E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-11-2011, 02:16 PM   #1
Patton323I

My Ride: R1100GS E46 E53
Exclamation M3 Drive Shaft Problems.

I searched the forms looking for topics relating to the problems I have been having, I even posted a question a while back relating to it with no solutions offered. SO, I am posting this to document my issues and solutions I have found. I will Update and Post more pictures as I work out the Problem! The car is a 2002 ///M3 with 110,000 Miles on it. just got out of a service 2 too!

The Problem

The drive shaft is making a loud and violent clunking sound at speed. At first it was 0-20 MPH then it progressed to 0-60+

My first thought was to replace the drive shaft bearing. ( P/N 26122282495 ) Totally screwed as you can see

This occured with both the first and second instance. (found first bearing toast and replaced it, this is the second bearing.)
Further digging found that the rear CV Joint on the Drive shaft was seizing up causing the whole shaft to catch and bind. This was what was causing the Loud clunk, which destroyed both the bearings.

Bad CV Joint.

End of CV Joint ( sorry I didn't clean it up yet )

Splined fitting at U-Joint

Whole drive shaft assembly (Lucky me, no damage or excesive wear has happened. I cought the problem before it blew on me )

U-Joint

Mating Spline, U-Joint End.

Here Is an exploded diagram of all affected/related components with part numbers.

Last edited by Patton323I; 06-11-2011 at 07:09 PM.
Patton323I is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:17 PM   #2
2003E46M3

My Ride: 2003 E46 M3
Wait... what kind of loud clunk? Like, when I shift my baby at 7,900 RPM's while driving hard? I thought that was the SMG ///M clunk. Now I'm starting to get worried
2003E46M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 04:17 PM   #3
Patton323I

Thats what everyone told me, however mine is the 6 speed not SMG. but it would be noticeable through out the rpm range. and its more like a series of clunks, very fast. it comes from directly under the center of the car. feels like the center bearing. And thats the only component that will show any sign of wear. I found out it was the rear CV joint when i took off the whole drive shaft assembly and found that I could not freely turn the CV joint at the end.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:25 AM   #4
buzz1167

My Ride: BMW M3
OMG, I love you! I have had this problem for 2 months now. Trying to fix it I have found and replaced lots of the typical bearings that people say wear out and they all need to be replaced but they don't fix the problem. Your problem is exactly as I have and it just started to get to the point where the sound progresses above 20mph and I stopped driving it all together looking for the answer!

BTW I have a 2002 M3 with 104,000 miles on it... Damn close failures...

The noise I have sounds as if the entire vehicle is going to explode. Really more like someone is hitting the transmission with a sledge about 5times a second. But it only happens at low speed, once i get above 20 it went away on the highway. But on the surface streets I have to be really ginger with the throttle and short shift first from all the stoplights to make the noise stop earlier. It will make noise in all gears, but shifting seems to jolt it in a way to help make it stop when accelerating.

Last edited by buzz1167; 06-29-2011 at 10:41 AM.
buzz1167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:43 AM   #5
Patton323I

Yeah you sound like your having the same problem as me. but don't be thanking me just yet. I replaced all the parts and im still having the problem, but on a much smaller scale now. (not nearly as bad but still evident.) Its driveable and just fine if you stay off the throttle now. What I was unaware of (nor thought of) is when you take the drive shaft apart you need to mark the position of the spline fittings so it goes back together the same way it came apart. If you fail to do this then the drive shaft will be out of balance, which mine now is. so my next step is to take it into a shop and have them re-balance the shaft. Some thing else to think about it if the CV joint is bad and did cause the binding, it may A: throw the shaft out of balance B: bend or twist the Drive shaft, which would require replacement.

Anyways, I'm taking the shaft in, in the next few days to get it re-balanced. I will have more pictures and a video with results and total end costs on this whole issue. I'm tired of having this problem. But no matter what I still love my ///M3!!!!!!

Last edited by Patton323I; 06-29-2011 at 11:46 AM.
Patton323I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:29 PM   #6
poorfatjames

My Ride: Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton323I View Post

Anyways, I'm taking the shaft in, in the next few days to get it re-balanced.
could you do me a favor if you haven't installed it already? could you measure the diameter and spline count of the shaft where the two halves connect? Also, could you measure the forward section of the shaft? I'm trying to collect and clarify driveshaft info on a 323i swap to m3.

thanks!

Last edited by poorfatjames; 07-09-2011 at 08:30 PM.
poorfatjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:44 PM   #7
Patton323I

I would love to, but Wednesday some ******* rear ended my car and totaled it....
Old 07-10-2011, 07:14 PM   #8
poorfatjames

My Ride: Miata
oh heck. sorry dude.
poorfatjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:10 PM   #9
Sequential Maniac

My Ride: Bmw e46 m3 vert
so how did you resolve this problem because mine has the same noise too its not too loud but is noticeable
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	487736_4299483094959_780745289_n.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	459785  
Sequential Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:25 AM   #10
Sfitty4

My Ride: 01 JB M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequential Maniac View Post
so how did you resolve this problem because mine has the same noise too its not too loud but is noticeable
\

Center support bearing is shot. While you're changing that you may as well change the Guibo too.
Sfitty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:05 AM   #11
Patton323I

In all likely hood, the center support bearing is shot. But be weary because it might have worn out for other reasons ( the drive shaft being out of balance, worn guibo etc ). You need to be very cautious when dis assembling the drive shaft. The splined center shaft needs to go on EXACTLY the same way it came off or you risk throwing the entire shaft off balance. You may want to try and take the shaft in to get it re balanced, however when I tried it for mine, the shop told me that it was not possible to do because of the nature of the shaft design that they could not chuck it in to the balancing machine. And if the shaft dose in fact turn out to be out of balance, You may as well either order a brand new one ($800) Buy a re manufactured one ($500 quoted for me) or go to a junk yard and try and find one in decent shape. I'm not a fan of the junk yard idea because you may just end up back where you started. Hope this helps!
Old 05-30-2013, 07:05 PM   #12
bimmerfanaticc

My Ride: E46
Just replace the thing already!

I had the same problem as Patton323I and after replacing more parts than I care to mention with out resolving the problem. I finally took my mechanics word and just replaced the whole drive shaft and I gotta say it was the smartest thing I could have done. Between the center bearings, CV joints and re balancing and having to pay to have my mechanic to keep dropping it off the car and re installing I know now I should have just replaced the whole thing from the START! and woulda saved some good money. My mechanic refered me to a website that specializes in drive shafts and I was able to pick up a re man for under $450!!! with free shipping for the part and also for my old core. I COULD NOT BE HAPPIER !!! my 02" is running as smooth as the day I drove it off the lot.

Wholesale Import Parts is the name of the company.

http://www.wholesaleimportparts.com/BMW_Drive_Shaft.php :_nr_
bimmerfanaticc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bearing, cv joint, drive shaft, failure