E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-27-2012, 05:21 PM   #1
Dr Snow

My Ride: 328i
IDECK review for stock E46 tape deck

IDECK review for stock tape deck

I have researched all the options on this forum and others to determine what I was going to do about my stock tape deck with no AUX input in my 1999 328i manual trans. I really wanted a solution to not only play my favorite internet radio stations with my Iphone in the car but determine the best location to attach a mount so I can see the phone easily when driving. I was leaning toward replacing the stock tape deck unit with a CD unit and adding the AUX cable as others on this site have done. Then I was going to mount a holder/charger somewhere in the cup holder area. I really was having a dilemma trying to figure out where am I going to mount my phone in a location that does not take over the space of one of the cup holders or get in the way of shifting.

Then I came across the IDECK, saw only one mention of it on the forum but the member had not purchased it.

The GOOD :
The best thing about this crazy little unit for me is the phone holder location, for me it's perfect. So perfect that if I had a CD unit I would want the phone exactly where the IDECK holds it.

This thing does work, you need to tinker with it a bit to get it to seat all the way in the deck to make contact with the tape head. Once you get it correct you are good to go. The sound for me is perfectly acceptable, (definitely much better than one of those FM broadcast units).

It comes with a charging cable that connects to the side and plugs into the lighter right below it. The unit will work without this cord but your phone/ipod will not charge.

It also come with various IPod holders for the different models. One of them holds my Iphone (no case) very well, however as shown in the photo I use a thin case on my phone and do not use any of the mounts. I was going to modify one to work for my phone in the case but after driving around without any holder and the phone simply plugged into the Ideck base it seems to be fine.

There is also an AUX input on the base of the unit opposite from the charger port. This can come in handy for a non Iphone, although I have not used this feature yet.

The BAD:

The IDECK is made for the IPOD not the IPHONE. What this means is you may get a message on your phone that says that it is not compatible, but you close the message and it will work fine. That's not the bad part...if you do use a Iphone like I do you hear that speaker interference when the cell towers switch..you know that sound...it sucks. Of course if you put your phone in airplane mode this goes away but who wants to do that? I have not played around with ways to eliminate this problem I'm sure I will figure something out.

You will need to play with this to make it seat into tape head correctly. What I did was heat up the plastic band that goes from the tape to the base and bend it a bit. Then I was good to go, If you get one you will see what I am talking about, its really not a big deal.

It's a little wobbly, it needs some support on the backside of the phone mount to keep it secure. I made some small l brackets out of aluminum and DB taped them to the back, this worked great.

Bottom Line:
If you are looking for a very inexpensive option to connect your Iphone to your BMW stock Tape unit without spending Hundreds of dollars this is worth a try. Hell...just get it, for $40 (on amazon) you will be playing your favorite tunes in your car in minutes and have a great holder and location for your phone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Iphone 1s.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	462392   Click image for larger version

Name:	IDECK2s.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	462393   Click image for larger version

Name:	IDECK1s.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	462394  

Last edited by Dr Snow; 07-27-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Dr Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.

Tags
aux options, ideck, tape deck