E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2012, 11:52 AM   #41
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
I think you and glight have an extreme definition of looks. Looks isn't necessarily competing.

Looks can be a low fat, strong body. To me, that "looks" good. I don't need a bulging chest or for my arms to stretch my tshirts. Is a compound still good for this goal?
yes, I believe so. I good diet and program like starting strengh, mad cow etc will get you good looking but not as "body builder like" as a split.
DylloS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:55 PM   #42
dwass325

My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
Quote:
I think you and glight have an extreme definition of looks. Looks isn't necessarily competing.

Looks can be a low fat, strong body. To me, that "looks" good. I don't need a bulging chest or for my arms to stretch my tshirts. Is a compound still good for this goal?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
yes, I believe so. I good diet and program like starting strengh, mad cow etc will get you good looking but not as "body builder like" as a split.
I'm not saying everyone needs to look like Phil Heath, but if you try to tell me that I'm off base in saying it looks better to have muscle mass in your upper arms, I will gladly tell you you're both full of sh-t. If we look at any examples of men who are considered to have aesthetically pleasing bodies, they always have signs of working more than the big three lifts would offer. There's a material difference between something being aesthetically pleasing in its own right and being appreciable because of what it's capable of.

And Ron you say strong body but don't elaborate. I could easily argue that my way of working out leads to a strong(er) body in that I work every muscle group instead of focusing on three lifts, which inherently under-trains certain groups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:27 AM   #43
CarterRuss

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323Ci
As hard as it is to believe you can achieve a lot with very few compound exercises. Look at Herschel Walker, never picked up a weight before, has always done BW (push up, abs, dips, pull ups) and he is a beast.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...Hcbp0gGy06jIBg

But then again if you aren't genetically gifted like some you have to do a bit more. But eat right, train right for what you want to accomplish and you will see results.

Personally I look to Greg Plitt for having the best body but that's just me

CarterRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:27 AM   #44
dwass325

My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarterRuss View Post
As hard as it is to believe you can achieve a lot with very few compound exercises. Look at Herschel Walker, never picked up a weight before, has always done BW (push up, abs, dips, pull ups) and he is a beast.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...Hcbp0gGy06jIBg

But then again if you aren't genetically gifted like some you have to do a bit more. But eat right, train right for what you want to accomplish and you will see results.

Personally I look to Greg Plitt for having the best body but that's just me
Walker is in shape despite himself. He's an absolute idiot when it comes to diet/nutrition/fitness, but he's hit the genetic lottery and can't not be in shape. If you think I'm off on this topic, apply his "principles" to anybody else and let me know the results (hint: they'll look more like Christian Bale in The Machinist than Christian Bale in Batman).

Plitt, aside from being in some really cheesy ads, has a great physique and unquestionably works out like a bodybuilder. This is not the result of not doing arms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:12 AM   #45
CarterRuss

no I agree that Walker has a gift but that is the realization with some people, so just simply saying something doesn't work isn't right. Only way to rule out a workout plan is to try it and see how it works for you. You also could consider Plitt to be an "idiot" because he only eats one true meal a day. And while Walker's workout/diet routine is unconventional, it works for him so why would he change it?

Also the real main point of this is, is that you can't make any sort of gains in 25 minutes. 45-75 minutes of solid work regardless of nature of the work is going to yield results. Now what your goal is and what works for you is going to vary.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:31 AM   #46
rohde88

My Ride: S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
If we look at any examples of men who are considered to have aesthetically pleasing bodies, they always have signs of working more than the big three lifts would offer. There's a material difference between something being aesthetically pleasing in its own right and being appreciable because of what it's capable of.

And Ron you say strong body but don't elaborate. I could easily argue that my way of working out leads to a strong(er) body in that I work every muscle group instead of focusing on three lifts, which inherently under-trains certain groups.
I'll have to unpack this some more, but I think we don't see eye-to-eye on what is aesthetically pleasing in a relative sense.

-I agree those guys are aesthetically pleasing, but so don't realistically see that as a target. Therefore my "aesthetic" is further down the bell curve.

So, for that body, are isolated movements necessary? Sure its helpful...

Quote:
Without delving into racial issues, I wouldn't compare most people to genetically gifted people. Six pack abs seem pretty common for some groups, definitely not Asians.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:45 AM   #47
CarterRuss

Quote:
Without delving into racial issues, I wouldn't compare most people to genetically gifted people. Six pack abs seem pretty common for some groups, definitely not Asians.
That isn't quite what I meant as far as genetics. I simply mean the ability to grow and build certain muscles. For instance, I can jump in weight on my back exercises but in chest exercises, I lack. Some guys can put weight on very easily, for me it is difficult. Genetics have a large part in how your body responds to workouts/diets

Old 07-12-2012, 10:50 AM   #48
rohde88

My Ride: S2000
Quote:
That isn't quite what I meant as far as genetics. I simply mean the ability to grow and build certain muscles. For instance, I can jump in weight on my back exercises but in chest exercises, I lack. Some guys can put weight on very easily, for me it is difficult. Genetics have a large part in how your body responds to workouts/diets
Yea and when I was 15, I worked out with my best friend every day over a summer. We did the same workouts, ate identical food, drink, etc. At the end of it, he had an 8 pack and I was lucky to have a two pack.

He was black. I was chubby.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:16 AM   #49
sweetbro858

My Ride: BMW
This part

sweetbro858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:28 AM   #50
Mike Larry

My Ride: 575 nello
!
Old 07-14-2012, 11:32 AM   #51
B_Cyrus
Banned User

My Ride: Malfouf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Larry View Post
!
B_Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:51 AM   #52
Mike Larry

^ it was one of the related videos after you play the video above mine. the music had me rolling
Old 07-14-2012, 10:52 PM   #53
Mike Larry

found this too
Old 07-15-2012, 10:14 AM   #54
sweetbro858

My roommate, mass inspiration.

Old 07-28-2012, 12:49 PM   #55
sweetbro858

Old 07-28-2012, 03:42 PM   #56
kushy

My Ride: automatic m3
"to give any less than your best is to sacrifice a gift" - Unknown

"lift heavy and take your multi" - Socrates
kushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:46 PM   #57
B_Cyrus
Banned User

My Ride: Malfouf
Quote:
Originally Posted by kushy View Post
"to give any less than your best is to sacrifice a gift" - Unknown

"lift heavy and take your multi" - Socrates
Bro that was Galileo.

Do you even lift?
B_Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:08 AM   #58
kushy

My Ride: automatic m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Cyrus View Post
Bro that was Galileo.

Do you even lift?
do you even respond?
kushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:33 AM   #59
ghorn

My Ride: 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Larry View Post
found this too
hurts to watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Doing drugs and having sex... oh wow big deal. Well it is actually a HUGE deal.
ghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:59 PM   #60
sweetbro858