E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 388 votes, 4.98 average.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:52 AM   #2781
ranjithv

My Ride: E46 325i
Jeff - I need your help badly here. I just got installed a D99 WinCE 6 unit which I bought from ebay. After reading a lot of forums I felt that it could be a mistake. Ok, keeping that thought aside, my bluetooth gets connected with my iPhone 4 properly and I can do everything on it except that when I make / receive calls, the iPhone does not stream the audio thru bluetooth to the speakers. I did try the -><- buttons to do "audio change" but no luck yet. Can you help me here??

I had an earlier issue with iGO 8 where an error occurred. I'm planning to get iGO primo installed this week. Things are really frustrating and even thought of buying it from you and returning the one I have. Please help meeeeeeeeeeee.............
ranjithv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:54 AM   #2782
ranjithv

My Ride: E46 325i
forgot to mention, I'm the one who ordered the backup camera and hvac a/c relocation kit this week
ranjithv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:10 PM   #2783
fubar84

My Ride: '07 3 Series
D99 Android, no SD Card

Hi guys, I've recently grabbed a bargain used D99 from ebay (we don't seem to have a wonder salesman like Jeff in UK) and it hasn't come with an SD Card.

From what I understand through reading through the piles of info on this site, I can format certain types of SD card to run as a boot disk, and have ordered a recommended 32GB card.

What I'd like to ask is: Once I've partitioned and updated my unit with the latest firmware, can I re-format it to use as storage for maps, media etc?

Put another way, am I missing anything by not having the original Dynavin SD card?

I've also found the thread about the android mods/hacks etc. I'd be grateful if someone could point me in the direction of a link that explains what these mods actually do rather than just where to download them from.

Thanks in advance and apologies for such a long first post,

Ben
fubar84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:02 AM   #2784
tcfuk

My Ride: Rover 75
Ipod & Iphone

Should the D95 unit charge a Ipod or Iphone directly from the unit when connected by the head unit lead?
tcfuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:45 PM   #2785
gavi

My Ride: BMW 330Ci sport 6MT
Does anyone using it already? what are your suggestions? advises ? cons and pros ...
E46 330 ci harman kardon (will Dynavin reduce the audio quality?)

is it working with an iPhone 4 from Verizon wireless? any problems?

Thanks

Last edited by gavi; 07-04-2012 at 06:46 PM. Reason: incomplete
gavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:39 AM   #2786
MIII.

My Ride: E38, E60, E92
Has anyone got this Sony 6.5" LCD installed? It seems really good considering I'll be able to keep the OEM Navi look.

MIII. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:51 AM   #2787
eug

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
Whew, I just read through the last 25 pages, from around when the D99 was announced. I'm interested in the Android version, but have some questions. Hopefully I didn't miss them, I don't want the wrath of Darkoz to come upon me!

When the engine is turned on, the unit will start up in radio mode. I assume this is when my phone will be automatically connected to the Parrot bluetooth system for voice calls, and my iPod will also automatically start playing, with auto-resume from the last position. The steering wheel controls will work as expected.. volume up/down, prev/next track, voice button to answer the phone.

What happens when I hit the Navi button and hop over to Android? Will the steering wheel phone and ipod controls still work the same? Volume will still control the overall level of the unit so that should be unchanged, unless I'm mistaken. The bluetooth connection to my phone (for voice calls, not streaming audio!) should work the same I assume?

Can the head unit be configured to auto-start Android when switched on?

Is there a compass for Google Maps, or does it use GPS for orientation?

Are the viewing angles decent? Is the glare problem that bad?

And lastly... is there any news on the grapevine of a D100 coming anytime?

Thanks!

Last edited by eug; 07-05-2012 at 03:32 AM.
eug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:03 PM   #2788
randylep

My Ride: E46
I bought the d99 about a little while back from Jeff. Mere hours before he left on his trip. He had it here in Austin to replace my carpc days later. Jeff does great work supporting people, even ones that didn't buy their unit from him. I haven't bugged him yet, thought I would see about getting answers here before using up his valuable time. Between work, vacation, having to pull out the carpc that was there, and eveything else, I am just now getting all the android software set up. It is a big step up from the original radio in my 2005 m3. The hardware seems to be good, but there seems to be several features (bugs) that are annoying. *First I should say that depending on the day I may be driving my suv (utility), m3 (fun car), or motorcycle (more fun). Even on the motorcycle I have a bluetooth intercom so I can stream podcasts from my phone. This is nice in that with one podcast player I can download and organize all my podcasts. Having multiple podcast players makes for more work to keep track of what I have listened to. I have read the entire thread on the d99 and the 139+ pades on the andoid side. Here's my understanding of the limitations of the d99 that I hope someone can help me with:

1) Bluetooth audio streams through the parrot phone hardware. The audio sounds good, but anytime I go into reverse it switchs back to the phone. This has been discussed may times. To fix this would require a radio side firmware update that is never expected from dynavin as I understand it.

2) I like to have the maps up while driving. Anytime I swith to the android side to look at maps the bluetooth audio stops. As I understand it, that's just the way the harware works. I don't know the hardware, it might be true, or might be able to be fixed with a radio firmware update. *Since radio, phone, and other audio will still play while on android side, I think it should be a firmware fix. Even if it could be fixed by radio firmware, it's not expected it from dynavin.

3) I tried installing a usb bluetooth on the android side. There seems to be a partial driver there. It was able to pair with my phone, but not actually connect. If I could get a bluetooth audio working on the andriod side, it would fix both issues above. But again, don't count on it from dynavin. It looks like if you have the correct bluetooth adapter it will work. The claim is that the Sabrent bt dongle works with the Dynavins. Does it work on the d99, or was it only tested on the d95? I bought one and can't get it to work.

4) I am currently using a podcast player on the dynavine to play podacsts, but again the reverse issue always switchs it back to radio when coming out of reverse. At least when using the podcast player on the dynavin, I just have to touch the nav button and it's back. Yet another "feature" of the firmware.

5) For some reason my wifi keeps disconnecting. I do have it connected through a powered usb hub. Can that be causing an issue? Any other ideas why my wifi may keep dropping? I can always reconnect after a few tries. It drops whether I am using my phone, home wifi, or other hotspot.

6) When using the ipod connector, I get some whine when it changes songs. After about five seconds after the song starts the whine goes away. Just a wierd issue. Actually it only seems to happen with my version 2 ipod, the only actual ipod I have. With my ipad it doesn't happen, so is probably not a dynavin issue.

7) I have a convertable, so the sun washes out the display during the day. I expected this, but still need to get a glare shield/screen protecter to help with this. I forgot to mark it, but didn't I read that you can push in one of the knobs and adjust the screen brightness? I think that was not the d99, so maybe that feature is gone. *I can't seem to find a brightness/contrast adjust. Of course holding the "mode" button dims the display, but that is for night viewing.

8) The distance doesn't show on the display when I have the reverse camera on. As I understand it, this is a function of the camera. I searched to try and figure out what camera would show this. Any recomendatations on a camrea that will show the distance for my m3?

It sounds like I don't like the d99, but it is decent hardware and a decent system overall. Jeff does a great job of helping the people on the forum, it's dynavin that doesn't provide firemware updates, or support, but I thought I would throw my issues out for everyone to comment on, before bugging him and using up more of his precious time.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Randy
randylep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:40 PM   #2789
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
Hi Randy.....Im back in town and Im swamped so thanks for respecting my time....BUT ill try to help you where I can. Mostly it sounds like you have a pretty good understanding of things but I kind of disagree with the "Dynavin support" stuff so I want to make a point of clarification for future readers of this thread.....Dynavin depends on thier dealers to do most of their customer support (as most manufactures do) so your experience will vary with your dealer, and there are limits to what can or cant be done with firmware changes, it is my opinion that many peoples expectations of what is possible with firmware is not very consistent with the limitations of the hardware.

Now for your questions, the ones I can help you with at least:

1) Bluetooth audio streams through the parrot phone hardware. The audio sounds good, but anytime I go into reverse it switchs back to the phone. This has been discussed may times. To fix this would require a radio side firmware update that is never expected from dynavin as I understand it.

PDC is enabled by default, this function can be removed by changing the ibus box programming, email me for the alternate programming.

3) I tried installing a usb bluetooth on the android side. There seems to be a partial driver there. It was able to pair with my phone, but not actually connect. If I could get a bluetooth audio working on the andriod side, it would fix both issues above. But again, don't count on it from dynavin. It looks like if you have the correct bluetooth adapter it will work. The claim is that the Sabrent bt dongle works with the Dynavins. Does it work on the d99, or was it only tested on the d95? I bought one and can't get it to work.

You should also ask this on the M3Evolution ROM thread as those guys are all moding their units and adding bluetooth to the android side.

5) For some reason my wifi keeps disconnecting. I do have it connected through a powered usb hub. Can that be causing an issue? Any other ideas why my wifi may keep dropping? I can always reconnect after a few tries. It drops whether I am using my phone, home wifi, or other hotspot.

Cant help you here, using a hub, too many variables, again maybe ask on the other thread as this is related to question #3

6) When using the ipod connector, I get some whine when it changes songs. After about five seconds after the song starts the whine goes away. Just a wierd issue. Actually it only seems to happen with my version 2 ipod, the only actual ipod I have. With my ipad it doesn't happen, so is probably not a dynavin issue.

Some ipods are noisier than others, this is fairly common.

LATEST DYNAVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044105
DYNAVIN FAQ:http://www.jandtdistributing.com/pages/faq-links
///AVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1015704
TO BUY http://jandtdistributing.com
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:46 PM   #2790
J&T Distributing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjithv View Post
Jeff - I need your help badly here. I just got installed a D99 WinCE 6 unit which I bought from ebay. After reading a lot of forums I felt that it could be a mistake. Ok, keeping that thought aside, my bluetooth gets connected with my iPhone 4 properly and I can do everything on it except that when I make / receive calls, the iPhone does not stream the audio thru bluetooth to the speakers. I did try the -><- buttons to do "audio change" but no luck yet. Can you help me here??

I had an earlier issue with iGO 8 where an error occurred. I'm planning to get iGO primo installed this week. Things are really frustrating and even thought of buying it from you and returning the one I have. Please help meeeeeeeeeeee.............
hard to say....but it sounds like your iphone isnt directing audio to the right place, can you stream music audio? It might be something as simple as deleting the pairing on the phone, do a hard reboot on the iphone and re-pair the phone.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:27 PM   #2791
randylep

My Ride: E46
Quote:

PDC is enabled by default, this function can be removed by changing the ibus box programming, email me for the alternate programming.
My M3 has PCDs installed and I would prefer to keep that functionality. I have also connected my phone through the "AUX" port and that keeps playing when switching into reverse. Maybe that will be my final solution, although I would prefer a wireless one.

Quote:
You should also ask this on the M3Evolution ROM thread as those guys are all moding their units and adding bluetooth to the android side.
I had found the "Dynavin ANDROID - Hacking & Development" thread, but not the "M3Evolution ROM" thread. Looks like some good info there. I'll check it out.

Thanks for the quick response.
randylep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:41 PM   #2792
J&T Distributing

As it stands now, when you put the car in reverse it will go back to the last selected source (but bluetooth is not a "source" as its primary function is phone calls, is a separate piece of hardware within the device, and is treated as a separate entity by the device). So after putting the car in reverse and using the PDC you either have to press the right side knob to go back to bluetooth, OR dont use bluetooth at all and use the AUX IN instead, then it will automatically go back to AUX and whatever you were listening to prior to going in reverse. Sounds like you already understand this so Im just responding to confirm that you DO have an understanding of you options and so future readers of this thread understand the options.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:53 PM   #2793
MrEmitter

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Wow for $899 I thought I would never consider buying a dynavin after previous research describing how annoying the software /os of the system is. After seeing that video of your dynavin android I am sold. Unfortunately I can't buy the system at the moment. However, I am now going to start saving up for that system. I am hoping that I'll be able to buy my own sometime before the next summer. Thanks Jeff.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:01 PM   #2794
live2ride090

My Ride: 2002 M3 E46
No Software Updates?

So no updates since 12-9-2011, I guess they think the system is good enough now? Kind of disappointing they dont release new better revisions of the Android software like they do for phones...
live2ride090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:31 PM   #2795
ricardobolder

My Ride: Bmw e46 Convertible
Hello People,

I have a question and i hope that someone can help me with this problem because i try to solve this problem for a very long long time.....

I have a bmw e46 with a dynavin console with android on it, the problem is that the andorid section doesnt work anymore because i formated the sd card for new files.....

I already contacted the dealer in my country but they al asking 60 for the sd card with navigation software on it... and the distance between they and me is to large.

Who can help me with this problem to make a new sd card for the dynavin?

Or some other software to make it work haha

Last edited by ricardobolder; 07-26-2012 at 07:32 PM.
ricardobolder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:56 PM   #2796
NeptuneTurner

My Ride: E53
D99 Windows CE version purchased in July 2012. I admit I'm in the "get acquainted" part of my relationship with the D99.

A few questions:

(1) I cannot get current time to display when in Nav mode. I downloaded a sygic manual (not sure which one was appropriate but...) and the kinda-sorta indicates that time can be displayed in the lower blacked out area of the Nav screen by navigating through settings -> advanced settings. When I try to get to this setting control panel it is in fact, not there. Any suggestions?

(2) The nav system seems to auto zoom in and out depending on vehicle speed. Does anyone know how to enable/disable this feature?

(3) The navigation tracking of my vehicle is slower than my old DVD-based system. I was not expecting this. Are there any configuration settings I could look at that might be causing this?

(4) I was expecting radio reception comparable to the OEM Nav/radio system and my expectations have not been met. I will check the antenna cable installation but was wondering is this common?

Thanks for listening.
NeptuneTurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:46 AM   #2797
E46Enthusiast20
Modded ///Member

My Ride: 2008 135i M-Sport
This unit it complete junk. The worst $800 I have ever spent. Why would a company sell crap that doesnt even work properly. It makes no sense. It's like buying a new M3 and as soon as you leave the lot the ses light comes on and the car glitches out and shuts down on you. BMW looks and you and says tough luck thanks for the money sucks to be you.

-This thing is so frustrating. The audio on every setting skips or bounces every 5 seconds. (Radio, USB, NAV, AUX).

-The Android side doesn't even look like it even tries to start just a blank screen.

-When i have my phone hooked up using AUX. The screen says "no signal".

Clearly the thing is hooked up and is playing though the speakers in the car.

-When I shut the system off my subs give off a second of just bass.

I was so happy with this thing until these issues started.

I have uninstalled and installed this unit numerous of times and the same things happen. The connections are all correct.

My hellrot sedan thread.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...382&highlight=
E46Enthusiast20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:56 AM   #2798
Gene110

My Ride: 2003 330i
I agree this unit looks good in the dash but its a total piece of ****!!!!! When I had it installed the tech told me that I will be removing the unit within 3 months. The Bluetooth is not working now, the remote controller sucks, the screen goes black or it starts to flash on and off, you can't operate the IPod to program the songs that you want to ply, the graphics suck, etc etc etc. This is the worst money that I've ever spent....I totally regret it. So if you're looking for a unit buy something else.....
This is my baby, I have her 9 yrs now. Getting ready to change the front bumper and putting new CSL's and Goodyear F1 Asymetric 2 tires. I installed Dynavin D99 Android stereo this month, just received it. Looks great....
Gene110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:01 PM   #2799
Gene110

My Ride: 2003 330i
Buyer beware

[QUOTstreE=MrEmitter;14551068]Wow for $899 I thought I would never consider buying a dynavin after previous research describing how annoying the software /os of the system is. After seeing that video of your dynavin android I am sold. Unfortunately I can't buy the system at the moment. However, I am now going to start saving up for that system. I am hoping that I'll be able to buy my own sometime before the next summer. Thanks Jeff.[/QUOTE]

Hey guy I too was very excited like you but don't waste your money get something better. We are all experiencing issues with the unit and for $900 plus installation you don't need the stress and disappointment. Good luck.
This is my baby, I have her 9 yrs now. Getting ready to change the front bumper and putting new CSL's and Goodyear F1 Asymetric 2 tires. I installed Dynavin D99 Android stereo this month, just received it. Looks great....
Gene110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:03 PM   #2800
E46Enthusiast20
Modded ///Member

My Ride: 2008 135i M-Sport
I'm trying to find the latest firmware for this thing but all the links are dead. Even the files from Dynavin's website! Some company....

Jeff don't get upset or anything with my comments its nothing to do with you. Its the company. You have my 101% support. Your great at what you do and what you know about this product. I should have got the WINCE. But now its too late and im going to have to deal with it.

$800 and a hard working week lesson.

My hellrot sedan thread.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...382&highlight=
E46Enthusiast20 is offline   Reply With Quote