E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-20-2012, 04:15 PM   #1
HPF Chris
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 2002 M3, 2006 530i
Thumbs Up Sal's LSB M3 Comes in for HPF Stage 2!!!

Sal's LSB M3 Will be morphing into an HPF 600rwhp Beast in the next couple weeks. He's getting our HPF Stage 2 Installed with the new 6766 Turbo. He's also getting the subframe reinforcement done while it's in here (very smart move) and our Stage 2 Clutch. For improvements to handling and stability he's getting the Powerflex Bushings and the HPF Front Under Brace....

We will have dyno results on his car coming soon.

Last edited by HPF Chris; 08-14-2012 at 06:36 PM.
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:19 PM   #2
Commanderwiggin

My Ride: 900rwhp Turbo M3
Nice! IMO skip on the yellow powerflex bushings and get AKG subframe bushings...there are several threads digging into this. I have the Yellow Powerflex bushings...I will be changing to AKG
Old 07-20-2012, 04:27 PM   #3
Forcefed M3

My Ride: HPF Stage 2.75
you should have raced the guy in the scooter!
Old 07-20-2012, 11:21 PM   #4
BDUB328I

My Ride: bmw 328i sedan (E46)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
Nice! IMO skip on the yellow powerflex bushings and get AKG subframe bushings...there are several threads digging into this. I have the Yellow Powerflex bushings...I will be changing to AKG
interesting, i just installed the yellow busings on my diff carrier.... maybe ill switch to the akg before i install the carrier in my car and have to do it all over again.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:11 AM   #5
Bdave

My Ride: M3 HPF Stage 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
My shop now recommends AKG over Powerflex for applications like subframe RTABS abd FCABS. I see many other cars now running the AKG line. Red or Black durometer. My subframe are the Blacks and my RTABS are Red.

Last edited by Bdave; 07-21-2012 at 02:13 AM.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:33 AM   #6
E85head

My Ride: E46 M3
I swapped to akg 75d (red) bushings for the diff, subframe and rtabs, dont regret one second. Tiny bit of drivetrain noise, but that actually just puts a smile on my face and is only noticeable with the stereo turned of. A few cliks and clunks when drivetrain slack is absorbed, but from what i understand, all m3s does this more or less..
I went with the akg's because i know of a few that has had fitment issues with powerflexbushings leaving a tiny bit of free space between the bushings and underside of the car where the subframe sits..
Old 07-21-2012, 10:20 AM   #7
MaverickM3

My Ride: gets badge
Ihave the black powerflex. Never had a problem. I think it was only the yellow ones that were bad.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:27 AM   #8
Commanderwiggin

My Ride: 900rwhp Turbo M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickM3 View Post
Ihave the black powerflex. Never had a problem. I think it was only the yellow ones that were bad.
I don't necessarily have a BIG problem...there is a small gap between the bushing and the body where the bushing is supposed to be in contact with...about 1mm gap last time I looked. Not good.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:46 AM   #9
330Cole

My Ride: 01' 330Ci
what kinda lip spoiler is that?
Old 07-21-2012, 05:19 PM   #10
MarcusLSB

My Ride: BMW's
LSB Vert.. Kinda wish I had a vert with a 6466.. that would be a fun daily driver.

youtube.com/marcuslsb -- Check out photography by Gheybe!

New Build by Lab22

Old 07-21-2012, 06:32 PM   #11
Dreikraft

My Ride: slow m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330Cole View Post
what kinda lip spoiler is that?
Looks like a hamman
Old 07-22-2012, 07:08 AM   #12
Bdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by E85head View Post
I went with the akg's because i know of a few that has had fitment issues with powerflexbushings leaving a tiny bit of free space between the bushings and underside of the car where the subframe sits..
Yep. I started a thread last year called" Ripped a Sub Frame bush...a POLY one!!! "

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...635&highlight=

Some members brought to light the reason why...Ill fitting (all of them)Powerflex Yellow sub frame bushings.
It's an interesting thread with several good close up photos.

I tore a yellow Poweflex Subframe bushing with 435rwhp. It may have even happened while I was NA at only 300rwhp.
The bushing did NOT last very long.

Last edited by Bdave; 08-01-2012 at 03:29 PM.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:12 AM   #13
Bdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusLSB View Post
LSB Vert.. Kinda wish I had a vert with a 6466.. that would be a fun daily driver.
Perfect!

Any progress on your all out drag car?
Old 07-22-2012, 08:02 AM   #14
Maditalian232531

My Ride: 02 LSB vert M3
its a hamann lip, i need to repaint it. Thanx Marcus, congrats on your 10 second M3, thats prob fun to drive as well!!
Old 07-22-2012, 03:50 PM   #15
MarcusLSB

My Ride: BMW's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdave View Post
Perfect!

Any progress on your all out drag car?
Yes and no.. been insanely busy with some stuff and hope to get back on the wagon with that build very soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maditalian232531 View Post
its a hamann lip, i need to repaint it. Thanx Marcus, congrats on your 10 second M3, thats prob fun to drive as well!!
Thanks! It is when I'm not breaking things!

youtube.com/marcuslsb -- Check out photography by Gheybe!

New Build by Lab22

Old 07-24-2012, 07:54 PM   #16
HPF Chris
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 2002 M3, 2006 530i
All washed and ready for the transplant.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:44 PM   #17
HPF Erik
Past Site Sponsor

So here's a little update on Sal's stage 2.

Sal's car came in with some issues that we had to take care of before we got into turbo charging his engine. we found that his car was making low compression on a few cylinders due to a blown head gasket.

so the head had to come off.

We sent the head out to the guys at M&B to get cleaned up and decked. we then cleaned up and straight edged the block to make sure we would get a good seal on the new gasket. i tried to get a few pics of the cleaned up head but by the time i found out it was here Chris K had it back on already. good news is that Sal is getting a new OEM head gasket and our L19 headstuds to make sure this doesn't happen again anytime soon.

after that Chris K put in his Stage 2 clutch and got to work on his subframe reinforcement

subframe out and bushings installed.

Chris K welding the plates in. ooooooooh fancy action shot!

some of the finished product. this will get a layer of undercoating put over it before the subframe goes back on so that it doesn't rust.

while we had the subframe out we noticed that Sal's differential mount bushings were toast.

so hes going to be getting a set of solid aluminum diff mounts so that this will never happen again. yay for upgrades!!! .

thats about all we have for now on this car. heads back on except for the vanos unit (which is at doc vanos being repaired). as soon as we get that back we will be putting his turbo kit on the car. Sal has also opted into the HPF Ti exhaust instead of his current setup.

more to come!!!
Old 08-15-2012, 03:07 PM   #18
Bdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Erik View Post
So here's a little update on Sal's stage 2.

so hes going to be getting a set of solid aluminum diff mounts so that this will never happen again. yay for upgrades!!! .

thats about all we have for now on this car. heads back on except for the vanos unit (which is at doc vanos being repaired). as soon as we get that back we will be putting his turbo kit on the car. Sal has also opted into the HPF Ti exhaust instead of his current setup.

more to come!!!
Why not poly bushings? I have heard reports of pretty bad NVH with the solids. Are the AGK poly bushings not very strong?

Last edited by Bdave; 08-15-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:24 PM   #19
7to3_enthusiast

My Ride: '04 LSB 6spd M3
nice. subscribed. Chris, do you recommend the ARP stud kits for all stage 1 and 2 kits? That's the only issue I've seen with those kits are the heads lifting.

04 LSB M3
6sp, BSW stage 1, 19" Forgestar, PSS's, MXP exhaust, K&n intake, h&r springs, koni shocks.
87 rx7 tII 6266 BB .84 a/r in the works
00 Saturn sc2, DD, 36+ mpg
Old 08-15-2012, 03:29 PM   #20
02black330ci

My Ride: spaceship
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7to3_enthusiast View Post
nice. subscribed. Chris, do you recommend the ARP stud kits for all stage 1 and 2 kits? That's the only issue I've seen with those kits are the heads lifting.
I stand corrected......

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...6&postcount=15

Last edited by 02black330ci; 08-15-2012 at 03:47 PM.
Closed Thread