E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-09-2012, 10:57 PM   #61
E86 FTW

My Ride: '07 Z4MC, '05 ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceowls View Post
Does anyone have any idea what to do with regards of SOS/Assist mirror replacement.
The SOS-equipped, non-Homelink mirror in my ZHP was completely FUBAR when I bought the car 2 months ago. The day/night fluid had leaked internally and the thing had a giant bubble in it. Time to get the mirror out of the car IMMEDIATELY when you see this, as this fluid will eventually leak all over your interior, and it's destructive as hell from what I've read.

I found an SOS *and* Homelink-equipped mirror on Ebay and quickly snagged it. From what I can tell, this combo is fairly rare. When it arrived, turned out the day/night fluid has was causing a small bubble in this one too. I got the Ebay seller to rebate me $50 and got it rebuilt for $99 from radar-mirror.com, now it's good as new. Simple plug-n-play replacement, and after programming, Homelink works fine.

I'd comb Ebay for the same mirror, one will turn up eventually if not there now. Very happy with the end results in my case.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:43 PM   #62
ralf

My Ride: 330i
Mirror upgrade

I just did this mod, the easiest ive done, now I enjoy homelink buttons and compass.

Do anyone knows how to turn on the temperature display?

Greetings

Ralf
ralf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:20 AM   #63
ODCCs

My Ride: 2003 M3 Convertible
A note that i have discovered on my M3 convertible. The mirrors from the e46 sedans and coupes will not work with the convertibles. The mirror itself has the sensor for the key fob in it, where as the other models are built into the interior light housing. If you do a mirror swap with an E90 from what i can gather it will have to be a convertible. I have verified this is true from switching a mirror off an e46 sedan with homelink to my M3. The homelink and auto dim work great but i cant use the remote any more. I am going to thry putting my girlfriends E90 sedan mirror in it just to verify accuracy, but from what it looks like if you want to do this swap on a convertible, you have to have another convertible mirror. They are much harder to find thus far for me
ODCCs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:24 AM   #64
jgold47

My Ride: 2004 X5 3.0
for what its worth, I have a UGDO mirror for sale. I will trade it for a compass only one or trade + cash for a straight dimming mirror. Dont want the UGDO.

thanks

my about me link
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=791566

jgold47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:00 PM   #65
Huffaker

My Ride: 2005 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
This is because you have no premium package so you missing pin 1 and pin 3 from the car to the mirror. The pin #1 is the rear gear. pin #3 is the power from the moment when ignition is on.

The fuse is missing as well. So some re-wiring is required to retrofit autodimming mirror and make it work properly in case you do not have premium package.
Is this the same for adding auto dimming with home link and compass?
Huffaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:46 PM   #66
eneka

My Ride: 2003 325i
anyone have any info on the compass going out in hot weather? I have the concealed compass one and it gets very dim in hot weather and come back to full brightness after cooling down..
Old 11-20-2012, 04:39 PM   #67
ODCCs

My Ride: 2003 M3 Convertible
@eneka, I don't know if the display is the same, but I know the dot matrix in the radios for late model e46 and mostly e90's are bad about that. From what I can read on it the only fix is replacement. Hopefully that's not the case but I don't know that those modules are replaceable.
ODCCs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:33 PM   #68
TnT817

My Ride: 01 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralf View Post
I just did this mod, the easiest ive done, now I enjoy homelink buttons and compass.

Do anyone knows how to turn on the temperature display?

Greetings

Ralf
There isn't actually a temp display. The display itself is there, but the function is not able to be accessed because the temp display is in your dash.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eneka View Post
anyone have any info on the compass going out in hot weather? I have the concealed compass one and it gets very dim in hot weather and come back to full brightness after cooling down..
Mine has worked fine even when it was 110 out.

If anyone is interested I do have an e90 mirror with compass and homelink for sale!
Old 12-29-2012, 01:05 PM   #69
e4603

My Ride: #3 bus
How many pins/wires does the newer homelink/autodim mirror has?
The one I got has only 4 pins (wire colors are red, blue, brown, white), but my original autodim mirror has 9.
e4603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:49 PM   #70
bimmerman11

My Ride: 2005 330Xi
Send a message via AIM to bimmerman11
I've read through this thread probably 15 times over the past year but I still have one question: why do some people need to buy a retrofit wire harness?

I have a 2005 330xi sedan with SOS/Assist, autodim, clown nose, and rain sensor. I bought a 2009 or 2010 autodim mirror with rain sensing, smaller clown nose, hidden compass, and homelink. I know I have to pull pins 4-7 because my car is prewired with SOS/Assist.

My question is: Do I need the retrofit wire harness?

Thanks.
bimmerman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:19 PM   #71
Elsamo

My Ride: 2004 325 Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerman11 View Post

My question is: Do I need the retrofit wire harness?

Thanks.
I'd guess since you have a mirror with SOS/Assist, autodim, clown nose, and rain sensor you probably already have the 10-pin on the car side of the wiring. You'll probably be ok without a new harness.
Elsamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:35 PM   #72
MacSTi

My Ride: 2005 STi
Does anyone have a picture of the harness with the pinouts on the car side? Just won a 2011 e92 autodim/homelink/compass for my 05 325i with rain sensor/SOS.
MacSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:19 PM   #73
mikeypx82

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330i
I have a 2005 330i and it came with a manual mirror with led but no auto-dim, gto or compass. I just bought an auto-dim, gto mirror that came off a 2002 7 series.

I've read every rearview mirror diy I could find and I just need 12V going to pin #3 and Ground going to pin #10 for the auto dim and gto to work.
I hooked up a battery and touched pin 3 to + and pin 10 to - and autodim worked and gto light turned on.
I also hooked up the battery to pin 8 & 9 and the LED lit up.

Heres my problem. the harness coming from my car is missing pins 1-3. I've read that I have to remove pins 4,5,6 & 7 because they will fry the mirror.
My question is, where can I find a 12V ignition for pin 3? Are pins 4-7 12V? Maybe I can move one of those to pin #3?
mikeypx82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:06 PM   #74
g-rex

My Ride: Corvette, 330ci
I've read through this DIY. Great post btw delmarco. I've definitely appreciated your posts. I'm pretty new, but every time I search for a DIY, your name pops up! Well done!

Anyway, I have a question. My '03 330ci has the auto-dimming mirror now, with no homelink. I was thinking about adding the standalone homelink unit, but the more I think about it, I like the mirror idea. Anyway, with the standalone, there is a harness that plugs into it. Is that used with the mirror w/ homelink built in, or does the plug that goes to the mirror take care of powering the homelink by itself, if you know?

Thanks
g-rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:00 AM   #75
g-rex

My Ride: Corvette, 330ci
Bump for my question...anybody?
g-rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:45 AM   #76
MacSTi

My Ride: 2005 STi
Pictorial DIY: BMW E90 HomeLink/Temp/Compass/Anti Dazzle Mirror Retrofit to E46

If I remember correctly, if your mirror was powered before, which it is, or you have the rain sensor, all you do is plug it in. My 325i had the standard mirror with nothing but SOS but had the rain sensor and it worked plug and play after doing the 2 wire disconnect for the SOS.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
MacSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:10 AM   #77
al0p3z

My Ride: 1999 328i
im lost on the splicing or cutting part, i have an SOS non auto dim with rain sensor, i bought a autodim/compass/homelink mirror. wiring looks like this, also it has one brown wire not connected to anything

al0p3z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:26 PM   #78
Boondockz

My Ride: 1999 323i
I just picked up a e39 auto dimmer mirror. I have the base package mirror w/o the necessary wiring. Got the harness so I'm going to tackle that sThe time convienent.

I am posting to add this part- the universal twist connector that connects the mirror to the windshield may be in a different condition than your stock mirror. The mirror side of the connection on your new mirror may be a little loose when you put it on your windshield.

My 'new' mirror had a little play at the window connection, I had put some gaffer's tape on it to fill this space. I just noticed this when I took it off to reexamine the wiring. There is a connector on the mirror, the part with the 3 bars that grip the triangle on the window. That connector is screwed onto the mirror with 3 little screws on top, So just swap the metal ring with the bars from the mirror that did hold properly to your window, and your golden.

Sorry if this seems obvious.
Boondockz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:15 AM   #79
khoinguyen88

My Ride: bmw 330ci
thanks so much sir, great DIY I just purchase same one but without "temp", i have read through this post and people seem to have problem with how to get the temp work, so i decided to pull my trigger on the one without temp for $100
khoinguyen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 03:05 AM   #80
TR4G-

My Ride: '01 325xi
I can't seem to find an answer to this: what does GTO stand for on these mirrors?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app