E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-22-2012, 12:44 PM   #1
Westrace

My Ride: 06 G35, 04 M3 Coupe
What could be causing this uneven brake wear?

I recently had my tires changed to 245f/275r about three weeks ago, but I don't remember if this problem started before or only after the tire change. The left front brake disc seems to show quite a bit of uneven wear. There is no vibration on the highway when just driving, but when I sort of put my foot on the brake pedal, I do feel some mild vibration.
Only the left front brake disc shows uneven wear but the other three are fine.

Do you think there could be something with the tires? Or could be something else?

Pic of left front brake disc. The inner part sees fine but the outer part shows these lines wear.

Pic of right front brake disc, no such problem:

Last edited by Westrace; 07-22-2012 at 12:47 PM.
Westrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:26 PM   #2
sakumaxp

My Ride: 02 M3 convertible
im no brake expert, but i doubt tires would cause uneven wear on the rotors. try changing all 4 along with pads and see if the problem persists.

Carbon Black Metallic
SMG II
Verttttt
VCSL Front Bumper
VCSL 1 Piece Splitter
VIS GTR Hood
6K Angel Eyes
VMR VB3 19's
KW V2 coilovers
sakumaxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:41 PM   #3
$ilent ///M

My Ride: 03.5 M3 smg lsb
may need caliper rebuild kit and/or brake bleed. the square seal that help retract the pads from the rotor may be worn causing the brakes to ride. also lube the guide pins
$ilent ///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:45 PM   #4
bwallace530

My Ride: 325
I have seen it from bad calipers.

They can be chipped have a chunk taken out.

The calipers are actually pretty soft material.

When did you change the pads they look like they are bad. Maybe got some rocks in there and they groved the pad.

Your best bet it go to les scwab get a free estimate or take them off and see what the problem is.

But you need too do a full brake Job now just replacing that side will be pointless, you can get all brakes and pads for around 230 for drilled and slotted.

Last edited by bwallace530; 07-22-2012 at 02:50 PM.
bwallace530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:37 PM   #5
tsimurph

My Ride: E46 M3
Unlikely the tire change has anything to do with your brake issue.
There could be several thing going on:
1. Cracked pad. 2. Caliper hanging up (not completely releasing) 3. Bent guide pin allowing the caliper to become unsquare with the rotor. 4. Sticky guide pins keeping the caliper from sliding freely 5. Some debris caught between the caliper and the rotor.
You need to disassemble that side and investigate further.
tsimurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:55 PM   #6
abakos

My Ride: 2004 M3 Coupe, 6-spd
Something weird is going on...that is to say, that's not normal.

I've seen all kinds of weird things happen, including cross-threaded caliper pins, rust on carrier so pads don't slide, and sticky calipers. I'd do a teardown and see if the pins and pads are sliding okay, and then also see if the piston is hanging up badly. If the piston is hanging up, then just get some new ones from bimmerworld along with a rebuild kit.

Either way, you're going to need a new rotor.
2004 M3 SMG - Silver Grey on Black, Convertible - RIP
1995 525I 5spd - Black on Black -Sold
2004 X3 3.0i AT- Blue on Tan - For the wife....
abakos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:59 PM   #7
Westrace

Do you guys thing the guy who did the tire job may have done something that could have damaged either the brake caliper or something to the brake pads?
Also is it possible to resurface the rotor?

Last edited by Westrace; 07-22-2012 at 08:10 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:05 PM   #8
tsimurph

Not during the normal course of changing a tire, but who knows what they really did.... If you are going to return to the tire place to tell them you think that they did it you will have a slim chance of proving it; but I guess it is worth a try.
Don't be cheap in attempting to cut the rotor as BMW doesn't sanction it and that one looks like you would have to remove a lot of metal to get it flat. Buy a new one. The other side looks reasonably new so even though I don't reccommend it you might get away with just changing the one side. Usually they are changed in pairs per axle.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:10 PM   #9
DSilk56

My Ride: M-3 Convertible
Tire shops have an extremely annoying habit of over-torquing wheel bolts when they put the wheels back on your car. They use a compressor-driven socket that puts the bolts on WAY too tight, and this can warp your rotors. If you cannot remove the bolts using a simple spanner, without the need to jump on it or use a mallet, they are on too tight.

Last edited by DSilk56; 07-23-2012 at 12:13 PM.
DSilk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:17 AM   #10
tmiked

My Ride: 04 M3
Stuck caliper.
Remove & rebuild
tmiked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:48 AM   #11
Westrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiked View Post
Stuck caliper.
Remove & rebuild
When at speed, if I just slightly tap on the brake pedal, I do feel a pulsating stream on the brake pedal and on the steering wheel as well, but I wouldn't characterize it as vibration since that may be too strong. If I do stomp on it and brake hard, I don't really feel any vibration and it feels pretty solid and if there's any vibration , it's probably from the road surface. I think I can tell the difference if it comes from the rotor or the road because the rotor will give a more periodic vibration.

My guess is the brake pads are riding on the rotor which is causing the uneven line. This morning when I looked at the rotor surface closely, I saw a couple of pretty sharp cuts on the surface.

If the rotor is warped, then braking hard would feel the vibration the most I think but it doesn't seem to be the case. The car has about 100K miles so I am not sure if the previous owner ever did any maintenance on the brake calipers.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:11 PM   #12
bwallace530

My Ride: 325
You need to take it apart and see im surprised your still driving it and have not even seen a shop or checked it out your self.

Every single person here is guessing until you take the wheel and caliper off.
bwallace530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:04 PM   #13
Westrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwallace530 View Post
You need to take it apart and see im surprised your still driving it and have not even seen a shop or checked it out your self.

Every single person here is guessing until you take the wheel and caliper off.
Will soon but most likely at a shop. August is a three pay check month so the timing is very good.
and "Draghi just put a floor on the market". :-)
Also I have a set of springs and shocks so I plan to do them all at the same time.

But thanks for all the responses.

Last edited by Westrace; 07-26-2012 at 03:48 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:47 PM   #14
Westrace

I sure feel like an idiot. The problem was simple as re-torquing the bolts. All I did was loosen the bolts a bit, and re-torque at 88lbs-ft. I did this on Sunday and after driving for awhile, I didn't feel any vibration. I wasn't quite sure but after driving for two more days, I am pretty sure the vibration has gone away.

I mean these people are paid but if they can't get something as basic as torquing, I don't know what to say.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:05 AM   #15
tsimurph

Glad you found the problem. It is becoming harder and harder to find anyone trustworthy to work on your car anymore.....
Old 09-27-2012, 03:38 AM   #16
Beamer Creamer

My Ride: 2005 bmw m3
Machine or looks like replace rotors on both fronts. Inspect caliper slides and if piston seizing? Slides must have worked to get it to wear on the outside of rotor but rocks dont make that many grooves? New pads of course after rotor swap. Push piston into caliper till flush then watch as brake is stepped on. Not from tires for sure. Clean and antiseize slides.
Beamer Creamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:13 AM   #17
roadtrip1098

My Ride: 04 M3 SMG LSB
Sounds like a warped rotor. I'd recommend replacing them. I have to do the same on mine when I tear it down for the Winter. Not a bad idea to check wheel bearings while you're at it.
roadtrip1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:06 AM   #18
BWOODM3

My Ride: 2002 M3 convertible
So your problem was the lug bolts needed to be torqued to spec? Wow, didn't think over tightened lug bolts would cause that. I can't stand it when shops allow their employees to tighten lug nuts/bolts with air. Last couple times I've had a shop take off my wheels, I made sure to stand in and watch to make sure their using torque wrenches and anti seize to put the wheels back on.
BWOODM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:06 AM   #19
Westrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWOODM3 View Post
So your problem was the lug bolts needed to be torqued to spec? Wow, didn't think over tightened lug bolts would cause that. I can't stand it when shops allow their employees to tighten lug nuts/bolts with air. Last couple times I've had a shop take off my wheels, I made sure to stand in and watch to make sure their using torque wrenches and anti seize to put the wheels back on.
I think the M3 rotors are probably lighter, thinner, and maybe a bit softer and are designed for performance and light weight so they are probably more sensitive to over-torqued. I never had this issue before on any of my previous "low end" cars.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:01 AM   #20
Alan

My Ride: 2006 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWOODM3 View Post

What are they doing with the anti-seize?

Alan is offline   Reply With Quote