E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-27-2012, 02:53 AM   #1
srn1985

My Ride: Audi A4 S-line
Netflix class action suit settlement...they invaded your privacy?

I barely looked over the whole 19 page letigation but apparently they kept your log and or history of what kind of movies your like against your will and way longer than need be.

It affects all current and past subscribers...no you don't get shyt from the settlement unless you want to object yourself from the class settlement and fight your own battle...but is it worth it

Quote:
"If You Are a Current or Former Netflix Subscriber
A Class Action Settlement Could Affect You

Para una notificación en Español, llamar 1-866-898-5088 o visitar www.VideoPrivacyClass.com

Our records show that you were a current or former Netflix subscriber as of July 5, 2012. We are emailing to tell you about a Settlement that may affect your legal rights. Please read this email carefully. Go to www.VideoPrivacyClass.com for more information.

A Settlement has been reached in a class action lawsuit that claims Netflix unlawfully kept and disclosed information, including records on the movies and TV shows its customers viewed. Netflix denies that it has done anything wrong.

What does the Settlement provide?

Netflix has agreed to change its data retention practices so that it separates (known as “decoupling”) Entertainment Content Viewing History (that is, movies and TV shows that someone watched) from identification information for those subscribers who have not been a Netflix subscriber for at least 365 days, with some exceptions.

In addition, Netflix will pay $9 million into a Settlement Fund to:
• Make donations to Court-approved not-for-profit organizations, institutions, or programs.
• Pay notice and settlement administration expenses.
• Pay attorneys’ fees of up to 25% or $2.25 million of the Settlement Fund, plus up to $25,000 in expenses.
• Pay a total incentive award of $30,000 to the Named Plaintiffs.

Proposals from potential donation recipients will be sought, and, after consideration, recommendations will be made to the Court. A list of the proposed donation recipients will be posted on the website.

Your Options

If you do nothing, you will remain in the Settlement and your rights will be affected. If you do not want to be included, you must exclude yourself by November 14, 2012. If you exclude yourself you will keep your right to sue Netflix about the claims in this lawsuit. If you remain in the Settlement, you can object to it by November 14, 2012.

The Court will hold a hearing on December 5, 2012 to consider any objections, whether to approve the Settlement, award attorneys’ fees, and incentive award. You can appear at the hearing, but you don’t have to. You can hire your own attorney, at your own expense, to appear or speak for you at the hearing.

For more information: 1-866-898-5088 www.VideoPrivacyClass.com
PO Box 2750 Faribault, MN 55021-9750

This email and any attachments thereto may contain private, confidential, and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, copying, or distribution of this email (or any attachments thereto) by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately and permanently delete the original and any copies of this email and any attachments thereto."

PAST: 2000 323ci 5-SPEED - :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
I, for one, am glad that Netflix no longer stores the fact that I went on a 48 hour Lifetime movie marathon back in 2008

www.NETcruitz.com
---- in development
srn1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:53 AM   #2
325seeeye
Core Fanatic

My Ride: 325Ci, e36 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by srn1985 View Post
• Make donations to Court-approved not-for-profit organizations, institutions, or programs.
• Pay notice and settlement administration expenses.
• Pay attorneys’ fees of up to 25% or $2.25 million of the Settlement Fund, plus up to $25,000 in expenses.
• Pay a total incentive award of $30,000 to the Named Plaintiffs.
Pays admin fees. Pays millions to lawyers. Splits $30k between thousands of platiffs?

That seems a bit lop sided.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:40 AM   #3
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325seeeye View Post
Pays admin fees. Pays millions to lawyers. Splits $30k between thousands of platiffs?

Hey those lawyers worked hard to get this alleged problem solved.

I, for one, am glad that Netflix no longer stores the fact that I went on a 48 hour Lifetime movie marathon back in 2008
Old 07-27-2012, 09:01 AM   #4
srn1985

My Ride: Audi A4 S-line
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325seeeye View Post

That's what I said but exclude yourself and go after big fish....not worth it. Look at the case studies they use for settling

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Bimmer App

PAST: 2000 323ci 5-SPEED - :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post

www.NETcruitz.com
---- in development
srn1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:26 AM   #5
Jack_Smackus
Knight Rider

My Ride: 1993 BMW 320i
Some people of too much time on their hands.

Real Programmers Don't Document - If it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
Jack_Smackus is offline   Reply With Quote