E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-27-2012, 11:09 PM   #21
SLVRgrau

My Ride: 330 Ci '05 ZHP
After reading some suggestions and researching a bit, I've decided to go with the Dinan intake which should fit perfectly w/o any problems, and go for the Active Autowerke software upgrade. That should do it for now!
Old 06-28-2012, 01:14 PM   #22
johnrando

My Ride: '06 330 CIC ZHP
Some comments on a couple of different posts:

AFE: From what I've read, the AFE intake is a tough fit due to the xenons, so make sure you check that out.

My setup: I have the BMW Perf Intake, an AA tune, and a Sprint Booster. They all contribute small pieces as to how the car feels butt dyno but non of them is overwhelming. I like my AA tune but I don't think it's 15 hp gain. (Or maybe it is but you don't REALLY feel it). All three contribute to a better driving experience, throttle responsiveness. (Side note: power pulleys didn't seem to do anything for me).

@Jim - spot on with a modified 135. Friend has one and it absolutely blows away a 1M, over 400 HP... it's a beast!

STEP S/W: I'd love to get the STEP s/w but there really is no definitive answer on it, sounds like it's an incremental increase from what I've gather, just like the others. Eurocharged has a tune that also modifies the STEP... I would have gotten that one but I already had my AA tune. They (Dinan) just need to put that STEP s/w on sale as it's expensive. I've emailed Dinan asking about the STEP s/w with an AA tune and have never gotten a response.

ZHP, Cold Weather Pkg., Leather, Jet Black/Black/Black Cube, NAV
AA Tune, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf. Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan STEP S/W & TB, TMS Pulleys, H&R Touring Cup Kit
DICE Ipod, Parrot/Connects2 Bluetooth, StealthOne Valentine Module, Hardwired V1
BMW Perf. Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan delete

Last edited by johnrando; 06-28-2012 at 01:15 PM.
johnrando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:42 PM   #23
[USMC]Skywalker

My Ride: 2005 Tiag M3
If you are going with Dinan Intake why not just go with their software, it is probably designed well to work together. Just a thought
[USMC]Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:28 PM   #24
SLVRgrau

My Ride: 330 Ci '05 ZHP
I was considering having Dinan software as well, and it is $100.00 cheaper... AA software claims the 15 HP gain, but now that I've read rando's post, I may just forget AA and go for the Dinan software and $ave some Ca$h...... Thanks for the suggestion...
Old 06-28-2012, 07:48 PM   #25
johnrando

My Ride: '06 330 CIC ZHP
My guess is that most tunes are going to give you similar results... there's only so much you can do with these engines w/o adding headers or FI. I doubt Dinan is that different than AA, but again, just a guess. But, saving $100 is nothing to sneeze at so that might make sense. It certainly doesn't matter which tune you use with which intake, as the cars computer is going to adjust to whatever airflow it's sensors receive.

ZHP, Cold Weather Pkg., Leather, Jet Black/Black/Black Cube, NAV
AA Tune, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf. Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan STEP S/W & TB, TMS Pulleys, H&R Touring Cup Kit
DICE Ipod, Parrot/Connects2 Bluetooth, StealthOne Valentine Module, Hardwired V1
BMW Perf. Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan delete

Last edited by johnrando; 06-28-2012 at 07:49 PM.
johnrando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:26 PM   #26
[USMC]Skywalker

Gentlemen I finally got the Dinan Stage II in my car to maximize the use of my BMW Performance Intake. I emailed Dinan and told them my vehicle specs and they responded and told me if I already had a BMW Performance Intake I should get the stage II.
So far from driving around I can definitely feel the difference. The throttle lag is completely gone, I used my stepronic in manual mode and redlined it no problem (just twice I didnt want to ruin my engine) It accelerates much quicker even with a steptronic it was definitely noticeably faster. I was told by the Dinan service guy at Fairfax Service Center that if BMW ever reprogrammed my car for any purpose I can just bring it back to them and they will redo the Dinan Stage II software for free. He also told me that if I get the throttle body I would only have to pay the difference (100) to get a Stage III software.
I like it so far, can notice performance improvement but nothing like OMG!.
Hope this helps might get the Dinan exhaust and throttle body at sometime in the future

Last edited by [USMC]Skywalker; 07-05-2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:16 PM   #27
j_block

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by [USMC]Skywalker View Post
Gentleman I finally got the Dinan Stage II in my car to maximize the use of my BMW Performance Intake. I emailed Dinan and told them my vehicle specs and they responded and told me if I already had a BMW Performance Intake I should get the stage II.
So far from driving around I can definitely feel the difference. The throttle lag is completely gone, I used my stepronic in manual mode and redlined it no problem (just twice I didnt want to ruin my engine) It accelerates much quicker even with a steptronic it was definitely noticeably faster. I was told by the Dinan service guy at Fairfax Service Center that if BMW ever reprogrammed my car for any purpose I can just bring it back to them and they will redo the Dinan Stage II software for free. He also told me that if I get the throttle body I would only have to pay the difference (100) to get a Stage III software.
I like it so far, can notice performance improvement but nothing like OMG!.
Hope this helps might get the Dinan exhaust and throttle body at sometime in the future
How much was the stage II?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Bimmer App
Old 07-05-2012, 04:21 PM   #28
[USMC]Skywalker

399 + 30 minutes labor
Old 07-05-2012, 04:25 PM   #29
j_block

Quote:
399 + 30 minutes labor
So would it work with a dinan long tube instead of the bmw perf box or dinan box?

Old 07-05-2012, 04:33 PM   #30
[USMC]Skywalker

think so, are you talking about the cold air intake Dinan used to make for e46?
Old 07-05-2012, 04:37 PM   #31
j_block

Quote:
think so, are you talking about the cold air intake Dinan used to make for e46?
Yea I have this one

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1341524219634.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	459496  
Old 07-05-2012, 04:50 PM   #32
[USMC]Skywalker

Email Dinan and tell them what you have. They got back to me within 24 hours