E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum

Motorsports & Track Forum
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2012, 10:09 PM   #1
Locutus09

My Ride: Something Slow
First Auto-X on the RS3s

I'd say it went really well, took AS!

Video below, let me know if you see anything of concern. Comments are always appreciated. I can't wait for these tires to get faster. Grip is everywhere.

Sway bar is a big improvement. Hopefully someone took shots so I can see body roll. I'm running an E46 M3 H&R 30mm

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:34 PM   #2
Steven747

My Ride: 05 330ci
very nice looks good .. i haven't seen your car without the sway bars but for those very aggressive sharp turn there is a very small amount of sway even by the inside view. exactly like my car with h&r sways and ps2's its hard for me too get sway lol

ncie vid maybe a go pro next time on top of the car
Old 05-07-2012, 06:44 PM   #3
Locutus09

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven747 View Post
very nice looks good .. i haven't seen your car without the sway bars but for those very aggressive sharp turn there is a very small amount of sway even by the inside view. exactly like my car with h&r sways and ps2's its hard for me too get sway lol

ncie vid maybe a go pro next time on top of the car
Yea, I could really notice it.

Here is a picture from last year. Middle speed with less gripy tires (280 versus 140)

And I'm buying a GoPro soon. I know.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:57 PM   #4
dreamdrivedrift

My Ride: 99 M3 & 95 325i
Send a message via AIM to dreamdrivedrift
Holy crap that looks like a boring course...pretty much slaloms the entire time. Driving looked good although it was kind of hard to tell with the skipping and the audio/video mismatch. Congrats on taking AS though!
Old 05-07-2012, 11:32 PM   #5
Locutus09

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamdrivedrift View Post
Holy crap that looks like a boring course...pretty much slaloms the entire time. Driving looked good although it was kind of hard to tell with the skipping and the audio/video mismatch. Congrats on taking AS though!
I agree. It was a damn Miata course and alot of people complained.

I think they are letting members submit their course ideas. Needless to say I'm going to participate. It needs alot more.

BTW - Ordering a GoPro come end of the week for the 20th. Don't worry guys. Better audio is coming!
Old 05-10-2012, 09:06 PM   #6
fastjasonbmw

My Ride: 330Xi
I just ran on Kumho Ecsta XS for the 1st time and fell in love...RS3s were on backorder.

Here's a pretty good tire review/competition by Car and Driver.
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...csta-xs-page-9
fastjasonbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 07:48 PM   #7
Locutus09

Another go at them today:

Old 05-22-2012, 10:41 AM   #8
trippinbillies4

My Ride: '02 Mini, '13 FR-S
Gimme a shout if you want a go pro!

It was hard to tell too much for driving technique in the first video, but the one thing I would suggest working on was the first slalom you went through. Focus on getting on the back side of each cone closely so you can accelerate through the end of the slalom and have a much higher exit speed. Giving up a little before the first cone will add a significant amount of speed at the end. It looked like you were driving up to each cone and having to turn around it, and when you do that on the last cone it kills your time. It's called "getting behind" in a slalom.

If you do it correctly, you should usually be able to hammer the gas at the third to last cone. Here's a video from our first points event this year with a 6 cone slalom done pretty well:

P.S. Get your a$$ down to Cincy for an event! Don't make me come find you!

'02 Mini Cooper #40HS, '13 Scion FR-S #40CS, '12 Ducati SF848
trippinbillies4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:49 PM   #9
Locutus09

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippinbillies4 View Post
Gimme a shout if you want a go pro!

It was hard to tell too much for driving technique in the first video, but the one thing I would suggest working on was the first slalom you went through. Focus on getting on the back side of each cone closely so you can accelerate through the end of the slalom and have a much higher exit speed. Giving up a little before the first cone will add a significant amount of speed at the end. It looked like you were driving up to each cone and having to turn around it, and when you do that on the last cone it kills your time. It's called "getting behind" in a slalom.

If you do it correctly, you should usually be able to hammer the gas at the third to last cone. Here's a video from our first points event this year with a 6 cone slalom done pretty well:

P.S. Get your a$$ down to Cincy for an event! Don't make me come find you!
Thanks for the comments, look at my second video I posted above, it's some GoPro Hero2 action (as well as a better slalom in the reverse course)

I did much better in results, ended up with 16/71 PAX and 1/9th in the index class.

I want to go to the Wilmington event in September, but I'll be in school and the car will be put away...although I just need to find someone that will let me co-drive their car

I'll try my best, I'm going to be running with OVR July 7th and 8th for sure...come join. I don't know if I'll ever get down the Cinci, although I need to.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:14 PM   #10
trippinbillies4

My Ride: '02 Mini, '13 FR-S
Hmmm... I could probably do the OVR event. If you make Wilmington and my current co-driver has graduated from the Mini so I have an open seat, you're more than welcome to give it a go. She's pretty hooked on it though and scared of her boyfriend's mustang, so don't hold your breath haha.

'02 Mini Cooper #40HS, '13 Scion FR-S #40CS, '12 Ducati SF848
trippinbillies4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:41 AM   #11
Ghambino

My Ride: 330ci
Gotta love the RS3s.
Ghambino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:18 AM   #12
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
The RS3s are awesome until the temps drop below 50.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:22 PM   #13
Locutus09

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
The RS3s are awesome until the temps drop below 50.
I don't think I'll ever be running in those temps anyways, so we're good!