E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-17-2012, 11:53 AM   #81
GSherbs

My Ride: 2002 330 xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by josephi View Post
Wow. I believe the torque spec for those studs is only about 11 ft/lbs, and the cap nuts is about 8 ft/lbs, which is very light and shouldn't have resulted in stripped threads. Was the VCG replaced before, and is it possible that someone else may have overtightened the nuts/studs and weakened the threads in the process?
I recall reading somewhere that torque wrenches can be notoriously inaccurate at settings that are near either end of their range...

You may want to test your torque wrench for accuracy.
GSherbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:48 PM   #82
alhayek

My Ride: 2002 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
Good. You must've faced Bavaria and kneeled 3x (As DMAX says) with genuine bmw coolant smeared on your forehead in a round shape with genuine 5w-30 motor oil as an outline and a mango in your pocket.

Was it 120A?
Lol... Sound like an idea for a new church. yes its 120A
Old 07-17-2012, 03:53 PM   #83
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by alhayek View Post
Lol... Sound like an idea for a new church. yes its 120A
Good. $37. Bmaparts.com. I dont think its in their catalog so call and order it.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:06 PM   #84
///MPR77

My Ride: 02 ///M3 Tri-Ped
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
This happened to me as well. 6 times in one month per TIS, 4 new valve cover gaskets. 3 different sealants.

guess what the fix was? new valve cover. old one was visibly warped. I'm going to do a post on this soon with pictures.. haven't had time
interesting.....

I replaced my VCG back in March, and I now have a leak in the back corner pass/side of the VC.

Interested to see if mine is warped too.

Bewahren Sie ihre ultimative fahrmaschine
///MPR77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:12 AM   #85
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Michael,

That rt. rear bolt is the hardest to get to, I think. And that bolt pattern is pretty specific and makes a difference.

Then there's the torque issue...I've said and mostly still sort of believe, that up until the time the screw hits the head, the torque only comes from compression of the grommet and that increases very slightly as one tightens down a vc with new gasket. I'd learned 'down to head' and then stop. Mango has said he goes to full stop and then backs it off a few turns (I'm pretty sure).

I have noticed that my vc seems to be bent up a little, but as all my screws are down to the head, I attribute this to the vcg I used, which seems to sit proud of vc just about 1-2 mm more than my old one did (my brittle one which I did at 180K or so).

I'm thinking that a vc could get bent, like mine, and still seal fine with even torque...

Anywhoooo...have you tried just tightening that one corner bolt or going through the pattern again down to when screw stops...in slow stages. Might get lucky!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:46 PM   #86
///MPR77

Hey Doug,

I first tried snugging the rear left bolt, and it seemed nice and tight, however it still leaked,albeit less, but still leaked.

Then I decided to loosen all the bolts a bit, and retighten them paying very close attention to the pattern, and it still leaked.

Yesterday I went and picked up a new gasket and grommets, along with some ultra black rtv. I let the engine cool for at least four hours, and replaced the VCG.
When I had the VC off, I held it up like I would to inspect a guitar neck for anomalies.
The VC looked straight, with no signs of warping. The car sat for 8 hours before I drove it, and after a quick drive to inspect the seal; I find it to be leaking from the front left corner on the long side of the VC, opposed to the short side with halfmoons.

Now how I tightened it:
I seated the hex nuts and grommets on all of the VC studs, and then snugged all of them from: back left>front right. Back right> front left. I repeated this working my way through all of them.
Next, I went back and put the final torque of 7ft/lbs in the same pattern as described before.

Epiphany!.....As I am typing this I feel like I remember the nut right where I am getting my new leak to feel a bit more slack than the others, when I did the final torque pass.

Are these VCs really that temperamental?

Last edited by ///MPR77; 07-22-2012 at 01:02 PM.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:03 PM   #87
dmax

The pattern should be from the center out...including the screws over the plug holes...but from the center out...and it sounds like you're going diagonally across from back to front and front to back.

There must the be prescribed pattern in spaghettidecoder.org I'm sure...if not, I'll see if Bentley has it.

Make sure you don't have any residue of rtv from before...or anything stuck up in valve cover...though based on how new it is...me? I'd just loosen them up a bit and try a different pattern. If you do take cover off again, though, check the head and moons for rtv residue and clean it up well.

GL!

...and Bentley says in one reference, 18 ft-lb for vc screws, but recall seeing it listed as less than that elsewhere.

...anyway...good luck...let us know what it turns out to be...and try just working on tightening from the inside center out slowly...like an exploding firework!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com

Last edited by dmax; 07-22-2012 at 02:10 PM.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:14 PM   #88
///MPR77

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
The pattern should be from the center out...including the screws over the plug holes...but from the center out...and it sounds like you're going diagonally across from back to front and front to back.

There must the be prescribed pattern in spaghettidecoder.org I'm sure...if not, I'll see if Bentley has it.

Make sure you don't have any residue of rtv from before...or anything stuck up in valve cover...though based on how new it is...me? I'd just loosen them up a bit and try a different pattern. If you do take cover off again, though, check the head and moons for rtv residue and clean it up well.

GL!
Thanks Again Doug, I definitely did it corner to corner

First, I will try to loosen them with VC intact, resnug in the proper pattern, and hope for the best.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:39 PM   #89
redbull 325is

My Ride: 325xit/6
Send a message via AIM to redbull 325is
tl/dr but i do see a few cracked valve covers come through the shop..
Old 07-22-2012, 08:21 PM   #90
dmax

If the crack was the source, though, OP's leak wouldn't have moved when he redid the vc...so I don't think that'll be his issue...just saying...I wasn't too lazy to read this thread! LOL

A recent set

Old 07-24-2012, 04:22 PM   #91
///MPR77

Day 2 after loosening, and retightening from center out to each corner. No leaks or seepage!
Thanks Doug

Old 07-24-2012, 04:57 PM   #92
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
the problem is you have the install the VCG dry (do not lube/oil the gasket). you need to clean up the matting surface too (no oil and debris)
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:10 PM   #93
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: 2000 E46 with 254K
Rienz=JUNK!!!!!!!!!!! Never use those gaskets. They had a bad batch of gaskets I have personally warrantied 15 of them at our shop that we did. I went back to OEM BMW gaskets no more problems!!!!!!!!

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech
JB Eurotech Service "Your Reasonable Dealer Alternative"

General Questions can be sent to appointment@jbeurotech.com

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
jbeurotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:35 AM   #94
flashmeow
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeurotech View Post
Rienz=JUNK!!!!!!!!!!! Never use those gaskets. They had a bad batch of gaskets I have personally warrantied 15 of them at our shop that we did. I went back to OEM BMW gaskets no more problems!!!!!!!!
I thought victor reinz is an oem supplier to bmw?

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App
Old 07-25-2012, 08:52 AM   #95
das boots

My Ride: '90 M3 & '05 ZHP
OEM, yes. OE? No. There is a big difference. Just my .02. That is why I always specify if the item is OE when I inquire something from a seller......

Lawrence
BMW CCA San Diego Chapter #192742

'89 M Technic II Coupe Track Car - RIP
'90 M3 - Garage Queen
'91 M Technic II Cabriolet 5 Spd - #2 Son's DD
'92 525i 5 Spd - Sold but not forgotten
'03 530i 5 Spd - S.O.'s DD
'05 330 ZHP 6 Spd - My DD
'09 328i 2 Dr Step - #1 Son's DD
das boots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:13 AM   #96
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by das boots View Post
OEM, yes. OE? No. There is a big difference. Just my .02. That is why I always specify if the item is OE when I inquire something from a seller......
Correct. I used to use alot of Victor Rienz gaskets no more had way to many warranty issues with them. Replacing stuff for free sucks!!!!!!

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:46 AM   #97
flashmeow
Banned User

Yes? So u agree that there is a difference between OE vs OEM but u r the one that said "you went back to OEM BMW."
Victor Reinz is an OEM/OES to BMW.

In an older.and different thread u mentioned the same about VDO/Siemen fuel pump. This is strange since VDO is the OEM that makes bmw fuel pump.

Not trying to start drama but I think u had a bad technician that wasn't following SOP when replacing the fuel pump/vcg. That tech decided to.cover his track by blaming the parts and poor.QA/QC.

Also...I am sure the company reimbursed u (although at a discount rate) for.warranty repair. Therefore saying fixing stuff for.free is a bit of.a stretch

Btw...no need to educate me on oem vs oe. I already know the difference since I have been buying parts more often than the regular joes.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:55 AM   #98
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashtwosix View Post
Yes? So u agree that there is a difference between OE vs OEM but u r the one that said "you went back to OEM BMW."
Victor Reinz is an OEM/OES to BMW.

In an older.and different thread u mentioned the same about VDO/Siemen fuel pump. This is strange since VDO is the OEM that makes bmw fuel pump.

Not trying to start drama but I think u had a bad technician that wasn't following SOP when replacing the fuel pump/vcg. That tech decided to.cover his track by blaming the parts and poor.QA/QC.

Also...I am sure the company reimbursed u (although at a discount rate) for.warranty repair. Therefore saying fixing stuff for.free is a bit of.a stretch

Btw...no need to educate me on oem vs oe. I already know the difference since I have been buying parts more often than the regular joes.

They do not reimburse labor..... So yes FREE. No my techs are following SOP. Victor rienz has a high failure rate on the E46 gaskets. This has been noted by the whole BIMRS.org group we pressured our main vender to carry Goetz gaskets for this reason. But I am sure you know the whole history and are a much better mechanic than we are. Victor Rienz DID not make the original BMW valve cover gasket. As for the VDO pumps I stand behind the statement. Maybe they improved quality but its not worth the risk to me.

Same with Febi Bilstien there cam sensors are wonderfull POS's

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech

Old 07-25-2012, 10:03 AM   #99
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Installed the Reinz vcg myself year ago and no leaks yet, but I'll take heed of your experience.

Confused regarding Siemans/VDO fuel pump. I thought this was the pump from BMW when car was new and the main one we all replace our old pumps with? Please clarify.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:11 AM   #100
das boots

My Ride: '90 M3 & '05 ZHP
????? Did I by chance enter an ongoing 'family feud' that I do not know about???? Well...time for me to exit stage left.

Lawrence
BMW CCA San Diego Chapter #192742

'89 M Technic II Coupe Track Car - RIP
'90 M3 - Garage Queen
'91 M Technic II Cabriolet 5 Spd - #2 Son's DD
'92 525i 5 Spd - Sold but not forgotten
'03 530i 5 Spd - S.O.'s DD
'05 330 ZHP 6 Spd - My DD
'09 328i 2 Dr Step - #1 Son's DD
das boots is offline   Reply With Quote