E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-26-2012, 04:32 PM   #1
Teddy7

My Ride: slides
A/C problems? Look here first

Replace your A/C control module. You will see many people tell you to replace the FSR or water valve. Both of these are important, but the biggest neglected part when discussing A/C problems on this forum is the module. I replaced the valve, FSR, and it wasn't until I replaced the actual electronic component (the on that you physically push the buttons on) that I experienced a perfect working A/C system again. I had hot air coming out of the footwells, and dash vents, while the face (middle vents were blowing cool air). Just buy a used new version (the reconfigured button layout version) of the A/C module. I'm not saying this will fix your problem indefinitely since many of you may have slightly different symptoms, but honestly my bet will always be with module first from now on when trying to fix these e46 a/c problems. Many people replace the valve and FSR with no improvements. I started with the FSR, it fixed my intermittent blowing issues (which is exactly what it's for and it's symptoms when going bad). I then thought my warm air was being caused by my valve since I even had my water/heater valve fuse blown, bought a new valve, replaced fuse.... Nothing. I bought the new version of our a/c module for these cars and my a/c instantly stopped mixing the hot air and started blowing ice cold again. Granted, buy at your own discretion, but it worked for me. Freezing in my car now, and I've been doing nothing but dripping in sweat for the past 4 years in Florida with no A/C. Just my 2 cents and thought I should share with everybody how I came to resolve my A/C issues.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:35 PM   #2
Nervous

My Ride: 01 330CI 6MT ZSP EU3
Wrong. If you have A/C problems (what kind of, btw?) you must DIAGNOSE the problem first. And only after this you should start replacing anything.
Nervous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:38 PM   #3
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: 2000 E46 with 254K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nervous View Post
Wrong. If you have A/C problems (what kind of, btw?) you must DIAGNOSE the problem first. And only after this you should start replacing anything.
Please listen to this guy!!!!!!

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech
JB Eurotech Service "Your Reasonable Dealer Alternative"

General Questions can be sent to appointment@jbeurotech.com

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
jbeurotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:53 PM   #4
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Agreed, but thanks for letting everyone know about something else that might cause an a/c issue that can be used when diagnosing the problem.

Youtube - Electric Fan Swap - Projector Retrofit - Bulb Guide - NY to LA cross country
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:46 PM   #5
Teddy7

Quote:
Sorry I went off the assumption that everybody here should know to do that first. My apologies. This is mainly directed to the people who have diagnosed a faulty water/heater valve as the problem, but replace it to find the same problem. I am simply telling everybody here that this module caused exactly the same symptoms as a faulty water/heater valve would and replacing the valve plus fuses had no effect on the mixture of hot/cold air. If you already replaced your valve and seem to be at a dead end. Then this is your next step most likely. My b Nervous

Last edited by Teddy7; 07-26-2012 at 05:48 PM.
Teddy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:28 PM   #6
Nervous

My Ride: 01 330CI 6MT ZSP EU3
Name of the topic makes no sense. It should be '.... Look here when you are ready to give up' or something like that.
Nervous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:11 AM   #7
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
So, what did you pay for the module, and where did you get it?
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:02 AM   #8
Teddy7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJLavelle View Post
So, what did you pay for the module, and where did you get it?
Paid around 60 for it used off ebay. Just make sure you go through a reputable seller. Brand new they vary quite a bit in price range. Just make sure you get the one that has individual fan buttons on the right of the orange display and individual temp buttons on the left of the orange display.
Use this for reference, the old one is much bigger than the new one.

Last edited by Teddy7; 07-27-2012 at 08:07 AM.
Teddy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:13 AM   #9
Teddy7

Quote:
Name of the topic makes no sense. It should be '.... Look here when you are ready to give up' or something like that.
I agree, but not completely. This part will make sure your entire a/c climate control system is functioning properly before you start replacing parts. If this module is malfunctioning. I don't care what you do to the water valve. Your a/c is still going to mix hot air with cold air. The title should probably be: "Can't stop hot air from blowing into cabin? Look here first"
Old 07-27-2012, 08:19 AM   #10
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: 2000 E46 with 254K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy7 View Post
I agree, but not completely. This part will make sure your entire a/c climate control system is functioning properly before you start replacing parts. If this module is malfunctioning. I don't care what you do to the water valve. Your a/c is still going to mix hot air with cold air. The title should probably be: "Can't stop hot air from blowing into cabin? Look here first"
Why not test the system properly. The water vale is NORMALLY OPEN the IHKA powers it closed. so HMM if ytou have power to the water valve than the IHKA is probably fine.....

Or just randomly replace parts LOL

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech
JB Eurotech Service "Your Reasonable Dealer Alternative"

General Questions can be sent to appointment@jbeurotech.com

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
jbeurotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:47 AM   #11
Teddy7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeurotech View Post
Why not test the system properly. The water vale is NORMALLY OPEN the IHKA powers it closed. so HMM if ytou have power to the water valve than the IHKA is probably fine.....

Or just randomly replace parts LOL
Well guess what, my water valve definitely had power going to it prior to the module change. I'm trying to make people realize that the electronics seem to malfunction in the older modules and seem to not relay the correct responses to climate control settings. Thus, if everything is getting power and working properly like my system was prior to the module swap, you will still have no idea why you are having a/c climate control issues when everything that is supposed to be the culprit is fixed. My module let me use all the settings and had, it simply wasn't doing them properly (hence why I think bmw stopped making the much larger, older one). We all know how hard it is to get bmw to recall their products.