E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2012, 12:36 AM   #21
doshu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: PA
Posts: 345
My Ride: E46 CI
Send a message via AIM to doshu
BMWs overheat very quickly when cooling system fails. Thats why its one of the priorities to maintain the cooling system. As far as being stranded, no more than being stranded with any other car. Thats what AAA is for anyways. The ride is worth all the DIYs though. These cars are not like Honda, you maintain they will not fail you and will be reliable as heck, you dont maintain it and it will throw code after code, when you fix one issue that one would have already started another one, etc.
doshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:43 AM   #22
BAMxi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 8
My Ride: 2007 TiAg 328xi e90
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325guy View Post
OP buying another car is also a chore and a hassle. I think you should "suffer" through you current BMW. The e46 is an older car so there are more parts that need replacing it is not different than any other car. The e46 however is vet easy to work on and the engineers had mechanics in mind as the placement of everything makes sense! I watched a Audi timing belt replacement and omg it looked awful. Like a seven hour job. Check out vw, Audi, and Volvo repairs...they suck and the engine compartment is impossible to work on. Just stick with what you have stop trying to complicate your life.
Yeah I know what you're saying about it being a hassle to sell, and all. But it's not that I'm suffering with my e90, it would be a move to an e46 to eliminate a car payment. And to let me concentrate my funds elsewhere for a while. Although I guess it's sounding like I wouldn't actually be able to concentrate my funds elsewhere, if I'm always working on my car.

And I absolutely agree with you about the VW/Audi maintenance. Wacky engineering in parts, and I've seen Audis have significant electrical problems. No thanks!
BAMxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:29 AM   #23
PML-E46
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: California, USA
Posts: 25
My Ride: 2003 BMW 325ci
E46's are cheap based on your location..CA? Forget it the prices are jacked up... Its a popular car round here so they bump up their prices regardless of the mileage. But otherwise .. I agree go E46 best bimmer made..
__________________
PML-E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 04:00 PM   #24
BAMxi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 8
My Ride: 2007 TiAg 328xi e90
Quote:
Originally Posted by PML-E46 View Post
E46's are cheap based on your location..CA? Forget it the prices are jacked up... Its a popular car round here so they bump up their prices regardless of the mileage. But otherwise .. I agree go E46 best bimmer made..
Yeah I'm looking locally here in Kansas City, but not finding anything good. I do a decent amount of traveling, though, so I'm also looking in areas I will be in soon.
BAMxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 04:27 PM   #25
EverydayGetaway
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 1,223
My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
Do it. If you want a drivers car the E46 is simply a better choice, even better than that I'd say go for an E36 M3 (flamesuit once again, on) if you just want something that gets you from point a to point be comfortably... why stick with BMW?
__________________
EverydayGetaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 04:31 PM   #26
MercForHire
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Toronto,Ontario
Posts: 4,417
My Ride: sold...
OP should just get a nice Honda Accord or Acura.
He doesn't seems to be the type with plenty of free time crawling under the car and E46 + paying mechanics for maintenance will easily cost him $5000 a year.
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:39 PM   #27
Pixxy
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Francisco Bay, CA
Posts: 159
My Ride: 2001 BMW 330CI
I would say if cost is your worry then how much longer will you be paying 350 a month and is it still under warranty?

350 X 12 = 4200 a year and if you are no longer under warranty then $$$$ for maintenance and repairs which will be at least as costly as the e46. If the car is almost paid off then i would stick with the e90.

The e46 will be costly at first but most parts you replace wont need attention for years and thousands of miles, maintenance can be done cheaply and easily. Depending on your state you may have to factor in sales tax and registration. Insurance should be cheaper.
Pixxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:42 PM   #28
Sunspot
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Stunt Road, CA
Posts: 116
My Ride: Sleektop 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixxy View Post
I would say if cost is your worry then how much longer will you be paying 350 a month and is it still under warranty?

350 X 12 = 4200 a year and if you are no longer under warranty then $$$$ for maintenance and repairs which will be at least as costly as the e46. If the car is almost paid off then i would stick with the e90.

The e46 will be costly at first but most parts you replace wont need attention for years and thousands of miles, maintenance can be done cheaply and easily. Depending on your state you may have to factor in sales tax and registration. Insurance should be cheaper.
This.
__________________
IMG_1l54hu2
Sunspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:00 PM   #29
Grande D
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dirty South
Posts: 3,376
My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Having several E90s in the family (and having considered buying one) I can say honestly that the E46 is a generation with more integrity than the E90.

I'd get a mint ZHP or other low mileage 330- don't settle for a smaller motor- and never look back. These cars will take care of you if you take care of them.

Don't go back to the E36, if you aren't a DIY person the E36 interior issues and the like will get to you.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:01 PM   #30
BAMxi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 8
My Ride: 2007 TiAg 328xi e90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixxy View Post
I would say if cost is your worry then how much longer will you be paying 350 a month and is it still under warranty?

350 X 12 = 4200 a year and if you are no longer under warranty then $$$$ for maintenance and repairs which will be at least as costly as the e46. If the car is almost paid off then i would stick with the e90.

The e46 will be costly at first but most parts you replace wont need attention for years and thousands of miles, maintenance can be done cheaply and easily. Depending on your state you may have to factor in sales tax and registration. Insurance should be cheaper.
Thanks. Yeah, I would be looking at paying on my car for about 2.5 to 3 more years, depending on how much additional money I pay beyond the minimum payment. And one of the benefits of doing this is my transition to self employment would be quicker, and should mean more free time (or at least flexibility) in my schedule, which would be good if I needed to do a repair. My biggest fear is having an issue on the e90 requiring a DIY or pro repair, while I'm also making the monthly payments. That's a lose-lose. So if I could find an e46 that would at least be as reliable over the next couple years, I'd be better off.

And as for the question about just getting a Honda Accord.....I'd just rather not.

Last edited by BAMxi; 07-07-2012 at 07:02 PM.
BAMxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:59 PM   #31
Pixxy
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Francisco Bay, CA
Posts: 159
My Ride: 2001 BMW 330CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMxi View Post
Thanks. Yeah, I would be looking at paying on my car for about 2.5 to 3 more years, depending on how much additional money I pay beyond the minimum payment. And one of the benefits of doing this is my transition to self employment would be quicker, and should mean more free time (or at least flexibility) in my schedule, which would be good if I needed to do a repair. My biggest fear is having an issue on the e90 requiring a DIY or pro repair, while I'm also making the monthly payments. That's a lose-lose. So if I could find an e46 that would at least be as reliable over the next couple years, I'd be better off.

And as for the question about just getting a Honda Accord.....I'd just rather not.
Yup e90 probably wont be cheap to repair...more technology sometimes can lead to more headaches.

A clean well maintained e46 is probably the good bet then because 3 more years of $4200 a year plus maint and repair will add up. The e46 have solid 6 cylinder engines and good transmissions, plenty of parts suppliers and probably more experienced indy mechanics out there.
Pixxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:12 PM   #32
fiveightandten
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,297
My Ride: '03 330ci / '98 M3
It seems like you have your mind made up and you're looking for a justification for it. Or...maybe i'm reading into it too far.

Your average $7-9K E46 330 (what you will need to buy to be happy) will be 100K-130K miles, and worst case scenario, you have to plan on it needing the following to bring it up to speed and be something you can trust almost completely:
-Cooling system - $400
-Intake hoses, VCG, OFHG, and other things that will cause annoyances - $100
-Shocks - $500
-Front control arms and bushings - $500
-Fuel pump - $150
-DISA - $200
-Belts and pulleys - $100
-Fluids - $150
-Clutch&Flywheel - $800

TOTAL = $2900

That's not including consumables like brakes and tires if the car needs them. But figure on that being a worst case for money expenditure. If you want to keep the car for a while and be able to trust it...just bang most of that out in the first few months of having it (obviously not the clutch, or anything you know has been done). If you're only planning on having it for 2 years or less, I wouldn't bother with some of that stuff. It all depends.

But that's about it. I went through this with my E36. I spent like $3K in preventative maintenance on the car in the first year and a half I owned it. I haven't done much if any maintenance since then (2008 or so), outside of fluid changes, spark plugs, and that sort of thing. The car is dead nuts reliable. But it wouldn't be if I waited for stuff to break. I'm going through that process with my E46 right now.

You won't be saving much money if you own the car in the short term. But I hope that helps put a worst case into prospective for you.
__________________
-Nick
fiveightandten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:26 PM   #33
SYL
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Winnipeg Canada
Posts: 266
My Ride: 01 330ci Cabrio
No, E46 looks better.
SYL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:07 AM   #34
BAMxi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 8
My Ride: 2007 TiAg 328xi e90
Thank you. I think I have my mind made up that I'll see if anything good pops up, as well as what I can get for my car private party. Took it to carmax today just to see what they'd give me....they offered $14.5k?! No way would I take that, though i wasn't surprised by the lowball offer. pretty much an "average" condition wholesale quote, minus a grand or so. My car was dirty but has no damage other than two small door dings. I think the 4 e90s (two of which silver) on their lot already might have contributed to the offer. I would expect at least $17k-$18k before I considered selling it.

It seems that beyond maintenance, the e46 would be a great car to own. But I'm not going to rush in and just buy whatever. If the right one comes along, I think it could be a good change and a smart move. I do think they are gorgeous and will keep their timeless look until they become even more highly desirable. Much like the e30 is experiencing right now. Plus, I like the idea of driving something more "raw" and engaging.

When took the e90 out today, I did feel a little guilty for all this talk of getting rid of her. She is a good car.
BAMxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:24 AM   #35
makecopies
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 1600 Penn. Ave
Posts: 1,816
My Ride: Gods Chariot
Do not go backwards!!! If you want to get rid of your current ride to save money go JDM. Nissan,Honda or Toyota
makecopies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:53 AM   #36
MercForHire
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Toronto,Ontario
Posts: 4,417
My Ride: sold...
Quote:
Originally Posted by makecopies View Post
Do not go backwards!!! If you want to get rid of your current ride to save money go JDM. Nissan,Honda or Toyota
+1

If OP doesn't have the proper income to comfortably own a luxury car, then just buy a cheaper more reliable eco-box until the time is right.
No need to show off a false "status" that you might not have. Rich people with million dollars of assets can be seen as driving regular Ford and Toyota sedans.

Stop thinking that what you drive actually matters to anyone else.
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 02:34 AM   #37
ptrcd003
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 356
My Ride: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveightandten View Post
-Cooling system - $400
-Intake hoses, VCG, OFHG, and other things that will cause annoyances - $100
-Shocks - $500
-Front control arms and bushings - $500
-Fuel pump - $150
-DISA - $200
-Belts and pulleys - $100
-Fluids - $150
-Clutch&Flywheel - $800

TOTAL = $2900
Why are you assuming that he'd be buying a car that is beat to ****? What is with this assumption that this forum is the only place where people maintain BMWs and any BMW you buy has never been to a mechanic. Everyone I know who purchased an E46 already had almost all that stuff replaced by the previous owner. A car with worn out control arms and bushing won't even pass inspection for him to purchase it, so its unlikely that he'll need to replace them at purchase. Clutch and flywheel?
ptrcd003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:55 AM   #38
Grande D
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dirty South
Posts: 3,376
My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by makecopies View Post
Do not go backwards!!! If you want to get rid of your current ride to save money go JDM. Nissan,Honda or Toyota
Get the fvck out of here. Those cars have little to no integrity- especially speaking about the current ones.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:50 AM   #39
fiveightandten
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,297
My Ride: '03 330ci / '98 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptrcd003 View Post
Why are you assuming that he'd be buying a car that is beat to ****? What is with this assumption that this forum is the only place where people maintain BMWs and any BMW you buy has never been to a mechanic. Everyone I know who purchased an E46 already had almost all that stuff replaced by the previous owner. A car with worn out control arms and bushing won't even pass inspection for him to purchase it, so its unlikely that he'll need to replace them at purchase. Clutch and flywheel?
Why are *you* jumping own my throat without reading my post? I used the term worst case scenario multiple times in my post. The OP was specifically asking if the cost of maintenance of buying a $7-9K E46 would negate the savings of him getting rid of his car payment. I listed all of the common issues with a car in that price range so he could get a feel for what the worst case maintenance costs would be over long term ownership so he can make decisions for himself.

If you have a problem with that and don't agree with the information, post up a reply to him that you feel is more relevant. Giving me a hard time for providing information to the OP so he can think for himself? Slightly less productive.
__________________
-Nick
fiveightandten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:56 AM   #40
MercForHire
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Toronto,Ontario
Posts: 4,417
My Ride: sold...
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveightandten View Post
Why are *you* jumping own my throat without reading my post? I used the term worst case scenario multiple times in my post. The OP was specifically asking if the cost of maintenance of buying a $7-9K E46 would negate the savings of him getting rid of his car payment. I listed all of the common issues with a car in that price range so he could get a feel for what the worst case maintenance costs would be over long term ownership so he can make decisions for himself.

If you have a problem with that and don't agree with the information, post up a reply to him that you feel is more relevant. Giving me a hard time for providing information to the OP so he can think for himself? Slightly less productive.
I apologize on behalf of our fellow Canadians.
The immigration office has let too many angry nut cases into our border in the past few years. Good thing they are starting to tightening up the requirements recently.
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use