E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-09-2012, 08:17 PM   #21
umnitza

My Ride: E39M5, Sequoia
Send a message via Yahoo to umnitza
The Orion Lite do not have that kind of warranty on them.
The Orion V2 does have that.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:00 PM   #22
330xIce

My Ride: 2005 330xi
Send a message via AIM to 330xIce
Thought so thanks anyway!

Follow Me On Instagram: JamesMarshall_E46

///My Progress Thread - How To Set a Signature - Black Sedans FTMFW
-James-
330xIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:22 AM   #23
boostedisbetter

My Ride: 03 S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by icecold9485 View Post
Thought so thanks anyway!
And also, the orion lite fit different than the V2.

No response on the cutoff ring huh umnitza?

Last edited by boostedisbetter; 07-10-2012 at 07:23 AM.
boostedisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:45 AM   #24
boostedisbetter

Quote:
Ive seen the khoalty ones.. I don't like how you can see each individual LED.
These are Khoalty.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	330.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	460233  

Last edited by boostedisbetter; 07-10-2012 at 08:46 AM.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:58 AM   #25
330xIce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa02e46 View Post
These are Khoalty.
I've seen khoalty ones in real life and I liked the look of my Orion Lite opaques a lot better

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Bimmer App

-James-
Old 07-10-2012, 12:55 PM   #26
umnitza

My Ride: E39M5, Sequoia
Send a message via Yahoo to umnitza
Quote:
And also, the orion lite fit different than the V2.

No response on the cutoff ring huh umnitza?
Answering the same question and comment for the 10000th time is not fun, but since you probably haven't been around long enough to see the last 4 years of responses, this post should help you out. If you need any more examples, please visit the Orion Photos thread. I'm sure you'll find some more cut off photos there, but from dead ahead, none of the Orions look cut off, while oversized rings do, see below for more detail...

Posted from another forum - way back when.
--------

Ring installation is a big factor in how the rings look. If your headlights are adjusted to low or too high or too far to the right or left, rings that are too big or designed to contour the way the reflector bowls work are nothing short of poor design. When the headlight is adjusted +/- a few degrees off center, an oversized ring will disappear either below the trailing edge of the trim pieces of the varying headlights. That is to say, our rings are designed to fit:
1) Bosch/AL Halogen/Xenon/Bixenon
2) ZKW Halogen/Bixenon
3) Aftermarket DEPO
4) Auto Leveling and non-Auto-Leveling
5) All variations of lights in between.

Every other company out there has copied everyone's ring design, so they didn't take all those factors into account, WE DID and to some degree even EAS did.

Let me explain to you why. Rings are not easy to build. You need to pay for molds, injection machines, manufacturing, etc. Not one company - save perhaps, maybe EAS, has done this except for Umnitza. We are the ONLY company that has taken the necessary steps to actually engineer our rings from ground up since we have been doing this longer than nearly everyone except BMW. Everyone except us buys these rings knocked off in China, with poor manufacturing (we've seen all the knock off rings, including the latest that are designed to look like ours). The others didn't pay for any molds, they just asked the nearest "cheapo" Chinese factory to knock it off for them.

Here are the key differences that ours have that even the "Orion knock off" doesn't have - without going into very specific details or the competitors may actually pull off a duplicate instead of a knock off.
1) high polish acrylic ring - the competitors on ebay and elsewhere have dead acrylic that is not high quality GE Polymer based.
2) hardened acrylic ring - the competitors use a softer less durable compound to "cut costs"
3) high output wide band Led -the competitors use a narrow, slightly lower output band of LED - designed to "last longer despite board design drawbacks"
4) high tensile strength clips - this is part of the way hardened acrylic works, it removes "memory loss" over time for Orion rings, while competitors use cheap soft plastic clips that fail or need to be glued in place.
5) sealed solder points - competitors use exposed solder points.

There are many other points to make regarding our regulation boxes, our quality construction, are indestructibility, etc. But those 5 points define why you should never settle for cheaper (not less expensive but CHEAPER) quality even if it's only $10-50 less.

This is what our product is capable of:

http://www.youtube.com/umnitza#p/u/7/4j3vAz-4Gcs

So, let's speak of your fitment!
This is our product compared. Perfect fitment, while the other rings are "cut off" - this is proper installation with headlights adjusted at the same angles on both sides.

Our Chromiums were actually oversized a little, note how they dip below a properly adjusted headlight into the trim.

CCFL vs Orion V2

And now, for the perfect fitting Orion V2

And this is what happens when the rings are too big.
Quote:
Originally Posted by afstud View Post
be glad there the size they are. i have Khoalty ones and there the exact size of the reflector bowls and i hate it, because when the trim and lense are on you cant see half the ring on either low or high beam so i had to mount them higher to see the whole ring and still is partially covered at the bottom, i wish mine were smaller then youd see the whole ring and it would look better.... so just leave them and be happy thats how most of them are, im ordering a new set from somewhere else just so there smaller than the bowls so you can see the whole thing.
Now, you may not want to buy the parts from umnitza, that's your prerogative, but our parts are faultless for this product. Everything has been factored into this product and even now 4 years after introduction, it remains one of the most if not the most reliable lighting product on the market.

We hope you choose the Orion V2 as thousands upon thousands of others have, you will never be disappointed by them.

Last edited by umnitza; 07-10-2012 at 01:01 PM.
umnitza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:07 PM   #27
tom @ eas
european auto source

My Ride: e92 S/C M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by umnitza View Post
Every other company out there has copied everyone's ring design, so they didn't take all those factors into account, WE DID and to some degree even EAS did.
Please leave us out of your debates/marketing tactics.
tom @ eas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:55 PM   #28
boostedisbetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by umnitza View Post
Answering the same question and comment for the 10000th time is not fun, but since BLAH BLAH BLAH
Thanks for posting a picture that confirms exactly what I HATE about Orion V2.... Check out that gap on the high beam bowls... YACK! Say whatever you want man, they still don't fit flush, end of story. Here is YOUR picture THAT YOU POSTED to prove it...
Old 07-10-2012, 03:07 PM   #29
boostedisbetter

In this picture, you say that orion V2 on the right.... I prefer the AE on the LEFT. They look more CRISP and clean than the BLOATED look of the V2... IMO...
Old 07-10-2012, 03:08 PM   #30
330xIce

The whole point is that if they did sit flush the ring would be too big and part of it would be cut off by the headlight insert. See how the bowl goes under the insert?

-James-
Old 07-10-2012, 03:52 PM   #31
boostedisbetter

Quote:
The whole point is that if they did sit flush the ring would be too big and part of it would be cut off by the headlight insert. See how the bowl goes under the insert?
Here are Orion V2...

So what were you saying about Orion V2 NOT cutting off the view of the ring? It's the fact that EVERY picture umnitza posts is a picture that is taken from a very high POV... It's their only fighting point against other AE because they know others fit MUCH better... If you like the bloated AE look, go for Orion. If you like crisp clean rings, go with EAS or Khoalty.

Last edited by boostedisbetter; 07-10-2012 at 03:55 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:40 PM   #32
330xIce

I wouldn't really say a VERY high POV. Id say its about regular standing height. A height at which most people would be viewing your car. But to each their own. Im just speaking from my own personal experience. I loved umnitza's product, service, and needless to say I was more than satisfied. Im not downing Khoalty or any other AE supplier, Im simply speaking from MY own personal experience. Everybody has their own opinions!

-James-
Old 07-11-2012, 01:55 PM   #33
boostedisbetter

moar V2 .... Wow look at that, the rings are cut off...
Old 07-11-2012, 02:03 PM   #34
UmnitzaSupport
Sponsor

My Ride: 1995 m3
Thank you for posting more photos of our spectacular customer's cars and their Orion V2 rings.
The cut off we describe is how the trim inside the headlight cuts it off from straight ahead, how 99% of the world will see our rings coming up in their rear view mirror. Other - too large rings - get cut off at the bottom by the trim, get cut off at the sides by both the trim and the headlight, or cut off at the top where the trim cuts it off.
Everyone has their own opinions. Yours is just not shared by us

EDIT: a few more photos our customers gave to us.

and one with a quad projector.

Call Tim K. 877 486 6489
Email Konstantin D. umnitzaship@gmail.com
Available: 9am-5pm M-F

Last edited by UmnitzaSupport; 07-11-2012 at 02:09 PM.
UmnitzaSupport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:06 PM   #35
boostedisbetter

Cool. Orion V2 have a gap on the high beam bowls, just so you know. They look great otherwise. So do other brands, but they don't have gaps. Just making that clear is all.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:40 PM   #36
kakashi_sensi

My Ride: 01 e46 330i
Quote:
Khoalty are crisp, clean, and fit perfect... Umnitza Orion V2 fits like garbage, but some people don't care and just like that they are brighter...

...and to support my statement b/c I know I'll get flamed, here is how the Orion V2 fits.

orion v2s are bright and is a good quality product

but i do have to agree that the fitment is garbage...there is a gap between the bowls and the ring...i have a picture to prove it.

khoalty AEs
the LEDs dies out very quickly, my friend has a set and we compared it. Orion is brighter but the fitment for Khoalty is better.

your call.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:04 PM   #37
boostedisbetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakashi_sensi View Post
orion v2s are bright and is a good quality product

but i do have to agree that the fitment is garbage...there is a gap between the bowls and the ring...i have a picture to prove it.

khoalty AEs
the LEDs dies out very quickly, my friend has a set and we compared it. Orion is brighter but the fitment for Khoalty is better.

your call.
Thank God someone sees the fitment issue...

How did you "compare" the LED life? It Dies out? Did you do an actual bench test to see which one lasted longer through time?? Or do you just mean that Orion V2 are brighter?
Old 07-11-2012, 04:22 PM   #38
Toxx

My Ride: 2000 323i
Holy god, I've never seen someone complain about such a small issue before! I have the v2s, I think they look great, are durable as hell, and in my opinion make my front end look pretty nice! Stop bashing on a (IMO) quality company with great customer service. You've said your opinion, now let's hear some others. Quit getting your blood pressure over 9000
Toxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:25 PM   #39
boostedisbetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxx View Post
Holy god, I've never seen someone complain about such a small issue before! I have the v2s, I think they look great, are durable as hell, and in my opinion make my front end look pretty nice! Stop bashing on a (IMO) quality company with great customer service. You've said your opinion, now let's hear some others. Quit getting your blood pressure over 9000
You obviously don't pay close attention to detail... I'm extremely picky about what goes on my car... I never bashed the company or their products, in fact I already stated that I think they do make good products. It's just an opinion man, no one is mad here dude.

Last edited by boostedisbetter; 07-11-2012 at 04:27 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:36 PM   #40
kakashi_sensi

My Ride: 01 e46 330i
Quote:
Thank God someone sees the fitment issue...

How did you "compare" the LED life? It Dies out? Did you do an actual bench test to see which one lasted longer through time?? Or do you just mean that Orion V2 are brighter?
after a year of using khoalty...small sections of LEDs start to fade...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxx View Post
no one is complaining all facts here...the Orion v2 is a good product BUT if you are spending 260 USD you would expect a product to be well researched in terms of fitment...dont get me wrong...i love the Orion v2s that i have but fitment is just not as good as khoaltys....