E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Food Talk

Food Talk
Do you like food? If so, you came to the right off-topic section. Discuss your favorite food topics here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-15-2012, 01:16 PM   #1
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Paleo Chicken Marinara - Crockpot recipe

I hope this turns out to taste good, although, I don't see how it couldn't......it was made out of things I had laying around the house.

- 2 lbs boneless/skinless chicken boob
- 2 zucchinis chopped
- 4 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 4 stalks chopped celery
- 14.5oz can of low sodium chopped tomatoes
- 1 jar organic marinara sauce
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1tbsp thyme
- a handful of purple basil that we have growing out back
- crushed red pepper to taste
- 12oz baby bella mushrooms

After shopping everything up I threw it all in the crockpot. The chicken breast was frozen, so I just threw them in whole. I'll add the mushrooms in a few hours because they'll cook faster. Once the pot is done I'll shred the chicken, return it to the sauce and let it cook for another 45 minutes, or so.

I'll post a few more pictures later on....

Untitled by lucasmax12, on Flickr

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:40 PM   #2
StrummerE46

My Ride: 330ci ZHP
Send a message via AIM to StrummerE46
that sounds fvcking amazing. what constitutes something as being paleo? ive heard the term tossed around a lot but never got a good answer

braucht mehr low
StrummerE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:47 PM   #3
evolved

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrummerE46 View Post
that sounds fvcking amazing. what constitutes something as being paleo? ive heard the term tossed around a lot but never got a good answer
Thanks! I hope it turns out ok....although, I love all of the ingredients so I don't see how it couldn't taste good. Your recipes are always fantastic looking, by the way.

DylloS is the resident expert on paleo, but I'll try my best. The main idea is to eat what cavemen used to eat......no grains, no nuts, nothing processed. Basically meat, vegetables, and I think sweet potatoes are allowed. No hydrogenated oils (vegatable oil, peanut oil, etc.). Things like butter, olive oil, coconut oil, and avocado are all good fats.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
Old 07-15-2012, 02:26 PM   #4
StrummerE46

hmmm that sounds interesting. what about sugars and spices?

braucht mehr low
Old 07-15-2012, 05:02 PM   #5
evolved

Just added a big package of mushrooms.....it's coming along nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrummerE46 View Post
hmmm that sounds interesting. what about sugars and spices?
Most spices, as far as I know, are just fine. Sugar is fine as long as it's natural and unprocessed....DylloS may be able to clarify on this, as I mentioned.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past

E46Sig
Old 07-15-2012, 06:54 PM   #6
StrummerE46

so howd it come out?

braucht mehr low
Old 07-15-2012, 09:57 PM   #7
evolved

I essentially took a paleo dish and made it non-paleo by putting whole wheat pasta under it, but after working around the yard and house since 9am, I was OK with the non-paleo addition. I also grated fresh pecorino romano on top of it.

It was fricken delicious. Came out just spicy enough.....the garlic wasn't too overpowering, and all the flavors pretty much stayed in tact.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past

E46Sig
Old 07-16-2012, 01:00 PM   #8
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
Thanks! I hope it turns out ok....although, I love all of the ingredients so I don't see how it couldn't taste good. Your recipes are always fantastic looking, by the way.

DylloS is the resident expert on paleo, but I'll try my best. The main idea is to eat what cavemen used to eat......no grains, no nuts, nothing processed. Basically meat, vegetables, and I think sweet potatoes are allowed. No hydrogenated oils (vegatable oil, peanut oil, etc.). Things like butter, olive oil, coconut oil, and avocado are all good fats.
Nuts are ok. Peanuts aren't because they aren't actually nuts. Maybe that's where you got mixed up. They are legumes which aren't paleo either. You pretty much got it though. Meats, eggs, nuts, fruits, veggies, all spices as long as it's not filled with crap and prepackaged like taco seasoning. No hydrogenated oils of any kind. Avocados are amazing foods. Dairy is fine if you can handle it too. Most likely if it comes in a box or isn't purchased around the perimeter of the grocery store it's probably not too good for you.

The main thing is no gluten which takes out grains which we all know are breads, oats, pastas, rice etc, and no sugars, or crappy oils.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post

I essentially took a paleo dish and made it non-paleo by putting whole wheat pasta under it, but after working around the yard and house since 9am, I was OK with the non-paleo addition. I also grated fresh pecorino romano on top of it.

It was fricken delicious. Came out just spicy enough.....the garlic wasn't too overpowering, and all the flavors pretty much stayed in tact.
I do that sometimes too. At least your making your meals healthier by cutting the crap out of half of it. I might try this this week.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:38 PM   #9
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

My Ride: is slowww
Send a message via AIM to Adam@Euro-Spec
Looks good i may make this soon.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App
Adam@Euro-Spec is online now   Reply With Quote