These are the only ones I'm satisfied with. Since turn signal bulbs rarely go bad, I don't mind spending $20 on a pair.

The point is, those are the only stealth bulbs that you can buy where you sacrifice nothing. Except money I guess

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 07-02-2012 at 02:43 PM.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:50 PM   #48
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
Not really. Painting a bulb (even a really light coat) will reduce the light output. Not something I find acceptable for what's supposed to be a warning mechanism to other drivers.

The coating on the silvervision itself is somewhat reactive to light (or something - you'd see what I mean if you actually look at the bulbs while they're lighting up), so they're actually slightly brighter (very slightly, mind you) than the standard amber bulbs. Also unlike other stealth bulbs, they light up a proper amber color. Not the darker orange you get out of generic chrome bulbs.

I've tried every possible type of stealth bulb. These are the only ones I'm satisfied with. Since turn signal bulbs rarely go bad, I don't mind spending $20 on a pair.

The point is, those are the only stealth bulbs that you can buy where you sacrifice nothing. Except money I guess
I have heard and seen on realOEM that BMW makes a kit of chrome bulbs that illuminate amber. Have you tried these?

2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

Old 07-02-2012, 02:54 PM   #49
TerraPhantm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tock172 View Post
I have heard and seen on realOEM that BMW makes a kit of chrome bulbs that illuminate amber. Have you tried these?
I didn't actually buy them, but I looked at one of the bulbs at a dealer. They're rebranded Philips Silvervision bulbs (They actually have Philips PY21W SV stamped on the base iirc). VW sells them for a little less ($10/bulb from some online VW dealers, or about $16/bulb locally). Or you can find them on Amazon/Motivemods in Philips retail boxes for about $25 shipped or so (they have to be imported from the UK since for some reason they're not sold retail in the US)

The BMW kit does include the little sidemarker bulbs, but those are kinda crappy. They're basically regular bulbs with a thick coat of paint on the edge. You're better off getting the generics for those (or I find that the sidemarkers are so frosted that the yellow doesn't really show threw anyway)

I should note that in extremely bright sun at the right angle, you can sort of see some yellow peak through, but 99% of the time the corners look perfectly silver. I'm not willing to sacrifice what seems like 50% of the light to make it look silver that 1% of the time

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 07-03-2012 at 09:38 AM.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:55 PM   #50
ac_2007

My Ride: 2004 M3, 2001 325i
I have smoked corners, and the ones pictured in the original post are much darker.

Clears for the facelift look much better (didn't read 3 pages to see if you already chose this route)
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:57 PM   #51
ac_2007

My Ride: 2004 M3, 2001 325i
Also, my $9 chrome-amber turn signal bulbs, I highly recommend them:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=120910172407
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:17 PM   #52
coco savage

My Ride: 325i
Quote:

so you went from saying not really, to then listing a sacrifice and noting you never even bought the lights you suggested? lol

the light output doesn't diminish enough where the light is useless for its intended purpose.

to each their own.

Random Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black107 View Post
he's just the resident off-topic ball breaker. Dont take it personally.

Last edited by coco savage; 07-02-2012 at 04:19 PM.
coco savage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:41 AM   #53
TerraPhantm

Quote:
Originally Posted by coco savage View Post
so you went from saying not really, to then listing a sacrifice and noting you never even bought the lights you suggested? lol

the light output doesn't diminish enough where the light is useless for its intended purpose.

to each their own.
I said I didn't buy the BMW branded ones - I'm running a set that came in Philips boxes. I didn't buy the BMW ones because I saw right there that they were rebranded Philips bulbs and I thought I'd save myself some money. They're the same damn bulbs.

And like I said, I've tried every type of stealth bulb, including a light coat of silver paint. Everything but the silvervisioins were useless on a bright day. I'm not going to take the chance that someone won't see my signals to save $10-20.

And what sacrifice are you referring to? The fact that you can see a lilttle bit of yellow in extremely bright light at the right angle? Well that's true of generic and DIY stealth bulbs too, so it's not really a sacrifice.

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 07-03-2012 at 09:45 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:55 AM   #54
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
I love my 100% stock run-of-the-mill amber bulbs. No need to spice or teen things up with coatings and paintings, etc. That $15 is better spent on a new air filter. I agree that indicators should not be painted over. All lenses should be free of any additional coatings and/or paintings (unless clear or what not)

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:32 AM   #55
TerraPhantm

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
I love my 100% stock run-of-the-mill amber bulbs. No need to spice or teen things up with coatings and paintings, etc. That $15 is better spent on a new air filter. I agree that indicators should not be painted over. All lenses should be free of any additional coatings and/or paintings (unless clear or what not)
Idk man, I'm not a fan of the egg-yolk look. A set of Osram/Sylvania amber bulbs costs about $10 from autozone/pepboys/advanced. So for if I could have my car look how I want it for $15 extra without sacrificing any light output (in fact, they look brighter to my eyes... I'll see if I could confirm that), then that's well worth it to me.

Btw these bulbs come stock on the E83 X3

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 07-03-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:38 AM   #56
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Idk man, I'm not a fan of the egg-yolk look. A set of Osram/Sylvania amber bulbs costs about $10 from autozone/pepboys/advanced. So for $15 if I could have my car look how I want it without sacrificing any light output (in fact, they look brighter to my eyes... I'll see if I could confirm that), then that's well worth it to me.
I love the OE-styled look of having amber indicators. Too much clear in the front looks bad IMO. Looks like one is trying too hard to be Euro. It's like when you see those cars where the body shop resprayed the entire front end in white... grills.. everything. all one color. It kinda sorta looks like my car has ambers. ..

Or here with the ugly black grills and AEs I used to have =/

OVER A MILLION VIEWS

Last edited by Mango; 07-03-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:45 AM   #57
TerraPhantm

Quote:
I love the OE-styled look of having amber indicators. Too much clear in the front looks bad IMO. Looks like one is trying too hard to be Euro. It's like when you see those cars where the body shop resprayed the entire front end in white... grills.. everything. all one color. It kinda sorta looks like my car has ambers. ..

Or here with the ugly black grills and AEs I used to have =/

My car's black/blue. I like the monochromatic look. And coupe corners with amber bulbs seriously look like sunny side up eggs.

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 07-03-2012 at 11:54 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:48 AM   #58
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Yeah the coupes have huge corners. I'm sure the whole lamp doesn't look uniform since its so big.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 07-03-2012, 11:56 AM   #59
TerraPhantm

Quote:
Yeah the coupes have huge corners. I'm sure the whole lamp doesn't look uniform since its so big.
Yeah, the issue is two fold. The coupe corners are larger, and they're also frosted. Since te sedans just have clear plastic and a reflective surface inside, they tend to look uniform.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:03 PM   #60
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Yes I agree. Was gonna bring up the frosted part. Just scatters everything awkwardly if theres amber in there. Like an oil painting or something

OVER A MILLION VIEWS